Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Ken Barlow wrote:When is the draw for round 2?

Wednesday night after all other games are completed

larryhaggler

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Well I thought we played relativly well first half. Flo is clearly our best player and in a gerrard at liverpool kind of way he played that floating role, and at times we played nice football.

Not as convinced as some on our sencond half performance.
I though we gave them far to much of the ball (considering they were a man down at this stage) and they certainly created the better chances.

Biggest concern for me was in the last 20 mins our front 4 had very little experience and i think it showed, and we have a lack of pace at the back, especially to the ball over the top.

Suprised at MOM being Paetrson, though he did ok, but not spectacular.

Thought Chambers did well, but I would have given it to Taundry (not a popular choice on here probably) he stuck to his task well, tried to overlap and made a tremendous challenge early doors to stop a certain goal.

All in, happy with a win, but oddly it still felt like a pre season friendly !

Ken Barlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Two different performances. 1st half we tried to control the game and at points, we did. The 2nd half Brentford threw alot more at us so we had to play a little more defensive which, I am happy to say, did well. I for one was happy to see this as it shows we can defend when needs to but can also take the game by the scruff of the neck, keep the ball and control the game.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:59 pm

From a Brentford fan:

"Early days really but Walsall looked sharper and supririsngly for quite small team outmuscled us....also used the width well before the break when our defence looked like they'd only just met on the coach."

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Not sure If I was at the same game but I'll keep it short and sweet. Good 1st half performance, poor and very boring performance in the 2nd. Cuvelier a class apart in the 1st half, Hemmings looked very lively and took his goal well, Butler was solid and Chambers played very well in the middle. Could have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time. 2nd half was poor, not a single out of my chair moment, no aggression, no width - did we have a shot on target? Personally thought the back 4 looked very ropey at times, particularly the right hand side - Purkiss looks like he's running through quick sand, pretty slow and clumsy looking, hope we sign Chambers or play Taundry over him. Grigg generally very poor - perhaps I should sign up and run around for 80 minutes whilst contributing precisely no attacking intent or hold up play and then get a standing ovation as I leave the pitch. Weird what some football fans decifer between good and bad, but if we persist with Grigg up top alone, we'l only be going way - DOWN.

Overall positive tonight, we've beaten a Brentford side who were missing a few key players and had 10 men without ever being really tested or cut open. We're in the 2nd round and the performances and general formation we played in the 1st half was very pleasing on the eye - something we've not had for a long time.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 pm

larryhaggler wrote:Well I thought we played relativly well first half. Flo is clearly our best player and in a gerrard at liverpool kind of way he played that floating role, and at times we played nice football.

Not as convinced as some on our sencond half performance.
I though we gave them far to much of the ball (considering they were a man down at this stage) and they certainly created the better chances.

Biggest concern for me was in the last 20 mins our front 4 had very little experience and i think it showed, and we have a lack of pace at the back, especially to the ball over the top.

Suprised at MOM being Paetrson, though he did ok, but not spectacular.

Thought Chambers did well, but I would have given it to Taundry (not a popular choice on here probably) he stuck to his task well, tried to overlap and made a tremendous challenge early doors to stop a certain goal.

All in, happy with a win, but oddly it still felt like a pre season friendly !

It did actually, probably down to the mass empty spaces and batshit awful atmosphere.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:06 pm

larryhaggler wrote:I would have given it to Taundry (not a popular choice on here probably) he stuck to his task well, tried to overlap and made a tremendous challenge early doors to stop a certain goal.

I thought Taundry had a good second half. He did very well with that challenge you mention, but he only needed to make that block because he hadn't picked up his player, one of three or four occasions that happened in the first half. Didn't notice that in the second half.

I was surprised how bad-tempered and niggly the game was.

It's the first game I've seen this season and I thought there was a lot to be optimistic about in that performance. All of the new boys did well, and I though Grigg had a good game on his own up front.

Plenty of nice passing football on show but I'd like us to be a bit more direct in front of goal.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:10 pm

what a good debut by Nicky Featherstone, kept it well good passing .... pleased to say all the new guys played well

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Im Griggs biggest critic so here goes my say on his performances:

Awful in the air, should have scored with the shot that led to the goal, just needed abit of composure to dink it over the keeper. The two other shots in the 1st half were relatively comfortable saves for any half decent keeper. The 2nd half half-volley and shot across goal should both atleast have forced the keeper into a save. All in all he lacks the composure a good striker has but I was pleased to see him get afew shots away and be in the position to do so. 6/10 for me with a 'promising but could do better'

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Pretty much agree with many of the other comments. Feather stone and purkiss I was quite surprised. Up front not good at all. If we stick with grigg up front all season. Disaster ...... His performances I would describe as pedestrian and lumbering. Nice win but still at least 3 players short of a half decent squad to be competitive in league 1. This coming week is vital on securing those said players. Not sure if we will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Hereford would've really fudge these up.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Sadders wrote:Not sure If I was at the same game but I'll keep it short and sweet. Good 1st half performance, poor and very boring performance in the 2nd. Cuvelier a class apart in the 1st half, Hemmings looked very lively and took his goal well, Butler was solid and Chambers played very well in the middle. Could have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time. 2nd half was poor, not a single out of my chair moment, no aggression, no width - did we have a shot on target? Personally thought the back 4 looked very ropey at times, particularly the right hand side - Purkiss looks like he's running through quick sand, pretty slow and clumsy looking, hope we sign Chambers or play Taundry over him. Grigg generally very poor - perhaps I should sign up and run around for 80 minutes whilst contributing precisely no attacking intent or hold up play and then get a standing ovation as I leave the pitch. Weird what some football fans decifer between good and bad, but if we persist with Grigg up top alone, we'l only be going way - DOWN.

Overall positive tonight, we've beaten a Brentford side who were missing a few key players and had 10 men without ever being really tested or cut open. We're in the 2nd round and the performances and general formation we played in the 1st half was very pleasing on the eye - something we've not had for a long time.

Think we went to different games as i completly disagree with everything you've said especially as Grigg could have had a least 3.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Very pleasing result delighted we are in the second round .

onwards and upwards

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 pm

andy22 wrote:
Sadders wrote:Not sure If I was at the same game but I'll keep it short and sweet. Good 1st half performance, poor and very boring performance in the 2nd. Cuvelier a class apart in the 1st half, Hemmings looked very lively and took his goal well, Butler was solid and Chambers played very well in the middle. Could have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time. 2nd half was poor, not a single out of my chair moment, no aggression, no width - did we have a shot on target? Personally thought the back 4 looked very ropey at times, particularly the right hand side - Purkiss looks like he's running through quick sand, pretty slow and clumsy looking, hope we sign Chambers or play Taundry over him. Grigg generally very poor - perhaps I should sign up and run around for 80 minutes whilst contributing precisely no attacking intent or hold up play and then get a standing ovation as I leave the pitch. Weird what some football fans decifer between good and bad, but if we persist with Grigg up top alone, we'l only be going way - DOWN.

Think we went to different games as i completly disagree with everything you've said especially as Grigg could have had a least 3.

I guess I'll be seeing the 3 goals he scored later on the TV highlights then?
Either that or the 3 AMAZING blockbuster saves Moore in the Brentford goalkeeper made?
He had 3 efforts, 1 he should of buried, 1 volley he should have at least forced the keeper into a save like a good forward does and another 1 that he did okay with.

I'm not a Grigg hater, I just can't stand him being used upfront alone as a supposed Target man, he's slow, lumbering, very paceless, weak, has no threat about him, can't hold the ball up, takes 85 minutes to win a header. I mean really come on - he might be good playing off a Macken and so on, but that's about it.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:54 pm

To be fair, if Ledesma (last season) had the two efforts Grigg had in the second half, and with the exact same outcome(s)... everyone would be raving about his performance, that he's firing shots in on goal. It seems Will Grigg's face just doesn't fit with some, which is a shame.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Never saw any sense in releasing Macken. Exactly what u need with pacy players running off his flick ons. I think all the adjectives Ive already heard used re grigg. Lumbering, pedestrian, slow. No threat whatsoever especially in the air where he's useless !!!!!!!! Smith has gotta have recognised this surely. We can't go into league 1 with him as a lone striker. Or can we ??????????????????????????????????????????

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Well done lads... promising start especially as there could be more signings waiting. Can we dare dream of a cup run...?

The usual doom and gloom mongers are quiet but i'm sure they'll pop up as soon as we do badly.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Sadders wrote:
andy22 wrote:

I guess I'll be seeing the 3 goals he scored later on the TV highlights then?
Either that or the 3 AMAZING blockbuster saves Moore in the Brentford goalkeeper made?
He had 3 efforts, 1 he should of buried, 1 volley he should have at least forced the keeper into a save like a good forward does and another 1 that he did okay with.

I'm not a Grigg hater, I just can't stand him being used upfront alone as a supposed Target man, he's slow, lumbering, very paceless, weak, has no threat about him, can't hold the ball up, takes 85 minutes to win a header. I mean really come on - he might be good playing off a Macken and so on, but that's about it.

Well 3 of us in this house went to the game and all of us completly disagree with all you' ve said. Perhaps you we're watching a different Grigg. !!!!!!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Never saw any sense in releasing Macken. Exactly what u need with pacy players running off his flick ons. I think all the adjectives Ive already heard used re grigg. Lumbering, pedestrian, slow. No threat whatsoever especially in the air where he's useless !!!!!!!! Smith has gotta have recognised this surely. We can't go into league 1 with him as a lone striker. Or can we ??????????????????????????????????????????

His legs were well and truly gone you negative prat plus he'd be on a fat wage, but don't let that cloud your pathetic view on things.

Grigg was neat and tidy today, I'm not his biggest fan but he was OK overall, never be a target man though, shambles in the air and zero presence. Few more signings though and we could be on to a much better season this time around, where we can all moan about finishing 16th or something. :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Happydays2122 wrote:Never saw any sense in releasing Macken. Exactly what u need with pacy players running off his flick ons. I think all the adjectives Ive already heard used re grigg. Lumbering, pedestrian, slow. No threat whatsoever especially in the air where he's useless !!!!!!!! Smith has gotta have recognised this surely. We can't go into league 1 with him as a lone striker. Or can we ??????????????????????????????????????????

His legs were well and truly gone you negative prat plus he'd be on a fat wage, but don't let that cloud your pathetic view on things.

Grigg was neat and tidy today, I'm not his biggest fan but he was OK overall, never be a target man though, shambles in the air and zero presence. Few more signings though and we could be on to a much better season this time around, where we can all moan about finishing 16th or something. :D

I thought Grigg had a good game and well deserved the applause w hen he went off - which was enthusiastic enough to show most people thought he did well.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:47 pm

For the first time in about 10 years, I didn't go to any of the pre-season games so I was intrigued as much as anything going into today's game. To be honest, I was pretty impressed with the work Smith seems to have done over the summer - albeit early days.

Crucially, the formation was spot-on. Featherstone and Chambers protected the back four but also made themselves available for the ball an awful lot. Having the two of them alongside each other allowed Chambers to do the nitty-gritty that we know he can do well, whilst Featherstone's distribution was generally excellent. They also freed up Cuvelier to get further forward, which allowed him to play Grigg in in the build-up to the goal. The only disappointment for me was our unnecessary switch to 4-4-2 in the second half, which didn't seem to get the best of anyone.

As far as the back four goes, we looked a little shaky at times, but nothing to have nightmares about. A player so blatantly right footed shouldn't play at left back, but hopefully Taundry was just keeping that spot warm for Jordan Stewart, who I have no doubt will link up with Hemmings really well down that left hand side. On the new boys, Holden was surprisingly strong, both in the air and playing the ball out from the back. Purkiss is a carbon copy of Lee Beevers to put things simply. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Expect Taundry to be first choice right back over the longer term though.

We also, for the first time in a good while, made a concerted and well-practised effort to keep the ball on the floor at all costs, which certainly helped the likes of Paterson. Despite the fact that people still seem unwilling to give Grigg credit, he was as effective today as I've seen him as a lone striker. Won nothing in the air thanks to being about a foot shorter than their centre halves, but kept the ball and made some really intelligent runs at times. Forced an exceptional tackle from their last man in the move that led to Hemmings' goal and saw a good effort flash just past the post in the last few minutes. A true focal point up front still has to be a priority, but Grigg didn't play badly by any means.

All in all, I'm just looking forward to seeing how this side develops as they play together more and more. It'd be naive to suggest that we should expect big things, but it also goes some way towards underlining how foolish some people have been in writing the team off before a ball was even kicked. There's definite signs of promise in there.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:For the first time in about 10 years, I didn't go to any of the pre-season games so I was intrigued as much as anything going into today's game. To be honest, I was pretty impressed with the work Smith seems to have done over the summer - albeit early days.

Crucially, the formation was spot-on. Featherstone and Chambers protected the back four but also made themselves available for the ball an awful lot. Having the two of them alongside each other allowed Chambersnto do the nitty-gritty that we know he can do well, whilst Featherstone's distribution was generally excellent. They also freed up Cuvelier to get further forward, which allowed him to play Grigg in in the build-up to the goal. The only disappointment for me was our unnecessary switch to 4-4-2 in the second half, which didn't seem to get the best of anyone.

As far as the back four goes, we looked a little shaky at times, but nothing to have nightmares about. A player so blatantly right footed shouldn't play at left back, but hopefully Taundry was just keeping that spot warm for Jordan Stewart, who I have no doubt will link up with Hemmings really well down that left hand side. On the new boys, Holden was surprisingly strong, both in the air and playing the ball out from the back. Purkiss is a carbon copy of Lee Beevers to out things simply. And hat's not necessarily a bad thing. Expect Taundry to be first choice right back over the longer term though.

We also, for the first time in a good while, made a concerted and well-practised effort to keep the ball on the floor at all costs, which certainly helped the likes of Paterson. Despite the fact that people still seem unwilling to give Grigg credit, he was as effective today as I've seen him as a lone striker. Won nothing in the air thanks to being about a foot shorter than their centre halves, but kept the ball and made some really intelligent runs at times. Forced an exceptional tackle from their last man in the move that led to Hemmings' goal and saw a good effort flash just past the post in the last few minutes. A true focal point up front still has to be a priority, but Grigg didn't play badly by any means.

All in all, I'm just looking forward to seeing how this side develops as they play together more and more. It'd be naive to suggest that we should expect big things, but it also goes some way towards underlining how foolish some people have been in writing the team off before a ball was even kicked. There's definite signs of promise in there.

Great summing up

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 pm

tinned wrote:
walsallfcconnor wrote:W 1 - 1 B (AET) - 5-4 Walsall on pens :wink: 4203 (121 landaners)

Over 4,000 home fans??? No chance. Closer to 3k than 4k easily.

I was wildly optimistic with 3k in the end.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:For the first time in about 10 years, I didn't go to any of the pre-season games so I was intrigued as much as anything going into today's game. To be honest, I was pretty impressed with the work Smith seems to have done over the summer - albeit early days.

Crucially, the formation was spot-on. Featherstone and Chambers protected the back four but also made themselves available for the ball an awful lot. Having the two of them alongside each other allowed Chambersnto do the nitty-gritty that we know he can do well, whilst Featherstone's distribution was generally excellent. They also freed up Cuvelier to get further forward, which allowed him to play Grigg in in the build-up to the goal. The only disappointment for me was our unnecessary switch to 4-4-2 in the second half, which didn't seem to get the best of anyone.

As far as the back four goes, we looked a little shaky at times, but nothing to have nightmares about. A player so blatantly right footed shouldn't play at left back, but hopefully Taundry was just keeping that spot warm for Jordan Stewart, who I have no doubt will link up with Hemmings really well down that left hand side. On the new boys, Holden was surprisingly strong, both in the air and playing the ball out from the back. Purkiss is a carbon copy of Lee Beevers to out things simply. And hat's not necessarily a bad thing. Expect Taundry to be first choice right back over the longer term though.

Great summing up

Spot on. :D :D :D

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Most satisfying. Chambers was mom by a distance imo, but it was a genuine team performance. Also most impressed by Grigg - can't remember a better allround performance by him - and the ball useage by Featherstone.

Lovely to see the ball on the ground. Hopefully the spectre of dogface has finally been staked into its grave. Pleasing.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Whitters wrote:
Ken Barlow wrote:First competitive game of the season, personally I am looking forward to it.

2-1 to Walsall.

I reckon (without knowing anything about Brentford and knowing little more about how our lot will go in a competitive match) that we will shade it 1-0.
Go fellas!

Let me know if you need any other predictions (guesses)....

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Some positive comments on Grigg... hopefully they are correct as he is quickly becoming the player some want to knock.

This is his season and lets hope he take his chance. I'll always back a 21 year old home grown lad... especially as the likes of Nicholls had many more chances before we cut our losses.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Whitters wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Ken Barlow wrote:First competitive game of the season, personally I am looking forward to it.

2-1 to Walsall.

I reckon (without knowing anything about Brentford and knowing little more about how our lot will go in a competitive match) that we will shade it 1-0.
Go fellas!

Let me know if you need any other predictions (guesses)....

I'll have the lottery numbers for next week if you've got em. :D

JaySaddler

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Dirty scrappy game with bad tempers all round! Although the push into the photographer and the ball in the back was fun to watch.

We were the better side 1st half but struggled at the start of the 2nd half, they had 5 or 6 good opportunities which they shoulda put away!

Glad we are through! 2nd round in 2 cups :P what does this mean!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Yay! Best team in the world.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season