Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Duke
Site Addict

Re: P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Outstanding , to bounce back from Stevenege with a performance and result like today shows we could be on the brink of something special.

I've never been a big fan of Dean Smith and very often hoped he'd prove me wrong he is starting to do just that.

UTS

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Summed up how good that was today when my pessimistic cynical old man came out the ground and said that's the best performance and result since we destroyed the baggies 4-1!

Mention to the boys behind the goal, great support and singing today and old skool songs, the sloppies are shagging sheep, ah the days of FP! Big up the singers

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Brilliant performance I thought baxendale outstanding a real threat. Well done
For signing him. Only weakness really is purkiss who seems to run like hes either been kicked in the
Goolies or has lead in his boots. Quality today. A stay away returns !!!!!!!

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:51 pm

An utter and absolute joy to watch, especially as it was against a Wesley team. Why was he up against our guys in the technical area? Whitters should have whacked him. Minor whinge about the marking for the goal but decided we gave them that to make a game of it. Must be one of the easiest debuts for a keeper in Walsall history - did he have a shot to save in the second half? Some top class performances from everyone, but mentions to players that are coming good such as Purkiss and Holden. Baxendale was just awesome and others weren't far behind. Featherstone was excellent also, picking up play and always finding a red shirt.

Top day to be a saddler.

Perkwins

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Perkwins

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Top game today. Absolute joy to watch and worth every penny. This bunch of players are the best we have had in a long long time. Not only are they very young and gifted but they also work their socks off and must be one of the fittest teams in the league.

The joy of being a Saddlers fan is back!! It's been a long time since I could say that and at long last we have a set of players that seem proud to wear the shirt and are starting to build a real rapport with us fans!! Bring on the next game, I can't wait!!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Everyone's loving the Saddlers so much that even Mrs Florent Cuvelier has started tagging her posts #UTS. Nice
https://twitter.com/DominiqueHibel1/sta ... 4434594816

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Absolutely top class today. Went to Pompey last week but today was my first home game of the season.

I thought we were excellent last week but this week was even better! The passing, and pressing game when we are out of possession, is quality to watch. The work rate is great too - I almost expect the players to run out of energy at some point but they just keep going.

We just need to make sure we keep our form up against the poorer teams in the league that we'll be playing in the coming weeks.

Mid-table would be a nice relief after two seasons of anxiety, but maybe a promotion push is on the cards with possibly the help of one or two additions when required! :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Brilliant performance I thought baxendale outstanding a real threat. Well done
For signing him. Only weakness really is purkiss who seems to run like hes either been kicked in the
Goolies or has lead in his boots. Quality today. A stay away returns !!!!!!!

I disagree, Purkiss is great... he goes forward and can contibute well. after a slow first couple of games I really like his style xxx

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:25 pm

From the Preston forum

It's difficult to say Westley was wrong to change things - we were on the back foot before they scored, they were getting in a lot of decent positions and Simmonson had to make a few good saves (one of which was top drawer stuff), so something had to alter.

What I can safely say is that the changes made little/no difference - they continued to harass us into poor retnetion of the ball when we had it, then pass it around with ease when they had it.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Just think back and put today's scenario as in the days of Merson......we've lost our last match 3-1, and today we go one down after 10 minutes. I venture to suggest that heads would have dropped, not for a few minutes, but the remainder of the game. Dean Smith seems to have successfully infused a dose of the kind of attitude we saw under Ray Graydon - and if he has, more power to his elbow.

I was scheduled to go today, but domestic commitments intervened. Reports on today's game have increased the likelihood of having a day in Bournemouth next weekend.

UTS :mrgreen:

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Today was how the game should be played, reminiscent in some areas of how we were under Alan Buckley.

Some of the passing was a joy to behold, movement off the ball was the best I have seen for a considerable period of time.

My only criticism was the (lack of) marking for their goal, it seemed that everyone got drawn towards the winger leaving no-one marking in the centre. It would be churlish to dwell on that for long.

The equaliser from Baxendale was sublime, can't wait to see it again on TV. Bowerman looks like he will blossom into a very good striker, great run to force the penalty, then wouldn't let go of the ball he was so determined to take it. His second was a beautiful shot to find the bottom corner. If he isn't already we need him tied down with a long contract.

After the start to the season and the youth, confidence and self belief in the team this might just be our best season for some time.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 pm

It's all been said above. Absolutely delectable performance. Loved it!

Pre-season I couldn't get enthusiastic about our prospects, but I proudly stand corrected. Just like it's always the unplanned nights out that turn out to be the best, I'm hoping this season is going to be an unexpected success.

Early days of course, but so far so good :-)

UTS

SWS1

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:Today was how the game should be played, reminiscent in some areas of how we were under Alan Buckley.

Some of the passing was a joy to behold, movement off the ball was the best I have seen for a considerable period of time.

My only criticism was the (lack of) marking for their goal, it seemed that everyone got drawn towards the winger leaving no-one marking in the centre. It would be churlish to dwell on that for long.

The equaliser from Baxendale was sublime, can't wait to see it again on TV. Bowerman looks like he will blossom into a very good striker, great run to force the penalty, then wouldn't let go of the ball he was so determined to take it. His second was a beautiful shot to find the bottom corner. If he isn't already we need him tied down with a long contract.

After the start to the season and the youth, confidence and self belief in the team this might just be our best season for some time.

I've got a touch of the Oh be joyfuls... :D
Where/when do I see the highlights on TV, please?

SWS1

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 pm

BTW, is anyone else slightly concerned about the prospects of our skilful but lightweight team when the heavy grounds arrive????
:?:

Garbinho

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Absolutely stunning performance. Probably the best I've seen for at least 5 years. What is most pleasing for me is that although we haven't got anywhere near the same kind of budget of other teams in the league it seems like Smith has put together a capable side. What's even more pleasing is he's done it the right way and put together a group of young players that not only look like they've got the talent to play pretty football but they've got the desire to go out and win and put in the work to get a win. It's a far cry from the kind of players we've had for the past few years who are willing just to pick up a wage. Reminds me very much of the L2 winning side who were a close knit bunch full of quality. Anyway onto todays game:

I'll echo what everyone else said and say Preston were never really in it. It's unusual as a Walsall fan to see us go 1-0 down and not fear the worst. Today I didnt because they hadn't been in the game at all. It was good to see us keep our heads up and keep playing the way we want to play. Probably one of the main things about us this season is that we are imposing ourselves on the game as opposed to reacting to our opponents. It was obvious after 20 mins they were happy with a 1-0 when the ref had to tell Simonsen to hurry up with a goalkick! We kept at our game and kept carving chances and i think we could have equalised well before we actually did. When we did equalise, what a goal! Baxendale knew exactly where he wanted to put it and executed it perfectly! Havent seen much of him in the games I've been to but he looks a quality player, skilful and looks to help out at the back when he can. My M.O.M.

I wont go through all the players but another couple of things I noticed:

Cuvelier didnt stand out today and the positive part of me wants to think that this was because everyone else was playing at his level rather than him having a bad game because I dont think he did.
Purkiss looks a lot better than when I was at the first couple of games this season.
Darlow didnt have much to do but his kicking looks good
I honestly can't remember Featherstone giving the ball away!

Really enjoyed today, it had a feel of the good old days about it as I think the quality of the football is getting the crowd going again (I always think the players should get the crowd going as opposed to vice-versa, it's us that are paying to be entertained not paid to encourage them to do their job) and today they did that. We gave them a good reception at the end so I hope they appreciate that and it helps build their confidence!

I was sitting next to my future brother-in-law today who's a PNE fan so I'm glad I've got bragging rights and they didnt give him anything to cheer about. I dont mind paying £19 for a 'Category A' game if they play like that every week.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Probably the best performance I've seen from a Walsall side since the money era.

It was my first game of the season due to other committments, and the difference in style of play from last season is remarkable- we actually get it down and play football. We keep the ball and it makes such a difference. Last season, or the season before we'd have probably gone on and lost a game like this, but we stuck to our guns.

It was by no means a perfect performance - Preston weren't as good as I'd have expected, and we profited from a quick fire double which killed off the game very quickly.

The potential is there, but I don't think we've really faced a good side yet this season, but the start is impressive.

My comments would be as follows:

- for Prestons goal, it started with a weak 50:50 from Grigg and I think Holden got caught out of position, hence why he was unmarked. Holden got caught out of position a couple of times, so we should be mindful of that.
- Paterson, for all his trickery, is too wasteful with the ball, he gave it away far too often
- Grigg is holding the ball up well and doing some of the donkey work up front quite well, but he hasn't got the killer instinct that a striker needs. We put in several crosses today and he didn't get close to getting on the end of one. An Andy Ramell type would be ideal.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Probably the best performance I've seen from a Walsall side since the money era.

It was my first game of the season due to other committments, and the difference in style of play from last season is remarkable- we actually get it down and play football. We keep the ball and it makes such a difference. Last season, or the season before we'd have probably gone on and lost a game like this, but we stuck to our guns.

It was by no means a perfect performance - Preston weren't as good as I'd have expected, and we profited from a quick fire double which killed off the game very quickly.

The potential is there, but I don't think we've really faced a good side yet this season, but the start is impressive.

- for Prestons goal, it started with a weak 50:50 from Grigg and I think Holden got caught out of position, hence why he was unmarked. Holden got caught out of position a couple of times, so we should be mindful of that.
- Paterson, for all his trickery, is too wasteful with the ball, he gave it away far too often
- Grigg is holding the ball up well and doing some of the donkey work up front quite well, but he hasn't got the killer instinct that a striker needs. We put in several crosses today and he didn't get close to getting on the end of one. An Andy Ramell type would be ideal.

Good post but you honestly don't think we've played a good side as of yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but we've already played (and beat) MK Dons, Notts County and now Preston who all will more than likely be up there come April, you can quote me on that. By no means have we had an easy start, very tough in fact, shows how impressive we're doing when we haven't played a lesser opposition yet. Portsmouth the only one maybe.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Be careful Phil you might say something positive :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Probably the best performance I've seen from a Walsall side since the money era.

Good post but you honestly don't think we've played a good side as of yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but we've already played (and beat) MK Dons, Notts County and now Preston who all will more than likely be up there come April, you can quote me on that. By no means have we had an easy start, very tough in fact, shows how impressive we're doing when we haven't played a lesser opposition yet. Portsmouth the only one maybe.

Agreed.

Also, in reply to phil... I think Paterson is actually doing a more mature role this year. He'll join in attacks but isn't constantly trying silly things and tracks back loads. While a Rambo would also be nice, part of me thinks it would take something away from the passing/technique based offence we are trying to develop.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Patterson has come on leaps and bound this season and if he continues to improve will earn us a fat wedge at some point assuming we get him signed up on a long contract

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Would you say Preston looked a good side? I wouldn't, they looked average, but like I said, the kind of side we'd have lost to under Hutchings, or even last season. It's just that we are keeping the ball, which tires the opposition, frustrates them etc.

If you look at the stats, we're not actually that good in front of goal, not are we that tight at the back. Those kind of stats will come home to roost sooner rather than later - what if we have a bad run in front of goal? At Pompey and today, we have had 3 or 4 speculative efforts go in, which on another day might rattle the bar or post.

The table will start to settle down now, the early pace setters will either bomb on or bomb out, and equally, those fancied sides who have had a poor start will pull their socks up and start performing. If we're still in the top 7 in a months time then fair enough, but right now it's still early days

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 pm

PNE didn't look great but that's because we didn't let them. They got a lesson.

Early on, and it surprised me with a Westley team, they actually didn't lamp everything in sight, but after that it was all about us.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't rate teams on seeing them once, they'll be up there no doubt about it, while we probably won't, drift into mid-table but that'd be fine by me, we're a joy to watch at the moment so no-one's putting a downer on this!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Too right Darth (although surely it is a promotion charge now for us :D )

Loved every minute of the match and every swig of beer tonight.

UTS

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 am

Preston North End.... :|

[Chris Tarrant mode] - PNE, you were a dreary failure of a club that lost at Walsall......

dramatic pause

.......and you're still a dreary failure of a club that loses at Walsall! [/Chris Tarrant mode]

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 am

Darth Vader wrote:

I don't know if it was deliberate or not Darth, but you missed out Stevenage, a very good side from your list. Not a flash in the pan, they were unlucky to lose to Sheffield U in the playoffs last season and look to be pushing on this season. No doubt in my mind tat they will be in the top 7 or 8 come April. We competed very well on Tuesday even though we lost the game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 am

It's quite simple, Preston were as good as we let them be.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 am

Said this week that wod have to miss the second half but it sounded even better than the first which I was happy with before I left . Rest assured I was punching the air as the goals flew in !!! And had a real chuckle as drove past the Preston turning !! Great footy from young enthusiastic players who our doing our club proud .
Stay aways please please please get down the Bezzla , if you dont like what you see then your not football fans. The extra income could just make the difference in January to nick a good player that keeps us in the hunt for a play off spot . Yes I've decided we should be aiming for that after what we are seeing do far.
Up the Saddlers :D

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 am

Can't say much more than what has already been said - big save from Darlow when one down when he tipped an effort over - doubt we'd have come back from two down despite the football we were playing.

100% team effort - every man gave their all and played for the shirt. When you see Paterson getting back in the corners and tackling, it shows the teamwork ethic that can be lacking at times. I struggled to select a man of the match as the team played well.

Nice to be walking out of Bescot with a smile and a bit of Stone Roses!

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season