Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (h) - League 1 - 02/10/2012

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: Leyton Orient (h) - League 1 - 02/10/2012

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 am

Bernie wrote:The goalkeeper has to be at fault if he is beaten from the half-way line. Like a fielder on the boundary he has to be able to judge the flight of the ball quickly enough to get into position to take the catch. By definition if a ball goes between the posts and under the bar then it must be within the goalkeeper's reach since he has enough time to move to a shot from more than fifty yards.

Darlow got nowhere near that shot because he did not judge its flight quickly enough.

How many expect a shot fom there? Very, very few, if any

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Hold on, how does a jolly well professional goalkeeper concede from 60 yards. Im sorry, thats a joke.

Wonder if Darlow will get slated now like Grof did?

This

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:How many expect a shot fom there? Very, very few, if any

A goalkeeper should not just be a spectator, he must concentrate fully throughout the match. Obviously Darlow was not expecting a shot, and not really following the flight of the ball for the first half of its journey.

I wonder how many goals Darlow would concede in a practice exercise with players shooting from inside their own halves? I doubt if any professional keeper would let in one out of a hundred shots on target from that range.

If he had been paying full attention he would have had plenty of time to move into position and make the save.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am

ihatethecorps wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Hold on, how does a jolly well professional goalkeeper concede from 60 yards. Im sorry, thats a joke.

Wonder if Darlow will get slated now like Grof did?

This

I thought that was exactly what people were doing! He still inspires more confidence than Grof, for me

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm

I would wager he couldn't do that again with the ball not bouncing and without a keeper in the net. Should have been disallowed under a new rule called " a not intended goal"

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Looking at that, Darlow was not at fault

You have got to be joking! :shock:

Totally agree.

From what I've seen he's a half decent keeper but definitely no better or worse than Grof.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:24 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Told you this would happen.

Orient are a big physical side, they've done their homework, put 5 across the middle and stopped us playing.

They're pressing hard and keeping a rigid shape, meaning the likes of baxendale, cuvelier and Paterson are being made to look very ordinary.

I didn't think they were physical at all or big.Some of their players were small! They played some nice stuff, it was just the fact that for some reason we didn't turn up in the first half which ultimately cost us.If we had played like we did in the 2nd half in the first, then i have no doubt we would have won that game.

To be fair, phil told us that would happen as well.
In fact for any negative outcome you can imagine - even the most bizarre and unthinkable - phil has told us it would happen and will regurgitate it as the occasion demands.

IMO:
We struggled to cope with playing into the strong wind in the first half (Phil's Pronouncement #53578).
Darlow failed to take account of the wind & wandered too far off his line (PP#39210) - this being lack of experience from the young goalkeeper (PP#14346).
The wind, so strong in the first half (PP#72995), completely disappeared in the second half (PP#83042).
Ultimately, our poor showing in the first half (PP#10592) meant that Walsall would lose the match (PP#00001).

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I would wager he couldn't do that again with the ball not bouncing and without a keeper in the net."

Well, I agree with that because if there was a keeper in the net he'd have saved it 99.99999% if the time.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Darlow brings more to the team than Grof, his shot stopping is on a par with him but his distribution is miles better

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Darlow brings more to the team than Grof, his shot stopping is on a par with him but his distribution is miles better

More importantly his communication, physical presence and ability to claim a 'keepers ball' is better than that of Grof's. It's clear to me that the defence play with more confidence with Darlow between the sticks than with Grof.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm

The video of the long-range goal has been "removed by the user"..... :?

heretosayafewwords

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Not enough credit to Orient for their game plan last night. Worked us out, did it very well.

Darlow was suspect on the first goal, at fault for the second. If the ball flew over him I could forgive it but truthfully, it was a "clipped" strike rather than a belter. The fact that everyone was waiting for the guy to put it out of play didnt help us - his team mate being on the floor was rightly of no relevance. He played on and executed his strike well.

Purkiss and the first goal. Cant salughter the guy because the winger had great skills, balance etc. The mistake he made was not kepping him on his right foot. He didnt have a right foot at all and the rest of the match he showed that - Purkiss clearly worked that out.

Game was lost in midfield where they were excellent, cutting off our passing ability.

Grigg - big concerns about this guy. Very much side to side movement and I dont recall seeing make a run in behind a defender. Runs behind got us the pen, the should be pen (Brandy) and it hurt them whenever we did it. Grigg though, very one dimensional, easy to work out and quickly too.

We come do some damage in this division with a genuine goalscorer. Overall Im so pleased to see some football being played, real football with movement and thought along with retaining possesion. All the good teams in all the divisions in all of Europe do it well - keep the ball.

Should be a good season - and about time too!

Up the saddlers!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:More importantly his communication, physical presence and ability to claim a 'keepers ball' is better than that of Grof's.

That wasn't the impression I got when Holden tried to head the ball back to him and Lisbie nearly scored. No communication whatsoever there.

As I said before, he pulled off as many really good saves as the goals he conceded last night so can't necessarily be held accountable for the defeat. Not convinced his overall contribution is better than Grof's though.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Darlow brings more to the team than Grof, his shot stopping is on a par with him but his distribution is miles better

More importantly his communication, physical presence and ability to claim a 'keepers ball' is better than that of Grof's. It's clear to me that the defence play with more confidence with Darlow between the sticks than with Grof.

I am sure Grof is watching and learning as he sits on the bench.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Dean Smith 1-2 Russell Slade

Walsall fans summed up nicely by plasticface next to me who rather than criticise our new clown in goal proclaimed that said clown had been spending too much time with Grof

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am

Watched both highlights on Saddlers Player and Sky Sports and how Grigg didn't get a penalty and Brandy a penalty or free-kick I have no idea!! Ref bottled both of those decisions big time!

Brandy looks PACEY! Should have scored with the header which started the scramble though - looked to completely misjudge it but probably a little rusty after his injuries.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 am

Brandy looks a decent little player, tricky lad and like you said absolutely no idea how he didn't win a penalty for us, one of the most clear cut fouls you'll ever seen, even the OAP's put down their paper and flasks when the Orient supporting Referee bottled it.

It was actually a great game now I look back, the second half was proper ace, decent support for once, just a shame we all need geeing up first.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 am

Darth Vader wrote:Brandy looks a decent little player, tricky lad and like you said absolutely no idea how he didn't win a penalty for us, one of the most clear cut fouls you'll ever seen, even the OAP's put down their paper and flasks when the Orient supporting Referee bottled it.

It was actually a great game now I look back, the second half was proper ace, decent support for once, just a shame we all need geeing up first.

Looking at the Sky highlights, it was a foul on Brandy, but the contact was outside the box. Can't see how he didn't give it, though.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Brandy looks a decent little player, tricky lad and like you said absolutely no idea how he didn't win a penalty for us, one of the most clear cut fouls you'll ever seen, even the OAP's put down their paper and flasks when the Orient supporting Referee bottled it.

Looking at the Sky highlights, it was a foul on Brandy, but the contact was outside the box. Can't see how he didn't give it, though.

Agree that it was a blatent foul, so should have been a booking and a free kick as contact initially started a couple of yards outside the box, the Grigg incident looked a good shout though!

Also I cant really fault Darlow for the goal, it's a shot which is only going to go in, once in a blue moon. Maybe Darlow was a little slow, but it would be more worrying for me if he was stood on his line all the time, as a GK and the opposition are in their own half with the ball, the GK should be near the edge of his penalty area IMO, just so he can be alert to any through balls which would be more of a threat in most situation than a speculative 60 yard shot which 90 times out of a 100 will sail over or lack the pace to even trouble.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Agree that it was a blatent foul, so should have been a booking and a free kick as contact initially started a couple of yards outside the box, the Grigg incident looked a good shout though!

Also I cant really fault Darlow for the goal, it's a shot which is only going to go in, once in a blue moon. Maybe Darlow was a little slow, but it would be more worrying for me if he was stood on his line all the time, as a GK and the opposition are in their own half with the ball, the GK should be near the edge of his penalty area IMO, just so he can be alert to any through balls which would be more of a threat in most situation than a speculative 60 yard shot which 90 times out of a 100 will sail over or lack the pace to even trouble.

Agree about the "wonder goal". Darlow was standing where he should have been.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 am

That "wonder goal" is one of Sky's contenders for "Goal of the Week". :roll: ('D', if you want to vote)

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:49 pm

I thought the keeper was more at fault for the first personally - hard shot, but it went straight through him at the near post.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/262809/video

Genuine freak/wondergoal for the 2nd - the wind was also a bit blustery around then as well. I can't remember feeling a gust in the asbo lower, but its possible it caught one as well. On to tomorrow then - Carlisle apparently fancy themselves as a proper footie team, so it should be an interesting game.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:52 am

The goal scored from long range by orient has just been shown on football focus :(

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season