Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (a) - 25/08/12 - League 1

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Notts County (a) - 25/08/12 - League 1

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Notts' commentators paying credit to a classic away smash 'n' grab performance.

Greg Oxley
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:08 pm

@BescotBanter 
Delighted with the win, 4 points from 9 isn't bad considering we've played 2 promotion candidates! But surely if we can beat County we should be able to beat Oldham! Hope it isn't the same as last season being able to beat the big teams and struggle with teams similar to us! UTS

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Excellent result, well done lads!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:11 pm

They had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off........THE END. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I find it unfathomable how Grof managed to keep a clean sheet. Presumably Notts County had no shots on target otherwise they would have been certain goals against our clueless and confidence-shot young goalkeeper.

What is more, Smith's substitution and formation change midway through the half must have cost us any chance of a more comfortable victory, bearing in mind how he only ever makes changes that unsettle and disrupt the side.

Remember how we looked on enviously earlier in the pre-season at the fact the Notts County had made all those new signings? Their Hereford rejects were brilliant, their signings were made in June, their players had names we'd heard of; for all these reasons I knew that Notts County were a far superior club to Walsall in every way imaginable. This result has stunned me and I fully expect Walsall to return to their abhorrent worst by Tuesday night. Thanks a lot Smith, Gamble and Bonser. League Two here we come. :evil:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Darth Vader wrote:Listening to it on Saddlers Player (or trying to) we didn't sound woeful as you put it, classic away win more like, not much of the ball but 3 points in the bag.

Martin Swain's (E&S) comments suggested that whilst County dominated the first half, they failed to test Grof. In the second half, it sounded like we stood firm and had the fitness to create some chances towards the end. As you say, that's a classic away performance. Will await reports from those who were there with interest.

mossa

Fantastic result. Notts had won their first 2 games and were huge favorites to beat us. I listened on saddlers world as well and sounds like the game was a bit scrappy at times but we grafted out a result. Not sure how that could be classed as woefull as surely we should be given credit for stopping Notts playing well. Heard a few boos from their fans towards the end as well. According to the commentary Butler was fantasic today and pleasing to see defence is looking okay at the moment. Only conceded 4 goals in 4 games (3 in 1 game as well) so not to bad at all even though we on paper have a weaker defence than last season. UTS

red until im dead

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Well i must admit im very dissaponted we only came away with 3 points had we stuck to the task at hand we could have had all 6

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:28 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Im at the game and this has been yet another pathetic shambles where we have offered absolutly nothing going forward were a bottom half league 2 side in league 1 and its only a matter of time before county give us a hiding.

Thank you Jeff Bonser & Thank you Dean Smith for asembling this quite frankly pathetic team.

:lol:

Brilliant. :D

Whats funny we were pathetic again today once again were looking to a defender to be our main attacking threat our forward players offered nothing all game and no doubt the county manager will be laying into his side big time after they let us win that. I went to every pre season game and ive bin to every game so far and I have no doubt on mind we will go down this year but I will still be there week in week out.

I have supported the team in every game not once have I abused them while there on the field and have voiced my true opinion on here and on here only but as usual the "uts clique" know best while they sit behind there computer screens supporting walsall fc :lol:

SadsMad

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Just coming back from the game and just to counter what others said I thought we played well. 1st half we didn't have much in the way of end result but 2nd half I was really pleased with. Why do some people always look for negatives.

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:34 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Im at the game and this has been yet another pathetic shambles where we have offered absolutly nothing going forward were a bottom half league 2 side in league 1 and its only a matter of time before county give us a hiding.

Thank you Jeff Bonser & Thank you Dean Smith for asembling this quite frankly pathetic team.

Whats funny we were pathetic again today once again were looking to a defender to be our main attacking threat our forward players offered nothing all game and no doubt the county manager will be laying into his side big time after they let us win that. I went to every pre season game and ive bin to every game so far and I have no doubt on mind we will go down this year but I will still be there week in week out.

I have supported the team in every game not once have I abused them while there on the field and have voiced my true opinion on here and on here only but as usual the "uts clique" know best while they sit behind there computer screens supporting walsall fc :lol:

just cause you have been to every game doesnt mean that you dont talk rubbish, great win uts

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:42 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

What's wrong with enjoying a good away win? Forget your 'UTS clique' rubbish - I think you need to cheer up a bit.

SadsMad

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I find it unfathomable how Grof managed to keep a clean sheet. Presumably Notts County had no shots on target otherwise they would have been certain goals against our clueless and confidence-shot young goalkeeper.

What is more, Smith's substitution and formation change midway through the half must have cost us any chance of a more comfortable victory, bearing in mind how he only ever makes changes that unsettle and disrupt the side.

Remember how we looked on enviously earlier in the pre-season at the fact the Notts County had made all those new signings? Their Hereford rejects were brilliant, their signings were made in June, their players had names we'd heard of; for all these reasons I knew that Notts County were a far superior club to Walsall in every way imaginable. This result has stunned me and I fully expect Walsall to return to their abhorrent worst by Tuesday night. Thanks a lot Smith, Gamble and Bonser. League Two here we come. :evil:

Unfortunately you presumed wrong. Grof had a decent game. I went so I don't need to presume. Can't you just be happy with a well earned 3 points

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :mrgreen:

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Irony alert!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 pm

SadsMad wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I find it unfathomable how Grof managed to keep a clean sheet. Presumably Notts County had no shots on target otherwise they would have been certain goals against our clueless and confidence-shot young goalkeeper.

Unfortunately you presumed wrong. Grof had a decent game. I went so I don't need to presume. Can't you just be happy with a well earned 3 points

You need to turn on your sarcasm radar :wink:
I'm more than delighted, especially for Grof who has come in for some way OTT criticism in the last week. Good stuff from the lads, looking forward to seeing more of the same against QPR. UTS

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:01 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Didn't think it was like netball and only strikers were allowed to score!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Bloomin eck Registered, and the UTS clique say that I'm a moanin old git!!!!!
Sounds like it was a gritty performance, spoiled a few 'home banker' bets I'm sure.
Well I'm cheered up thats for sure, just got in and I'm quite overjoyed at such a crackin result..now bring on the right Lottery numbers, I need a few bob to buy a new house for the missus!! :D :D

SadsMad

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
SadsMad wrote:

You need to turn on your sarcasm radar :wink:
I'm more than delighted, especially for Grof who has come in for some way OTT criticism in the last week. Good stuff from the lads, looking forward to seeing more of the same against QPR. UTS

I most certainly do. Not used to speaking to fans on here that have sense :)

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Bloomin eck Registered, and the UTS clique say that I'm a moanin old git!!!!!
Sounds like it was a gritty performance, spoiled a few 'home banker' bets I'm sure.
Well I'm cheered up thats for sure, just got in and I'm quite overjoyed at such a crackin result..now bring on the right Lottery numbers, I need a few bob to buy a new house for the missus!! :D :D

i need a few bob to buy a new missis!!! :P

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 pm

JIZZ :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Not long back, pleased with the result and the performance in the last 20 minutes - the rest was crap and set piece goals from the captain aren't going to happen every week. The 1st half was as dismal as anything I've ever seen. County dominated possession and had a few chances flash wide without really testing Grof. Our entire 10 out field players were pathetic. Particularly Purkiss, Grigg, Paterson and Hemmings - truly woeful. We didnt have anything going forward and Purkiss played diagonal after diagonal to Grigg who won precisely nothing.

2nd half was better, especially the last 20 minutes. Bringing Bowerman on was a brave but excellent call from Smith as we instantly looked much better. We defended like lions In the end - with Butler not only scoring, clocking Lee Hughes in the face but winning 6 or 7 crucial headers against big Enoch Showumni - awesome performance. The Chambers brothers were good again, Adam in particular excellent. Cuvelier grew into the game and Hemmings had a better 2nd half. Paterson was pathetic, as was his fullback Purkiss. I think Purkiss actually wanted County to score, he passed to their players enough - he's garbage bring back Richard Taundry, or Lee Beevers - either way release him or loan him out, he's turd.

Positives
- Butler and Chambers were excellent at the back and we defended well as a team, even Hemmings.
- We've taken 4 points from 2 away games - and have already played 2 of the automatic promotion candidates.
- Bowerman looked okay when he came on and we played well on the break.

Negatives
- A defender scored again.
- Grigg looked yet again pathetic, no urgency, no energy, nohting - just plain old non league crappy garbage. You can pay me to run around and do nothing.
- 1st half was one of the very worst I can remember, dire from back to front.
- Purkiss and Holden make the right half of the defence look shaky. Purkiss in particular has non-league written all over him, thoroughly woeful.
- Paterson really was crap, wasted corners and crosses - never mind only finding a play in his own shirt 2 or 3 times over 94 minutes.

Grof 8 - Re-assured again, caught and collected crosses well and didnt have many saves to make. More importantly, no clangers.

Purkiss 3 - Pathetic. Tried lumping it when easy passes were on, gets caught on the ball, is slow, is gangly, is aquad, wins no headers, can't tackle. Get rid.
Holden 6 - Okay at times, shaky at others. Can only hoof.
Butler 9 - Best game in a while, won headers all afternoon, made a good tackle in the 1st half, scored and was generally captain fantastic at his best.
Chambers 8 - Solid enough, didn't make a mistake, passed well and got forward in the 2nd half a little.

Chambers 8 - Another consistent performance, works his heart out and did get forward again at times today. Impressed so far this season.
Cuvelier 7 - Poor 1st half, grew a bit in the 2nd half, but wasn't at his best.
Featherstone 5 - Poor predominantly. Gave the ball away 2-3 times in the 1st half, tried passing them a goal and didn't get stuck in.
Paterson 2 - Woeful. Wasted every corner bar 1 in the 2nd half, didn't beat his man, wasted 3 or 4 good positions with crap crosses. Has forgotten the kit we play in I think. Useless - might have potential, but needs to be dropped if he fanny's so much.
Hemmings 6 - Bad first half, much better 2nd. Nearly scored a potential for goal of the season after he beat 3 or 4 men and curled just over.

Grigg 1 - Absolutely garbage. Did he do anything all afternoon? So bad, I'd rather Jarvis or Parkin played. 'International' - yes internationally crud. Get him a partner or send him to ebbsfleet.

SUBS -
Bowerman 7 - Looked good when he came on, good movement but he must learn to keep onside, he was caught off 4 or 5 times. Grigg improved marginally when Bowerman came on.

Great result, predominantly garbage performance - If you can't see it yet Dean, get rid of Purkiss and FIND A TARGET MAN - If not we'l finish comfortable bottom.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Lovely comments on one of the main Notts County fans' message board about Lee Hughes....."Past it" "Too old" "Rubbish" "Get rid" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:28 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Lighten up a bit :D If you insist on posting such an outburst at HT when we are 0-0 away to one of the better sides in the division, then you should expect a bit of ribbing when the egg is on your face.

As for your last comment, I was there last Saturday (300 mile round trip) and witnessed a decent performance. Maybe we had the rub of the green today - that's life and that's football. I have no idea how long you have been a supporter, but us older 'uns have suffered plenty of cack watching Walsall long before Bonser or Smith were around.

So far this season we have played four competitive games, W2 D1 L1. Hardly wrist slitting time is it?

As Rob mentioned, let's just enjoy the win :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Lighten up a bit :D If you insist on posting such an outburst at HT when we are 0-0 away to one of the better sides in the division, then you should expect a bit of ribbing when the egg is on your face.

As for your last comment, I was there last Saturday (300 mile round trip) and witnessed a decent performance. Maybe we had the rub of the green today - that's life and that's football. I have no idea how long you have been a supporter, but us older 'uns have suffered plenty of cack watching Walsall long before Bonser or Smith were around.

So far this season we have played four competitive games, W2 D1 L1. Hardly wrist slitting time is it?

As Rob mentioned, let's just enjoy the win :D

Is it a crime to post we are playing rubbish? I was there, we was rubbish 1st half. Delighted with the win but don't let this paper over the cracks.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:47 pm

I didn't go to the match so I am prepared to be shot down in flames.

A good result. From the comments made here it seems we were less than good but still got a win. When Man united do that they are hailed as a great team who still win when they play badly. Funny old game innit?

However, it was Butler who scored from a set piece hoofed up by Purkiss. Shouldn't he be hoofing it up for a forward to convert? It's ok Mr Smith saying that Holden and Butler are the big lads to handle anything above 3ft in either box, but what if Butler didn't score and County counter attacked? Our best defender would be huffing a puffing to get back to do his main job.

I applaud the intention of lovely football, but can we have a Plan B please (ie a proper forward!) for when it all goes TU.

Despite the above, well done today! UTS!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Well according to Sporting Life we had 50% of the possession, 2 shots on target and scored 1.

Notts County had 50% of the possession, 6 shots on target and scored none.

Luck or not that seems like a good away result to me against one of the promotion favourites. I still think we will see a couple more good additions to the squad and plenty of improvement in the next few weeks. 3 points off top position, 4 points from bottom and no-one looking as if they are going to run away with the league this season.

I am Optimistic

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
Is it a crime to post we are playing rubbish? I was there, we was rubbish 1st half. Delighted with the win but don't let this paper over the cracks.

No, of course it is not a crime, but re-read his post and get some perspective.

I suppose your just pissed off that you can't post "Smith Out" as usual :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:02 pm

It's quite telling that we're three games in and nobody has a 100% record. That isn't typical of an opening to a season at this level.

Whether we were crud today or not, we won and find ourselves in a league which, at least for the time being, seems wide open.

Smith knows there's still work to be done in the transfer market, so let's just hope he gets the right people in. Better to be sat in mid-table trying to attract new players than rock bottom.

blobbyh

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Away win!! Thank you very much.........Couldn't wait for the typical Walsall moans - some of these people amaze me - they would find a bag of £20 notes and then moan they were too dirty - too difficult to spend - or rather have fifties.....

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season