Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Portsmouth (a) - 15/09/12 - League 1

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Garbinho

Re: Portsmouth (a) - 15/09/12 - League 1

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Smith OUT

..on the town to celebrate another fantastic win!

UTS!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Very impressive UTS

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 pm

just got back from a lovely day out.
was lovely to see walsall step up once again and firmly put the pompey in their place!
was fantastic from the goalkeeper right up to the striker.

i really see this team progressing since start of season and is actually a pleasure to see this brand of football.
we do seem to lose concentration but again we held on and could have extended our lead.
a fantastic strike from the baxman today worthy of any goal of the season and really got the second half off to a nice start.
lovely play from hemmings to ride a tackle and put the ball on the foot of flo who slotted in low from edge of box.
the referee was atrocious today im sure he had pompey in an accumulator but not even the man in the middle could spoil what was a cracking day out today despite giving home side countless fouls and when there man 2 footed our man(forgot who it was) he never even spoke to him and could have been a straight red any other day.

very pleaseing start to the season and already a fifth of the way to safety with 40 games to go.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:16 pm

boringteacher wrote:LIDL BOYS NANANA

That made me laugh!

What a cracking result today. Well done Deano and the lads. :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Well done Deano and the lads.

Doing us proud.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 pm

It's almost like being there...

http://wlive.7m.cn/live/en/782640.shtml

(Click the play button)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Not long got back in, ace day in the end and an ace win. Top bunch of players these lot, deserve much better support.

I ain't gonna lie either, Portsmouth fans were absolute top class all the way through, outsung us with ease, never seen such a consistently loud home support, don't like em one bit but they were brilliant. If our home support was half of that I'd be loving it. Good home end helps though, proper stand behind the goal.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:13 am

We won, I drunk beer, Belg drank more. the end.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34 am

Holbeach Saddler wrote:Let's not get carried away. Look at the table. We've only played one team that is above us. :D

But we have played and beat 3 teams (MK, NOTTS COUNTY and POMPEY) who you would have put money on to be above us by now.

The reason that only one team is above us is because we have beaten them............. :shock:
Just when you think the average UTS'er could not get more thick.............along comes another one :lol:
He will fit in well here... :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:36 am

PINNACLE wrote:
Holbeach Saddler wrote:Let's not get carried away. Look at the table. We've only played one team that is above us. :D

But we have played and beat 3 teams (MK, NOTTS COUNTY and POMPEY) who you would have put money on to be above us by now.

The reason that only one team is above us is because we have beaten them............. :shock:
Just when you think the average UTS'er could not get more thick.............along comes another one :lol:

Even after a couple of gallons of cider, I can tell he was being sarcastic....

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 am

Just woken up to this down under. Where the hell did this come from? Fifth? Typical, I leave the country and the team turn into something worth watching. Absolutely fantastic BTW.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 am

Football SEX !

walsallfcconnor
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 am

..im getting a nose bleed.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 am

Fantastic away win with 2 stunning strikes.

A really great day out sitting with Pompey friends.

The only downside was our really poor support. I told the pompey guys we would probably bring around 500 but in reality there were only about 300 Saddlers. In league 2 a few years back we averaged 800 away fans over the season.To an extent I can understand the stayaways at home games but what's the excuse at big away games like Pompey.

They may be in crisis but what magnificent fans Pompey have, If we made a quarter of that noise at home games it would make games alot more enjoyable. It makes you realise how desparate the Bescot library really is...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 am

Day started badly and went uphill from there :D

Fantastic day. Passed and played them off the park at times, rode our luck at others. How good is Flo :shock: :shock: :shock:

This team are a pleasure to support.

Good to meet Darth Vader, what a girl :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 am

Myth debunk time #1: "Pompey dominated for long periods". No they didn't, they rarely threatened. There was a 20-minute spell in the first half when we struggled but apart from that I was not worried. In the first half it was equal stevens in terms of clear-cut chances created, Williamson putting a free header wide from a corner, and Paterson's close-range shot well saved by their keeper. At the end, there was only one moment of danger when McLeod had a free header from about 8 yards, but he mistimed his jump and put it well over.

Myth debunk time #2: "It was a foul for the first goal". OK, maybe it could have been a free-kick for the incident on the touchline, but if it was then we should have had two penalties in the first half when Bowerman was similarly barged over when he was trying to break into the penalty area. If one was a foul then they all were.

Lovely to watch us play today, real team spirit and endeavour, and a couple of delightful little goals. Shame it couldn't have been rounded off with Paterson's thumping drive which rattled the post at the end. Having said that, there's still stuff to be worked on. We are very lightweight and their goal came from some weak challenges on the edge of the box instead of just getting the ball clear; it wasn't the only time that happened. Chambers will make a difference when he comes back, although then you have the difficulty of disrupting the Featherstone/Cuvelier pairing in midfield. Bowerman was excellent and really made himself a nuisance but we are reluctant to put the ball into the box from out wide because it will just be giving the ball away. We haven't scored from a header yet this season and without a bit more presence up front, I don't know how that will change. Our passing football is pleasing on the eye but it's hard to maintain for 50+ games throughout the season without falling back on a second option. I was pleased to hear that Smith commented on us winning the ball further up the pitch in the second half - that is absolutely critical in this formation, otherwise you end up with 7-8 players lining up on the edge of your own area, which is what happened during the first half. The only other player I'm going to single out is Purkiss: are our fans still going to pick him out as being not good enough? Only got beaten once today, otherwise he stopped all the crosses coming in from his side, won headers and supported the attack. About time some of our fans (not the ones who travelled today, the ones who like to fire criticism from the comfort of UTS) swallowed humble pie and accept they were too quick to write him off.

Nice comments from Leroy Rosenior on the FL Show too; although, I'd rather we continued to fly under the radar and our fab young players weren't being talked up on national television.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:43 am

Anybody who went yesterday going to do a synopsis on each players performance? I always find them interesting and informative.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 am

PINNACLE wrote:

WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks to those who spotted my whoosh :)
My dig was at those who would have us in the botton 4 by now.
Still time for it to go bottom up but that win was close to a "Stoke City" moment for me. I'm starting to believe :mrgreen:

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Anybody who went yesterday going to do a synopsis on each players performance? I always find them interesting and informative.

Grof - 7. Fantatstic save early in the 2nd half which stopped us going behind. Still doesn't inspire as much confidence for me as Wacka does, but generally good.
Purkiss - 6. Didn't play badly, but if Portsmouth were going to score an equaliser it was going to come from our right (as did their first goal). Also is it me or does he look as if he is injured when he walks?
Butler - 8 Usually Solid performance without any of the sloppy passes he sometimes produces
Holden - 7. Needed Butler to cover for him a couple of times but did the simple things well.
Taylor - 7 . Solid. Can't recall any errors.
Featherstone - 8 . I really like this guy. So good at keeping possession. Allows Flo and Paterson to do their thing.
Hemmings - 6 - A mixed bag for me today. Attacks seemed to break down with him and his shooting was poor. Did set up the first goal and generally provide an outlet though.
Flo - 8 Our most creative player, cracking goal too.
Paterson - 7 . Should have done better with the chances he had in the first half especially in the very first minute. But that shot at the end deserved to go in and would have been a goal of the season contender.
Baxendale - 7 Brilliant goal and linked the play up well,
Bowerman - 7. Held the ball up really well. Looked much more experienced than he is. Didn't get any favours from the ref either.

Subs
Grigg - 5 - Didnt do much
Taundry 10 - He's one of our own you know.

For me A genuinely good team performance rather than one or two outstanding individual performances.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:16 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:26 am

First half I thought we struggled a bit, was under a lot of pressure, but in the main we dealt with it all quite well. We play very narrow when we don't have the ball, which I think will work well the majority of the time, which it did yesterday. They did overload us down the right often, was fortunate that their wide players were very wasteful. We weren't quick enough on the counter attack first half, when we had the chance to break, it was all a bit to slow tempo, and Hemmings had a poorish game, helped a few of our counters break down. We did however create the best two chances of the half, one of which really should have hit the back of the net, think it was Paterson.

Start of the second half, much better tempo, and we got two goals which we thoroughly deserved. Grof made a double save that reminded me of Walker in his hay day, fantastic stuff. All in all no one could deny us the victory. Looked solid for the most part, and created much better chances. Paterson's shot would have been goal of the season had it gone in rather than hitting the bar/post. Really chuffed, we look like a decent side, although looking at our bench, we will need to remain injury free, in particular cuvelier, who is up there with the David Preece, Martin O'Conner's as a Walsall midfielder, he really is that good.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 am

belgiansaddler wrote:First half I thought we struggled a bit, was under a lot of pressure, but in the main we dealt with it all quite well. We play very narrow when we don't have the ball, which I think will work well the majority of the time, which it did yesterday. They did overload us down the right often, was fortunate that their wide players were very wasteful. We weren't quick enough on the counter attack first half, when we had the chance to break, it was all a bit to slow tempo, and Hemmings had a poorish game, helped a few of our counters break down. We did however create the best two chances of the half, one of which really should have hit the back of the net, think it was Paterson.

Start of the second half, much better tempo, and we got two goals which we thoroughly deserved. Grof made a double save that reminded me of Walker in his hay day, fantastic stuff. All in all no one could deny us the victory. Looked solid for the most part, and created much better chances. Paterson's shot would have been goal of the season had it gone in rather than hitting the bar/post. Really chuffed, we look like a decent side, although looking at our bench, we will need to remain injury free, in particular cuvelier, who is up there with the David Preece, Martin O'Conner's as a Walsall midfielder, he really is that good.

This post was actually written by me, Belg had left himself logged in on my computer.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:29 am

Sadders wrote:A nervy 2-2 is the best we'l get from this.

Errrr

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 am

PINNACLE wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

You acknowledgement of the whoosh goes some-way to it being OK... but not all the way :P

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:52 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:First half I thought we struggled a bit, was under a lot of pressure, but in the main we dealt with it all quite well. We play very narrow when we don't have the ball, which I think will work well the majority of the time, which it did yesterday. They did overload us down the right often, was fortunate that their wide players were very wasteful. We weren't quick enough on the counter attack first half, when we had the chance to break, it was all a bit to slow tempo, and Hemmings had a poorish game, helped a few of our counters break down. We did however create the best two chances of the half, one of which really should have hit the back of the net, think it was Paterson.

This post was actually written by me, Belg had left himself logged in on my computer.

Whoever authored it, I agree entirely.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:15 pm

From a Pompey site:-
On a final note, Walsall deserve credit for their performance yesterday. In the context of the quality of this division, they are the best side that Portsmouth have played against this season, keeping the ball on the deck and tactically sound.

http://www.portsmouth-mad.co.uk/news/tm ... ndex.shtml

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Worsul wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:Anybody who went yesterday going to do a synopsis on each players performance? I always find them interesting and informative.

Grof - 7. Fantatstic save early in the 2nd half which stopped us going behind. Still doesn't inspire as much confidence for me as Wacka does, but generally good.
Purkiss - 6. Didn't play badly, but if Portsmouth were going to score an equaliser it was going to come from our right (as did their first goal). Also is it me or does he look as if he is injured when he walks?
Butler - 8 Usually Solid performance without any of the sloppy passes he sometimes produces
Holden - 7. Needed Butler to cover for him a couple of times but did the simple things well.
Taylor - 7 . Solid. Can't recall any errors.
Featherstone - 8 . I really like this guy. So good at keeping possession. Allows Flo and Paterson to do their thing.
Hemmings - 6 - A mixed bag for me today. Attacks seemed to break down with him and his shooting was poor. Did set up the first goal and generally provide an outlet though.
Flo - 8 Our most creative player, cracking goal too.
Paterson - 7 . Should have done better with the chances he had in the first half especially in the very first minute. But that shot at the end deserved to go in and would have been a goal of the season contender.
Baxendale - 7 Brilliant goal and linked the play up well,
Bowerman - 7. Held the ball up really well. Looked much more experienced than he is. Didn't get any favours from the ref either.

Subs
Grigg - 5 - Didnt do much
Taundry 10 - He's one of our own you know.

For me A genuinely good team performance rather than one or two outstanding individual performances.

:) Thanks Worsul

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 pm

m&m wrote:Fantastic away win with 2 stunning strikes.

A really great day out sitting with Pompey friends.

The only downside was our really poor support. I told the pompey guys we would probably bring around 500 but in reality there were only about 300 Saddlers. In league 2 a few years back we averaged 800 away fans over the season.To an extent I can understand the stayaways at home games but what's the excuse at big away games like Pompey.

They may be in crisis but what magnificent fans Pompey have, If we made a quarter of that noise at home games it would make games alot more enjoyable. It makes you realise how desparate the Bescot library really is...

I went to Portsmouth when we lost 1-5 under Graydon on a Tuesday night. We were in a higher division but we only took 250-270 there....and from what I remember of the place there isn't a lot to attract the floating away fan...it was a dive.

It did however display how shocking our home support is, even after we went 1-0 up in that game the chants kept coming from the home end. You can't just blame the stadia for killing the atmosphere, at the end of the day there's a number of new stadiums around that have partisan support. I get the impression people just cant be bothered to do anything at Walsall.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

To be fair, it's more portsmouth than Walsall, I went to 7 or so aways last season and not once did I think that home support was better than our poor effort, if it was, not by much anyway.

I'd hazard a guess and say we'd be much louder if or home end was similar to that, you could hear even a small few loud and clear.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season