Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (H) 11.08.12 - Capital One Cup 1st Round

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 am

Happydays2122 wrote:Let's see where we are by Xmas. That's my view

With this squad after watching them against WBA and Brentford I cannot see why we cannot be in the top half. Get Stewart at LB and that would be a major signing, would rather have Manton back with WBA helping with his wages rather than Chambers and that would allow us to try and find a goal scorer

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 am

Why would we need Mantom? We have 3 good centre midfielders as it is. That is unless we are going to do a Spain and play 6 midfielders. Yes Mantom is a great player and deserves to do well, but at the moment we don't need him like we did last season.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:58 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Why would we need Mantom? We have 3 good centre midfielders as it is. That is unless we are going to do a Spain and play 6 midfielders. Yes Mantom is a great player and deserves to do well, but at the moment we don't need him like we did last season.

1. Mantom is better than Featherstone and Chambers anyday of the week

2. What happens when we get injuries and suspensions?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am

Replace a guy who was a shoo-in for MOM yesterday.

Thank Christ you aren't in charge of our budget.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Replace a guy who was a shoo-in for MOM yesterday.

Who? If your refering to Chambers when did I say I would replace him? please point that out to me. All I said was Mantom is better than Chambers and Featherstone. In terms of ability the perfrence order would be: Cuvelier, Mantom, Chambers and then Featherstone, how does that mean Chambers get replaced?

Good job your not our manager if you think our midfield is going to survive with no injuries and suspensions the whole season with no back up plan :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am

Well firstly we need a striker more than anything after filling in (hopefully) the full back situation.

Why would we need Mantom yet? If we have him on a long term loan, maybe, but we don't actually need him. Yet.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 am

Agree completely about needing a striker, but If Chamber decides to do a Middlesboro again or any other player for that matter it would make us so light in numbers in the middle of the park. I for 1 do not like the prospect of Taundry having to be pushed in there for 3 games. Would rather try and get Mantom onloan now for 6 months or more and then we can be safe in the knowledge we have Featherstone in the wings whos shown he's a capable midfielder.

With a midfield of Hemmings, Cuvelier, Chambers, Mantom and Paterson on paper that would look like one of the best if not the best midfield in the league.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:49 am

Would happily see mantom in the club . He did watch the Albion game with his pretty blonde girlfriend ( not relevant but she was ) but a striker is higher on the wish list for me. Not easy though not even Man U can get their van man

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 am

ihatethecorps wrote:

Who? If your refering to Chambers when did I say I would replace him? please point that out to me. All I said was Mantom is better than Chambers and Featherstone. In terms of ability the perfrence order would be: Cuvelier, Mantom, Chambers and then Featherstone, how does that mean Chambers get replaced?

Good job your not our manager if you think our midfield is going to survive with no injuries and suspensions the whole season with no back up plan :roll:

Sorry, but there was nothing wrong with Featherstone's performance either. I agree, Mantom wouldn't be the highest priority at the moment

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree with ihatethecorpe in regards to Grigg, but I personally think he'd be a waste of budget right now. Chambers was probably my MOTM yesterday slightly behind Flo. I was also very impressed with him after the MK Dons match on the last day, which makes me wonder whether all he needed last sesaon was the correct midfieler next to him to flourish a bit more. Towards the end of last season when he was injured and we played with Mantom and Cuvelier as the CM partnership my only gripe with them was how exposed the defence looked, see Rochdale and Exeter away for example - complete collapses with 3 and 4 goals scored in 1 half or a short amount of time. When I do think Mantom will come in handy is when Cuvelier goes back to Stoke in January, from what I can gather they are doing us the favour letting him be here and if he has the season I think he will, then other bigger, better clubs offering 1st team positions will be sniffing around.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Sorry, but there was nothing wrong with Featherstone's performance either. I agree, Mantom wouldn't be the highest priority at the moment

Where did I say Featherstones performance wasnt any good? Had tips from the Labour spin doctors Neil?

Lets hope im not poved right and Injuries and suspensions do not come and bite us on the bum. Watch eveyone grumble if Taundry has to be put in midfield as cover, and you can bet your bottom dollar I will say I told you so.

Get Stewart, Mantom and a 'goalscorer' and we will have a great squad let alone starting line up and who knows by Xmas we could be pushing for a play off place, why settle for survival or mid table.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:25 pm

You're not getting it. We don't need him YET.

A good player, yes. A useful fella to call up if we're in need of a central midfielder, damn right.

Needed right now, this very second, no.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:27 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Where did I say Featherstones performance wasnt any good? Had tips from the Labour spin doctors Neil?

Lets hope im not poved right and Injuries and suspensions do not come and bite us on the bum. Watch eveyone grumble if Taundry has to be put in midfield as cover, and you can bet your bottom dollar I will say I told you so.

Get Stewart, Mantom and a 'goalscorer' and we will have a great squad let alone starting line up and who knows by Xmas we could be pushing for a play off place, why settle for survival or mid table.

You said he was fourth in line in the midfield. I thought he was much better than that suggests and, what's more, the mix worked really well. Mantom would be a waste of resources at the moment, as midfield just doesn't look like a priority after yesterday. We have also got other options as well. If Stewart or Chambers arrive, they can also both play in midfield.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

You said he was fourth in line in the midfield. I thought he was much better than that suggests and, what's more, the mix worked really well. Mantom would be a waste of resources at the moment, as midfield just doesn't look like a priority after yesterday. We have also got other options as well. If Stewart or Chambers arrive, they can also both play in midfield.

Of the said players mentoned he would be 4th choice (that does mean to say I thought he was rubbish) and if most people had to choose im sure they would agree. Stewart is the main signing we need as he showed against WBA he's got abit of quality, then followed by a striker, the other Chambers brother is the least of our worries as i'm pretty sure he would blow a reasonable size hole in our budget which we do not need to spend considering we have Taundry and Purkis who can both cover that position.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Don't need Mantom yet, budget can be used elsewhere.

Maybe when Flo goes and it's impossible to get him back, jump in then.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Don't need Mantom yet, budget can be used elsewhere.

Exactly

Ken Barlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Don't need Mantom yet, budget can be used elsewhere.

I agree with Darth.

For me, priority will be a striker. Id then go for Stewart and/or Chambers, depending on the budget.

Chambers, Flo and Featherstone seems decent enough. Of course we will lose some to injury and suspensions (Chambers mostly) but that is when we use the loan market. But, if the budget would allow for a striker, Stewart, Chambers and Mantom, then I would look into it but for me, Manton is not priority.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Striker and a left back surely has to be the priority rather than another midfielder?

Good to get the season underway with a win; it sounds like we played some decent stuff and hope that we can build on it with at least a point from our first league game next Saturday.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Very encouraging signs yesterday. A striker able to hold up the ball is still a must for me. Can't see us scoring enough goals over a season otherwise.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Agree with you both, thought Featherstone looked very impressive

He did! Everytime he received the ball he was in acres of space! Sign of a good player.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 pm

I hope we stick with 4231 / 433 and don't go into our shell and revert to channel hoofing if we lose a couple of games.

I am sure if we continue playing with a good philosophy then we will reap the rewards - and entertain the supporters.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:I hope we stick with 4231 / 433 and don't go into our shell and revert to channel hoofing if we lose a couple of games.

I am sure if we continue playing with a good philosophy then we will reap the rewards - and entertain the supporters.

I think it worked well enough yesterday, having the huge advantage of getting Flo on the ball where it hurts the opposition. Chambers, with Featherstone's presence, also was able to play a little further forward and was winning possession in their half

ExLandlord (HUFC)

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Good to see [s]our reserves[/s] you getting off to a decent start. Just a shame our third team got whipped 4-o at Dirty Leeds.

I still maintain that, over the season, Purkiss won't let you down and that Feathers will run his socks off for you. Given that Purks was not first choice at fullback it just shows how crazy our management was before RO'K arrived. We should never have been eveen close to going down if we'd been managed properly.

:D

WelshWalsallBen
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 pm

All in all pretty pleased only gripe wish it was for 3 points.

Still think we need at least 1 striker.. Grof did really well. Butler still quality hope I am proved wrong this season. On this display I am more positive. Do get a tad concerned when we make subs and seem to loose the plot majority of the time. Don't know what it is maybe Im being harsh.

Roll on the Saturday 18th Aug lets get behind the boys will be making a trip from Wales so better be worth it :lol:

Forgot

Had a £30 free bet with WH put it on Walsall got back £78 8/5. UTS :D

If anyone likes a bet on Walsall sky bet has all the usualy stuff fs, ls corrrect scores. U can usually get Butler at 25/1 he scored a few last season

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 am

WelshWalsallBen wrote:All in all pretty pleased only gripe wish it was for 3 points.

Still think we need at least 1 striker.. Grof did really well. Butler still quality hope I am proved wrong this season. On this display I am more positive. Do get a tad concerned when we make subs and seem to loose the plot majority of the time. Don't know what it is maybe Im being harsh.

Roll on the Saturday 18th Aug lets get behind the boys will be making a trip from Wales so better be worth it :lol:

Forgot

Had a £30 free bet with WH put it on Walsall got back £78 8/5. UTS :D

If anyone likes a bet on Walsall sky bet has all the usualy stuff fs, ls corrrect scores. U can usually get Butler at 25/1 he scored a few last season

I had just under 3/1 for a Walsall win with William Hill a few days before. Stupid odds really. Wish id took them :(

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:57 am

Don't bet if you're skint already KnobCheese.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 am

It was a strange game, more like a pre-season friendly than a cup tie. For once Smith's tactics paid off. Playing five in midfield worked well with Cuvelier as the key man. Once they were down to ten men our midfield had the time and space to run the game.

As far the new players are concerned Holden and Purkiss did not impress. Featherstone looks like a new Taundry. He did OK, but I will want to see how he fares when the opposition match us in midfield. He was given time and space by Brentford, especially when they were down to ten men, but there will not be many matches this season when that happens.

Hemmings and Brandy are the sort of player I like to see in the side. They are quick and skilful and could be great signings. I wonder if Smith is concerned about playing the two of them at the same time.

Both the praise and criticism of Grigg seems wide of the mark. He did OK in a role that he is not suited to. He did cause the opposition some trouble from time to time and made a few chances for himself.

Who on earth thought that Paterson, who was the weakest of our five midfielders, deserved man of the match?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 am

Bernie wrote:It was a strange game, more like a pre-season friendly than a cup tie. For once Smith's tactics paid off. Playing five in midfield worked well with Cuvelier as the key man. Once they were down to ten men our midfield had the time and space to run the game.

As far the new players are concerned Holden and Purkiss did not impress. Featherstone looks like a new Taundry. He did OK, but I will want to see how he fares when the opposition match us in midfield. He was given time and space by Brentford, especially when they were down to ten men, but there will not be many matches this season when that happens.

Hemmings and Brandy are the sort of player I like to see in the side. They are quick and skilful and could be great signings. I wonder if Smith is concerned about playing the two of them at the same time.

Both the praise and criticism of Grigg seems wide of the mark. He did OK in a role that he is not suited to. He did cause the opposition some trouble from time to time and made a few chances for himself.

Who on earth thought that Paterson, who was the weakest of our five midfielders, deserved man of the match?

Paterson was excellent, as I said previous , a very mature peformance.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 am

ihatethecorps wrote:
Bernie wrote:It was a strange game, more like a pre-season friendly than a cup tie. For once Smith's tactics paid off. Playing five in midfield worked well with Cuvelier as the key man. Once they were down to ten men our midfield had the time and space to run the game.

Paterson was excellent, as I said previous , a very mature peformance.

You really were at a different game! Showed some nice touches and a few good passes, but suffered from his usual problem of making the wrong decisions too often. He is getting better, but needs a lot of work still.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:I hope we stick with 4231 / 433 and don't go into our shell and revert to channel hoofing if we lose a couple of games.

Absolutely agree; it will be an interesting test of Smith's principles if we struggle out of the traps.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season