Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bournemouth (a) - League 1 - 29/09/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
UTS Legend

Re: Bournemouth (a) - League 1 - 29/09/12

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Are any of the results right on the BBC website?

They have started to change some of them now.

And we've moved down from 4th to 6th!

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Just finished moving house and jizzed pants when saw the late winner !!! Didnt I say on my first post that this young team might just gel ?? Fantastic result boys !! Just got this little feeling of Sir Rays first year....who knows lets hope so !! :D
Up the Saddlers FOREVER !!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:25 pm

That Mitchell fella's gone off on one outside the ground again. Probably necked half a bottle of vodka before making an entrance. Can you imagine Bonser doing that under the Hutchings era? I think he'd be ducking and diving all sorts. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4AFLK9kiw[/youtube]

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:32 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:... Just got this little feeling of Sir Rays first year....who knows lets hope so...

SHHHH! If you're going to post something like this, keep it quiet in case the Gods of Football notice, and strike us down!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:40 pm

gray
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Just left a comment!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Me too. Fool!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Well this is all very splendid, full on cometjizz in Derbyshire. Bowerman's on fire at the moment, long may it continue

SWS1

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Smith out. Bonser has killed WFC. Husk of a club. Certain relegation. Financial oblivion.

AGAINST ALL THE ODDS (JB) SMITH HAS BUILT A HALF DECENT TEAM - WITH HELP OF COURSE BUT NOT FROM (JB) :D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Still on way back we were epic today fully deserved our win....more to follow tomoz, very drunk atm lol

gray
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 pm

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... s/?ref=rss

Eddie Mitchell scuffled with angry Bournemouth fans after the match.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm

gray wrote:http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/9957513.Cherries__Mitchell_clashes_with_supporters/?ref=rss

They ay happy Tone :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Superb win... so proud to be a Saddler. Winning and doing it the right way.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:26 pm

30 more points please.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Percie wrote:30 more points please.

33 to guaranteed safety. Here's hoping for a few more freak results like this to get us there as soon as possible. :wink:

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
gray wrote:http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/9957513.Cherries__Mitchell_clashes_with_supporters/?ref=rss

They ay happy Tone :D

Errr....is it a 'edgehog Tone?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Percie wrote:30 more points please.

By Christmas :)

Been out and about today but kept an eye on proceedings. What a team eh?

Coming up on Tuesday - cor wait.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Just got back from another great away day.
A joy to watch a Walsall team play the way we did today.
Although I've never decided to 'Stay Away', I appreciate and respect the motives of many who do; having said that, you could all do yourselves a big favour (and not line the pockets of everyone's favourite tap magnate) by getting to the away matches instead and getting behind a team who deserve your encouragement - we are certainly worth watching nowadays, some stars in the making who won't be with us forever.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:26 pm

mel58 wrote:Just got back from another great away day.
Although I've never decided to 'Stay Away', I appreciate and respect the motives of many who do; having said that, you could all do yourselves a big favour (and not line the pockets of everyone's favourite tap magnate) by getting to the away matches instead and getting behind a team who deserve your encouragement - we are certainly worth watching nowadays, some stars in the making who won't be with us forever.

Away matches are great, but it's the money we get from the home games that will help Deano push on.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Away matches are great, but it's the money we get from the home games that will help Deano push on.

I am sure our own no 1 stay away supporter will return to spoil the little joy we are having at the moment by flogging Bowerman at the first chance he gets.

Kneecap
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Seeing references to the "Goldsands", can anyone tell me what happened to Dean's Court? I hadn't realised they'd moved.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:24 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I am sure our own no 1 stay away supporter will return to spoil the little joy we are having at the moment by flogging Bowerman at the first chance he gets.

You're a loff ay ya? :roll:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Kneecap wrote:Seeing references to the "Goldsands", can anyone tell me what happened to Dean's Court? I hadn't realised they'd moved.

It is Dean Court. They've sold the naming rights

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I thought all 2000 stayaways went away. Ahh well, get the kids in, get the Bonser weirdos out.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:53 pm

I feel so proud to be a Saddler right now. I've always been proud but right now I'm buzzin!

Give it your best lads and we'll be right behind you as always.

Two big home games back to back then its our Welsh rivals from Shrewsbury!
Last edited by Walsall_Casual on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Before anyone starts jizzin over JB. Smith, ROK, Gamble and the players deserve all the credit.

SWS1

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Can someone post a link to the Sky video highlights of the game when available, please?
(Have the BBC stopped putting up video highlights?)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Well, where do I start? Having heard so much about our attractive style of play I obtained a 12-hour pass to go to Bournemouth, and how glad I am that I did!!! In 50+ years of watching Walsall I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen a Walsall side play with such confidence, such accuracy and ability as this lot. Plus, they actually seem to be enjoying themselves at the same time. Comparing it with the dark days of Merson, Barnwell, Hibbitt and even back to Johnny Love - it really is chalk and cheese.

I did make copious notes at the game but I won't bore you with all of them - perhaps a few tasters will do:

We kicked off, and within 8 seconds Will Grigg was off-side... attacking intentions were there already. For the first 15 minutes or so it was even stevens - Bournemouth were certainly no mugs, playing the occasional bit of pretty football but tending to find it all breaking down as they got near our penalty area. Both Baxendale and Grigg showed much enthusiasm for tracking back to regain possession, often successfully.

We had a corner on 16 minutes taken by Paterson, and Andy Butler headed wide. We were quite happy and willing to let fly from distance, wanting to test Bournemouth's newly-signed keeper David James.

I noted on 23 minutes that the game had 0-0 written all over it......... :oops:

When we did play the long ball up to Will Grigg or Bowerman it was not very productive - Bournemouth had their equivalent of Butler and Holden, a couple of giants. Much as Grigg tried his best, he wasn't going to get the better of them in the air. As the game wore on he developed his approach, using his skill on the ground.

We were playing the better, more skilful football, much more accurate in our passing than Bournemouth.

After 40 minutes a cross from our right wing was partially cleared, immediately re-crossed, and Andy Butler was the first of two waiting Walsall players to get his head to it. A close range headed goal, and David James absolutely nowhere.

Second half Bournemouth redoubled their efforts, and brought a fine full length save from Darlow, who really hadn't had much to do until that point. We had a break away with Grigg chasing a ball, a Bournemouth defender either side of him and he was definitely sandwiched, but nothing was given.

Grigg's work-rate nearly paid handsome dividends when David James elected not to kick clear but dribble out of his area...Grigg actually got the tackle in, the ball squirted towards the corner flag and the cross came to nothing. It was certainly a wake-up call for James though!!

We had a lovely purple patch after Bournemouth ran out of steam in the second half - in their half of the pitch about five of our players were stroking the ball around just like a training session. Real men against boys stuff, with Bournemouth totally unable to get possession. Every Walsall touch was greeted with a cheer, and there must have been 15 or more passing movements in that one phase - it was a joy to watch, as was so much of our play.

From an outswinging corner Taylor (I think) tried his luck with a volley that would have severely tested the netting had it been more accurate. Cuvelier had a long-range effort shortly afterwards.

One Bournemouth attack that provoked a crowd response was answered by the Walsall chorus of "We forgot that you were 'ere" :lol:

Baxendale was replaced by Taundry on 75 minutes, and on 81 minutes we seemed to be absent at right back, allowing them to equalise from a through ball. At that point I would have been reasonably happy with the draw, but the players thought very differently - a Walsall corner in the 89th minute saw a low inswinging delivery which George Bowerman appeared to side-foot from close range past David James.

Bournemouth huffed and puffed, and did shave our post in the 90th minute. Even after that they forced a fine close range save by Darlow from quite a powerful shot.

I won't award individual marks, I've bored you enough already, but I would make a couple of observations......

Why, oh why, do certain professional football defenders have the notion that holding their arms up aloft will persuade the officials that the opposition attacker is offside? All it does is waste time, allowing the opponent to make further progress. Both Andy Butler and Andy Taylor were guilty of this (several times) - surely it's basic sense to "play the whistle" :evil:

Another little gripe...when we have a free-kick way out near the touchline, it's usually the case that the ball will be delivered to the waiting multitude on the edge of the area - so why do we need two players standing over the ball? That's a waste of one player who could be more useful up front.

The playing surface by the way was very satisfactory, as it should be at this time of the year - but prior to kick off, and all through half-time, huge sprinklers were used to water all areas of the pitch. This led to several players slipping and sliding and generally falling over at the slightest challenge.

A final note of humour....in the team lists on the official programme, our number 8 is actually printed as Florence Cuvelier :lol:

I'll close now, thank you for your patience :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 pm

WE ARE WALSALL

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks for that, Welsh! Great stuff!

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season