Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: P.N.E (h) - League 1 - 22/09/12

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 am

Walsall were absolutely brilliant yesterday, best i have seen for a long time, passing and movement and the use of the football brain were fantastic

I can honestly say i felt actually stunned by how good they were, i really really did not expect a performance like that

3 small words sum it for me

Walsall are back - and thank you Deano for bringing it back to us

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 am

i'm amazed that anybody could critisise Prukiss.I thought he was fantastic yesterday.

Best all round team performance for years.PNE were shell shocked!

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:31 am

Darth Vader wrote:Good post but you honestly don't think we've played a good side as of yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but we've already played (and beat) MK Dons, Notts County and now Preston who all will more than likely be up there come April, you can quote me on that. By no means have we had an easy start, very tough in fact, shows how impressive we're doing when we haven't played a lesser opposition yet. Portsmouth the only one maybe.

Brentford and Doncaster won't be a million miles away, either. Early days, but we have already beaten two of the current top six (Notts County and MK Dons), whilst Preston were fifth before yesterday...

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 am

TheSaddlers wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Good post but you honestly don't think we've played a good side as of yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but we've already played (and beat) MK Dons, Notts County and now Preston who all will more than likely be up there come April, you can quote me on that. By no means have we had an easy start, very tough in fact, shows how impressive we're doing when we haven't played a lesser opposition yet. Portsmouth the only one maybe.

Brentford and Doncaster won't be a million miles away, either. Early days, but we have already beaten two of the current top six (Notts County and MK Dons), whilst Preston were fifth before yesterday...

all poor teams teams you know :lol: .

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:03 am

:D good to get the cack out the way before we play the likes of Orient, Bury...Shrewsbury ;)

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am

Wow, what a performance that was. I am still buzzing from the feast of football we played yesterday and totally dominated PNE - I agree with the comment that PNE aren't necessarily a bad team, we just didn't give them the chance to show us! I honestly cannot remember a match where we have played such utterly brilliant football throughout the entire game since the 4-1 drubbing of the Baggies in 2003.

Lots of things impressed me and in no particular order:

BAXENDALE - if Bowerman hadn't scored 2 goals (and played so well) Bax would have been MOTM - he was MOTM and thoroughly deserved his standing ovation - a pocket rocket moving, running with the ball, always been there and available and making things happen. Best controller of a football since we had Samways. I only saw him play on the opening day against Donny Rovers and thought he looked lightweight (not just his frame) but this young lad looks superb. Put Flo in the shade!

Unfair maybe to single player out as that really was a marvellous TEAM effort but Baxendale was sublime.

NOT SITTING BACK ON A LEAD - when were 2 and then 3 goals up we still kept going at them, beautifully passing the ball, attacking, creating chances and not sitting back. Not seen a Walsall side do that in years as at some point, when in the lead, we usually sit back and end up defending our box for at least a spell of the game - never happened yesterday as we took it to them - be interested to know what % of the match PNE played in our half.

PURKISS AND TAYLOR - great performance from Purkiss, especially first half - gets forward well, looks solid, good throw-ins, good crosses and Taylor is the kind of player that looks "Mr Dependable" and the full backs look a great pairing with Butler and Holden as a defence that's looking the part now.

PASS AND MOVE (forgive the Alan Hansen phrase) - we were so comfortable with the ball, keeping it, pinging it around intelligently and very rarely giving it away. When PNE did get the ball, we were right onto them to get it back - totally satisfying as a fan to watch that effort. And the movement of all the team was a joy from start to end. I noticed at throw-ins that there would be at least 2 players doing mazey runs wanting the ball, getting away from defenders and looking bright and energetic.

FITNESS AND CONFIDENCE - 90 minutes of running and can't remember a minute of the game where we eased off or looked static. The fitness levels must be high (or possibly it's because the team is mostly very young).

TEAM PERFORMANCE - that really looked like a full team on top of its game - excuse the pun - and full of confidence but not arrogance. They looked in total control, knew what they were doing and had the skill levels and abilities across the whole team to do it. Everyone kept it simple, neat and tidy and Paterson, who gets some stick for giving the ball away didn't do that against PNE - he looked every part a neat team player.

Now then, the call must surely go out to get backsides on seats - if we continue to play football this way, you will get your money's worth of quality entertainment. I feel I got the full value of my season ticket watching yesterday's match alone!!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 am

I've been critical of Paterson's decision making, but that was his best all round performance that I've seen

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:15 pm

BBC website "facts" on the game says we had 54% possession - they're having a laugh aren't they? If PNE had the ball for more than 25% of the match I would be shocked.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Super Gabor wrote:BBC website "facts" on the game says we had 54% possession - they're having a laugh aren't they? If PNE had the ball for more than 25% of the match I would be shocked.

No, you might be surprised. However, what we did was ensure the possession they did have was in their third.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Baxendale was brilliant. Absolutely sublime footballer. Calm, composed, energy, excellent passer

Just a thought. The chambers twins. Would they get back into that side????

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 pm

TheSaddlers wrote:

Yep. I was solely on about the teams we beat but that shows again the quality of sides we've already faced.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Baxendale was brilliant. Absolutely sublime footballer. Calm, composed, energy, excellent passer

Just a thought. The chambers twins. Would they get back into that side????

Probably not but isn't that a good position for us to be in. They were sat behind me and seemed to be enjoying the match as much as me!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 pm

First home game of the season I've missed. Gutted I was away for the weekend. Delighted with the result, and with the match reports.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Have I been beamed down to a parallel world after my day at Catterick?
Not one discenting word from over five pages of praise!
After reading these reports I am over the moon that at last we have a team to be trully proud of...it appears we actually took the game to them...how long have I prayed for such a day!
Totally proud to be a Saddler, I so WANT to see the new lads in action but utterly comitted until the Tuesday night match at Bramhall Lane. Come on me babbies keep up the good work...and many thanks to all the contributors on here for such good and informed reports, we exiles certainly appreciate your input.

UTS....

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:51 am

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Been watching Baxi's goal over and over.

Sumptious finish!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:47 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Been watching Baxi's goal over and over.

Sumptious finish!

Lovely word, sumptious!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Sumptious finish!

Lovely word, sumptious!

I prefer sumptuous myself :mrgreen:

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 am

aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Sumptious finish!

Lovely word, sumptious!

I prefer sumptuous myself :mrgreen:

i bet you do :oops:

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

Echo all the positive comments everyone has put about the game, absolutely faultless display from the lads. The thing that is also pleasing in comparison to last season is our superb discipline record! this is certainly going to be a boost, especially with our thin squad! UTS! x

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season