Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

W.B.A (h) 07/08/12 - Friendly

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Re: W.B.A (h) 07/08/12 - Friendly

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

looks like we a bit punchless upfront again. Let's hope Deano sees that we need a target man - that ain't Grigg! C'mon Deano, spend the Gerrard money (I'm assuming we've got a sell-on clause) on a decent centre-forward and possibly another experienced centre-half (can we get Lancashire back?) because we are seriously lacking at both ends of the pitch.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Knew we'd miss Lancashire as soon as he was released.. If people don't think we miss him yet, I am pretty sure we will miss him at some point this season.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 pm

We don't need Nicholls to miss penalties!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:Knew we'd miss Lancashire as soon as he was released.. If people don't think we miss him yet, I am pretty sure we will miss him at some point this season.

Don't think he wanted to stay anyway, did he?

Agree that we could be lacking at either end of the pitch in the coming weeks. We'll see.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I enjoyed that, was a good little friendly, far better than telford.

Didn't embarrass ourselves by all means, especially in the early stages of the second half, played it on the deck and were spanking the albion....until they score from the break and we never got back into it really. Going from this though (I know you shouldn't base stuff on a friendly) the team mould is decent, defence isn't as good no but we're far better in attack, big fudge off forward and I'll be happy.

As said above, need a target man desperately, first time I've seen this near enough completely side with my own eyes and it really is blatantly obviously and a must, booting it to Grigg on goal kicks, not on.

The little Albion scutters to our left were a laugh all game with their man bags, joggers and air max's, all trying to make a name for their-selves for some brummie oddball reason, and so was the joined rendition of "Stand up if you have the wolves."

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Darth Vader wrote:I enjoyed that, was a good little friendly, far better than telford.

Didn't embarrass ourselves by all means, especially in the early stages of the second half, played it on the deck and were spanking the albion....until they score from the break and we never got back into it really. Going from this though (I know you shouldn't base stuff on a friendly) the team mould is decent, defence isn't as good no but we're far better in attack, big **** off forward and I'll be happy.

As said above, need a target man desperately, first time I've seen this near enough completely side with my own eyes and it really is blatantly obviously and a must, booting it to Grigg on goal kicks, not on.

The little Albion scutters to our left were a laugh all game with their man bags, joggers and air max's, all trying to make a name for their-selves for some brummie oddball reason, and so was the joined rendition of "Stand up if you have the wolves."

We might have a B postcode but we are not Brummies :evil:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:I enjoyed that, was a good little friendly, far better than telford.

Didn't embarrass ourselves by all means, especially in the early stages of the second half, played it on the deck and were spanking the albion....until they score from the break and we never got back into it really. Going from this though (I know you shouldn't base stuff on a friendly) the team mould is decent, defence isn't as good no but we're far better in attack, big **** off forward and I'll be happy.

You only live there don't you? Just oddballs then.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

You only live there don't you? Just oddballs then.

Born and bred, but I saw the light regarding Football :wink:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Bloody hell, all I can say is, "I'm sorry."

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Bloody hell, all I can say is, "I'm sorry."

West Brom was a lovely place many moons ago, now the Polish have ruined it and im sorry to say its a dumb :cry:

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Quite a few positives. downing played well and Stewart was solid. However the offside trap was diabolical! Either Jimmy needs to play to organise his new back line or the players need to sort out a meet and greet! Purkiss was okay at right back but not confident at all at centre half. I would still like James Chambers at the club but that doesn't look like happening now!

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 pm

I know Grof plAyed tonight but Jimmy seems to give the back four more assurance and information with his experience. I guess with all of the changes, teething problems with a less than organised back line are inevitable against premier league opposition.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:04 am

JeffPeron wrote:No Paterson or Holden? and no height up front (again) :o

No Taylor again either.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:32 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
JeffPeron wrote:No Paterson or Holden? and no height up front (again) :o

No Taylor again either.

Said on the O/S that he is not 100% fit.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 am

Pleasantly surprised by the first friendly I've seen this year. At least the temptation to play hoofball will probably be resisted given the team of PORG's we've picked up.

Generally sound, though I was a bit concerned at the right side of defence in the first half - it will be a targeted weakness next season if we line up with downing at CH and Perkiss at RB. We also desperately need a target man - getting someone decent in that role will make the difference between yet another season of struggle and one with the potential for better.

I'm looking forward a hell of a lot more to next season after seeing that. Potential.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

Well if Deano can't see that we need a big target man up front then he needs his head looking at.There were some decent crosses that were put into the box last night that a big target man would have got to instead of a midget (Brandy) & our international who can't head a ball!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

We are definately trying to pass the ball on the ground more, trouble is the quality of the players is quite poor, meaning so many passes dont reach their intended target, or the moving is so lacking that our neat little triangles actually end up taking us backward.

Initial thoughts about the players:

Brandy looks like he could be a handful, if we get him on the ball running at defences.

Grigg cannot play the lone striker role (like he did in the first half last night) because a) he's not strong enough and b) he hasn't got the killer instinct to get himself in to what I'd call a "natural" scoring position when our wingers do what they are meant to do and get down the wing

Baxendale, he's tiny, quite a neat footballer when he gets the ball, but drifted out of the game.

Purkiss, can only have been signed for his height, as he looked a poor defender

Downing looks run of the mill, should be ok

Hemmings, looks skillful, but again, small and easily knocked off the ball.

In short, we're too young, small and inexperienced.

If you dont believe that the height & strength of a player is of any importance, just look at the team WBA put out last night, their smallest player was taller and better built than our entire team (including subs)(excluding Purkiss).

WelshWalsallBen
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Massive improvement from Wolves and Burton.

On to Bewntford we go. Big season from Grigg needed hope he gets a few goals in first 10 games and kick on.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Was my first Pre-Season game last night...so this is my assessment of the current crop.

Grof: Should be a reliable number 1 this season.

Purkiss: As stated in an earlier post, he has height, looked ok on the ball (better than beevers) but will be back-up.
Downing: I don't think he managed to win a single header all night, i think Holden will start
Butler: Same old butler, 100% commitment
Stewart: Would sign him up, will be a decent player at this level.

Baxendale: Looked ok, passed it around and looked after the ball when he had it.
Featherstone: Same as above.
Chambers: Ferrets around, lets hope he stays injury free, should be a useful player if so.
Hemmings: My MOTM, has pace and looks to take players on, looks a very decent signing.

Cuvelier: Needs the ball more, we all know his quality.
Grigg: Much prefer Bowerman to be honest.

Subs:
Brandy: Very lively and quick, will cause teams problems, poor pen but had a decent 2nd half.
Taundry: Had a very good 45, big season for him.
Benning: Looks decent on the ball, quite confident he will be a good back up.
Bowerman: Took his goal well, gets into the right positions
Rest: didn't really see much of them

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season