Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (a) - Sun 14/10/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (a) - Sun 14/10/12

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Invest? Invest?

I'm sorry but what is the meaning of this strange word?

I think on a serious note, this season (or this run until Christmas actually) is really important for the positive future of our football club.

If we can capitalize on the positive media about how attractive our football is, but invest in the side and shoot up the table - we could increase crowds and this could have a really positive knock-on effect.

I just hope the club chances its arm for once and gives the fans something to believe in and attach to.

You're right. A generally young team, attractive football and a goalscorer (admittedly one who didn't cover himself in glory yesterday) are all in place already. Despite the result yesterday, there seems to be genuine praise doing the rounds for how well we played, which can only be a good thing.

League position is still a massive factor though. A couple of adequate players could pay for themselves, simply by being the missing pieces of the jigsaw, which could in turn put a few hundred on the gate. We don't need world-beaters - as daft as it sounds, a couple of relative journeymen could probably do the job.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Having watched on TV again - I think that the frustrations of missing a consierable amount of chances and not having a target upfront took over the fact that, on another day we'd have scored anywhere between 2 and 5 goals. The football in the first half and infact, throughout the game is good. Some things need addressing. I'd loan Hemmings, Brandy and Williams out - replace them with another winger and a hard centre forward that can receive the ball into feet, but hold it up and we'l be 100% fine.

Last season we moaned at how dire the football was, the lack of interest in the club, old journeymen players. All I can say is thank god Smith hasn't signed anything like that. Compare the Dads Army we had in 07/08 with Danny Sonner, Paul Hall, Darren Wrack, Martin Butler etc to the team we have now. It only takes 1 or 2 of them to have a 2nd half of the season like the 1st - Baxendale and Bowerman for example and people will be talking about fee's.

Seriously, If you can't be arsed to come and watch this football with this team, you'v seriously lost interest in either the club or football all together and perhaps both.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Excellent football until we lost our way by not playing it.
Only problem I can see is simple - keeping a clean sheet, then when you have bad luck or an off day in front of goal, you draw or sneak a win.
Conceding goals so regular doesnt allow any room for error, unfortunately we need to master this.
Perhaps time will tell, but overall lots of positives.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Excellent football until we lost our way by not playing it.
Only problem I can see is simple - keeping a clean sheet, then when you have bad luck or an off day in front of goal, you draw or sneak a win.
Conceding goals so regular doesnt allow any room for error, unfortunately we need to master this.

:shock:

You feeling ok Sheff?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Highlight of the day was barmaids clevage in pub after match

Actually forget that, highlight of the day was Evo's niece :shock: :D

Qoute of day to taxi driver after match when driver asked which pub we wanted to go to "one that sells beer" :D

Uncle Evo has taught her well :mrgreen:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm

I think the result left us all frustrated yesterday.

24 hours later and I'm filled with pride. I've just been training with my son's under nine team. He was there, resplendent as ever in his Walsall shirt. As Walsall fans we're a bit of a novelty round here so quite a few of the dads and their lads tuned in. Tonight, rather than the usual "Walsall -who are they?", "they're rubbish" nine year old scouse stuff (and that's just the dads!), the one's who had watched the game were saying stuff like "Walsall are ace", they were talking excitedly about some of our players' . Their dads were equally impressed with the consensus being that the best team lost, that in the first 25 minutes we played some of the best football they'd seen on the box this season. Also mentions of our large, noisy following.

Second hand it might sound a bit patronising and I'm sure they tuned in with half a mind of "let's watch half an hour of this cack just so we can tell him we watched". But they were genuine and their lads were genuine. My lad is always proud of his roots and the stick he gets doesn't worry him at all but I could see him puff his chest out a bit further tonight as he was explaining that we were that good even with missing "Will Griggs"(sic) cos he's playing for Ireland.

Proud dad and a proud Saddler. Love it.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm

kshammer wrote:The Shrewsbury fans willl be delighted for a week or so (while i'm gutted) but lets be honest here and put it into perspective...

1. If this game is played over, we score 3 at least.
2. They'll probably go down while we wont (hopefully).
3. We play stuff that's worth watching, they are guano.
4. It says it all that Weale was MOTM (thought their number 23 looked class as well to be fair).
5. Only one set of fans can be heard on the telly (just watching it back on Sky plus).

We sometimes look a bit lightweight, always look a bit nervous with ball over the top and have no real Plan B, but it is early days with a promising team. We were always going to have a spell were the luck was against us and this is it - I just hope the usual panic doesn't set in although the anti-Smith brigade (who have been waiting to have a go all season) will be out in force no doubt. Patto needs a break and Hemmings and Brandy are just plain crud, no real ability and guano attitudes.

The banter between fans was good (when you could hear their fans) but why do some always take it to far? There was one idiot Sloppy giving it the biggun on the way out of the ground... not actually hard enough to actually kick off on anyone and not brave enough to actually go after anyone who wanted a ruck... oh and he was about 40 odd. Grown man acting like a winkie. An older Shrewsbury fan I spoke to agreed he was a dick while also admitting "there was only one team in it".

May I also suggest we missed Grigg (I await the abuse :D ).

Hold the press but I am going to agree with this :oops:

If we can forget WG as being a goalscorer or someone that will get 10-15 goals a season and regard him as someone who will do the donkey work, hold the ball up and bring others into play then he will/can do a good job for us BUT can we play both WG and GB in the same side in a 4-4-1-1 and who would we drop to accommodate either striker

SWS1

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Drop the dead donkey. :mrgreen:

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 am

Can someone explain to me when patersons football was good? he needs dropping 1 to take that massive chip off his shoulder 2 to explain that you can actually pass the ball and 3 if you have options to your left and right not too shoot from 50 yards out you annoying jumped up bell end. that is all.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Excellent football until we lost our way by not playing it.

You feeling ok Sheff?

Must be the fact I am a new dad.
You take postitves out of everything :wink:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Highlight of the day was barmaids clevage in pub after match

Actually forget that, highlight of the day was Evo's niece :shock: :D

Qoute of day to taxi driver after match when driver asked which pub we wanted to go to "one that sells beer" :D

Uncle Evo has taught her well :mrgreen:

She's a good niece :D Mind that barmaid was fine :D

Nearly 48 hours on and still not sure how we didn't get anything out of that

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Who threw that half arsed smoke bomb, i was well disappointed. Id ask for a refund on that.

If your gonna do something do it properly :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:23 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

You feeling ok Sheff?

Must be the fact I am a new dad.
You take postitves out of everything :wink:

Congratulations Sheff! I assume the new arrival is dressed in a Saddlers shirt rather than a Chelsea one :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:You take postitves out of everything :wink:

Welcome to my world :wink:
You make two important points - 1. we lost our way by not playing good football (I hate it when we throw Butler up front - it's worked once, at Rochdale away, and that was a freak); 2. clean sheets. Haven't kept one under Darlow in six games, Grof kept three in 9. I hope his critics are reassessing their opinions.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

You make two important points - 1. we lost our way by not playing good football (I hate it when we throw Butler up front - it's worked once, at Rochdale away, and that was a freak); 2. clean sheets. Haven't kept one under Darlow in six games, Grof kept three in 9. I hope his critics are reassessing their opinions.

really has proved to be a pointless loan signing. Are there any limits to how many players you can sign on loan throughout the season? If there is what a waste!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:57 pm

On Sunday afternoon I sat in a local pub (rugby orientated, the owner plays for Dewsbury Rams) obviously full of neutrals, regarding what they perceived as a 'load of guano' match from some lower division non-entities because there were no premiership games. I was there because, as an almost OAP, I cannot afford the extra for Sky sports!

Strangely entertained by my excitied enthusiasm, they somehow gathered that I was from 'Worsul'!

After the deabacle of the result, all the entertained audience, to a man suggested "how on earth could your lot have LOST that, after mullering 'em throughout the entire match, you looked like your were in a Division above 'em, yet you still LOST the game!"
"You need a striker mate"

>>>>>>>>>>Nuff said methinks........................

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

really has proved to be a pointless loan signing. Are there any limits to how many players you can sign on loan throughout the season? If there is what a waste!

When is Darlow's last game? Is it against Crewe or Sheffield United?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

14 October 2012 :wink:

SWS1

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 am

After more than four days, I am still cheesed off with the result, indeed, with the last four results. :(
WE COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN SECOND BY NOW :mrgreen:

I was dreaming of this only two weeks ago :(

No, really. I just didn't dare to say it.
I'd have been thought a fool.
I'd have been proved a fool. :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Exile wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

He ain't been bad but has added nothing whatsoever that Grof couldn't have delivered.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

tinned wrote:
Exile wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:When is Darlow's last game? Is it against Crewe or Sheffield United?

He ain't been bad but has added nothing whatsoever that Grof couldn't have delivered.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Darlow is rubbish, but I don't see how bringing him in has improved us - especially as Grof will now have Smith's doubts over his ability planted firmly in the back of his mind.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season