Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Q.P.R.(a) Capital One Cup 2nd round 28/8/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Q.P.R.(a) Capital One Cup 2nd round 28/8/12

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm

It's all about your mindset ain't it, I personally aren't dreadfully fussed if I hear racism, it's obviously not right and I wouldn't happily spout it myself but like I said above, I've heard it so many times in my lifetime already it just flys over my head like an ordinary swear word would. You've gotta be a bit dim to shout n****r at a football match anyway, because you'll be banned for life before you know it.

If you were that fussed on the night, Gray, confront the bloke being racist, or run to a steward. No good crying on a forum afterwards.

In my eyes harmless away day craic, no holds barred, lets have it - would be bloody boring if we all watched what we chanted and cut out the swearing just to please some supporters, whoever's being racist will get their comeuppance when they do, exactly the same as my thoughts on hooligans who actively look for trouble, let them get on with it, they'll be banged up soon enough.

I'll get my tin hat too.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Away games = anything goes.

Didn't do me any harm witnessing all sorts of stuff since the late 70s-80s-90s and so on. Things have been sanitised to such an extent that there will soon be a curtailment on any raucous behaviour at all. :(

Anything? Is the 'kick it out' campaign about sanitising? I know what you're saying, but I would argue a line should be drawn somewhere. Either that, or don't even pretend that kids should go by selling only adult tickets (literally making it 'adults only'). After all, a cinema wouldn't sell kids' price tickets for a film with loads of swearing in.

I'm sounding like a real prude here, and I'm honestly not. Nor am I a kill-joy.

Ah, I don't know. Maybe I'm out of step.

Brummie, I've heard much worse than those chants. I just think it lacks wit, creativity or originality when we sing other people's songs. The Dean Holden one is great. Clayton Ince's was good too. I've happy memories of 'we're gonna win four-three' when Pedro Matias was brought on in stoppage time away at Maine Road and we're 3-0 down. etc. etc. The Keiron Dyer one was inspired too. Trouble is, we need more fans.

More fans = more songs = less chance for the tiny minority to be embarrassing on all our behalves.

Football games are one of those rare occasions when all of male society has the opportunity to mingle, shout and swear for a few minutes before retreating back under the undergarments of 'civilised' behaviour. If and when racism appears then there is the opportunity for the willing to challenge it, exactly like I did at MK dons when a couple of vocal fans began gobbing off within earshot of our players.
Once shouting and getting excited at football matches goes for a burton - what else is there for blokes to do except sit alone in a pub and worry about what colour of underpants to wear while waiting to be castrated?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

No need for tin hats, matey.

Good to talk about stuff like this.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:29 pm

80% of our away games are very placid affairs. Two coachloads of Roystons lot plus a few dozen in cars. I wouldn't and don't hesistate taking my 8 year old to places like Bury, Hartlepool, Tranmere where we have only around 200 fans who are very polite people indeed. I dare say some would say these are boring but they are great days for dad and son.

But I also look forward to the big lads days out too - the 18 year old lad that most of us still have in us just can't help it. You can spot them coming a mile away and if you or anyone you go with would be harmed by swearing then it's best you or your travelling companions don't attend. The good thing about the modern era though is that if you're with kids there's virtually no chance of them coming to any physical harm. Thirty years ago, random missile throwing meant that this wasn't the case and even todays wannabe Cass's and Hickey's would deem harming a kid or a dad with his kid "bang out of order". As KC says, for these games it comes down to parental judgement - so I'll attend the Shrewsbury game childless. He can watch on the box - which is a nice consolation.

I do though look forward to the day that me and my lad of catholic Irish descent (OK I could just say scouse - same thing) can sit in a boozer at a big away day and concur in the most foul language possible what a bunch of ignorant arseholes anyone singing about flutes etc are.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 pm

I went to about a third of our away games last season and thought the chanting and atmosphere ranged from average/poor - (Hartlepool, Stevenage) to the blinkin' fantastic - (Huddersfield, Sheff Wendy).

But I have to say that it was a strange atmosphere at Oldham - my only away game this season. The fact that there were only 160 there didn't help but there seemed to be an over-reliance on mum insults, the tedious "X is a ****hole, I wanna go home" and some equally dull stuff about the sexual proclivities of two lone female Oldham employees who walked past the front of the stand. I know it's only one game but I think we're better than that (and it's heartening to hear that the majority of chants last night seem to back that up). And for anyone who wants to say "start some chants yourself then Bangy" then that's a perfectly valid point.

Incidentally, isn't "You know what you are" the chant that Chelsea's neanderthal contingent were rightly slated for directing at Anton Ferdinand last season?

We're DEFINITELY better than that.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 pm

bangsection wrote:I went to about a third of our away games last season and thought the chanting and atmosphere ranged from average/poor - (Hartlepool, Stevenage) to the blinkin' fantastic - (Huddersfield, Sheff Wendy).

But I have to say that it was a strange atmosphere at Oldham - my only away game this season. The fact that there were only 160 there didn't help but there seemed to be an over-reliance on mum insults, the tedious "X is a ****hole, I wanna go home" and some equally dull stuff about the sexual proclivities of two lone female Oldham employees who walked past the front of the stand. I know it's only one game but I think we're better than that (and it's heartening to hear that the majority of chants last night seem to back that up). And for anyone who wants to say "start some chants yourself then Bangy" then that's a perfectly valid point.

Incidentally, isn't "You know what you are" the chant that Chelsea's neanderthal contingent were rightly slated for directing at Anton Ferdinand last season?

i was at chelsea v blackbrun the following week at eawood park and that chant followed with a contingent shouting nigga and koon at the end of it, not one familyman or women pipped up or seemed disgusted, instead of the minority it was the majority.

gray
Glitterati

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Darth Vader wrote:If you were that fussed on the night, Gray, confront the bloke being racist, or run to a steward. No good crying on a forum afterwards

Not crying about it all. I said in my comment that I wished I'd told the guy to shut up. I've got to admit I bottled it, I wasn't the only one though. I just starting singing other songs over the top of it. Like you, I'm not shocked when I hear racism, I've heard it plenty of times. I do think we should try to stamp it out of our fans though (which is hypocritical of me as I didn't do it). I want people of all backgrounds to feel welcome supporting our club. Luckily we don't hear it much.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 pm

My lad hears swearing at every single home game (not from me I hasten to add). It's just my choice of parenting style, but I actually don't believe sheltering your kids from it is doing them any favours. My son recognises all swear words and it has turned him in to the swear police if a friend or family member accidentally slips out an expletive around him; he's straight on their case, telling them off about it. At away games he's seen fights, people getting handcuffed, arguments with stewards and he understands the concept of racism. I actually believe its done his character good. He has an exceptional understanding of the difference between right and wrong for a 5 year old. I'd obviously never put him in a situation where we felt threatened, but thankfully that's never happened. When we witness 'bad stuff', I always make sure we have a chat on the way home about why the person was wrong to do what they did, what their motives might have been etc.... I believe he learns a lot from it.

Just my way of doing things and probably not for everyone. He's turning out to be a very pleasant, balanced, sensible kid. He'a doing well at school, I've taught him conversational Italian and he can hold his own in a game of chess.

Away games can't have done him that much harm!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Chris wrote:My lad hears swearing at every single home game (not from me I hasten to add). It's just my choice of parenting style, but I actually don't believe sheltering your kids from it is doing them any favours. My son recognises all swear words and it has turned him in to the swear police if a friend or family member accidentally slips out an expletive around him; he's straight on their case, telling them off about it. At away games he's seen fights, people getting handcuffed, arguments with stewards and he understands the concept of racism. I actually believe its done his character good. He has an exceptional understanding of the difference between right and wrong for a 5 year old. I'd obviously never put him in a situation where we felt threatened, but thankfully that's never happened. When we witness 'bad stuff', I always make sure we have a chat on the way home about why the person was wrong to do what they did, what their motives might have been etc.... I believe he learns a lot from it.

Just my way of doing things and probably not for everyone. He's turning out to be a very pleasant, balanced, sensible kid. He'a doing well at school, I've taught him conversational Italian and he can hold his own in a game of chess.

Away games can't have done him that much harm!

superb style, exactly how i would go about it, let them see and hear what goes on in the real world, but at the same time help educate them to then be able to look at events from both sides of the coin with their own opinion and not one that has been forced upon them from the shelter of the house.

i personally could of turned out to be a right jeremy kyle tear away like the rest of people who were in my classes at school and others in the area and im glad to say i pulled away from that crowd during my later teenage years, but now i feel i have a great perspective on life and wont let no snob look down on me know more.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 pm

whats all the fuss about? walsall ay we

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 am

bangsection wrote:I went to about a third of our away games last season and thought the chanting and atmosphere ranged from average/poor - (Hartlepool, Stevenage) to the blinkin' fantastic - (Huddersfield, Sheff Wendy).

But I have to say that it was a strange atmosphere at Oldham - my only away game this season. The fact that there were only 160 there didn't help but there seemed to be an over-reliance on mum insults, the tedious "X is a ****hole, I wanna go home" Yeah agree about that song, it really is gash.When that's sung, then finished i shout "go home then!" Stupid song that makes no sense, if you wanted to go home and such and such is a sh*thole why come in the first place?and some equally dull stuff about the sexual proclivities of two lone female Oldham employees who walked past the front of the stand. I know it's only one game but I think we're better than that (and it's heartening to hear that the majority of chants last night seem to back that up). And for anyone who wants to say "start some chants yourself then Bangy" then that's a perfectly valid point.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

I don't care about where people are, what they are doing or the mindset, background, intelligence or stupidity of people. Racism has no place anywhere in society and should not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. To condone it or to ignore is nearly as bad as those who spout their vitriol.

Embarrassing.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 am

Quite amusing really because the people who come out with that crap wouldn't say fudge all to someone's face about the same thing.

No excuses, if you think sprouting about someone's race is part of the 'bantazz', your intelligence is probably running on empty.

Also, why the hell would anyone want to defend John Terry? the bloke's a pube.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:36 am

Well said that man!

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 pm

bangsection wrote: (and it's heartening to hear that the majority of chants last night seem to back that up).

We didn't stop singing from the first minute to the last, and just got louder as the final whistle went to show the team what a fantastic and proud performance they put in!

The racist chants were no longer than 5 minutes long, so to say it is a majority is misleading, however 5 minutes too long and attention should be focused on the players.

This was my first game of the season, and to be fair I was extremely impressed with how we kept the ball and always looked to play it across the floor, yes it's clear that we need a striker with a bit more presence, but i'm sure Deano will see this and get one in!

Grigg get's a lot of stick but in his defense he is still relatively in experienced, especially considering the demands of his role he is being asked to do as a lone striker. Also if his header was a tiny bit lower we would all be singing his praises, I think that we should be patient this season and I don't see why this team with an addition or two can't finish mid table!

UTS

Louise
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Enjoyed the game - we played well and partic in the first half made a game of it.
They have exceptional quality and I fully expected us to lose to a Premiership team , what I didnt expect was the standard of play from us and we didnt freeze in front of them .We tried and at times succeeded in playing football.
The away support was superb - vocal and most of it witty . Dont condone the racist bile at all ,just ignored that and focused on songs that support my team.
Proud to be a Saddler there and loved the old fashioned feel of Loftus Road - shame it wasnt better attended by their fans.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:09 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Quite amusing really because the people who come out with that crud wouldn't say **** all to someone's face about the same thing.

No excuses, if you think sprouting about someone's race is part of the 'bantazz', your intelligence is probably running on empty.

Also, why the hell would anyone want to defend John Terry? the bloke's a pube.

thinking about it then yes its true it shouldnt be classed as banter, but in the heat of things people say stuff without really thinking of the consequences, i dont think people who sang to anton are actually racist, just went below the belt in order to wind him and their fans up.

to say people doing so have no intelligence is pretty ignorant. in my opinion.

not standing up for racism, as i think and im sure most who looked to wind anton up know it is wrong, but antons name got brought up in the crowd then we used the easiest thing avalaible to wind him up.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Make all the excuses you want Brummie, I don't give a cack. I'd say using someone's race to wind them up is pretty ignorant don't you think?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Make all the excuses you want Brummie, I don't give a guano. I'd say using someone's race to wind them up is pretty ignorant don't you think?

i would agree, but it was very noticeable that the song was song twice max and never to be heard again, maybe because people acknowledged that it wasn't appropriate and quickly moved on.

the song you know what you are isn't actually racist - does it use color in the song no it doesn't. (even though we know what it was meant for) so people saying we could be getting into big trouble seems a little far fetched.

it could be suggested that his a liar as john terry was cleared of the allegations.

it wasn't a clever chant but it wasn't an absolute shocker in terms of pure hatred towards someone being another color than white - far from it.

to try and say anyone with a racist thought or even an open racist has zero intelligence is pretty ignorant. not trying to make a kerfuffle with you.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 pm

So did Brummie Sadler start the racist song ?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 am

KoloSaddler wrote:So did Brummie Sadler start the racist song ?

nope sir.

what would the knowledge of knowing who started it do anyway ?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 am

Okay, if they are openly racist they are probably really good at answering questions on countdown as well, fair enough?

Its pretty oblivious why they brought it up about Anton, doesn't matter if people so oh well its only said to wind him up. Would you be happy to hear fans make comments or songs about the Chamber twins, or Ashley?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am

derbysaddler wrote:Okay, if they are openly racist they are probably really good at answering questions on countdown as well, fair enough?

Its pretty oblivious why they brought it up about Anton, doesn't matter if people so oh well its only said to wind him up. Would you be happy to hear fans make comments or songs about the Chamber twins, or Ashley?

personally i would be thinking its below the belt but i wouldn't let it really get to me, i would just shout up and show support for James and Adam.

and the point about countdown, are you trying to say a person openly racist would do worse than a guy who is open about loving all races ???

Oxsall

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 pm

park park were ever you may be
you eat dogs in your own country
it could be worse
you could be scouse
eating rats in ya council house

is this the song a fellow uts'r found appalling ?

No, not that one (which I didn't actually hear).

With Park somebody else tried to start a song going:

The ***** shagged Green's missus"

but again it didn't catch on.

That one.

Anyway, I think the point has been made now.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 pm

'loving of all races' what a bizarre comment. Just take people as you find them and experience them, you don't have to package them in groups.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 pm

derbysaddler wrote:'loving of all races' what a bizarre comment. Just take people as you find them and experience them, you don't have to package them in groups.

i was just going from one extreme to the other which seems to be the norm on uts, i know its not one way or the other

SWS1

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 pm

One thing that hisses me off about the racism thing is that it interferes with talk about the football and getting rid of Bonser :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season