Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
longdogs
UTS Legend

Re: P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Stay aways - if you're staying away cos of Bonser, well whatever. If you're staying away cos the football's been cack for the last few years, come back now, this is the best footballing team we've had in years.

We absolutely destroyed Preston in the second half, and always looked more likely to score again than they did to pull one back. Fantastic to watch. Everyone played well today, but a special word for Baxendale - for a Hereford reject he isn't half a good player;-) He thoroughly deserved his standing ovation when he came off.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 pm

How in the world of high tensile steel did Hereford go down? They're fudge rejects!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Well... I was very impressed. For one reason or another, this was my first viewing of the super Saddlers today, what a difference from last seasons dross.

Most impressive for me were Baxendale, Bowerman and Holden. I thought everyone did well. Paterson is perhaps a "home only" luxury, because in my opinion he give it away too often.

Anyway - all good. Totally outplayed PNE.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:02 pm

longdogs wrote:Stay aways - if you're staying away cos of Bonser, well whatever. If you're staying away cos the football's been cack for the last few years, come back now, this is the best footballing team we've had in years.

We absolutely destroyed Preston in the second half, and always looked more likely to score again than they did to pull one back. Fantastic to watch. Everyone played well today, but a special word for Baxendale - for a Hereford reject he isn't half a good player;-) He thoroughly deserved his standing ovation when he came off.

This.

Fantastic football.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:03 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:I hope Smith knows what he is doing today.

That'll be a yes then.

No, it'll be down to O'Kelly :!:

Actually, you say that but I wonder how big a part he is playing. Certainly our football seems similar to that which O'Kelly and O'Driscoll played at Doncaster. I said all along that O'Kelly would be our most important signing of the summer, much more so than getting in a big-name player. He and Smith are becoming a good double act.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:03 pm

tinned wrote:
longdogs wrote:Stay aways - if you're staying away cos of Bonser, well whatever. If you're staying away cos the football's been guano for the last few years, come back now, this is the best footballing team we've had in years.

This.

Fantastic football.

I agree.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm

That's the best I've seen us play in years (apart from the horrible defending for their goal), never got worried even when we were one-nil down as we looked like we could score at anytime. Also, we won even though they had a Sodje (who was a dirty fool).

Good to hear a few choruses of 'Graham Westley, what a barclays' too.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Just a quick word for their keeper, Steve Simonsen, who made two or three fantastic saves today. Quality player.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:14 pm

We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Get yourself down the bescot you so called Walsall fans, another crap home turnout. I ain't seen us play this good since I've been going. Destroyed PNE.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:18 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:I hope Smith knows what he is doing today.

That'll be a yes then.

No, it'll be down to O'Kelly :!:

Actually, you say that but I wonder how big a part he is playing. Certainly our football seems similar to that which O'Kelly and O'Driscoll played at Doncaster. I said all along that O'Kelly would be our most important signing of the summer, much more so than getting in a big-name player. He and Smith are becoming a good double act.

I agree, but I won't let the Smith haters get away with that one :wink: Presumably he must have had a major input into the decision to bring in O'Kelly and would have sanctioned the signing of the new players. A good management team indeed by the looks of it so credit to them both.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Sorry to disagree with some of the milder approvals of the game today, but that was a jizztastic performance. Speaking as a cynical old fudge, that was absolutely brilliant. We pissed on them, and they'd nearly given up by the hour mark. A fantastic passing performance, should have been 5 or 6. When I got my season ticket this year, I seriously thought that it was to watch a certain relegation given the star name acquisitions that we made in the summer. I've no doubt that we'll fall away a bit as we have a threadbare squad and our bigger opponents will no doubt be putting the boot in to our little boys when we play them on heavier pitches, but in the words of my all time political hero, "Rejoice, rejoice". They were that good to watch today.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:26 pm

I was in two minds whether to go today and am I glad I decided to do so! We gave Preston a lesson in how to play football today and played them off the park. From start to finish we were superb.

The only negative was conceding a poor goal, when Preston exploited Purkiss pushing up too far and their striker found himself in acres of space to glance home.

With that out the way, onto the many many positives. Everyone had a good game. The football was excellent, I think that's the best i've seen us play for years. Some of the cross field switching with inch perfect passes was just fantastic. When we couldn't break them down, we knocked it round from one side to the other until we found space to attack through. It really was a joy to watch. Even before we conceded we were in total control and their goal came against the run of play. When they did score I was worried heads would drop. They did, for about two minutes, then after that we were back into full swing and dominating again. If it wasn't for their keeper in easily could've been six!

Darlow: Did well with what he had to do. His distribution is excellent.

Purkiss: Caught way out of position for their goal, but other than that solid and posed a threat going forward.
Butler: Superb.
Holden: Fantastic and some. Had their strikers in his back pocket all game. The pick of the defence.
Taylor: Solid defensively and was a real threat going forward.

Baxendale: How this lad didn't get MOTM is beyond me. Superb goal once again and destroyed Preston today. Best play on the pitch by a country mile.
Cuvelier: Superb, so intelligent on and off the ball. Some of his passing today was out the top draw.
Featherstone: Quiet by his standards but as usual rarely wasted the ball.
Paterson: Mixed. He played well but once again loses the ball too much. Looked to cover the fullbacks a lot more today which is good.

Grigg: Best i've seen him play in a while. Showed good movement and he hustled and bustled a lot. Did well to set up the equaliser. He even looked to defend towards the end.
Bowerman: Fantastic. Intelligent runs on and off the ball and never gives in. Did well to win the penalty, and his second goal was a sublime finish.

As for the subs, none really had much time to make any impact.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Buzzin, and i didnt even go.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Although I am a season ticket holder, that was my first game of the season due to a holiday and other commitments. I thought we were amazing today, the passing, the movement, the energy of the team and the passion was first class. We we a team of plodders for most of last season but this team is the start of something special if we can keep them together and add 1 or 2 more players. We were immense in every position and played with so much confidence, something that has been sorely missed over the last few seasons. If you added all the good bits of last season's home games together,it wouldn't have been as good as that 90 minutes today.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm

latviancheese wrote:Buzzin, and i didnt even go.

Me too :wink: .

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm

We totally smashed them! Should have been 5 or 6. Worth the Admission price to watch football like that

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Was it a regulation 4-4-2 or was Grigg in behind Bowerman? Presumably Paterson on the left and Baxendale on the right?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Was it a regulation 4-4-2 or was Grigg in behind Bowerman? Presumably Paterson on the left and Baxendale on the right?

Looked a straight 442 to me.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Was it a regulation 4-4-2 or was Grigg in behind Bowerman? Presumably Paterson on the left and Baxendale on the right?

4-4-sex.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Darlow: Not at Fault for the goal, excellent tip over the bar, good distribution, apart from that had nothing else to do.

Purkiss: Went missing for the goal, excellent pass to Baxendale in the 2nd half that led to a chance.
Butler: Commanding.
Holden: Commanding.
Taylor: Very steady, its nice to watch us play from the back but must learn sometimes its best to just put your foot through it or you will get caught from time to time like he did in the 5th minute.

Baxendale: Absolutely brilliant, excellent goal and stunning effort well saved, tore them apart at times.
Cuvelier: A couple of miss-placed passes but apart from that excellent.
Featherstone: Not sure if its me but seemed to have a very quiet game today.
Paterson: Frustrating.

Grigg: Played very well, worked hard, 1 maybe 2 assists. Still does not look like scoring.
Bowerman: M.O.M for obvious reasons (harsh on Baxendale) excellent penalty and quality finish for 2nd goal.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

It was, I thought Grigg held the ball up well and won a few headers! Could be a useful partnership developing between him and Bowerman.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 pm

890 PNE in a crowd of 4,189.

'Home' league attendances so far:

Donny 3,205
Brentford 2,965
MK 3,220
PNE 3,299

Our attendances are gradually on the up...

PS: loving the reports from the match :) :)
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:06 pm

I agree with all the praise for that performance. Walsall totally outplayed a decent Preston team. When did we last play such good football throughout the whole match? Baxendale was superb - as well as pace, skill and effort he has a very quick football brain. He will certainly play at a higher level.

Playing two up front was the right decision - having a strike partner seemed to give Grigg and Bowerman more confidence. Grigg won more in the air today than he usually does in five matches.

The transformation in our team which began with the signing of Cuvelier in January has been incredible. I think that Cuvelier has shown the other players, and Dean Smith, that playing the ball on the ground through midfield is a lot better than his previous hoof-ball tactics. For the first time for years we have midfielders who all can actually play football.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Purkiss was the pick of the bunch for me. Great passing, wants to get involved, chasing up the wing. His confidence has grown so much since the first game. He did go missing for the first goal but the goalie should have done better. I think he thought the scorer was offside and didn't play to the whistle.

Seems we may also have found a genuine threat in Taylor when it comes to free kicks.

A great all round team display. No weak links this week. :D :D :D
Last edited by DonningtonSaddler on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:14 pm

BathSaddler wrote:890 PNE in a crowd of 4,189.

'Home' league attendances so far:

Donny 3,205
Brentford 2,965
MK 3,220
PNE 3,299

Our attendances are gradually on the up...more good news.

PS: loving the reports from the match :) :)

Looked more than 890 Preston supporters.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Just brilliant today i dont think we have seen passing sequences as good since merson samways and corica these are a very young team and confidence is going to be key to maintain this standard of football

I was a bit concerned about confidence levels after the midweek result and especially after going a goal down but the support was great today and we stayed with the team helping them to turn it around and to keep trying to playing a passing game
There is a positive vibe now at at the club players are gelling well as a team smith and o kelly are working well together and the fans are starting to believe

The momentum is growing and the chambers boys are almost ready to provide more than able reinforcements

When and if the time comes recruiting quality loan players will be easier if we maintain our league position

Uts

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 pm

at last it doesnt feel just like a routine going to watch walsall at home
sublime passing skillful play all running together overlapping
we made preston look like prestatyn

special mention for taylors pass for our equallizer top class premiership pass that deserved the beautful finish.

today weve grown up as a team and i dont care where we finish in league please just more of this because its a pleasure to say that today was lovely being a walsall fan.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Absolute joy to watch today and all credit to Smith for having a vision of a young, technically proficient team and actually implimenting it on the pitch. If this is what the future holds for us (win, lose or draw) then i'll watch this with pleasure and wouldn't care if they put the season ticket prices up - it's that good. We've had successful teams in the past but I can't remember any in recent years that have wanted to play such a fluid, passing system... just call us Walsalona.

Proud to be Saddler and not just cuz we won, but how we did it. This beer tastes all the better... :D

(Oh and the effort from Baxendale after i don't know how many passes would have been goal of the season if it had gone in)

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:22 pm

kshammer wrote:Absolute joy to watch today and all credit to Smith for having a vision of a young, technically proficient team and actually implimenting it on the pitch. If this is what the future holds for us (win, lose or draw) then i'll watch this with pleasure and wouldn't care if they put the season ticket prices up - it's that good. We've had successful teams in the past but I can't remember any in recent years that have wanted to play such a fluid, passing system... just call us Walsalona.

Proud to be Saddler and not just cuz we won, but how we did it. This beer tastes all the better... :D

(Oh and the effort from Baxendale after i don't know how many passes would have been goal of the season if it had gone in)

Just hope the FLS do the match justice with some decent highlights instead of the usual 20 seconds we usually get.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:39 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:Absolute joy to watch today and all credit to Smith for having a vision of a young, technically proficient team and actually implimenting it on the pitch. If this is what the future holds for us (win, lose or draw) then i'll watch this with pleasure and wouldn't care if they put the season ticket prices up - it's that good. We've had successful teams in the past but I can't remember any in recent years that have wanted to play such a fluid, passing system... just call us Walsalona.

Just hope the FLS do the match justice with some decent highlights instead of the usual 20 seconds we usually get.

Should do, I think they just about see PNE as a big club. Nicely squeezed around the club that shall not pay bills.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season