Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Q.P.R.(a) Capital One Cup 2nd round 28/8/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Q.P.R.(a) Capital One Cup 2nd round 28/8/12

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am

Went last night. Very impressed again with the type of football we are playing. Thank the atom we aren't playing channel hoof ball.

I think we controlled the games at times but missed that penetration up front. I thought we looked a lot more livelier when Bowerman came on as he actually made runs into dangerous areas.

With a decent striker in this side, we could do well this year.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

Bernie wrote:
Darth Vader wrote::lol: Oh deary me.

I dread to think what our away support would be like if everyone had the same mindset as you, we'd probably match Fulham for being guano!

Our away support could well be a lot bigger if it were not the brainless minority with their moronic "banter". It might surprise you to know that the vast majority of the population detest that sort of behaviour. What has racism, sexism, chants about player's wives etc got to do with supporting your team?

I agree with the types of chants sangs but regarding players wives the 'Tracey' chant was a stroke of genius :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 am

Bernie wrote:
Darth Vader wrote::lol: Oh deary me.

I dread to think what our away support would be like if everyone had the same mindset as you, we'd probably match Fulham for being guano!

Our away support could well be a lot bigger if it were not the brainless minority with their moronic "banter". It might surprise you to know that the vast majority of the population detest that sort of behaviour. What has racism, sexism, chants about player's wives etc got to do with supporting your team?

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, away fixtures are pretty-much adults only for me.

I've taken the Princes in the past and it's not been a great experience for any of us.

First, if everyone stands throughout the game in a seated area, my two can't see. Admittedly it's rare that we can't move seats, but it has happened a few times. Northampton away and Swindon away they saw nothing.

Second, the language and abuse can be extreme.

It's a shame really, because away days can be really special for kids - new grounds, great support for the team, sometimes great games, sometimes really important games that decide our fate.

I'm sure I'm not the only parent who feels more than a bit disappointed that a section of our fans insist on seeing the 'flute' song, racist abuse and persistent foul language as an integral part of 'support'.

Newsflash: it ain't.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

It's just part of an away day, you get a few borderline chants, slipped out racism and general abuse.....but it beats sitting in silence at the Bescot basically not getting your money's worth.

Far more partisan away from home, always will be.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 am

Darth Vader wrote:It's just part of an away day, you get a few borderline chants, slipped out racism and general abuse.....but it beats sitting in silence at the Bescot basically not getting your money's worth.

Far more partisan away from home, always will be.

I agree that vocal support is great - and we provide all we can.

But it's not either/or: we don't need to have torrential abuse as the sole alternative to silence.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 am

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:For your information fbs I was at work and sorry having an opinion I didnt realise it's not allowed.

Have your started the Will Grigg Appreciation Society yet as you are so far up his backside its untrue

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz! As I said before, I do know Will and so I will support him against criticism from people like you who slag him off when you weren't at the game. Contrary to your comments he did ok, nothing more really, but against a full strength QPR side that isn't too bad. He still had a lot of high balls to deal with (Grof needs to pass to the full backs more or they need to make themselves available more), however he did actually win a few headers against Fabio, Ferdinand and Nelsen. The only problem is that with 1 upfront there is nobody around him to gather the headers when he makes them! This was evident on 4-5 occasions last night. The set piece where he hit the bar was unlucky and well worked. Shame the ball wouldn't drop for him or Butler to smash it in on the rebound scramble. (c) Will Grigg Appreciation Society :wink:

So your opinion is from a biased point of view?

If you were not friends you would still think the same? :roll: :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 am

No KC, but you can't really expect ordinary working class Walsall fans who've probably had a few to behave in a completely sensible manner either, swearing's integrated in many lives, still racism as well by the looks, it is round here anyway, not saying it's right, just the way it is, prefer it like that too. I'd hate to have a fan-base that happily sit down all game, full of middle-classes who clap clap clap.

It shocks me that some still have a pop, been like this ever since I've gone away since a kid, it's just Walsall FC, no gay prawn sandwich brigade here.

Some people on here are gonna die with shock when we play Shrewsbury away then!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

Couldn't be more proud after last night. We gave a very good account of oursleves and were maybe unlucky not to get anything. QPR's superior quality was the difference as they fielded are near full strength team. However, we held our own throughout most the match, keeping posession rather comfortably for extensive periods of the game. We just lacked a little bit of something up top which is a continual problem this season. Having said that, Grigg hit the bar, Hemmings had a couple of decent efforts, Flo i think it was forced Green into a good save and Bowerman was ever so unlucky with an attempted lob.

I was impressed by Chambers who was our best player until going off. His replacement Baxendale did very well too. First time i've seen him for more than a couple of minutes and I thought he looked decent. The new bloke at left back, Taylor looked good. Comfortable defensively and looked to get forward at times. Featherstone and Hemmings also had good games. On the other hand, Patterson continues to flatter to decieve. All tricks and no end product. Tries to do too much and continually loses the ball. Flo had a quiet game but still tried his hardest with glimpses of quality.

As for our fans, top notch. Non-stop fpr the entire 90 minutes with continual banter. I'll admit that some of it stepped over the mark, particulary a couple of comments made about Anton Ferdinand and Rob Green's mrs. However, some of it was simple and hilarious. Some of my favourites where "We've seen Kieran Dyer play" and "if Bobby can play for England so can I". Also, the abuse of Andy Johnson was hilarious as it really annoyed him and he's a grade A twit. Also, loved the new Holden chant!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

Darth Vader wrote:No KC, but you can't really expect ordinary working class Walsall fans who've probably had a few to behave in a completely sensible manner either, swearing's integrated in many lives, still racism as well by the looks, it is round here anyway, not saying it's right, just the way it is, prefer it like that too. I'd hate to have a fan-base that happily sit down all game, full of middle-classes who clap clap clap.

It shocks me that some still have a pop, been like this ever since I've gone away since a kid, it's just Walsall FC, no gay prawn sandwich brigade here.

They can do what they like.

But my kids won't be there to witness it.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 am

King Crimson wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:No KC, but you can't really expect ordinary working class Walsall fans who've probably had a few to behave in a completely sensible manner either, swearing's integrated in many lives, still racism as well by the looks, it is round here anyway, not saying it's right, just the way it is, prefer it like that too. I'd hate to have a fan-base that happily sit down all game, full of middle-classes who clap clap clap.

Depends what sort of kids you want to bring up, zero tolerance with swearing and the like then your right to not bother and just do home games, but even then we don't hold back in certain areas.

Football is a working class game though, don't forget that, not like Cricket or Rugby. In the lower leagues anyway.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

is this ment it as a pun? :?

Chris
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Oh for Christ's sake. I actually think some people would be happy if our away following consisted of 30 pensioners nursing bovrils under their cosy tartan blankets.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 am

Chris wrote:Oh for Christ's sake. I actually think some people would be happy if our away following consisted of 30 pensioners nursing bovrils under their cosy tartan blankets.

You forgot the corned beef and tomato sandwich's

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 am

... and the Werther's Originals!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 am

Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Depends what sort of kids you want to bring up, zero tolerance with swearing and the like then your right to not bother and just do home games, but even then we don't hold back in certain areas.

Football is a working class game though, don't forget that, not like Cricket or Rugby. In the lower leagues anyway.

As someone from a working class background, please don't suggest that racist abuse and persistent swearing are mandatory ID.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 am

King Crimson wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

As someone from a working class background, please don't suggest that racist abuse and persistent swearing are mandatory ID.

I'm from a working class family and was raised not to swear, then I get older and thought nuts to that :D

p.s pre 2nd filter avoidance of the day

[post moderated - any more and you're be on the naughty step]

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:52 am

King Crimson wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Where did I say it was? I said many lives, never said all lives. I've heard it all so many times in such a short space of time it's just become every day life with me, the norm, 95% white in both school's I went to, I barely saw a black person my age until I went to secondary school, and even then they swiftly left due to the abuse they got.

I live in Beechdale, bar the odd polish, I don't think there's a non-swearer living here. :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

I'll bring a spare inhaler.

crodonilson

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 am

Magnificent support last night. I was on a corporate and the QPR fans said we were the best they'd had at Loftus Road in many years. Made me proud getting praise from Premier League fans.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 am

Forget the result QPR are a Premiership outfit , very encouraging performance .

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

I'll bring a spare inhaler.

Naughty

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Epic bantz towardz r rivuls.

gray
Glitterati

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 pm

I can't think when I've enjoyed back to back away games as much as last night and Notts County. We gave a really good account of ourselves. When QPR announced their team it was always going to be extremely hard but we had a few nice moves without really troubling them too much.

The Saddlers fans were brilliant, none stop singing from start to finish, in particular the new Holden song is excellent. It's a real shame some people were being openly racist, it was a bit embarrasing. Luckily they were in the vast majority and most people were just there to have a good time.

Oxsall

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 pm

I really enjoyed the match last night. It was great to see us try and play football. We were playing a team full of quality players, so it's no surprise or shame that we came off second best, although I'd have liked to have seen Bowerman come on for a midfielder rather than Grigg to make two up front when we were chasing the game. I hope we try and play that kind of football for the rest of the season in League 1. I thought Chambers was excellent until he went off injured and Featherstone did well too. It was a bit odd seeing Bowerman chasing QPR players as soon the final whistle went for the best shirt swap!

To echo KC and others' thoughts, the one downer for me about the whole experience was some of the songs. Please note, I'm all for singing at football matches. But the persistent chanting at Rob Green about his wife was horrible. And why go anywhere near chants about Ferdinand and Terry? I didn't hear direct racist remarks towards Ferdinand myself, but I did hear one version of the chant about Green's wife - thankfully more half hearted - using a racist slur to refer to Park Ji Sung. That's not just horrible, it's completely unacceptable whether you're an adult, child, or anything in between. Plus, imagine the shame and trouble it would cause Walsall FC if racist slurs we're picked up and reported to the authorities. My girlfriend is not white. I'm sad that as things stand I won't ever be able to take her to see Walsall play away.

gray
Glitterati

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Oxsall wrote:

To echo KC and others' thoughts, the one downer for me about the whole experience was some of the songs. Please note, I'm all for singing at football matches. But the persistent chanting at Rob Green about his wife was horrible. And why go anywhere near chants about Ferdinand and Terry? I didn't hear direct racist remarks towards Ferdinand myself, but I did hear one version of the chant about Green's wife - thankfully more half hearted - using a racist slur to refer to Park Ji Sung. That's not just horrible, it's completely unacceptable whether you're an adult, child, or anything in between. Plus, imagine the shame and trouble it would cause Walsall FC if racist slurs we're picked up and reported to the authorities. My girlfriend is not white. I'm sad that as things stand I won't ever be able to take her to see Walsall play away.

Great post. Like I said previously I don't think it was very many fans at all. It was a couple of people who were drunk and being idiots. I think a huge majority of Walsall fans would codemn the actions of those fools last night. I go to a lot of away games and last night was the first in a long time that I heard any racist remarks. I like to think that your girlfriend would be fine to come to Walsall away games.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Where did I say it was? I said many lives, never said all lives. I've heard it all so many times in such a short space of time it's just become every day life with me, the norm, 95% white in both school's I went to, I barely saw a black person my age until I went to secondary school, and even then they swiftly left due to the abuse they got.

I live in Beechdale, bar the odd polish, I don't think there's a non-swearer living here. :lol:

So what are you saying? You've twice sought to explain away the excesses of fans through reminding us that it's a working class sport, supported by the working class.

As I say, I was hardly born with a silver spoon in my mouth, and have spent much of my working life in very disadvantaged communities. But there's an apologist's mantra of "they don't know any better" that I will never accept as an explanation for stuff that is just plain wrong. Save it for Jeremy Kyle.

I never intended this to be heavy, or about morality etc. I was simply confirming Bernie's point that some of us either don't go to "big" away games or won't take impressionable kids (mine are six and eleven) when they're likely to think that the way to support your team is to contort your face with rage and spit expletives through gritted teeth at other human beings because they're wearing a different football shirt. I'm not stupid enough to think it can't happen at home games (although it rarely does - and we're in the Floors2Go Stand), or that my boys won't be exposed to bad language and racists as they grow up. I just exercise my prerogative as a parent to spare them from it as much as I can for as long as I can. If that means they miss Shrewsbury away, so be it.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

park park were ever you may be
you eat dogs in your own country
it could be worse
you could be scouse
eating rats in ya council house

is this the song a fellow uts'r found appalling ?

as for the ferdinand songs, the only one i heard was

you know what you are
you know what you are !!!

anton ferdinand

you know what you are.

it did hit me after when in the car that it could potentially put a sour note on peoples nights,

if it did then i apologise, it was only sang twice maximum that i can honestly remember and then from were i was standing we moved onto to other chants and rob greens wife.

were i was standing i didnt here the n word the w word or the k word.

some of the chants were very borderline at times but to be fair people around us (in the hardcore racist as fudge homophobe section) would give a reaction to gauge general feeling if a song is maybe a little over the top.

the night was very unique and i got the feeling that we didnt want to bat out the same walsall fc chants all game and had fresh meat (excluding ferdinand) so alot of people were just trying to make up ammuniton to just throw out off the terraces and see if it stuck or not.

i wouldnt stop my kids from coming away games (if i had any) i would just safeguard them as best as i could and help educate them about life on the terraces when they were old enough to understand.

dont let a couple 'throw away' chants ruin the image of the cracking loyal support our club enjoys.

i am not condoning anyone who just comes straight off the bat with 'you fudge monkey' etc etc that type of terrace behaviour in my opinion has been shafted out.

il have my tin hat at the ready as usual.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Away games = anything goes.

Didn't do me any harm witnessing all sorts of stuff since the late 70s-80s-90s and so on. Things have been sanitised to such an extent that there will soon be a curtailment on any raucous behaviour at all. :(

gray
Glitterati

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:43 pm

brummie saddler wrote:were i was standing i didnt here the n word the w word or the k word.

A guy near me started the Holden song but changed it to:

He's short and he's Wright Phillips and he's 4 foot 5.
Everyone needs a ****** in the middle.

he sang it through a couple of times but nobody joined in. He was being a prat all night and abusing the black players with racist terms.

With Park somebody else tried to start a song going:

The ***** shagged Green's missus"

but again it didn't catch on.

I didn't like the Anton Ferdinand songs or John Terry songs as they're clearly show support for the racist abuse Ferdinand did/didn't receive. I understand that most people were singing them to try and wind up Ferdinand rather than be racist themselves but I think more people should have taken a step back and actually thought about what they were singing before they joined in, I know how hard this is in the heat of the moment though.

Like I said on another thread I think the Rob Green songs are a bit of a different category. I can appreciate people being offended by them but I think they were meant to be funny and jokey rather than offensive. Green himself showed he found them funny by clapping and laughing at the end.

I think it was a great night with great support that shouldn't be overshadowed by a couple of stupid moments. I wish that I'd said something to the people being racist rather than just ignoring them but I'm pretty sure it won't become a regular thing. I go to quite a lot of away games and don't hear anything like that. I think last night had a slightly different feel to it and brought the bad side of some people.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Away games = anything goes.

Didn't do me any harm witnessing all sorts of stuff since the late 70s-80s-90s and so on. Things have been sanitised to such an extent that there will soon be a curtailment on any raucous behaviour at all. :(

Anything? Is the 'kick it out' campaign about sanitising? I know what you're saying, but I would argue a line should be drawn somewhere. Either that, or don't even pretend that kids should go by selling only adult tickets (literally making it 'adults only'). After all, a cinema wouldn't sell kids' price tickets for a film with loads of swearing in.

I'm sounding like a real prude here, and I'm honestly not. Nor am I a kill-joy.

Ah, I don't know. Maybe I'm out of step.

Brummie, I've heard much worse than those chants. I just think it lacks wit, creativity or originality when we sing other people's songs. The Dean Holden one is great. Clayton Ince's was good too. I've happy memories of 'we're gonna win four-three' when Pedro Matias was brought on in stoppage time away at Maine Road and we're 3-0 down. etc. etc. The Keiron Dyer one was inspired too. Trouble is, we need more fans.

More fans = more songs = less chance for the tiny minority to be embarrassing on all our behalves.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season