Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) Football League Trophy Tuesday 9/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Port Vale (H) Football League Trophy Tuesday 9/10/12.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Mal wrote:A loss is a loss even suffering three on the bounce but sometimes the performance gives hope which is what we have with this current set up

As FBIG mentioned in another thread earlier when we were losing..."but we are playing well" fair enough, but what use is 'playing well' when you lose three home matches in a row..the last to a good, but nevertheless Fourth Division side!

What appalling embarrasments have we yet to face? Possibly being humiliated in the FA. Cup by Trumpton Rovers of the Barnstaple & District Sunday League..in front of 463 hardy souls (and a dog)..and the TV cameras!

This ridiculous inability to put away penalties is the most annoying trait of modern day Walsall teams, any decent manager would have them back on the training ground IN THIER OWN TIME, practising penalties until thier insteps bleed!

Rant over, back to being Ancient happy clapper (I dont think!)

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

12/13: v Port Vale JPT2 lost 6-5 pens
11/12: v Dag and Red FAC2 lost 3-2 pens
11/12: v Rochdale JPT2 lost 3-1 pens
09/10: v Bury JPT1 lost 5-4 pens
06/07: v Swansea JPT1 lost 4-3 pens
05/06: v Swansea JPT4 lost 6-5 pens
04/05: v Cheltenham JPT2 won 4-3 pens

Six defeats on the trot since our last penalty victory back in the days of Merson. In the three shoot-outs under Smith we've missed at least three of the first five kicks. Oddly, I don't think we've missed a penalty during regulation play under Smith.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:12/13: v Port Vale JPT2 lost 6-5 pens

Six defeats on the trot since our last penalty victory back in the days of Merson. In the three shoot-outs under Smith we've missed at least three of the first five kicks. Oddly, I don't think we've missed a penalty during regulation play under Smith.

Thanks for collecting those stats RS. They make grim reading.

I suspect that you too have not been able to excise from your memory the three penalty misses by Alex Nicholls last season, two of them in the same week in February this year, and are just setting a little Whoosh trap.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Bernie wrote:

I suspect that you too have not been able to excise from your memory the three penalty misses by Alex Nicholls last season, two of them in the same week in February this year, and are just setting a little Whoosh trap.

Ah, forget about them. I was thinking Macken had taken all our penalties. Did Nicholls really miss three? He scored at Carlisle then missed two others (one in a game we won). What was the third miss?

And although our penalty record is miserable (I wonder what the longest losing streak is?), only one of the defeats came in a competition I actually care about.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Registered Saddler wrote: Did Nicholls really miss three? He scored at Carlisle then missed two others (one in a game we won). What was the third miss?

Against Dagenham & Redbridge at home in a shoot-out - so I should not really have counted it.

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm

The gory details................

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpeAyuEiSMk[/youtube]

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Bernie wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote: Did Nicholls really miss three? He scored at Carlisle then missed two others (one in a game we won). What was the third miss?

Against Dagenham & Redbridge at home in a shoot-out - so I should not really have counted it.

Wasnt at the game but was getting texts of a very cold Asps who said Nicholls tried to curl his spot kick round the keeper and failed miserably

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm

kevin wrote:The gory details................

fudge me how was there only 943 Vale fans when the end hold 1,912?

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Well that was another load of garbage served up for us lucky punters whose only hope for this season was the undoubted promise of having someone to assist the 'still learning' Dean Smith, namely Richard O'kelly. There is no doubt that his influence has resulted in the complete change of style and tactics employed by the team both home and away resulting in an unexpected leap up the table to the heady heights of the play off positions in the league.

As a couple of posters have already stated, our bubble has truly burst. Out thought last week against Orient, out played and pushed aside by a decent Carlisle side and last night, despite totally dominating for a 20 minute period in the first half, being rolled over by a team who looked and played like a non league team high on acid. They actually had a defence worse than us, both centre halves looked like wardrobes and were about as skillful. If our defence was weak before it certainly plumbed new depths with the 'useful' [Deans words] Downing linking up with Taundry and the sponsors man of the match Darlo who despite some lavish praise really did not deserve to be playing ahead of Grof after his two previous poor performances, I haven't seen him catch a ball under pressure and last night his poor decision making led to two chances/near misses by Port Vale. I'm not bothered about any of his saves he made, it merely hides the lack of any competent defence in front of him. Pity the likes of Featherstone, who for me has been the find of the season, to have to suffer seeing his efficient efforts being wasted by Patterson, Hemmings and Brandy. Another good game from Grigg by the way, pity the thickos who love to boo him had to suffer a smartly taken goal.

Sort it out O'Kelly before Shrewsbury thrash us on Sunday.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm

brummie saddler wrote:to bath saddler

the last time we won on penalties was during our golden spell

we played reading away and martin butler missed on penalties.

im not sure if it was the next round that we wont on to play blackburn away and then lost on penalties (the zadrilic wonder goal game) darren wrack was the villan who missed.

We had 17 penalties that season (including the 10 in the two shoot-outs) and only missed that one against Blackburn!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 am

Darth Vader wrote:

flip me how was there only 943 Vale fans when the end hold 1,912?

I would estimate 1700 vale fans.Very few spare seats.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 am

im not sure if it was the next round that we wont on to play blackburn away and then lost on penalties (the zadrilic wonder goal game) darren wrack was the villan who missed.

The last time we won on penalties was against Cheltenham in the same competiton in 2004.We won 4-3 on pens

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

flip me how was there only 943 Vale fans when the end hold 1,912?

I would estimate 1700 vale fans.Very few spare seats.

I thought about 1500-1600 on the night, very good turn out for the JPT even if it is only just down the road

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:

The last time we won on penalties was against Cheltenham in the same competiton in 2004.We won 4-3 on pens

i actually have no recollection of this. was it at home. ??

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:37 am

brummie saddler wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:

i actually have no recollection of this. was it at home. ??

Nope at Cheltenham

SWS1

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:17 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Ah, forget about them. I was thinking Macken had taken all our penalties. Did Nicholls really miss three? He scored at Carlisle then missed two others (one in a game we won). What was the third miss?

And although our penalty record is miserable (I wonder what the longest losing streak is?), only one of the defeats came in a competition I actually care about.

Actually, I care about all the competitions we enter. I'd LOVE us to win at Wembley in the Pea Pot Trophy or any other for that matter. :roll: OK, the playoffs would be infinitely better BUT I STILL WANT TO LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE US AT WEMBLEY. (But I'm not holding my breath, even my last one). :lol:
Last edited by Exile on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed that for you!

SWS1

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:20 am

SWS1 wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Actually, I care about all the competitions we enter. I'd LOVE us to win at Wembley in the Pea Pot Trophy or any other for that matter. :roll: OK, the playoffs would be infinitely better BUT I STILL WANT TO LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE US AT WEMBLEY. (But I'm not holding my breath, even my last one). :lol:

Oops! My post has appered in Registered's???
:?:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season