Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (H) - League 1 - 08/09/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: MK Dons (H) - League 1 - 08/09/12

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon with the first half especially being very entertaining. Second half became the Alamo as we tired against a physically stronger team. Well as Baxendale played, we miss Chambers in the middle as he has more presence. Great to see a team trying to play football and Featherstone was particularly impressive today with Paterson, Flo and Baxendale all contributing well. Second half, the back four were all good with Holden and Butler rock like with some heroic blocks. Haven't seen them since Donny and Purkiss and Holden were miles better today. Only disappointment was Hemmings who didn't seem to want to drive forward and contributed little.

We are where we are in terms of budget for all the reasons that we know, but the team that has been assembled and the style that they are trying to adapt is entertaining and it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Certainly makes me want to go regularly rather than some of the crap we have seen over the last few seasons. It's going to be tough, but a young team trying to play is worth getting behind IMHO.

Someone wrote after Brentford that Holden was useless and Butler is a 'terrible footballer'. There has been lots of stuff posted on here that I have disagreed with but it's a free country and an open board, so fair enough. That comment just beggars belief.

Final thought - Jabo didn't even get off the bench, what would we give to have him up top?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:42 pm

where is saaeland?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:the team that has been assembled and the style that they are trying to adapt is entertaining and it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Certainly makes me want to go regularly rather than some of the crud we have seen over the last few seasons. It's going to be tough, but a young team trying to play is worth getting behind IMHO.

Couldn't agree more. After two seasons of struggle, if we're going to finish in a lowly position again, I'd rather do that with a young side trying to play in the right way. They might get hampered by naivety now and again, but I think I'd rather that than see the 'experienced' likes of Hurst, Jarvis, Peterlin & co. struggle to make an impression.

A solid start to the season was absolutely essential, and we seem to have done that. The task for Smith now is to extend this run for as long as possible. It's pleasing to hear that he is still keen to strengthen the squad and he's absolutely right - we're better equipped to bring players in now than we were a couple of weeks ago.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Nicky Featherstone our new Mat Richards.

...But with hair.
And movement.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Superb.

Played good football again. Baxendale slotted in well. Featherstone was impressive again. Patterson worked harder than I've ever seen him work. The back four were immense. Agree with others who say that Holden was MOTM - loved his interview on WM afterwards - sounds like he loves us and we're certainly beginning to love him.

When you see the opposition bringing players like Alan Smith and Charlie Mcdonald off the bench and deciding they didn't need the services of a player like Jobo it really does place into perspective the achievements of Dean and his young squad in this early part of the season.

A really difficult opening five fixtures and we've come through them with flying colours. With key players missing through injury and international call ups and Flo Couvelier not quite right on top of his game, it is an exceptional start.

Well done Dean and the lads.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

As Bathsaddler has disappeared into the long grass, does anyone know how many were there today?

Many thanks xx

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:28 pm

chestersaddler wrote:As Bathsaddler has disappeared into the long grass, does anyone know how many were there today?

Many thanks xx

Was noisier than last week. Dunno the numbers but it looked like MK brought less than Brentford, so our home support might have been up 300 or so which is encouraging. The team deserve better support.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm

PT wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As Bathsaddler has disappeared into the long grass, does anyone know how many were there today?

Many thanks xx

Was noisier than last week. Dunno the numbers but it looked like MK brought less than Brentford, so our home support might have been up 300 or so which is encouraging. The team deserve better support.

I agree. Talking the club up, rather than bitching can do wonders.

Im chuffed to bollocks and already started planning a customer visit in the Stevenage area a week on Tuesday :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:35 pm

We played well today. As I mentioned after the QPR and Brentford cup game - when we get the ball down and play we look a very good side. I just hope we can add some experience and beef the squad up a bit, because a few injuries and we are screwed.

Still think we are crying out for an experienced striker - we also need another midfielder.

433 is the way - much better in this formation (as mentioned previously).

Onwards and upwards - lets hope not sideways or backwards.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

We're fudge brilliant. Stayaways can keep staying away and the rest can enjoy what's hopefully in its infancy.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We're jolly well brilliant. Stayaways can keep staying away and the rest can enjoy what's hopefully in its infancy.

Thing is, they'll all come crawling back.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm

latviancheese wrote:Managed to go at the last minute.

Whilst we rode our luck, today was most pleasing. Holden and Butler were absolutely immense second half, and MK Dons just had no other ideas other than lumping it. Grof still terrifies me off crosses but he seemed to grow in confidence too. Baxendale and Featherstone also superb. Mk Dons are a very big team and they didnt outmuscle us at the business end of the pitch.

Grof - Solid and the two saves he had to make were good.
Purkiss - Did alright considering he runs in treacle, a good footballer though.
Holden - Immense second half, still a bit slow, and was caught out in the first half a couple of times.
Butler - The same
Taylor - Sadler Mk2. Solid

Baxendale - Ran himself into the ground, had a very good game.
Featherstone - A proper passer, we have found a bit of a cheap gem here.
Cuvelier - Faded second quite badly but in the first half had that extra but of class, put it this way hes better than Alan Smith.

Paterson- Great game defensively,best game hes had for a while in that sense. unlucky not to score from a good run, which he could have passed instead.
Bowerman - Fed off scraps, put himself about.
Hemmings - He's been told to pass it and keep the ball but wish hed have a run with it occasionally.

Subs
Jones - Slotted in midfield.
Williams - Hes a big fella, could have worked himself a chance if the referee/linesman hadnt been such a divvy.
Taundry - Left foot, we would have won 2-0.
Shoutout to the stag do guy, that pink condom suit must have been fecking hot!

Cracking summary. Spot on.

Thought it was a really mature performance from Bowerman... thankless job but was a handful and Featherstone could be a real gem if he carries on like that.

Also, there seems to be a real plan in place as to how Smith wants us to play. No mindless 4-4-2, but a fluid, passing, technical style with a team that looks like it will get even better with time. There may be a lack of strength maybe at times but i'd rather see us win/draw/lose playing this way than the crap we've put up with recently. We'll probably take the odd beating from the tall, long ball merchants but we'll also probably make the odd team look daft too. There have been calls for a big target man but part of me thinks that we only need this as a plan B as this lot want to play a more fluid style.

First time in ages I (and the lads I was with) left with as big smile on our faces, proud of the way we tried to play and optimistic we may enjoy some proper football this season.
Last edited by kshammer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Have to say today was a game of two halves. I thought we played some nice stuff particulary in the first half and went in at the break with a deserved 1-0 lead.

The second half was predictable, MK Dons were always going to throw everything, including the kitchen sink at us. On paper, their squad is vastly superior to ours. In all honesty, it showed. The amount of chance they made. A combination of a bit of luck and heroic defending saw us come away with all 3 points.

I'm not taking anything away from the lads, they put in a brilliant performance to win us the game and i'm delighted for us to once again take points off a team that without a doubt will be 'up there' by the end of the season.

Grof: I thought he had a good game. The odd shakey moment but pulled off a couple of good saves and started to look more like the keeper we had last season.

Purkiss: He didn't have a bad game by any mean but I feel he is the weak link in the squad.
Butler: Superb, defended heroically.
Holden: Same as Butler plus the goal!
A.Taylor: Looking like a great find. Cool and composed on the ball, defended well and looked to get forward when possible.

Paterson: I thought he did well. Decision making still questionable at times but he worked his socks off and put in a decent performance
Featherstone: If he carries on like this he'll be a right gem of a find. Pure quality. I can't remember him wasting a pass. He also wasn't afraid to get stuck in. My MOTM as well as the sponsors.
Cuvelier: Played very well first half and at times showed his class, however I thought he faded second half when we were under the cosh.
Hemmings: Quiet game from him bar the odd run.

Baxendale: Slotted into the team behind Bowerman and played well. I saw him for the first time properly at QPR and I was impressed then. He carried that level of performance on today.

Bowerman: Worked very hard and was always a thorn in the backside of the MK defence. Tired towards the end, and struggled up top by himself at times, but none the less a decent shift from the lad.

SUBS
Jones: Didn't have much to do but looked decent on the ball when he had it
Taundry: Looked out of place in the team. Everyone else was composed on the ball and he still tries to play everything at 100 miles an hour
Williams: Not enough time to do anything.

Harris8234

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm

First of all let me just say what a win that was! Beating teams like MK Dons who should be "up there" will see us in good stead at the end of the season. Very big win this might turn out to be. Really enjoyed the first half, some very entertaining football was played. Lots of passes and building play up, with some good efforts at the end of them! Second half was the same old Walsall defending "like beevers" as Chris Kamara would say. However, i thought we defended really well, just missing an outlet during the second half, which could of took the pressure off our back four for a moment. Featherstone was outstanding along with Holden. I would of struggled to of chose a MOTM between those.

Grof - Growning in confidence however still looks a bit weary when the ball is played back to him, and for some reason always seems to dive on the ball. All well and good when were trying to waste time in the last 10 mins but with 40 mins to go?
Purkiss - Still to impress me. Cant seem to run anywhere, always looks like a jog. Paterson had to come on the cover for him a few times after he had gone marauding upfield and couldnt get back. Vital clearance off the line. Could turn into an intelligent footballer.
Holden - A MOTM contender. Put his body on the line for the cause. Made a few excellent challenges and obviously scored the goal. Actually thought he was going to shoot from 20 yards out when he ran out of defence with ball and got 40 yards forward! Great player.
Butler - Another typical captains performance. Threw himself about and won the majority of things in the air. Seems to of struck up a good relationship with Holden. Lets hope they can continue this performance throughout.
Taylor - Got forward brilliantly and also had the legs to get back into position after. Has showed the quality he has over the last few games and if continues this form could be the next Mat Sadler. Certainly done himself no harm.
Featherstone - Quite rightly won MOTM. Can certainly pick a pass of two. Looks controlled and calm on the ball. Saw somewhere that he could be a cheap gem and i certainly agree. Great find by Ginger Mourinho!
Paterson - Had one of his best games this season! Attacked with pace and skill, but also backed the attacking side of his game up with some good defensive work, blocking a few of their crosses and making vital interceptions. Great talent if he playes like this every week.
Cuvelier - First half was the normal, premiership quality Flo. Controlled the game, tireless energy and made some great strong tackles. However in the second half got flooded out by the Dons attacking force. Struggled to make an impact in the second half. Still a class above the rest!
Hemmings - Personally his worst game in a Walsall shirt. Not sure if he was told to hold the ball up and to pass but didnt seem himself. His pace and trickery is a worry for full backs but didnt show it today! Last few games he has set himself a very high standard, so hopefully today was an off day for him.
Baxendale - Ran himself into the ground. Some good touches and released the ball well. Played well in this "freedom" role he seemed to have. Would maybe struggle in the middle of the park but today played some nice football.
Bowerman - Pushed himself for even more starts in my opinion. Won some great headers and constantly giving their back four something to think about. Should of won a penalty in the first half when his goal bound shot struck a defenders arm. I predict a 15+ goal season for him.

Not saying we are going to win the league but this is most definately a step in the right direction. Crying out for another striker though, so hopefully Deano can pull a decent one out of the loan market. Maybe this might be a good season for us and could see us secure a mid table position. Playing like this could very much see us do that!

UTS

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Normally I sleep on a result and post in the morning but fuelled with the black stuff I'm still buzzing from today's result . Firstly so happy with a tremendous performance from Grof just one near the end save that really was that good to deserve the three points. And how immense were Holden and Butler ??? Played some lovely football first half and showed the grit second half that was lacking against Brentford . Really proud with all our young pups and as for the league .... who knows ? :D up the Saddlers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Shades of 99 I have a funny feeling about this season

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 pm

I support Walsall.
I am therefore happy if:
1. We win most home games.
2. We win the odd away game.
3. We try and play decent footy.
4. We do reasonably well in the Cups ie don't go out against mediocre teams..
5. We don't get involved in relegation scraps.

I don't really give diddly about what the owner did a few seasons ago and what his attitude is.
If he died in his sleep tonight I wouldn't be dancing in the streets tomorrow.

Therefore, with the national team also winning, it's a happy frame of mind I'm in....

Well done lads there's a cloud of contentment hanging around - for a few days at least.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Lovely footie going forward today. I'm struggling to think of a player since Samways who wastes less of the ball than Featherstone, he seems to have the same amount of time on the ball as Flo which is incredible given where we got him from. Great movement in the first half and it should have been easier as we deffo should have had a penalty/red card early on. Hit well on the break in the 2nd half as well, but we need to start taking those chances when they come.

It was a really enjoyable day, but without wishing to piss on the parade, I'd have been really effed off if I was one of those retards who regard themselves as Franchise "fans". Just looked at the stats 9-20 on shots according to the Beeb. Be honest, the Mongs deserved a point today, and the gods of footie have been smiling on us in the last 2 home games. The defence is still not working well as a unit and its all last ditch bollocks-in-front-of-the-ball defending. Admirable, but someone is going to give us a real hiding one day if they can put the ball in the net. Butler was superb today, Holden pretty good, Taylor impressive and Purkiss less vulnerable looking than I've seen him before. So, where's the problem? For me, it looked like Grof - other people have noted an improvement but he looked short on confidence. To me, the defence looked like they had little faith in them helping them out when the ball came into the box and ended up defending a few yards too deep.

Rejoice the day (and remember Matt), enjoy actually watching proper footie this year, but be realistic. The season is yet young.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Great day, good win and I'm happy. But, we still miss someone up top to hold it up. It just don't stick there and it puts us under too much pressure. As boringteacher says, we're gonna get a pasting one day. That's not to rubbish the decent football we play, because it's much better to watch than for ages, I'm just trying to be realistic. I think we will do much better this season than many of us thought we would, we could just do so much better with the right acquisitions.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I agree one day the cack will hit the fan and we will be four nil down in ten minutes. First half defending was shoddy to say the least.

At times it was last ditch, the second half i thought we just soaked up the balls in the box most of the time. Grof made two/three saves at most.

The fact is, they have a good squad no doubt about it, theyve got good wingers who dont waste crosses, and every ball they put in was dangerous, yet we kept a clean sheet. Thats the positive for me. Imagine what they are paying wasters like Bullard and Smith, i wish we had that kinda wages for a player. Chadwick is a quality league one player too.

I thought Grof grew in confidence at the end, which i was glad to see, and i wanted to smash the fudge cheering every catch in the face. Hope your wives give ya herpes lads!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 pm

latviancheese wrote:I thought Grof grew in confidence at the end, which i was glad to see, and i wanted to smash the Lackwits cheering every catch in the face. Hope your wives give ya herpes lads!

Too bloody right. He's got promise and the coaches need to be working on improving what he does for the team. Its not right at the moment, but he's got enough promise to persist. I wish he'd stop the bloody rollovers though. I really can't see the logic in destroying our own players.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 pm

boringteacher wrote: really can't see the logic in destroying our own players.

Because they have sad, lonely,delusional lives on the dole.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 am

Great win and the green shoots of a better season,however I think if Smith had played the whole game it would have been a different outcome.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 am

latviancheese wrote:
boringteacher wrote: really can't see the logic in destroying our own players.

Because they have sad, lonely,delusional lives on the dole.

Grigg out! Grof out! Holden out! All cack!

To turn a phrase:

Those who have the loudest voices, are usually the biggest retards.

mossa

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 am

Very pleasing to win and hold onto the 1-0 after the Brentford game. We defended fantastic and Butler and Holden were immense. I know they created a lot of chances and some of the defending was last ditch but frankly Mk Dons have better players than us and a budget that is probably 4 times bigger than ours. Makes me laugh now all the pre season comments about the ex Hereford players as they are all still in the team (except the injured Brandy). Featherstone looks a class act and is so carm on the ball, he looks a great signing. Early days but hopefully this season we won't have a relegation battle and can be a comfortable mid table (which is beyond what most of us expected at the start of the season). Gamble was On WM and said there is still a little of the budget left to spend and Smith was interviewd after the game and said we need someone up front so hopefully the penny has dropped and we get a decent striker at least on loan with a bit of presence about them.

Grof- Much better performance. Think someone has had a few words with him as he looked a lot braver yesterday. Made a couple of good saves and seemed much more confident 7
Purkiss- Slowly changing my opinion of him. Not the quickest but helps out the centre backs with his size and fairly good on the ball. 7
Butler- Personally my MOTM. I thought he was awesome yesterday winning everything in the air and his commitement to the cause is fantastic. 8
Holden- Between him and Butler for MOTM. Holden was also excellent yesterday and got the winner. Looking a good partnership
Taylor- What a find, can defend and good going forward. Was gutted when sadler left but on his first 3 games looks like he could be as good as him. 8
Featherstone- Can't remember him wasting a pass all game. So carm on the ball and gets stuck in as well. 7
Baxendale- Very encouraging full debut. Lots of energy and some good runs, the odd wasted pass or loss of the ball but looks a decent squad player who won't let us down when needed 7
Paterson- Lots of tricks and worked very hard. Again sometimes picks the wrong option but the talent is there. 7
Flo- Not at his best yesterday, decent first half but wasn't at the races second half. Havent seen the best of him this season but as he kept us up last season his forgiven and im confident he will only get better. 6
Hemmings- quiet in spells but alwasy dangerous when he gets going. Adds a lot of pace to the team and has the skill to go with it. Looked shattered after 60 mins so think his fitness needs some work. 7
Bowerman- Very pleased again with him. Competes for everyting and seems to have got a lot stronger from last season. So much better than Grigg up there and has a promising future 7

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 am

Also, the players have a bit of 'edge' about them this season. Not ill-disciplined, but just prepared to stand up for themselves in a confrontation: to not roll over.

Against bigger, experienced players that can be really important. All too often in the recent past we've given opposition players too much respect.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 am

Mel Eves was on WM after the game saying that the Dons' playing budget is 5 to 6 times Walsall's.

He's George Bowerman's agent, so I guess he should know.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 am

WarsawPact wrote:Mel Eves was on WM after the game saying that the Dons' playing budget is 5 to 6 times Walsall's.

I'd be surprised at that. I'm sure I saw recently that their budget was around the £4m mark, if ours is a sixth of that, things are a lot worse than I'd imagined!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 am

WarsawPact wrote:Mel Eves was on WM after the game saying that the Dons' playing budget is 5 to 6 times Walsall's.

If they are employing Alan Smith and Bullard, we know already. He's probably exaggerating a little, though.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:42 am

Registered Saddler wrote:

I'd be surprised at that. I'm sure I saw recently that their budget was around the £4m mark, if ours is a sixth of that, things are a lot worse than I'd imagined!

Ours is 1/5 of that.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season