Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (a) - Sun 14/10/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (a) - Sun 14/10/12

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Duke wrote:We all appreciate Smith as made a big improvement from last season and off course we are enjoying the better football we are playing .

Only a few weeks ago Stefan Gamble said Smith still as money available,there can be no excuses if we are dragged into another relegation battle .

Obviously we coulda/shoulda won the game in the first 20 minutes, but we didn't and we aren't any more. That should start concerning people.

I'm not sure how many times some of us need to say this but, WE NEED A BUSTLING STRIKER THAT CAN HOLD THE BALL UP.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:46 pm

tinned wrote:
Duke wrote:We all appreciate Smith as made a big improvement from last season and off course we are enjoying the better football we are playing .

Only a few weeks ago Stefan Gamble said Smith still as money available,there can be no excuses if we are dragged into another relegation battle .

Obviously we coulda/shoulda won the game in the first 20 minutes, but we didn't and we aren't any more. That should start concerning people.

I'm not sure how many times some of us need to say this but, WE NEED A BUSTLING STRIKER THAT CAN HOLD THE BALL UP.

Exactly , say it a few more times and Smith may just cotton on

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm

tinned wrote:

We probably do need a big man up top but if the right bloke aint available for the money then i'd rather us not sign some cack cheapo big man who can't play.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm

kshammer wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Then Im the biggest idiot alive

PRESS THE PANIC BUTTON NOW

Lets give him a 10 year mossive contract, and by the 10th year he may have learnt something

You said it.

God forbid Walsall FC ever try to play any other than route one guano with journeyman crud. It's a bad run, most teams have them, and life is nowhere near as bad as it has been under past managers. This is the first season for ages where fans attending the matches actually like the team and are entertained. We left the ground today moaning a bit but we lost after having 3 one on ones, a missed open goal, hitting the bar and watching their keeper have a worldy.

Get some perspective.

Three league losses on the bounce tends to give one some perspective. I don't think anyone here is asking for route one guano, just a plan B. Will you honestly be saying "Never mind everyone, we play a lovely passing game" as we plummet into League 2? It's like saying "Doesn't the band play lovely music" as the Titanic sinks. It really cheeses me of when people say that wanting another playing option up our sleeve means that we have sacrifice the current playing style.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Gutted.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Frustrating.

Lots of good, bits of bad.

Enough chances to win two games, but if you don't take them and can't defend set-pieces then you'll give very average teams like Shrewsbury a chance.

As soon as they'd kicked Flo out of the game it became even-stevens, before that we'd hammered them.

Back five, Feathers, Baxo, Flo all good. Paterson's decision-making is awful at times, George needs to stop believing his own publicity and concentrate, Hemmings is nothing short of a fudge disgrace, Brandy ineffective and Williams just doesn't look like a sportsman of any description to me.

Usual suspects out gunning for Dean. I don't know what they expect. He left his magic leg-mending machine at home so had to take Flo off, which will have cocked up plan A as Chambers would have been the midfield sacrifice given his recent lack of games. Then with no Grigg we're threadbare.

I'm still loving the way we're playing and trying to play. If the bubble has burst then hey, we had a bubble and some of us managed to enjoy it.

One or two additions and we'll be alright.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:58 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Lets give him a 10 year mossive contract, and by the 10th year he may have learnt something

You said it.

God forbid Walsall FC ever try to play any other than route one guano with journeyman crud. It's a bad run, most teams have them, and life is nowhere near as bad as it has been under past managers. This is the first season for ages where fans attending the matches actually like the team and are entertained. We left the ground today moaning a bit but we lost after having 3 one on ones, a missed open goal, hitting the bar and watching their keeper have a worldy.

Get some perspective.

Three league losses on the bounce tends to give one some perspective. I don't think anyone here is asking for route one guano, just a plan B. Will you honestly be saying "Never mind everyone, we play a lovely passing game" as we plummet into League 2? It's like saying "Doesn't the band play lovely music" as the Titanic sinks. It really cheeses me of when people say that wanting another playing option up our sleeve means that we have sacrifice the current playing style.

Of course not, but it is a bit early to start panicing and talking of plummeting to League 2. Jesus christ, we're top half still I think and having the kind of run most teams will at some point. Sometimes it's like the posters on here are experiencing their first season.

Yes, we probably need a big man. Yes, our current run is concerning. Not the time to go over the top though.

On Radio WM (for what it is worth) they said in our last three league games, if we'd taken 5-7 points, it wouldn't have been unfair. There's some truth in that.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Gutted.

I nominate this as the match report.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 pm

kshammer wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:

You said it.

Get some perspective.

Of course not, but it is a bit early to start panicing and talking of plummeting to League 2. Jesus christ, we're top half still I think and having the kind of run most teams will at some point. Sometimes it's like the posters on here are experiencing their first season.

Yes, we probably need a big man. Yes, our current run is concerning. Not the time to go over the top though.

On Radio WM (for what it is worth) they said in our last three league games, if we'd taken 5-7 points, it wouldn't have been unfair. There's some truth in that.

'If ifs and ands were pots and pans......'

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Time to give the players a day off. Games on 29 September, and 2, 6, 9 and 14 October with a squad the size of ours is draining. I'm gutted we lost, but take the positives - we said for years we wanted a younger side, we wanted a prettier game, we wanted to see something different. We've got it, and I disagree with the Smith Out shouty people who crawl out from under rocks every now and again - give this time and see where it goes. There's every sign that it's more positive than negative, and I wouldn't give it up for another season of Mersonesque buffoonery, Mullen misery or the kind of dour Hutchings hoof that is the trademark of a rubbish team like Shrewsbury. Hopefully the three points we gifted them will keep them up so we can compound their misery next year.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:16 pm

You should never ever want "rivals" to stay or go up just so we can play them.I ALWAYS want the Dingles to lose.If it means us not playing them then so be it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Love Shrewsbury to stay in our league and vice versa, the games are fantastic. they ain't rivals if you don't play them.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Exile wrote:Time to give the players a day off. Games on 29 September, and 2, 6, 9 and 14 October with a squad the size of ours is draining. I'm gutted we lost, but take the positives - we said for years we wanted a younger side, we wanted a prettier game, we wanted to see something different. We've got it, and I disagree with the Smith Out shouty people who crawl out from under rocks every now and again - give this time and see where it goes. There's every sign that it's more positive than negative, and I wouldn't give it up for another season of Mersonesque buffoonery, Mullen misery or the kind of dour Hutchings hoof that is the trademark of a rubbish team like Shrewsbury. Hopefully the three points we gifted them will keep them up so we can compound their misery next year.

Here, here.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 pm

havent read many previous reports so apologies if much repetition.

that today was so frustrating to watch as we lost by a single goal from their first real threat after dominating the first 25 minutes of the match.
you could tell that if we didnt score whilst we were on top then they could always grab a grubby goal and thats what happened
then it was like someone turned a switch off and we resorted to very poor football and sunk to their level.
we realy need to get a striker in thats obvious to everyone as pretty as we looked we had no end product.
thought bowerman had his worst game in a walsall shirt.
my worry is after our inital first 11 we have nothing on the bench that can change a game.
ashley hemmings is a poor mans mark wright runs around like a headless chicken and looks like he has a bad attitude and as for brandy well hes named after a short and thats what he is too short.
whats the point of lobbing balls into the box when brandy is in their??? what is he 5ft 6 at best??
the goalkeeper needs changing as darlow is now costing us goals and points.
paterson is not good enough and is v poor at crossing never beats the first man and chambers doesnt look fit yet.
i just hope flo is not too badly injured as he really is our only creative danger player at the moment.

lets hope we can bounce back quickly otherwise i can see the slide down the table denting our confidence even more.

shrewsbury were there for the taking today and we didnt punish them and thats dissapointing to say the least.

maybe teams are sussing us out now but at least i suppose were creating more chances than previous seasons but seems a shame we have 3 goalies and could spend the loan money on a striker which i think now is a priority.

parking was a farce today even shrews fans agreed. i didnt see any trouble today but i suppose if you go looking for it youll find it.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Over the last 2 seasons we have struggled with the 3 basics

poor defending
poor passing and movement
poor finishing

I think we have massively improved in terms of passing and movement but struggle with the other 2 i.e cannot keep a clean sheet/weak at set pieces and lack experience in front of goal. Today being typical.

but at least we have improved and moved in the right direction and the current team is better than in the previous 2 years. Our start to the season has probably raised expectations but if you had given me mid table after 12 games i would have taken it. If I was offered mid table at the end of the season I would take it now especially if we also have a season of stylish play.

Hemmings looked more than capable at this level in the 1st few games and scored on his debut. I dont think he dropped form more a case of Baxendale doing better to get the place in the side. I do have concerns about Hemmings' attitude since this happened however. We have seen enough of Paterson this season to know there isplenty of potential. Clearly he is not the finished article but he seems to have the right attitude and will improve. Brandy never really got started but I thought he gave teams problems until he got injured and since coming back he has only been given 15 mins and so maybe we need to see him fully match fit over a full game before writing him off.

Saturday's game is now very important as the side is young and the run of defeats will affect confidence so every one of the players will need our support

it could be worse imagine having to watch Shrewsbury for the rest of the season

UTS

mel58
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:07 am

Frustrating to lose yesterday but when a team misses chances of the type we did then it's going to happen.

I thought Taundry had a good game today, some of the best passing from him that I've seen. Having said that I think Purkiss offers more in an attacking sense and is one of the best crossers of the ball at the club.
Chambers added some bite in the middle but...that miss in the first half!
Patterson would have been out of the team, last season, following the succession of performances he's put in in the last few games but I think Smith views him as too integral to our style of play to easily drop him now.
Jabo has been mentioned as the type of player we need up front, him or a reasonably-fit Macken; I couldn't agree more. I think even Sam Parkin would make a difference, although not Ryan Jarvis!
As much as others may disagree, we missed Grigg. Given how compressed our midfield was after the first thirty minutes and how random our link up play was after Flo went off, it's an almost impossible task for Bowerman to play the lone striker role and Grigg, as inconsistent as he is, can get the ball and hold it both in the middle and on the flanks and allow Bowerman to play more on the blind side.
Confidence, which perhaps got too high too early, is now evidently low amongst some of the players. I hope Flo's injury is not bad but I think we risk wearing him out as he's obviously the go-to guy in the team. I'm sure Pulis won't be happy if he gets a long-term injury and I think we need to rest him. Perhaps let him have a couple of games on the bench now Chambers is available.

I thought Matt Richards played well for them, Turner makes the absolute most of him.

Disappointed that our substitutions had no positive effect, especially those of Hemmings and Brandy. I was hoping for some pace and directness but it just didn't happen - reinforces the point of how thin our squad is

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:29 am

LOFFING at the Smith out calls and the 3 losses PANIC.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If we had been thumped or outclassed in any of then maybe pause for thought, but to have a wobbly kneed moment under the present circumstances is flipping GIRLISH.

We are obviously trying out something new - so give it a proper chance and hang out your wee stained panties out to dry - this aircraft may experience some turbulence. The Vile are available for those wanting a mollifyingly steady and excruciatingly dull 'soccer' experience. :D :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 am

I hate the fact we're now losing, I'd rather us winning. But it's more exciting to watch and two of the Smith Out brigade have asked for more exciting football.

The other thing with this brigade of idiocy is that O'Kelly obviously has influence with Smith (a good thing seeing as he's assistant) as Smith has signed three players from his personal recommendation. Now, if O'Kelly has this influence on transfers, he probably has Smith's ear on the way we play too. So as much as people are perioding over getting Smith out and O'Kelly in (which will be the next move) O'Kelly has played a part in the bad as well as the good.

In other words: Shut up, you girls.

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 am

Smith is a thickard, O'Kelly is the manager, we've lost 4 in a row, it's not been terribly exciting, I've enjoyed the 5 a side stuff, Hemmings and Brandy are dross, we need a better defence, a combative midfielder and a striker who isn't a midget, we have the smallest team in the entire world and people who keep talking about periods are GIRLS - fact.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 am

Cully wrote: O'Kelly is the manager, we've lost 4 in a row, it's not been terribly exciting,

Is that an O'kelly out call?

I agree with you on the players we need. For that to happen what we also need is an extra 2,000 people to turn up each week.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 am

Now I haven't been able to get down to a game this season yet and have only heard second hand reports of how well we are playing, so perhaps I can give a more objective view of the game. Plus, I saw it on tv so you get a much different view of things.

First and foremost, what really struck me is how much excellent football we played. I'd been told we were, but nothing could have prepared me for just how much. First 25 minutes we were absolutely superb, but even after that, we continued to play some really good stuff. We faded after Cuvelier went off, but that was also partly because we started playing the longer ball to chase the game.

And what's the key to this passing game? Well certainly it helps to have the right personnel and, in that respect Cuvelier, Chambers, Baxendale and Featherstone are perfect. But the other keys are movement and a desire to have the ball and pass it simply. And that's where I find the criticism of Paterson over the top. Yes he's a young lad who makes the wrong decisions in possession a lot, but he is a major factor in our good football because he moves and he asks for the ball.

Yesterday was "one of those days", as is the current run. A fair result would have been 4-2. We missed chances that would normally have gone in, we had bad luck with the Butler header and a couple of other shots and their keeper was inspired at times.

Yes, of course we could do with a striker. If we got one, I honestly think we could be up there around the play-offs. Without one? I really can't see us struggling because we will win more games than we lose if we continue to play like that.

As for the weaknesses, there were two glaring ones - firstly, Bowerman was abysmal. Having not seen him since last season, I had high hopes for watching him yesterday but, in fact, he didn't do any of the basics right. It's all very well to say he was isolated on his own, but that doesn't stop you moving, making runs into space, asking for the ball and generally making a nuisance of yourself. He didn't all game. It may be that, in his first full season, he's tiring from a lot of recent games.

Secondly, I remember coming back from a youth cup final at the gay meadow a few years ago and raving about the right back. He was a class above anything else on the pitch. For that reason, I've always wanted Taundry to succeed. Unfortunately, playing alongside players who are comfortable on the ball and are able to do the simple things effortlessly, he's made to look even more second-rate. Nobody can fault his effort and commitment, for that he deserves praise, but it takes him so much longer to bring the ball under control and then think about the pass, it stops our style of play at times. As for his crossing, it was awful. I've obviously not seen Purkiss play, but when I've watched highlights, it's been noticeable how many goals have been from quality crosses he has put in. Based on that alone, I'm very surprised that he has been dropped.

As for bringing in a striker, I totally disagree with those thinking an Ibehre or someone like Morgan would be a good signing. Again, they don't have the ability to play in our style. What we do need is a Macken from 2 seasons ago, he would be spot on right now, holding the ball up and playing the midfielders through with deft passes.

Finally, did I see some criticism of the keeper?!?! I know he's not inspired confidence in other games, but I thought he had a decent game yesterday and I like the way he plays with a smile on his face.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 am

Watched the game on the box and for once it was great to listen to the pundits praising the club for the football and how well we played

Yes we have lost three on the bounce but this aint just about this season but a long term aim for the style of play from the kids to the 1st team

I thought Brandy looked sharp when he came on and needs games, Chambers had his best game for some time, Flo looked shattered but still class and Featherstone is like a Div3 Samways.

Should we have lost..no but lets be patient cos this run will end and if we said 11th place and 17 points after 12 games I think we would all have taken that back in August

Now onto Saturday and a great chance to end the run with a game against the scum Crewe UTS

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 am

Highlight of the day was barmaids clevage in pub after match

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 am

Having re-watched the game on Sky I have come to the conclusion that I am very, very proud of the football we play and what we are trying to do. We should have had 4 or 5 goals if we were more clinical up front.

What is missing is experience and a target man who can hold the ball up and provide a threat in behind the opposition.

I genuinely think if we invest in that then we can finish in the top 10.

that's a big 'if' though.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 am

My take on things is that the hype leading up to the game has culminated in some pretty melodramatic criticism of our performance yesterday.

We were absolutely brilliant for the vast majority of the first half and they couldn't have complained too much had we found ourselves 2-0 up. I'm not sure whether it was part of their game plan to just let us have the ball, or whether we were just too good for them, but things worked really well until we got into the final third - at which point, Bowerman didn't make his presence felt. Whilst we should have been 2-0 up, only the Chambers chance was really a gilt-edged one.

Cuvelier ran the show for a good half an hour, until they started dishing out the physical stuff, by which point his four games in eight days had begun to take their toll. His impact lessened as the game wore on, so us ultimately having to take him off was inevitable.

We defended the corner they scored from pretty poorly, but having said that, we're not very strong in the air at all, and I'm surprised we haven't been caught out by more set pieces like that this season. They isolated Holden by putting Morgan up against him 1v1 for the entire game, and I'd say Holden probably came out second best. Should we have had Butler marking Morgan and Holden free to bring the ball out from the back instead? in hindsight, probably.

The second half was a lot more even, and either side could have scored. Hemmings' delivery for the Butler header was exceptional, but was the only contribution he made, whilst Aaron Williams had a golden opportunity to make himself a hero, but completely fluffed his lines. The Bowerman chance came following a beauty of a ball in from Taundry, who I thought had a good game in general. We'd have wanted that chance to fall to Bowerman of all the players in our squad, but again, their keeper came out on top.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about yesterday was the way they grew into the game, whilst we looked at sixes and sevens towards the end - as we did against Carlisle last week. The cause of this is simple for everyone to see - our subs just aren't good enough. Brandy doesn't give us anything, Hemmings seems to be going through the motions, and Aaron Williams would currently be on loan to a club in the Blue Square Premier if our reseources weren't so slim.

Don't get me wrong, four defeats on the spin is a worry, but I genuinely think we have to keep believing that our football to see us through. A striker with a bit of nouse would have probably seen us capitalise in the first half yesterday, whilst I think we could do with improving the supply from wide positions. The system and style of football is spot-on, but the personnel isn't quite making it pay at the moment.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 am

Exactly, spot on Rob!

Will we invest ?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:Exactly, spot on Rob!

Will we invest ?

I hope so. After all, we keep being told there is cash there to strengthen the squad should we need it.

My only concerns are these:
A. We've wasted money on the unecessary signings of Brandy (not up to it) and Darlow (good keeper, but did we really need him?)
B. Because we have nothing in reserve to cover centre half, Smith has to keep a pot of cash to one side in case Holden or Butler get injured.

It's a calculated gamble, isn't it? Two loan signings in the right areas at this stage of the season could see us make a genuine push for a top six place.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Highlight of the day was barmaids clevage in pub after match

:lol: I bet you're still in there posting that from your phone.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 am

Invest? Invest?

I'm sorry but what is the meaning of this strange word?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am

Pedagogue wrote:Invest? Invest?

I'm sorry but what is the meaning of this strange word?

I think on a serious note, this season (or this run until Christmas actually) is really important for the positive future of our football club.

If we can capitalize on the positive media about how attractive our football is, but invest in the side and shoot up the table - we could increase crowds and this could have a really positive knock-on effect.

I just hope the club chances its arm for once and gives the fans something to believe in and attach to.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season