Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage Away - 18th September 2012 - League One

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
SWS1

Re: Stevenage Away - 18th September 2012 - League One

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:A word of balance on Paterson - he was very good against Portsmouth and used the ball sensibly throughout. Wingers are going to be inconsistent - he's showed he's talented enough to deserve some patience from the fans. Also set up the goal, which shouldn't go unnoticed.

That said, decision-making is the most important mental ability in football. It's what sets geniuses like Messi apart from second-rate cloggers like Ronaldo.

Good feet, knows how to pass just not when, can dribble and can shoot. He will come good, ive no doubt. He also had a really good game tracking back and filling in at full back against MK Dons. Its all improvement.

Ps. Ronaldo is the better player. :wink:

Yes, he is better than Patterson at the moment - but give it time... :wink:

SWS1

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:27 pm

bangsection wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:I'd be willing to bet that not a single MP has ever stood and sung on a terrace at a footie match.

To be fair, Andy Burnham almost certainly has. Not only is he a mossiv Everton fan, he also wrote a few articles for When Saturday Comes before he became an MP.

And Michael Foot was equally bonkers about Plymouth - he actually managed to get his neighbours to change the name of their London Street to Pilgrim's Lane!

Yes, he persuaded them to change it from Idiots' Alley :lol:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm

bangsection wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:I'd be willing to bet that not a single MP has ever stood and sung on a terrace at a footie match.

To be fair, Andy Burnham almost certainly has. Not only is he a mossiv Everton fan, he also wrote a few articles for When Saturday Comes before he became an MP.

And Michael Foot was equally bonkers about Plymouth - he actually managed to get his neighbours to change the name of their London Street to Pilgrim's Lane!

I'm pretty sure Michael Foot is dead, but then I don't suppose that would disqualify him from sitting on the back benches.

Burnham possibly, being brought up near Warrington and then off to Cambridge, I'd still have him down as an armchair fan / main stand kind of fan :wink:

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

You're doing well to recover from a hamstring injury in less than a month, to be honest. The fact that he's had a setbacksince he picked up the injury on the opening day explains why we haven't seen him since.

On that note, is it just me, or do a surprising number of people seem to be of the opinion that Brandy is going to be some sort of revelation? I can't see where he fits into the side, to be honest.

I'm sure Brandy picked up the injury at Telford. He was limping up the steps of the stand to watch the second half with an icepack on his leg.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Incidentally when will we ever see Brandy in a red shirt again? must be one hell of an injury.......

You're doing well to recover from a hamstring injury in less than a month, to be honest. The fact that he's had a setbacksince he picked up the injury on the opening day explains why we haven't seen him since.

On that note, is it just me, or do a surprising number of people seem to be of the opinion that Brandy is going to be some sort of revelation? I can't see where he fits into the side, to be honest.

I'm sure Brandy picked up the injury at Telford. He was limping up the steps of the stand to watch the second half with an icepack on his leg.

He definitely did it on the opening day when he came on as a sub. Went on one run and got caught a little and must have overstretched and his hamstring went. He then subsequently did it again a couple of games ago on his return. Often the case with players who have great acceleration and probably down to a lack of stretching/warm-up.

He did take a knock against Telford but don't think it was his hamstring - more likely when he got hacked over by one of their centre-backs.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Don't take my knocking of Paterson as some kind of Richards/Grigg/Wright hatred.

His decision making was just bad last night.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:01 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:I'm pretty sure Michael Foot is dead, but then I don't suppose that would disqualify him from sitting on the back

The bet was that no MP had EVER stood on a football terrace and sung. With Burnham and Foot I've covered both current and former MPs. So basically you owe me £50.

Also, in David Dutton's biography of Sir Alec Douglas-Home, he speaks to several members of the ICF who confirmed that the former Tory PM and establishment grandee was an active member of the feared West Ham 'firm' right up until his death in 1995 at the age of 92.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm

SWS1 wrote:
bangsection wrote:

But Burnham is a cock of the biggest variety. I should know, the barclays is my local MP :evil:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Don't take my knocking of Paterson as some kind of Richards/Grigg/Wright hatred.

Not at all, I'm sure you're right. But I didn't want anyone reading this thread to only get half the story, if they hadn't been there on Saturday at Pompey. Wingers are always inconsistent - you caught him on a bad day, I caught him on a good day. There are plenty of less intelligent Walsall fans who I'm sure would seize on his every mistake, given half a chance. We've seen them do it with Fryatt, Roper, Butler, Wright, etc etc. I don't want to give them any more ammunition.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:But Burnham is a cock of the biggest variety. I should know, the barclays is my local MP :evil:

Nothing at all to do with your extreme right-wing views and him being a Labour MP, then? :D

Burnham was a leading light in the early years of the national football supporters body, Supporters Direct. He has always been a big fan of football below the greedy-pigs Premier League.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm

bangsection wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:I'm pretty sure Michael Foot is dead, but then I don't suppose that would disqualify him from sitting on the back

The bet was that no MP had EVER stood on a football terrace and sung. With Burnham and Foot I've covered both current and former MPs. So basically you owe me £50.

Also, in David Dutton's biography of Sir Alec Douglas-Home, he speaks to several members of the ICF who confirmed that the former Tory PM and establishment grandee was an active member of the feared West Ham 'firm' right up until his death in 1995 at the age of 92.

:lol:

I stand corrected. My bet was for the honour and the glory of UTS, which I hereby bestow upon thy mighty cranial edifice. Amen.
Last edited by aaaae on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh and Stevenage serve chips, I thought that was illegal these days?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:Oh and Stevenage serve chips, I thought that was illegal these days?

Yes but did you taste them? :shock:

Think they were made with some sort of potato substitute :?

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:Oh and Stevenage serve chips, I thought that was illegal these days?

Nope, they looked rank. I filled my boots in Burger King before the game.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

A wise move :D

I only sampled 1 chip off my mate, unfortunatly I had a hotdog which was also made of hot dog substitute :shock:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

I only sampled 1 chip off my mate, unfortunatly I had a hotdog which was also made of hot dog substitute :shock:

Sample of chips prior to kick-off were classified as Acceptable.
Plate of chips purchased at half-time were classified as Cold, Disgusting, and possessing no redeeming chip qualities whatsoever.
Visual examination of hotdog resulted in a classification of Scary.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 am

aaaæ™ wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Burger King chips are disgusting enough themselves, God help the Stevenage chips if they were worse than BK's.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

bangsection wrote:

Seen Bruce George on ours as well, although he was normally in the OAP stand

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Don't take my knocking of Paterson as some kind of Richards/Grigg/Wright hatred.

Agree completely. He is inconsistent as befits a youngster, which is why they benefit from being rested every nw and again. Trouble is, Smith gets ridiculous criticism when he hooks him off, or if he left him out. People need to get real. He will get better, but his decision making is poor on the whole.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 am

saddlerJP wrote:
Set up what goal? The one from last night? I thought it was a cracking ball off Purkiss.

Nah, was Patterson that put the ball in for Bowerman's goal

We were sure it was Purkiss at the time but no, it definitely was Paterson :oops: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 35,00.html

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
bangsection wrote:

Seen Bruce George on ours as well, although he was normally in the OAP stand

OAP stand, but also only turned up when it was a big game, bloody glory hunter. He's from Cardiff though isn't he? So probably more interested in odd shaped balls.

Anyone spotted Valerie Vaz at the Bonks's?

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 pm

For Micheal Foot's 90th birthday he was registered by Plymouth as an official player and given the shirt number 90. He is officially the oldest ever registered professional footballer.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm

i had one a chip off someone at the game, deary me they were hard in the middle orrible they wor.

but as for the burger it was so nice i had it twice, with a bucket load of onions.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Thrashed 3-1 by lowly Stevenage and this is the shortest match thread for the season? Where's all the doom and gloomer stayaways gone? :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am

Exile wrote:Thrashed 3-1 by lowly Stevenage and this is the shortest match thread for the season? Where's all the doom and gloomer stayaways gone? :D

Maybe they were poisoned by the chips?

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

Always going to be a tough game Stevevage are unbeaten to date and a good home side , what's important is we bounce back and beat the mighty Preston :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

The two gargoyles serving the food were enough to put me off buying anything.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:05 am

:lol:

SWS1

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am

aaaæ™ wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Very unwise. Boots full of chips hampers walking and produces a weird type of mashed potato (with toe cheese). Urggh. :shock:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season