Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/10/12.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Smith's amazing Plan B again.........Butler upfront :roll:

I'm shocked, Butler up front :shock:

Well what exactly do you expect him to do?

Throw on the big, powerful centre forward on to batter them that we don't have? :?

0-1 to Sheff Utd with 10 men (by the way they have around 20,000 fans there tonight) is perfectly acceptable....

Is that why the attendance was 15,700?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Was it not a terrible back pass by Paterson? Did Holden have to make a tackle as you clearly seem to blame him for making a terrible decision :?

It was a poor back pass yes, but Holden taking him down in the penalty area, getting himself sent off so early on as well as them scoring the penalty was a poor decision. Without Patersons poor back pass it wouldn't of happened yes, but if he hadn't slid in and gotten himself send off, even if they scored, we would of had more of a chance of getting something still having 11 men. Sheffield probably would of scored from the chance, sacrificing himself so early on with a poor challenge and then them ending up scoring anyway was a poor decision that cost us as they got the goal and we were a man down.

Absolute rubbish.So what was he supposed to do? Let him have a free run on goal and not make a challenge? How do you know Sheffield would probably have scored off the chance? He may have ballooned it over but we'll never know. I suppose Holden would have been criticised for not making a challenge at all then.There was no need for Paterson to pass the ball backwards in the fudge first place!!!!!!!!!!! Paterson's the idiot AGAIN not Holden.

donnylad

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am

First game in the Walsall end last night, only went to see how young Baxo was getting on so really enjoyed the first 15 minutes!! Can I ask why your manager decides to take off Bax (who was seeing plenty of the ball) yet keeps Paterson on who had just gifted them the goal and done nothing? Seemed a strange decision to me.

Overall I think you would have got something with 11 men, Sheff Utd are nothing special.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:15 am

Football is the same with any club you support.
You dont concede goals, you dont lose.
We dont do it, so we lose most games.
End of lesson.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 am

donnylad wrote:First game in the Walsall end last night, only went to see how young Baxo was getting on so really enjoyed the first 15 minutes!! Can I ask why your manager decides to take off Bax (who was seeing plenty of the ball) yet keeps Paterson on who had just gifted them the goal and done nothing? Seemed a strange decision to me.

Overall I think you would have got something with 11 men, Sheff Utd are nothing special.

You dont have to be special to win this league, you just need to be organised and have a decent defence.
Sheffield United have both.
They havent conceded more than 1 goal in a match for 11, says it all.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:38 am

Blades fan summary of Walsall:

Walsall – Seen bits and pieces of them this season and they have definitely played some good football, getting it down and passing it and surprised some teams. Tonight they actually were slow out of the blocks and even before the red card were sitting quite deep. After they went down to ten men and went behind they seemed shell shocked initially and of course had to reorganise with changes on and off the field. They did settle down and finally came into it and had the good chance that easily could have levelled it.

They did have to concede a lot of possession but defended well and restricted us to any real chances. They probably did not deserve a draw but if they had got it; like Oldham you would not have been surprised if they had nicked a draw. They did not pile men forward and of course were caught between not throwing men forward and losing more goals and keeping it tight to have a chance of getting something. They did not disgrace themselves and were well in the game despite creating few chances after the break (one run and shot that flashed wide was about it). Credit to them for plugging away and taking the game right to the end. Cannot have been easy with 10 for long and they worked really hard and Holden really cost them any chance of really making it a proper game conceding a goal/penalty in one fell swoop. Hard to probably assess them with the numerical disadvantage they had all game. As for players I felt Chambers worked hard in the middle, butler defended well against Kitson and Blackman and Cuvelier showed some nice touches. They had little up front but had to play essentially 1 up top for the most part. Former Blade Andy Taylor was distinctly average but was put under little pressure from either player he was up against.

walsallfcconnor
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am

slipping down the league could do with 3 points at bury..

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:26 am

Disappointing to loose but 1-0 isn't a really bad result when you consider the sending off.

Anything other than avoiding a relegation dog-fight would be a realistic success for this team, but its' frustrating because we have shown signs that we could be a good team with one or two additions in the right places.

Ledesma doesn't seem to be playing much for Middlesbrough, how about a loan in January!

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am

To all the moaners on here who want Smith out etc, can I ask if you go to the games? Not being condescending just a simple question as i would like to understand if this appathy is just built up out of frustration or something I just don't see.

Ok we have had a bad month points wise but lets be positive, form wise I think we have played well just lacking in depth, I can't for the life of me think the Smithy and O'Kelly are not aware of what is needed but we must realise that the pot of gold is not that full. They both have to budget with a view on the unknown happening in the future.

For example, Walker signs, Groff is number 1, Groffs form dips but Walker is injured so do you stick with Groff? play the youth team keeper? or get in a loan keeper?

I think I would have done the same however it has coincided with a poor month points wise but compared to the last few years still lightyears better

Strikers wise, every club is looking, we are reliant on youth, Brandy is a gamble as is Connor Taylor as a youth from AVFC, what is Jabo on at MK/ £3-5k week maybe? should we have got him? maybe we went in for him but he said no, these are all things us fans are not party too but I just can't believe if the cash was there he would not go for such a player.

Anyway I am relatively happy with where we are at on the road into Xmas, expectations were raised due to August and September and we have taken a hit so lets hope this our dip and the rest of the season is up from here! UTS :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 am

Some of the comments on here sound like they expected us to win. Odd, we gave it a good go with ten men and that pleasing enough.

Really need a result at Bury though i think, otherwise we really will be on the slide.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

The lads deserve some credit for keeping it at 1-0 for so long playing with 10 men , getting a bit worried though we need a win at struggling Bury on Saturday

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 am

Cully wrote:Well that's really comforting, LLLLDL :arrow: Period

So we're not allowed to take positives out of defeats? Reductivism is pointless - we weren't the best team in the world when we were winning a month ago and we're not the worst team in the world when we're losing now. The frustrating thing about last night is that it tells us nothing about the ongoing issues we have around our strikers and formation. Playing with 10 men for 75 minutes is hardly the best way to evaluate a performance in those terms, which is why it is strange that people are so quick to add last night as another reason why the wheels have fallen off/we need to sign a big man/Smith's gorra goo etc etc.

Have to say I rather enjoyed myself :shock: . Great curry beforehand, excellent support, good bantz (OAP taunting Walsall fans is carried out on a stretcher past the away end and continues to berate us. "We can see you sneaking out". OAP returns after treatment, waves stick at us and makes Galatasaray-style throat slitting gestures. "We can see you sneaking in". OAP carried out again ten minutes later, this time apparently asleep/unconscious/dead. Great fun.

Blades keeper should have been sent off - no question. Grigg got to the ball first and the lad went through him. The save from Grigg (that almost trickled over the line) added insult to injury. We had one chance in the second half - Cuvelier played in by a poor defensive header but he shot wide from a difficult position. They had one chance second half - Darlow saving after Miller went through. Blades booed off by their own fans, Saddlers given a standing ovation by the faithful. Fancy!

Darlow 7 - not much to do to be fair. Couple of slightly dodgy kicks but a good save from Miller second half.

Taylor 8 - don't know what that Blades fan is on about, I thought he had a good game. Couple of great tackles and used the ball well. I like him a lot.

Butler 8 - Very good game. He thrives on this sort of backs-to-the-wall performance but he really was excellent. Kitson resorted to manhandling him and even tripped him off the ball at one point, for which he was booked.

Holden 4 - Put in a horrible position for the Blades' goal. Down the far end so would like to see a replay - nobody would have blamed him if Kitson had scored but he had to make a decision and it seemed a clear penalty and sending off.

@Taundz 7 - Eat it haterz, I thought he did well. Seems more composed on the ball and even though there were a few misplaced passes he was generally tidy.

Paterson 6 - Shocking mistake for the goal and he struggled to get into the game after that. Not sure he deserved the cheer when he got subbed though.

Baxendale 5 - No time to make an impact before being sacrificed. Agree that it was a toss up between him and Paterson for who got subbed but keeping Paterson on the left and switching Cuvelier right made sense in our 4-4-1. Felt sorry for the chap from Donny who came to see him!

Featherstone 7 - Business as usual. Uses the ball so well and reads the game brilliantly.

Cuvelier 8 - By far our biggest threat. Ran at the Blades defence almost single-handedly and it would have been a fabulous assist if Grigg had scored from his pinpoint pull-back. Faded late on and saw little of the ball on the right in the last 20 minutes.

Chambers 9 - Back to his best. Like Butler he seems to thrive on adversity and he did a great job of breaking up play. He also used the ball well and he has a much better first touch than people give him credit for - that's important in our system. His return will be crucial in allowing Cuvelier to get forward more.

Grigg 6 - Did well to recover from the appalling challenge by their keeper. Did everything right for our best chance of the game - hit the target with a first time shot but keeper did well to get a hand to it. Saw little of the ball second half.

Subs

Downing 7 - Actually rather impressed. Slightly hesitant in challenging for a few headers but made some important blocks and looked composed. He's a unit too, which helps.

Bowerman 6 - We created little for the frontmen in the second half and Bowerman had little chance to impress.

Hemmings 5 - Looked the least technically gifted of our players on the pitch in the time he had. Couple of miscontrolled balls and wayward passes.

It's easy to see why Sheffield United haven't scored many goals this season - they simply don't create much. They remind me of us in the way they try to play, but not as good! Good in possession but lacking penetration. They rarely resorted to hoofing it and fair play to them for that. Williams is a cracking attacking left back at this level and Doyle does a good job in the 'Featherstone' role for them. Dave Kitson, however, was absolutely woeful. No wonder he's the secret footballer - I wouldn't admit to being Dave Kitson after a performance like that. Butler loved the scrap and Kitson (who is actually a lot bigger than I imagined) spent all game either trying to manhandle him or moan to the ref. When they brought Miller on they instantly looked more likely to score.

As I say, plenty of positives to take out of this game in terms of spirit and defensive organisation. I know it's slightly different defending as a team when you're down to ten men but ironically that was probably one of our best defensive performances of the season.

All aboard the He'sGorraGoo bus to Bury!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 am

Disappointed not to get anything as I thought we were well worth a point. Sheff Utd must've had a major off night as their performance certainly didn't reflect their league position.

As for the sending off, no complaints. Stonewall penalty and definite red card. However, I think it is harsh to blame Holden. I don't think he had much choice in bringing Kitson down after being sold down the river by Pato with a suicidal back pass. Pato should be crucified for that but instead, Holden is somehow the villain?

The next major talking point was their keeper's tackle on Will Grigg, I must say that if that was any other area of the pitch with an outfield player the referee wouldn't have hesitated it producing a red card. He went in studs showing and it was a horrific tackle that could've easily broken Grigg's leg. Once again it's diabolical officiating at this level.

As for Grigg not looking like scoring, I think you'll find that he had our two best chances. The one mentioned above where he was pole-axed by the keeper and the other a few minutes later when the keeper pulled off a brilliant save to deny him. Grigg certainly suits the lone striker role a lot better than Bowerman. He's not ideal for it obviously but I don't think he did much wrong tonight considering he ended up playing up top on his own with very little support. Bowerman is more of a poacher who cannot play up top on his own.

As for the rest of the match, both teams pretty much cancelled each other out. I don't think either team looked much like scoring after the penalty. I cannot recall Darlow being forced into more than about 2 saves all game, one of which was flagged offside anyway!

Poor game but I think we can take many positive from it. First off the performance of Downing. He looked very solid when he came on. Also, Featherstone shone again, at the heart of all our best attacking plays along with Flo, who although isolated on the wing, still threatened at times. Overall it was a good team performance and I think 11 v 11, or even 10v10 like it should've been, Sheff Utd would have been there for the taking.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am

bangsection wrote:

Have to say I rather enjoyed myself :shock: . Great curry beforehand, excellent support, good bantz (OAP taunting Walsall fans is carried out on a stretcher past the away end and continues to berate us. "We can see you sneaking out". OAP returns after treatment, waves stick at us and makes Galatasaray-style throat slitting gestures. "We can see you sneaking in". OAP carried out again ten minutes later, this time apparently asleep/unconscious/dead. Great fun.

The two stewards at the front behind the goal we nearly peeing themselves laughing with some of the chants we came out with :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 am

King Crimson wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:If this squad had depth, maybe one big forward, we would have beaten them 10-1.

Bonser OUT.

Smith OUT.

Whalley OUT.

Brain cells OUT.

:arrow: cretins

The squad doesn't need greater depth, but better balance.

This is Smith's team, Smith's squad. When he declares to the media in a post-match interview that he has a 'young' team - that's his choice. When he chucks Andy Butler up front because his strikers are kids, dwarves or both, that's his decision on how to deploy finite resources.

When he buys in a goalkeeper due to lack of form/confidence of our newly-designated number 1, with another veteran goalkeeper on the wage bill also, that's his choice too.
It's only cretinous to suggest that somehow the budget -however modest - and the manager's squad are mysteriously unconnected. Could he have afforded an experienced striker if he'd prioritised it? Absolutely. End of.

This.

If even constructive criticism is written off as brainless cretins then it's time to close down the site and everybody sit quietley whilst clapping at everything (good and bad).

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:47 am

tinned wrote:
This.

If even constructive criticism is written off as brainless cretins then it's time to close down the site and everybody sit quietley whilst clapping at everything (good and bad).

KC's criticism is absolutely constructive. But Funk's comment wasn't aimed at KC - the "brainless cretins" comment was aimed at the minority on this site who, for reasons known only to themselves, seem utterly delighted that our current poor run of form allows them to stick the boot in with comments like:

"The drop in form and league table position was literally 100% only a matter of time"

"The only way is down now"

etc etc

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Disappointed not to get anything as I thought we were well worth a point. Sheff Utd must've had a major off night as their performance certainly didn't reflect their league position.

As for the sending off, no complaints. Stonewall penalty and definite red card. However, I think it is harsh to blame Holden. I don't think he had much choice in bringing Kitson down after being sold down the river by Pato with a suicidal back pass. Pato should be crucified for that but instead, Holden is somehow the villain? Well said!

The next major talking point was their keeper's tackle on Will Grigg, I must say that if that was any other area of the pitch with an outfield player the referee wouldn't have hesitated it producing a red card. He went in studs showing and it was a horrific tackle that could've easily broken Grigg's leg. Once again it's diabolical officiating at this level.

As for Grigg not looking like scoring, I think you'll find that he had our two best chances. The one mentioned above where he was pole-axed by the keeper and the other a few minutes later when the keeper pulled off a brilliant save to deny him. Grigg certainly suits the lone striker role a lot better than Bowerman. He's not ideal for it obviously but I don't think he did much wrong tonight considering he ended up playing up top on his own with very little support. Bowerman is more of a poacher who cannot play up top on his own.

As for the rest of the match, both teams pretty much cancelled each other out. I don't think either team looked much like scoring after the penalty. I cannot recall Darlow being forced into more than about 2 saves all game, one of which was flagged offside anyway!

Poor game but I think we can take many positive from it. First off the performance of Downing. He looked very solid when he came on. Also, Featherstone shone again, at the heart of all our best attacking plays along with Flo, who although isolated on the wing, still threatened at times. Overall it was a good team performance and I think 11 v 11, or even 10v10 like it should've been, Sheff Utd would have been there for the taking.

lichsaddler

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am

Another good performance from us tonight I thought. The sending off was blatant - agree that it was clumsy and a bad decision by Holden but the blame has to lie with Paterson.

A few things I would like to mention
1. Paterson was again dreadful, problem is, he seems to be consistently dreadful this season. Should be dropped for the bury game, think hemmings should get another go.
2. Personally think MOTM could have gone to andy taylor. Had a fantastic game defensively and going forward and reckon he is equally as good as matt sadler
3. Definitely wouldn't play Bowerman in a 4-5-1. He is constantly isolated as he is always on the shoulder/looking for a ball in behind, he needs someone alongside him to link the play - thought we were weakened when he came on for Grigg (who suits the formation much better, and had a good game last night)
4. Thought Downing looked good when he came on and could give Holden a challenge for his place in the team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 pm

You can't really blame a centre half for attempting a challenge when a striker is through on goal - from Holden's point of view, he's there to stop goals, so stepping aside and letting Kitson run in on goal just isn't his instinct.

I'm glad we played well last night, but I'm not glad that despite creating chances, we didn't score. We're not losing games by fluke - we're losing them because at present, we make more mistakes than we convert chances at the other end. Smith needs to get the balance right if we're to reverse this slide down the table.

And KC's point is exactly spot-on. There seems to be this assumption that the way Smith has assembled his squad is excusable because of the budget he was given. Yet if we hadn't signed Brandy and one too many goalkeepers, we'd probably be close to being able to afford a half decent striker.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Was it not a terrible back pass by Paterson? Did Holden have to make a tackle as you clearly seem to blame him for making a terrible decision :?

It was a poor back pass yes, but Holden taking him down in the penalty area, getting himself sent off so early on as well as them scoring the penalty was a poor decision. Without Patersons poor back pass it wouldn't of happened yes, but if he hadn't slid in and gotten himself send off, even if they scored, we would of had more of a chance of getting something still having 11 men. Sheffield probably would of scored from the chance, sacrificing himself so early on with a poor challenge and then them ending up scoring anyway was a poor decision that cost us as they got the goal and we were a man down.

Absolute rubbish.So what was he supposed to do? Let him have a free run on goal and not make a challenge? How do you know Sheffield would probably have scored off the chance? He may have ballooned it over but we'll never know. I suppose Holden would have been criticised for not making a challenge at all then.There was no need for Paterson to pass the ball backwards in the fudge first place!!!!!!!!!!! Paterson's the idiot AGAIN not Holden.

Calm down.

If Holden didn't come steaming in to save the day, even if they scored from the chance, we would of had a better chance with the 11 men. I don't see why you can defend him, yes it is Patersons fault, but bringing someone down in the penalty area and sacrificing themself that early on is never good. From where I was standing he slid right in when he could of left it for Darlow. So yes it is Patersons fault, but you cannot say that Holden could of done better in the situation, getting yourself sent off so early on will NEVER help your team.

I am not blaming Holden for the sending off, but he could of done better to help his team in the long run by not making the poor sliding challenge, he could of pressured or waited for a better opportunity. It is Patersons fault, but you cannot say that Holden couldn't of done better.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:45 pm

We only seem to have two problems (1) we can't score, (2) we leak goals. Apart from that everything is fine but it is not a recipe for success :mrgreen:

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Holden yet again showing how clumsy and massively average he is, **** sake.

FFS it wasn't Holden's fault!!!!! Blame blinking Paterson for a stupid backpass which played us into trouble in the first place!!!!!! Pisses me off when people moan about Holden giving the pen away when they didn't see it for themselves.Bloody braindead Paterson again that's who to blame.

you can moan about something you have not seen,its a forum

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:54 pm

I've taken a step back from the doom and gloom to reflect on the past run of games. It's the fine lines that determine results in football . A poor back pass in Sheffield utd game , lack of concentration in the last minute goals games and a half way hit that was meant to go out for an injured player in the orient game. All have cost us points. We really aren't that far off being a side to do damage in this league. Smith needs to learn a few lessons quickly too but think we are more than capable of stringing some good results together . My worry is losing flo in Jan !!
Come on Saddlers chins up :wink:
Up the Saddlers forever !!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Is that why the attendance was 15,700?

Are you being serious?? Really???

Okay so they only had around 12,000 more than us instead of the usual 15,000. My humblest apologies.

bangsection wrote:
tinned wrote:
This.

KC's criticism is absolutely constructive. But Funk's comment wasn't aimed at KC - the "brainless cretins" comment was aimed at the minority on this site who, for reasons known only to themselves, seem utterly delighted that our current poor run of form allows them to stick the boot in with comments like:

"The drop in form and league table position was literally 100% only a matter of time"

"The only way is down now"

etc etc

Correct. Some people must see something else when they head to the Graveyard Bescot - I see a run of the mill League One side in terms of support and resources who, thanks to a superb miracle manager a few years back were catapulted into the second tier. Others must see a Black Country Nou Camp.....

The Sheffield crowd booed their own team off, our fans who have been to the game come on in support of the performance and these idiots, who of course have been nowhere near the game, come on to have a pop....! It beggars belief.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 pm

bangsection wrote:

So we're not allowed to take positives out of defeats? Reductivism is pointless - we weren't the best team in the world when we were winning a month ago and we're not the worst team in the world when we're losing now. The frustrating thing about last night is that it tells us nothing about the ongoing issues we have around our strikers and formation. Playing with 10 men for 75 minutes is hardly the best way to evaluate a performance in those terms, which is why it is strange that people are so quick to add last night as another reason why the wheels have fallen off/we need to sign a big man/Smith's gorra goo etc etc.

Blades keeper should have been sent off - no question. Grigg got to the ball first and the lad went through him. The save from Grigg (that almost trickled over the line) added insult to injury. We had one chance in the second half - Cuvelier played in by a poor defensive header but he shot wide from a difficult position. They had one chance second half - Darlow saving after Miller went through. Blades booed off by their own fans, Saddlers given a standing ovation by the faithful. Fancy!

Darlow 7 - not much to do to be fair. Couple of slightly dodgy kicks but a good save from Miller second half.

Taylor 8 - don't know what that Blades fan is on about, I thought he had a good game. Couple of great tackles and used the ball well. I like him a lot.

Butler 8 - Very good game. He thrives on this sort of backs-to-the-wall performance but he really was excellent. Kitson resorted to manhandling him and even tripped him off the ball at one point, for which he was booked.

Holden 4 - Put in a horrible position for the Blades' goal. Down the far end so would like to see a replay - nobody would have blamed him if Kitson had scored but he had to make a decision and it seemed a clear penalty and sending off.

@Taundz 7 - Eat it haterz, I thought he did well. Seems more composed on the ball and even though there were a few misplaced passes he was generally tidy.

Paterson 6 - Shocking mistake for the goal and he struggled to get into the game after that. Not sure he deserved the cheer when he got subbed though.

Baxendale 5 - No time to make an impact before being sacrificed. Agree that it was a toss up between him and Paterson for who got subbed but keeping Paterson on the left and switching Cuvelier right made sense in our 4-4-1. Felt sorry for the chap from Donny who came to see him!

Featherstone 7 - Business as usual. Uses the ball so well and reads the game brilliantly.

Cuvelier 8 - By far our biggest threat. Ran at the Blades defence almost single-handedly and it would have been a fabulous assist if Grigg had scored from his pinpoint pull-back. Faded late on and saw little of the ball on the right in the last 20 minutes.

Chambers 9 - Back to his best. Like Butler he seems to thrive on adversity and he did a great job of breaking up play. He also used the ball well and he has a much better first touch than people give him credit for - that's important in our system. His return will be crucial in allowing Cuvelier to get forward more.

Grigg 6 - Did well to recover from the appalling challenge by their keeper. Did everything right for our best chance of the game - hit the target with a first time shot but keeper did well to get a hand to it. Saw little of the ball second half.

Subs

Downing 7 - Actually rather impressed. Slightly hesitant in challenging for a few headers but made some important blocks and looked composed. He's a unit too, which helps.

Bowerman 6 - We created little for the frontmen in the second half and Bowerman had little chance to impress.

Hemmings 5 - Looked the least technically gifted of our players on the pitch in the time he had. Couple of miscontrolled balls and wayward passes.

It's easy to see why Sheffield United haven't scored many goals this season - they simply don't create much. They remind me of us in the way they try to play, but not as good! Good in possession but lacking penetration. They rarely resorted to hoofing it and fair play to them for that. Williams is a cracking attacking left back at this level and Doyle does a good job in the 'Featherstone' role for them. Dave Kitson, however, was absolutely woeful. No wonder he's the secret footballer - I wouldn't admit to being Dave Kitson after a performance like that. Butler loved the scrap and Kitson (who is actually a lot bigger than I imagined) spent all game either trying to manhandle him or moan to the ref. When they brought Miller on they instantly looked more likely to score.

As I say, plenty of positives to take out of this game in terms of spirit and defensive organisation. I know it's slightly different defending as a team when you're down to ten men but ironically that was probably one of our best defensive performances of the season.

All aboard the He'sGorraGoo bus to Bury!

Excellent summary from bangsection - agree with it all.

Highlights for me:

Superb vocal support from the Saddlers as one in Jessica Ennis's end.
110% effort and commitment from those in yellow.
Overall an excellent team performance playing against such a huge 'Championship' side for best part of 75 minutes.
Excellent individual performances from Taundry (sorry if that offends anyone), A. Taylor, Butler, Flo and Chambers. I thought they all played at the top of their game which was encouraging.

Lowlights:

Lack of a proper striker is more obvious then ever.
Paterson. If he starts on Saturday Deano needs sectioning. I spell benchwarming is what he needs after his blunder and no show on Tuesday.

It's not all bad guys!!!

UTS.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Well.nearly everything about the match has been said already, however, how anybody who was at that match could berate Taundry in any way should be sectioned...he had an IMENSE game, tough in the tackle, resolute, and I cannot remember one missplaced pass all night,and most of Uniteds promising moves down the wing were stopped in thier tracks by Tuandz. yes folks he played a blinder and I think a lot of so called fans have a blinkered attitude towards him, whether he plays well or not. small mini rate over...

Overall we played a comfortable game with ten men against what will inevitably be one of the automatic promtion candidates, the crunching 'over the top' tackle by thier goalie, was an out and out penalty and sending off, but I think the Ref 'bottled' it, in front of a large crowd of 'Premiership in waiting' fans, in fact he gave us very little all night, any decision given to us was greeted with howls of chimp like derision from our lot. A great night of singing/chanting overall, well worth the trip!

Very pleased with the standing ovation that the team received, a brave display by 10 men!

Our problem is obvious, we defend very well, our tackling and blocking all night were first rate, the best defensive display I have seen from a Walsall team for many a year. However, we cor score goals......end of. What good is a crackin defence display, if at the other end we have the power and strength of a powder puff ball!! :( :(

Hemmings and Brandy are a total waste of space, and add nothing to solving our problems, ship 'em out to Ebsfleet, now.
Everyone knows my views on Grigg...he runs around a lot, but I'm more likely to score at 64!! perhaps I'm as blinkered in that sense as Taundz berators! :oops:

Bury is a vital match, we have to WIN this one, no other result will do, if we don't we will be back in the relegation 'dog fight.' No matter how 'well' we are playing......................

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm

1draw out of 5 league games. The wheels have come off big time and were in free fall. Still though I'm happy We're in a much higher position than I expected us to be at the start of the season

Something's right .............................................

It's just finding it again :?: :?: :?: :?:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season