Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/10/12/

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Graydon48
Glitterati

Re: Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/10/12/

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Young_Tong wrote:Just before the late goal I was thinking a draw would be a fair result. From where I was sat the goal looked a mile offside but Holden may have been playing their player onside. A disappointing performance in a fairly dull match.

Yep for some reason Holden was standing by the corner flag, shame our defence didn't notice that instead of playing statues waiting for offside. Did anyone notice for their 1st goal the lino was waving his flag in our favour but put it down when they scored?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:Just before the late goal I was thinking a draw would be a fair result. From where I was sat the goal looked a mile offside but Holden may have been playing their player onside. A disappointing performance in a fairly dull match.

Yep for some reason Holden was standing by the corner flag, shame our defence didn't notice that instead of playing statues waiting for offside. Did anyone notice for their 1st goal the lino was waving his flag in our favour but put it down when they scored?

Yes, we noticed that.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Well just back for match and thought we we're quiet poor especially in the second half. We looked tierd and short on ideas, gave the ball away too much and Carlisle looked the sharper team and wanted it more.
Wasn't impressed with Darlow who kicking was terrible and generely think we should go back to Groff.
Smith said on WM we didn't deserve to win on that performance and i agree.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Anyone still think we don't need a plan B, in other words a bug bustling striker to push and shove a bit? We've been found out, now we need another option.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 pm

tinned wrote:Anyone still think we don't need a plan B, in other words a bug bustling striker to push and shove a bit? We've been found out, now we need another option.

We're missing our plan B. It's Chambers. He enables us to put 5 across midfield and be wider with our play.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Probably deserved to lose, Carlisle were extremely organised at the back, and for all our good work and build up play outside the box, we were unable to carve out many clear chances and when we did we couldn't take them.

Grigg was immense today, Taylor didn't look his usual self and Darlow needs to command his box more!

Definitely missing chambers in the middle to free up Cuvelier and Featherstone so that they can do what they do best!

Our support is terrible, why go to a game if your not gonna get behind the team, even when we went 1-0 we wasn't loud, personally I feel we should sing win, lose or draw.

UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 pm

One bad result is an excusable bad day at the office. Two home defeats in the space of five days however, suggests there's something genuinely wrong.

Again, we didn't play that badly, but we did seem to get completely sussed out by a decent looking Carlisle side. They didn't give us a moment's piece to play our passing game, and had players who looked mobile and hungry - in essence, they were better at the things we've been praised for this season.

Our goal was an absolutely fantastic team goal to score. The way we worked the ball wide before picking out the perfect ball into the box, Boweman's dummy to lay things on a plate and Paterson's finish were all absolutely spot-on, and I thought we'd kick on from there. What actually happened was, they came back fighting and we had no response. Granted, a brilliant save by their 'keeper to keep Bowerman's one-on-one out probably kept them in it, but we didn't do enough to build up some momentum.

Garner and Cademarteri gave Butler and Holden a really tough afternoon with their movement and were always on the go. To add to our woes, Robson on their left tore us apart at times - hence the need to bring Purkiss off at half time. Their goal was a poor goal to give away in that Purkiss and Holden failed to make a routine clearance and they got the ball in to allow Garner to do what he does best.

What summed their approach up was the number of times the normally neat and tidy Featherstone gave the ball away. We were our own worst enemies at times by having two strikers who didn't offer enough movement and by trying to play football in our third of the pitch, but they did play a good pressing game and we struggled to play around them.

What lost the game for me was Smith's substitutions. Again, we'd struggled to control things in midfield, yet rather than going 4-5-1 with Baxendale and Cuvelier a bit more free to get forward in support of Bowerman, Smith swapped Baxendale for Hemmings, which meant our struggling system had to remain the same. He then took off our only goal threat for Brandy, who's never going to score against a side whose defensive line has reverted back to the edge of their own penalty area.

Our squad lacks any kind of depth and we looked much worse when Hemmings and Brandy came on, as much as I hate to say it. To make matters worse, Hemmings attitude frankly stank - he'd put the effort in once the ball was at his feet, but spent the rest of the time sauntering around, with no desire to track his man and help out when Carlisle looked to break forward. For a player who was dropped not so long ago, we need him going out there and looking to win his place back, not sulking about like a prima dona.

The injury time winner was always likely given the way we seemed to allow every one of our attacks to stutter and break down, allowing them to break forward at will.

People will undoubtedly argue that we should play 4-4-2 as it's a more attacking setup, but the truth is, it doesn't work with the players we have at our disposal. We need Cuvelier to have the freedom to hurt teams in the middle, and we need Baxendale to be able to offer more than he can as a wide midfielder, which won't happen in such a rigid 4-4-2 where both have to be very disciplined. Grigg played well today, but as the least threatening of the two strikers, should be sacrificed to allow us to go back to running games in midfield. Chambers' return should help that, so hopefully he's back and fighting fit sooner rather than later.

So all in all, a hugely disappointing week. Smith needs to remind himself of what impressed so much at the start of the season and revert to allowing his team to play to its strengths.

larryhaggler

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Rob, I went to Stevenage and we played 4-5-1 and got batterd.
Only when we changed to 442 and looked like getting something from the game.
Bowerman is not a (IMHO) a player that can play the lone striker, he needs much better hold up and heading ability along with strenght and conditioning. He is young so it can be done.

Didnt we play 4-4-2 vs Preston ?
I did not make that game but everyone who did tells me it waste best performance for 10 years !

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

cack. Never got going all game. One to forget.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:I've just returned to the UK after a spell living abroad, so have only caught the odd game here and there over the past several years when I've been back. My first game of the season today, and first since Rochdale on New Years Eve. I take it from reading the board we've improved since then!

Should be a good warm-up before the serious business of the Shrews next weekend.... I've no evidence to base this on, but I'll go for a solid 2-0 today.

A warm welcome to EvenFlow.........if we play with anything like the style that has been on show so far this season then you're in for a treat. :D

Thank you, sir. Wish I was responding under happier circumstances, however...

Well, it hasn't improved, has it? The standard of referees we get, of course. The officials gave Paterson & (especially) Grigg very little protection. I noticed the linesman sheepishly drop his flag as Carlisle celebrated the equaliser... and did Noble get booked for his celebration? I didn't see it, if he did.

For the first seventy minutes, the off the ball movement from the front four was like little I'd ever seen from a Walsall side, they were a great unit. Of course, when Baxendale went off, the cohesion between the forwards seemed to suffer, and from then on Carlisle looked the more likely winners. As others have said, Grigg was our best player: he worked the channels well, linked up with Baxendale superbly, and was our main outlet more often than not... although this included in the air, which failed to come off more often than it worked. His work deserved a goal, but the job his was doing meant he was seldom in a position to get one. I do think (not Grigg's fault) however, that he is simply not physically strong enough to do some of the things asked of him today.

Which brings me to Carlisle... they were decent, organised, and... well, bigger than us, weren't they? I do think at times we were very Arsenal-esque- very tidy & creative, but wanted to walk the ball in, almost. There felt a massive reluctance to get crosses into the box, and when Carlisle sussed this after about an hour, they were happy to sit back & let us play across them, seldom threatening. If we had the option of a Rammell/Goodman/Mooney/Ibhere/Martin Butler/Clive Platt type player, we'd have been much less predictable as the game worn on, and likely have come away with something.... witness injury time, when we finally got a half-decent cross in for Brandy to fluff his lines. Any of the aforementioned would've buried that.

Still, not all doom & gloom. It was a far sight more enjoyable than just about any of the half-dozen or so performances I've gotten to over the past 2 years on my trips back, so in a perverse way, I'm actually encouraged with how down everyone (including Smith) seems to be on us today. Other observations were:

My one gripe with Butler has subsided. He now gives it simple to a full back or Featherstone instead of sticking his laces through the ball 3 times out of 5. However, this progress was undone by Darlow's woeful long-kicking.

First time I've seen Purkiss, and thought he supported the attacks very effectively. If he wasn't injured, I kind of understand the substitution as most of Carlisle's first half joy was coming from down his flank, but for me Taundry was about like-for-like defensively, and wasn't able to find space in the opposition half as effectively.

Featherstone was very decent, in a keep-things-ticking kind of way, generally seemed to have time on the ball, and put his foot in well all afternoon. When further upfield in the latter second half, he did seem a little hesitant to look for a final ball, and appeared to want to find someone else to take responsibility. For that reason, I'll be very interested to see him in a midfield 3, possibly at Shrewsbury, if Grigg is away with the N.Irish.

Paterson, in the first half, looked to have grown in leaps & bounds from the raw kid I saw a few times last year. Yet, as we struggled to find new ways to get through Carlisle, his confidence appeared to wane as a result & he reverted to occasionally-indecisive. My first-timers conclusion from this would be that when we're on song, he's on song.

Ah, onwards & upwards, and off to Shropshire next week. My first away day since Ashton Gate & a winner from Grant Smith. In many ways, it's good to be back in Blighty!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

larryhaggler wrote:Rob, I went to Stevenage and we played 4-5-1 and got batterd.
Only when we changed to 442 and looked like getting something from the game.
Bowerman is not a (IMHO) a player that can play the lone striker, he needs much better hold up and heading ability along with strenght and conditioning. He is young so it can be done.

Didnt we play 4-4-2 vs Preston ?
I did not make that game but everyone who did tells me it waste best performance for 10 years !

But the difference was, we were more of a surprise package then. We've been deservedly beaten by two teams this week - both of which got amongst us in midfield and stopped us playing. With an extra man in there, we play to our strengths and give the likes of Cuvelier, Paterson & Baxendale to support whoever plays as the lone striker.

The fact is this: 4-4-2 didn't work today and it didn't work on Tuesday. As a result, we have no points to show from two very winnable games.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:The bloke on WM was so right, we were so fatigued and unfit in the last 20 minutes it was shocking! Lazy, not running for eachother; the only one who did run at them was Flo and Butler.

More importantly, Featherstone has had a shave :shock:

:wink: glad you agreed with me, never been called a bloke before lol

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:11 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:More importantly, Featherstone has had a shave :shock:

Maybe we should nickname him Samson then. :D
Probably my favourite of the new signings, but didn't have the best of games today.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I really hope he gives some of those fringe players a chance on tuesday, Jakes Jones and Connor Taylor etc. I dont think Brandy and Hemmings really suit our style of play, but used as subs they can be used as a plan b. They both have the ability to be more direct with the ball(at their feet).

Why dont we put Taundry in midfield, that will sort out the problems? :wink:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:14 pm

tinned wrote:Anyone still think we don't need a plan B, in other words a bug bustling striker to push and shove a bit? We've been found out, now we need another option.

Too bloody true. Putting Butler up front for 25 minutes on Tuesday was pathetic at this stage of the season. I actually think that a bit more directness - ie. a winger beating a fullback and putting in a cross to a striker would have worked against Carlisle (deserved winners today) - from the bottom of the asbo lower it looked like Brandy should have equalised with the header in the last few seconds. I dont want Hutchings hoofball again, just the squad to change the course of a game to some extent.

No need to panic though - this looked like what it will probably be at the end of the season, two mid-table teams in a tight game. Who said "you don't win owt with kids"?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:33 pm

I still think we need a if target man. I'd love someone like Steve Howard who can bring the ball down and then bring the likes of Flo, Pato and Baxendale into play as well as being a big threat in the air when we get the crosses in. Not saying we'd get Steve Howard, but i think we need some one similar to him. We could then revert to 4-4-2 as plan b.

I still think the two Chambers coming back will be a big boost. Particularly Adam who would allow the likes of Flo to be unleashed. Also though, James would have been perfect to bring on at half time by the sounds of what people were saying about Purkiss being torn a new one.

I too believe Deano should rest a few for Tuesday, give Grof another chance in goal as well as give the likes of Downing, C.Taylor, Jones, and Brandy time to try and impress. Also, if A.Chambers is back in training, maybe give him a runout for the last 20 minutes too.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Plenty of possession no real fire power was the way WM Described the game ,agreed with Rob you can excuse one home defeat but two on the bounce shows we have a problem.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

We're missing our plan B. It's Chambers. He enables us to put 5 across midfield and be wider with our play.

Agreed. Although I'd say what we saw today was our plan B. Plan A is the 5 across midfield and more effective play out wide.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Agreed. Although I'd say what we saw today was our plan B. Plan A is the 5 across midfield and more effective play out wide.

my only problem here is, i done think grigg can play that role, bowerman pulls it off better, but in my opinion grigg showed his class today when the ball was given to feet, its a pretty stiky situation.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Bowerman would be wasted playing on his own. The lads a goalscorer.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Are any fellow UTS's colour blind like myself?

Had real difficulty distinquishing between the two strips today, only way I could tell for certain was the hoops on our socks. If your not colour blind you obviously will not understand how green (as im lead to believe) can look so much like red from a distance :(

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Are any fellow UTS's colour blind like myself?

Had real difficulty distinquishing between the two strips today, only way I could tell for certain was the hoops on our socks. If your not colour blind you obviously will not understand how green (as im lead to believe) can look so much like red from a distance :(

My mate said exactly the same to me. Why were Carlisle in green anyway?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 pm

The winner just looks like an utter fudge on the telly. Pathetic.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 pm

tinned wrote:

It was odd. How's it even work anyway? Does the away team get to pick which kit they want to use even if the home doesn't clash?

We should play in Yellow. 8)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
tinned wrote:

It was odd. How's it even work anyway? Does the away team get to pick which kit they want to use even if the home doesn't clash?

We should play in Yellow. 8)

As im lead to believe, the ref goes into both changing rooms prior to the game and then will decide if the away strip clash's with the home kit, obviously he got that wrong like most of the decisions through the afternoon.

p.s I would like to apolgise to anyone who heard my foul mouthed rant towards the ref's assistant today, I took full advantage of my position in the wheelchair area to point out exactly what I thought of him.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 pm

One to forget, never got going.

Looking forward to moving on to Vale on Tuesday and the big one on Saturday. I want to be bringing maximum points home from Wales!

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Negatives
Darlow, is in no way better than what we have.
Taylor, shows signs of having a chip on his shoulder. Looks like a sulker.
Patterson, only wants to produce things he can boast about on twitter or to his mates. Simple Ball anyone ?
Grigg, the boys got to learn about what a cutting edge is. Any fan could go out and graft.
Ash Hemmings, one of the poorest attitudes, approaches i've seen in a good while. Easy to see why he left out.
Brandy, give him the benefit of the doubr because of rust, but looks like a wasteful ref chasing moaner
Overplaying and getting robbed. Teams are going to suss us out quick time, get your shape against us then hustle us - we have no answer to it.

Positives
Its a million times better than last season
It can improve if we strengthen.
Bowerman looks like a player.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 pm

The manager lost it for us today. Also small triangles in a radius of about 1 metre don't work.

Normal service resumed.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Have to agree with your opinions of Taylor and Paterson. Taylor - Average. Not a patch on Sadler from what I've seen so far. No doubt he is quality but you need to prove it son. Paterson - This guy couldn't care less if we win, lose or draw. He fancies himself big time but from what I've seen this season he's no better than the majority of lower league dross at this level.

Prove me wrong.

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:51 pm

thats a good point actually mate

we looked obsessed with trying to knock it around.

1m of space and 3 players.

Not working

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season