Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage Away - 18th September 2012 - League One

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: Stevenage Away - 18th September 2012 - League One

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 am

KoloSaddler wrote:Cheesebag, Walsall FC does not need fans like these. I can guess who these idiots are as well ..... there the ones that no nothing about football.

Support the players who wear your club colours and as Cheesebag has said you sound like Wolves fans ..... Well if that's the case **** off there then.

I agree, i'm not Grigg's biggest fan, far from it, but when he was booed on i stood there shaking my head.You don't boo your own players, well not when they come on as sub anyway.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 am

fatboyslim wrote:Ancient Moaner and ihatethecorps actually went to an away game??!! :wink:

Will always do my best, but will cost me the best part of £60 just in petrol alone to get to a home match!! OK if you were born with a silver spoon in your gob. but not when you are a piss poor. my next will be Bramhall Lane on a Tuesday night straight from work...see you there? I have a hospital bed booked for when you kick my teeth in! :D

Stevenage game was a defeat waiting to happen..we can know move on, beat Preston on Saturday and build the confidence back up.

Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

UTS!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

You're doing well to recover from a hamstring injury in less than a month, to be honest. The fact that he's had a setbacksince he picked up the injury on the opening day explains why we haven't seen him since.

On that note, is it just me, or do a surprising number of people seem to be of the opinion that Brandy is going to be some sort of revelation? I can't see where he fits into the side, to be honest.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

You're doing well to recover from a hamstring injury in less than a month, to be honest. The fact that he's had a setbacksince he picked up the injury on the opening day explains why we haven't seen him since.

On that note, is it just me, or do a surprising number of people seem to be of the opinion that Brandy is going to be some sort of revelation? I can't see where he fits into the side, to be honest.

He'd be in place of Hemmings or Paterson - neither of which is likely to happen at the moment, although Paterson is still wasting too much possession.

larryhaggler

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 am

Summing up is genrally correct.
We were sloppy, gave away possesion to much to a very high tempo side who play on the front foot and attack with pace.
Still think we need a target man to play alongside Bowerman, he works hard on his own up front but the ball keeps coming back at us.
Changed our shape when Grigg came on and whilst I heard a few comments, I did not hear any booing.
We looked more dangerous when we changed our shape.
Not to disheartend as I think Stevenage will be up there this season.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Ancient Moaner and ihatethecorps actually went to an away game??!! :wink:

Will always do my best, but will cost me the best part of £60 just in petrol alone to get to a home match!! OK if you were born with a silver spoon in your gob. but not when you are a pee poor. my next will be Bramhall Lane on a Tuesday night straight from work...see you there? I have a hospital bed booked for when you kick my teeth in! :D

Stevenage game was a defeat waiting to happen..we can know move on, beat Preston on Saturday and build the confidence back up.

Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

UTS!!

I take it this was a similarly jokey comment as mine was?! Not sure I have come across as threatening in any of my posts to you. Just find is strange how you consistently slag off a player when you don't watch any of the games even when he comes on as a sub in a game which we are behind in? Criticism is fine but your opinion is worthless if you haven't watched the match in my opinion - hence why I haven't commented on the performance.

I enjoy Bramall Lane away so yes I will be there. Will keep myself to myself though as usual. Making games either home or away has nothing to do with having been 'born with a silver spoon in your gob' - there are plenty of people who live for football home and away despite not having a lot of money (I am not putting myself in that bracket by the way!).

Stevenage was always going to be tough, especially now that they have combined their physicality with some proper football as opposed to the hoofball under Westley. Decent start to the season from us - as long as we can continue to play as we have and remain confident then hoping for a decent seaosn (happy with mid-table) and not another nervy relegation battle! :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

You're doing well to recover from a hamstring injury in less than a month, to be honest. The fact that he's had a setback since he picked up the injury on the opening day explains why we haven't seen him since.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 am

Overall happy with ther performance, disapointed with result

Postives

Featherstone had a very good game, Butler and Holden were solid and Flo (although we need to get him involved more) was his usual assured self and a nice cameo from Taundry who played a few nice forward balls that got the strikers in behind the Stevenge defence

Negatives

Grof was beaten over his head twice again - should of definatly saved the 2nd goal, (was he off his line? - couldn't tell from where i was) but should of been a simple tap over the bar from that distance

Patterson - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Wastefull - for every pass that he makes he loses the ball 5 x over. Gave the ball awy for the 3rd goal.

Hemmings - never had a kick

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

We are bound to be a bit inconsistent with a team of kids. Agree with Pedagogue that 3-1 flattered then a bit. We tried to get passing game going in the second half and when we scored I thought we could go on and win. We need more threat up front and if we play Bowerman on his own up there then we need to get more support up to him. He is running his socks off but needs help from midfielders.

Stevenage fan in the Weatherspoons called us a tin pot club with tinpot fans, got his Stervenage season ticket out and waved it at us and then said he used to support Luton.... and Arsenal. We would have felt quite insulted by the tinpot comment but we were too busy picking our sides up off the floor :D

And indeed the idiots who booed Grigg when he came on, please go and support Stevenage or Luton or Arsenal

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
Stevenage fan in the Weatherspoons called us a tin pot club with tinpot fans.

Is this the same Stevenage FC that were formed in 1976 and dropped the "Borough" from their name two years ago because it made them sound "too non-league"?

*Snigger*

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 am

bangsection wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
Stevenage fan in the Weatherspoons called us a tin pot club with tinpot fans.

Is this the same Stevenage FC that were formed in 1976 and dropped the "Borough" from their name two years ago because it made them sound "too non-league"?

*Snigger*

Yes (snigger)

The absurdity of the first comment paled into insignificance with his subsequent clarification of previous clubs he had 'supported' though :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
KoloSaddler wrote:Cheesebag, Walsall FC does not need fans like these. I can guess who these idiots are as well ..... there the ones that no nothing about football.

Support the players who wear your club colours and as Cheesebag has said you sound like Wolves fans ..... Well if that's the case **** off there then.

I agree, i'm not Grigg's biggest fan, far from it, but when he was booed on i stood there shaking my head.You don't boo your own players, well not when they come on as sub anyway.

Also agree, you know better than anyone what I think of Grigg but you will never hear me boo him. Boo'd the 'team' many times after a poor performance but not an individual. He's still rubbish though :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Stevenage fan in the Weatherspoons called us a tin pot club with tinpot fans, got his Stervenage season ticket out and waved it at us and then said he used to support Luton.... and Arsenal. We would have felt quite insulted by the tinpot comment but we were too busy picking our sides up off the floor :D

First thing's first - don't go to a Wetherspoons and expect anything resembling intelligent conversation. :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

Also agree, you know better than anyone what I think of Grigg but you will never hear me boo him. Boo'd the 'team' many times after a poor performance but not an individual. He's still rubbish though :wink:

I've only ever booed the ref or opposition. My view is the players know better than us if they've had a stinker, so what's the point?

A footnote - how much did the standing area along the side of the pitch improve the atmosphere, consideing there were less than 3000 there they made a good noise. Bring back (safe) standing areas!!

PS - Grigg will come good.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Stevenage fan in the Weatherspoons called us a tin pot club with tinpot fans, got his Stervenage season ticket out and waved it at us and then said he used to support Luton.... and Arsenal. We would have felt quite insulted by the tinpot comment but we were too busy picking our sides up off the floor :D

First thing's first - don't go to a Wetherspoons and expect anything resembling intelligent conversation. :D

I had no intention of even attempting to have anything resembling an intelligent conversation, I was with Blazing for a start :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah that side terrace at Stevenage is great! Shame their supporters think they're the Curva Nord of England.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 pm

A word of balance on Paterson - he was very good against Portsmouth and used the ball sensibly throughout. Wingers are going to be inconsistent - he's showed he's talented enough to deserve some patience from the fans. Also set up the goal, which shouldn't go unnoticed.

That said, decision-making is the most important mental ability in football. It's what sets geniuses like Messi apart from second-rate cloggers like Ronaldo.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 pm

I totally agree with Registered I cannot believe some of the criticism Patterson gets. Yes his decision making does need to improve but he is a young kid with bags of potential. If he was the finished article he wouldn't be playing for us. He is the sort of player who can create excitement with his runs and some of the goals he has scored have been worth the entrance money on their own.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:A word of balance on Paterson - he was very good against Portsmouth and used the ball sensibly throughout. Wingers are going to be inconsistent - he's showed he's talented enough to deserve some patience from the fans. Also set up the goal, which shouldn't go unnoticed.

That said, decision-making is the most important mental ability in football. It's what sets geniuses like Messi apart from second-rate cloggers like Ronaldo.

Good feet, knows how to pass just not when, can dribble and can shoot. He will come good, ive no doubt. He also had a really good game tracking back and filling in at full back against MK Dons. Its all improvement.

Ps. Ronaldo is the better player. :wink:

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I didn't even mind the drummer for once! A fairly rubbish picture of the terrace for you..with added Mick

Last edited by aaaae on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Yeah that side terrace at Stevenage is great! Shame their supporters think they're the Curva Nord of England.

I hate to say it but i think we've copied some of their songs.On Saturday when we sung "is there a fire drill" to the Pompey fans walking out, i thought it was original and dreamt up by us, but no.They sung it to us last night when some of our fans left.And the song "what the effing hell is that" when the Pompey player missed, they also sang that when we missed.Please please please don't copy the Stevenage fans on songs.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:A word of balance on Paterson - he was very good against Portsmouth and used the ball sensibly throughout. Wingers are going to be inconsistent - he's showed he's talented enough to deserve some patience from the fans. Also set up the goal, which shouldn't go unnoticed.

Set up what goal? The one from last night? I thought it was a cracking ball off Purkiss.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Though the result was disappointing, I felt that there was a great deal of encouragement to be taken from the performance. Thought some of our football was excellent, ( certainly compared to last season) but was also quite impressed with Stevenage who were able to attack with pace.I did think after we equalised that we looked the likelier to score, but 3-1 definitely flattered them.Not sure whether Grof should have saved their second as it did look a cracking shot.
Glad the floodlights were on when walking from the station as I think it would have been hard to find the ground otherwise.
Agree with the comments about their terrace, pity there wasn't one at our end... or even better at home.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Yeah that side terrace at Stevenage is great! Shame their supporters think they're the Curva Nord of England.

I hate to say it but i think we've copied some of their songs.On Saturday when we sung "is there a fire drill" to the Pompey fans walking out, i thought it was original and dreamt up by us, but no.They sung it to us last night when some of our fans left.And the song "what the effing hell is that" when the Pompey player missed, they also sang that when we missed.Please please please don't copy the Stevenage fans on songs.

They're both global chants that have been going for years.

No yellow ribbon from them though. :wink:

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Set up what goal? The one from last night? I thought it was a cracking ball off Purkiss.

Nah, was Patterson that put the ball in for Bowerman's goal

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Had time to reflect and also read some of the comments above, so the rest of my two penneth is as follows;

We played a good, very fit side last night that got after us from the start with quick hard tackling and lots of nudging us off the ball. I was disappointed with the ref for not intervening a bit more in the first twenty minutes. I can only assume that he didn't bring his cards as how their number 7 wasnt booked for any number of offences (including a nasty challenge on Cuvalier in stoppage time), I have no idea.

Despite this, I thought that we played some nice stuff and competed well for the most part, with the exception of Hemmings who was anonymous for most of the night.

What worried me was the amount of time that we gave their players to get set for a shot. There were a couple of warning signs before the first goal, which from my position did not look like Grof's fault at all. Have to agree though that the second should have been tipped over, and that he made a couple of very good saves.

Whatever Smiths shortcomings as a manager, getting his team playing for him is not one of them. Apart from Hemmings they all put in a nights work and when we equalised it was plain to see how much this bunch care.

Couple of other points. Would swap our tin shed for theirs any day and the atmosphere in their "end" puts our lot to shame. I had a sing behind the goal for the first 10-15 minutes but moved when the racist "banter" started, mainly aimed at Agyemang. Sorry lads, but can't be doing with it in 2012.

In summary, we probably won't play many better sides this season so still plenty to be happy about.

UTS

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Would swap our tin shed for theirs any day and the atmosphere in their "end" puts our lot to shame.

When's safe standing coming back? :-(

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm

bangsection wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Would swap our tin shed for theirs any day and the atmosphere in their "end" puts our lot to shame.

If only.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

If only.

I'd be willing to bet that not a single MP has ever stood and sung on a terrace at a footie match.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:21 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:I'd be willing to bet that not a single MP has ever stood and sung on a terrace at a footie match.

To be fair, Andy Burnham almost certainly has. Not only is he a mossiv Everton fan, he also wrote a few articles for When Saturday Comes before he became an MP.

And Michael Foot was equally bonkers about Plymouth - he actually managed to get his neighbours to change the name of their London Street to Pilgrim's Lane!

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season