Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:For the first time in about 10 years, I didn't go to any of the pre-season games so I was intrigued as much as anything going into today's game. To be honest, I was pretty impressed with the work Smith seems to have done over the summer - albeit early days.

Crucially, the formation was spot-on. Featherstone and Chambers protected the back four but also made themselves available for the ball an awful lot. Having the two of them alongside each other allowed Chambers to do the nitty-gritty that we know he can do well, whilst Featherstone's distribution was generally excellent. They also freed up Cuvelier to get further forward, which allowed him to play Grigg in in the build-up to the goal. The only disappointment for me was our unnecessary switch to 4-4-2 in the second half, which didn't seem to get the best of anyone.

As far as the back four goes, we looked a little shaky at times, but nothing to have nightmares about. A player so blatantly right footed shouldn't play at left back, but hopefully Taundry was just keeping that spot warm for Jordan Stewart, who I have no doubt will link up with Hemmings really well down that left hand side. On the new boys, Holden was surprisingly strong, both in the air and playing the ball out from the back. Purkiss is a carbon copy of Lee Beevers to put things simply. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Expect Taundry to be first choice right back over the longer term though.

We also, for the first time in a good while, made a concerted and well-practised effort to keep the ball on the floor at all costs, which certainly helped the likes of Paterson. Despite the fact that people still seem unwilling to give Grigg credit, he was as effective today as I've seen him as a lone striker. Won nothing in the air thanks to being about a foot shorter than their centre halves, but kept the ball and made some really intelligent runs at times. Forced an exceptional tackle from their last man in the move that led to Hemmings' goal and saw a good effort flash just past the post in the last few minutes. A true focal point up front still has to be a priority, but Grigg didn't play badly by any means.

All in all, I'm just looking forward to seeing how this side develops as they play together more and more. It'd be naive to suggest that we should expect big things, but it also goes some way towards underlining how foolish some people have been in writing the team off before a ball was even kicked. There's definite signs of promise in there.

Execeptional? Was a good save but helped by the fact Grigg has no composure and any good forward would have dinked it over the keeper rather than just try and bladder it.

Should have got the effort on target, no excuse not to just like the half volley.

I agree

Garbinho

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I was at the game today and have to admit I was mildly surprised. Firstly I think Hemmings and Featherstone look like very good signings. Hemmings because he looks threatening everytime he gets the ball and Featherstone because he didnt seem to waste it.

Secondly because I thought Grigg looked like he played to our tactics perfectly. I didnt go to many games last season so I'm not coming at this with previous against him. I think his movement off the ball won us the game. I'm saying this because the goal that won us the game was from a chance he created. His movement was especially noticeable when Cuvelier picked the ball up, and he seemed to find space probably because he knew he'd be found - two I can remember are once for the goal and once when Cuvelier played a 40yard diagonal out to him on the left wing. If he can keep doing that especially with the three supporting players he'll have round him (Hemmings, Cuvelier and Paterson) I think we will do well this season because if they can find him he'll help create chances. If I'm honest I think he was my MoM. (I'll get slated for that). He will never win many headers but if we play proper football he will hold his own.

All in all I think we played well and played FOOTBALL, but I'd have preferred them to have kept 11 on the pitch to have a real test before the league starts next week! Also Purkiss needs replacing ASAP because although Taundry is about a foot smaller, they aimed all their GK's at Purkiss probably because he looks guano and there for the beating. Can't see him lasting a season as first choice.

(Think this is my first post so be gentle!)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm sitting hear laughing at the Brentford forum, various few saying we're poor on the basis of where we finished last season and they shouldn't be losing to the likes of us, again can only be based on where we finished last season. Christ, there's me thinking we've got quite a different side and the League season hasn't even begun yet. Like me saying, "Brentford are in for a tough season after losing to us in the LC, we narrowly escaped relegation last season so they'll definitely be down there, no doubt about it."

Cannot stand people who predict shite before anything's even happened, we could finish in the PO's for all Brentford fans and we know, much like some tragic people on here writing players off before seeing them a few times, all bullshit and boils my piss.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Garbinho wrote:I was at the game today and have to admit I was mildly surprised. Firstly I think Hemmings and Featherstone look like very good signings. Hemmings because he looks threatening everytime he gets the ball and Featherstone because he didnt seem to waste it.

Secondly because I thought Grigg looked like he played to our tactics perfectly. I didnt go to many games last season so I'm not coming at this with previous against him. I think his movement off the ball won us the game. I'm saying this because the goal that won us the game was from a chance he created. His movement was especially noticeable when Cuvelier picked the ball up, and he seemed to find space probably because he knew he'd be found - two I can remember are once for the goal and once when Cuvelier played a 40yard diagonal out to him on the left wing. If he can keep doing that especially with the three supporting players he'll have round him (Hemmings, Cuvelier and Paterson) I think we will do well this season because if they can find him he'll help create chances. If I'm honest I think he was my MoM. (I'll get slated for that). He will never win many headers but if we play proper football he will hold his own.

All in all I think we played well and played FOOTBALL, but I'd have preferred them to have kept 11 on the pitch to have a real test before the league starts next week! Also Purkiss needs replacing ASAP because although Taundry is about a foot smaller, they aimed all their GK's at Purkiss probably because he looks guano and there for the beating. Can't see him lasting a season as first choice.

Welcome to uts :D

Garbinho

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Garbinho wrote:I was at the game today and have to admit I was mildly surprised. Firstly I think Hemmings and Featherstone look like very good signings. Hemmings because he looks threatening everytime he gets the ball and Featherstone because he didnt seem to waste it.

Cheers! Been a fan for 25 of my 30 years, and a lurker on these boards for years. Just waiting until I get ripped to shreds or somehow start a Bonser argument (easy I know)!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Garbinho wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Cheers! Been a fan for 25 of my 30 years, and a lurker on these boards for years. Just waiting until I get ripped to shreds or somehow start a Bonser argument (easy I know)!

If you want an argument either say Grigg is an excellent player (not crticising just sharing a joke), say Bonser is our saviour or say your a fitness freak and hate chips :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:10 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

Excellent first post too!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 am

I thought the 1st half today was nice and their was definite and has been definite improvements, we no longer hoof the ball - it seems we're going for an all MK Dons style of tippy tappy passing football which pleases me, I'd rather see a relegation battle played through football instead of aimless, boring and lifeless hoofball with the same outcome. 2nd half was last season esque, no chances carved really bar the odd long shot and shots from tight angles, no direction, no oomph, no pace in the play - we took our foot off the gas and I spent most of the second half cursing the teams lack of attacking intent, wanting the final whistle to come and so on. Purkiss looked a much worse version of Bee Leevers in all honesty - clumsier, slower and far less composed on the ball, he got skinned numerous times when he was the 100% sure favourite to win the ball. Grigg was average at best, but that's only my opinion, wonder what people would have said if Grigg missed his chance and Hemmings didn't fire the rebound in, or if the game finished 0-0 - can almost guarantee it'd have been along the lines of 'with Grigg upfront we have no attacking intent, no quality, no-one to hold it up' - football, its a bloody fickle world. Give me a contract, i'll run for the cause - I'll lap up the applause at the end too and the best bit yet is you'l all pay my wages. :P

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 am

Lets face it though, we have all been here before with this optimism.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 am

latviancheese wrote:Lets face it though, we have all been here before with this optimism.

Well yes, and why not, we are all Walsall fans, no point not thinking this might be our year - could turn into realism and we SMASH the league, easy done if players gel fantastically.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:03 am

Darth Vader wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Lets face it though, we have all been here before with this optimism.

Well yes, and why not, we are all Walsall fans, no point not thinking this might be our year - could turn into realism and we SMASH the league, easy done if players gel fantastically.

I dont give a cack really, i just like Walsall Fc.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 am

We'm gewin up!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 am

WFC_Rob wrote:For the first time in about 10 years, I didn't go to any of the pre-season games so I was intrigued as much as anything going into today's game. To be honest, I was pretty impressed with the work Smith seems to have done over the summer - albeit early days.

Crucially, the formation was spot-on. Featherstone and Chambers protected the back four but also made themselves available for the ball an awful lot. Having the two of them alongside each other allowed Chambers to do the nitty-gritty that we know he can do well, whilst Featherstone's distribution was generally excellent. They also freed up Cuvelier to get further forward, which allowed him to play Grigg in in the build-up to the goal. The only disappointment for me was our unnecessary switch to 4-4-2 in the second half, which didn't seem to get the best of anyone.

As far as the back four goes, we looked a little shaky at times, but nothing to have nightmares about. A player so blatantly right footed shouldn't play at left back, but hopefully Taundry was just keeping that spot warm for Jordan Stewart, who I have no doubt will link up with Hemmings really well down that left hand side. On the new boys, Holden was surprisingly strong, both in the air and playing the ball out from the back. Purkiss is a carbon copy of Lee Beevers to put things simply. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Expect Taundry to be first choice right back over the longer term though.

We also, for the first time in a good while, made a concerted and well-practised effort to keep the ball on the floor at all costs, which certainly helped the likes of Paterson. Despite the fact that people still seem unwilling to give Grigg credit, he was as effective today as I've seen him as a lone striker. Won nothing in the air thanks to being about a foot shorter than their centre halves, but kept the ball and made some really intelligent runs at times. Forced an exceptional tackle from their last man in the move that led to Hemmings' goal and saw a good effort flash just past the post in the last few minutes. A true focal point up front still has to be a priority, but Grigg didn't play badly by any means.

All in all, I'm just looking forward to seeing how this side develops as they play together more and more. It'd be naive to suggest that we should expect big things, but it also goes some way towards underlining how foolish some people have been in writing the team off before a ball was even kicked. There's definite signs of promise in there.

Great summing up.

Only thing I'd add is a worry that Smith's tinkering in the second half could have cost us. Think it was in the FA Cup last season when we'd used all subs, Manny got injured and we ended up seeing the game out with ten men. The attempt to fiddle the game away by using subs could have really hurt us yesterday. Say if that bad tackle on Jones has lead to him not being able to continue, then in the time left (5mins or so) we'd have conceded? Ten vs ten and no options. I'm a big Smith fan but still worry about this type of mid-match management,

So, overall very pleasing, the above comments about the full-backs are spot on and I too was impressed with Featherstone and how he and Chambers played together. Hemmings, loads of pace and Brandy looks like he's got pace to burn too. Lots to work on, but hey as others have said - we're in the second round of two cups, so some understated optimism is due.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 am

PT wrote:

Great summing up.

Only thing I'd add is a worry that Smith's tinkering in the second half could have cost us. Think it was in the FA Cup last season when we'd used all subs, Manny got injured and we ended up seeing the game out with ten men. The attempt to fiddle the game away by using subs could have really hurt us yesterday. Say if that bad tackle on Jones has lead to him not being able to continue, then in the time left (5mins or so) we'd have conceded? Ten vs ten and no options. I'm a big Smith fan but still worry about this type of mid-match management,

So, overall very pleasing, the above comments about the full-backs are spot on and I too was impressed with Featherstone and how he and Chambers played together. Hemmings, loads of pace and Brandy looks like he's got pace to burn too. Lots to work on, but hey as others have said - we're in the second round of two cups, so some understated optimism is due.

The only quest ion I'd have about the subs is why go to 4 4 2, when 4 2 3 1 was working so well? I assume he wanted to keep the three centre backs busy, after they went 3 4 2, but it just handed them the initiative in midfield. I though it would have been better to carry on and use the spaces wide, especially as it involved taking off Hemmings, who they were terrified of.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
PT wrote:

Great summing up.

The only quest ion I'd have about the subs is why go to 4 4 2, when 4 2 3 1 was working so well? I assume he wanted to keep the three centre backs busy, after they went 3 4 2, but it just handed them the initiative in midfield. I though it would have been better to carry on and use the spaces wide, especially as it involved taking off Hemmings, who they were terrified of.

DS only thinks formations are important at set pieces, i'm by no means the cleverest of people but that statement still baffles me :?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 am

Strange, considering he did change it, putting Bowerman up front with Grigg and dropping Cuvelier deeper. The formations comment looks like a red herring, or he didn't mean it that way.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 am

I agree Neil. I think Flo was asked to play in three different positions during the flurry of substitutions. Reminded me of times last season when we had two right-backs on for a spell as he tried to manipulate time away. It just leads to confusion, unbalance and kills any momentum we may have had. I get why Hemmings came off (on a booking and the ref seemed to be getting more and more eccentric), but a stright swap for Fabien was the obvious choice and I just wouldn't have used my third sub for the reasons I stated earlier.

Don't want to start bashing Smith because I spent most of last season defending him and on yesterday's performance he may have made some shrewd changes. He's assembled a young squad who, it seems, are prepared to get the ball down and express themselves - so quite exciting. I just hope he can clear his thinking in minutes 45 to 90 during the game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 am

PT wrote:I agree Neil. I think Flo was asked to play in three different positions during the flurry of substitutions. Reminded me of times last season when we had two right-backs on for a spell as he tried to manipulate time away. It just leads to confusion, unbalance and kills any momentum we may have had. I get why Hemmings came off (on a booking and the ref seemed to be getting more and more eccentric), but a stright swap for Fabien was the obvious choice and I just wouldn't have used my third sub for the reasons I stated earlier.

Don't want to start bashing Smith because I spent most of last season defending him and on yesterday's performance he may have made some shrewd changes. He's assembled a young squad who, it seems, are prepared to get the ball down and express themselves - so quite exciting. I just hope he can clear his thinking in minutes 45 to 90 during the game.

Yes, I agree about the change. I'd have made the same one, although without Hemmings' booking, it would have been Paterson for me. I am also surprised at the criticism of Purkiss. Did a job and looked like adequate back up (our still trying to sign J Chambers suggests that's all he is). Pace is his problem.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 am

I imagine Smith wanted us to kill the game off, by bringing on another striker. He read the game wrong, it happens.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:01 am

As proven strikers cost money we are not going to get one,thus not scoring many goals my wish is that we sign Jordan Stewart and James chambers to bolster the defence,from what I have seen of Featherstone he looks a great signing,(might get us out of jail a few times).

JeffPeron

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 am

What impressed me was the ability of the players to find space to recieve the ball. It made it much easier to pass the ball comfortbaly. I think Smith wants to become El Bosque and play like the Spanish (with no strikers!!)

Liked the look of Featherstone, always looked to recieve the ball, took it off our back four and played a simple pass - Football!!!

Midfield look much better with Chambers and Featherstone anchoring.

Solid start!!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:38 am

Agree with you both, thought Featherstone looked very impressive

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:43 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

Execeptional? Was a good save but helped by the fact Grigg has no composure and any good forward would have dinked it over the keeper rather than just try and bladder it.

Should have got the effort on target, no excuse not to just like the half volley.

I agree

Not quite sure why a League One striker would ever try a lob from there, why you're so reluctant to give Grigg credit for the role he played in the goal, or why you're still so intent on slagging him off. Each to their own though.

SadsMad

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 am

Went to the match and thought overall it was a good performance.

The first half particularly I thought we were outstanding. I was particularly impressed by Flo and Featherstone who both had great matches. I also thought the pairing of Holden and Butler at CB was very good as they already seem to have a good understanding of each other's game. I think Ashley Hemmings is a great prospect, a pacy player is just what we need.

The second half for me was OK but considering they ad 10 men I do think we lost the control of the game and whilst I understand they were going to come at us in the 2nd half I do think we lost possession due to sloppy passing rather too much.

I've read the Grigg comments with interests and everyone seems to have different points of view. Yes, he had three shots on target but when you say he could have had three, he didn't score and that's precisely the problem. For me, he just ran around for 90 minutes not contributing too much at all. I'd like to think that he will come good however if we play him like we did yesterday by himself all year I'm concerned. I will add to this that I saw him play at Burton and wasn't too impressed with him there either. I just hope he comes good.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

PT wrote:I agree Neil. I think Flo was asked to play in three different positions during the flurry of substitutions.

You're right - he went from having a free role just behind Grigg, to playing on the left of a four-man midfield, to playing alongside Chambers in the middle.

I'm not going to start criticising Smith too much just yet as he got his starting team and formation spot-on, but if there's one thing he needs to do this season, it's play Cuvelier in a position where he can hurt the opposition. It's rare to see Walsall have a player who is probably one of the best in the league, but Flo certainly fits that bill. Playing him one of a pair in a 4-4-2 or playing him on the left is a self-inflicted handicap.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:57 am

We've won a cup match. Errm ... What happens next?

Ken Barlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 am

Pedagogue wrote:We've won a cup match. Errm ... What happens next?

Win a league game?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 am

Pedagogue wrote:We've won a cup match. Errm ... What happens next?

A trip to Villa Park, week commencing 27th August? :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:08 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

I agree

Not quite sure why a League One striker would ever try a lob from there, why you're so reluctant to give Grigg credit for the role he played in the goal, or why you're still so intent on slagging him off. Each to their own though.

Because he's rubbish, and thats not me slagging him off thats just my honest opinion to which I am entitled to air.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 am

Let's see where we are by Xmas. That's my view

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season