Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kidderminster Harriers (A) Friendly 31st July

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Kidderminster Harriers (A) Friendly 31st July

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

bigbadsad wrote:
NigelFareastx wrote:I have a theory with the trialists why they looked sub standard

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm guessing this is part of the reason but they were released
By a team Called Hereford United

Hereford united did not want them because they are not good. Hereford are in non
League. We are in league

Asking them to be good is asking a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are an idiot, wait untill we sign some players before you start moaning, Pround to be a saddler in deano we trust!! :D

Erm, not really

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am

Nigel, on this website, unless your opinion conforms with one of the following:

- "I agree"
- "But we make money from commercial income"
- "Player X has got potential, another 5 or 6 years and he might be good enough"
- "Stayaways are stupid/not true fans"
- "He's a great signing (regardless of who he is)"

...you will get castigated, mocked and buried beneath the sheer volume of general idiocy and rose-tinted BS.

I too am worried about the standard of players we are signing/trialing, and I too agree that the standard of players is lower than I've ever known it.

Obviously, Cuvelier is the exception, but I know how he we managed to sign him, and that isn't positive.

The rest of the signings are pretty damn poor, League 2 standard, with the exception of Ashley Hemmings who is (according to Neil Ravenscroft) Premier League standard because that's where the club we signed him from have been for the past 2 years, regardless of the fact he only has a handful of appearances above League 2.

I thought our strike force of Jarvis, Macken, Grigg, Gnapka last season was pretty poor - and so it proved, we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

This season, we face starting the season with the rather diminuitive and inexperienced strike force of Grigg, Brandy (5ft 5), Bowerman, Hemmings (5ft 8).

The signings we've made so far have been poor IMO, and we need some good signings to stand a chance of staying up this season - at least one striker, one winger, 2 defenders and probably another central midfielder.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 am

philthesaddler wrote:Obviously, Cuvelier is the exception, but I know how he we managed to sign him, and that isn't positive.

What does this mean? Be interested to hear if there was something dodgy behind this.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 am

fatboyslim wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Obviously, Cuvelier is the exception, but I know how he we managed to sign him, and that isn't positive.

What does this mean? Be interested to hear if there was something dodgy behind this.

Were sedatives and Alcohol involved?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am

philthesaddler wrote:Nigel, on this website, unless your opinion conforms with one of the following:

- "I agree"
- "Player X has got potential, another 5 or 6 years and he might be good enough"
- "Stayaways are stupid/not true fans" - Stayaways are stupid and are completely missing the point.

...you will get castigated, mocked and buried beneath the sheer volume of general idiocy and rose-tinted BS.

I find, on this website you generally only get castigated and mocked when acting like a complete plank.

I am therefore castigating and mocking the above section of your post.
Last edited by saddlersam on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

philthesaddler wrote:Nigel, on this website, unless your opinion conforms with one of the following:

- "I agree"

I too am worried about the standard of players we are signing/trialing, and I too agree that the standard of players is lower than I've ever known it.

Obviously, Cuvelier is the exception, but I know how he we managed to sign him, and that isn't positive.

The rest of the signings are pretty damn poor, League 2 standard, with the exception of Ashley Hemmings who is (according to Neil Ravenscroft) Premier League standard because that's where the club we signed him from have been for the past 2 years, regardless of the fact he only has a handful of appearances above League 2.

I thought our strike force of Jarvis, Macken, Grigg, Gnapka last season was pretty poor - and so it proved, we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

This season, we face starting the season with the rather diminuitive and inexperienced strike force of Grigg, Brandy (5ft 5), Bowerman, Hemmings (5ft 8).

The signings we've made so far have been poor IMO, and we need some good signings to stand a chance of staying up this season - at least one striker, one winger, 2 defenders and probably another central midfielder.

You seem to associate "diminutive" with "poor" Phil, so let me ask you:

How tall was (is) Alan Buckley?
How tall was Tony Richards?
How tall was Colin Taylor?

I would venture to suggest that sheer height is no real recommendation for a striker - look how many donkeys we've had who were much taller than the three quoted above.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 am

But yes, I have heard this and it isn't brilliantly encouraging although makes me more appreciative of some people than others.

I could be wrong though, it wasn't a 100% reliable source and let's just enjoy the fact we have him back in the first place.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:You seem to associate "diminutive" with "poor" Phil, so let me ask you:

I would venture to suggest that sheer height is no real recommendation for a striker - look how many donkeys we've had who were much taller than the three quoted above.

No, I didnt.

I can name a dozen diminuitive forwards who are/were excellent - but I feel you are deliberatly missing the point.

There's nothing wrong with diminuitive forwards, but a whole forward line of diminuitive forwards IS a bad thing.

As it stands, Will Grigg is both our most experienced and tallest/strongest striker. Does that not worry you?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:You seem to associate "diminutive" with "poor" Phil, so let me ask you:

No, I didnt.

I can name a dozen diminuitive forwards who are/were excellent - but I feel you are deliberatly missing the point.

There's nothing wrong with diminuitive forwards, but a whole forward line of diminuitive forwards IS a bad thing.

As it stands, Will Grigg is both our most experienced and tallest/strongest striker. Does that not worry you?

Ignore the fact of his height or how strong he isn't, just him playing worries the living daylights out of me lol

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:32 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
KoloSaddler wrote:Any news on James Chambers ?

I was told last night he was offered a contract after the Dingle game and he stormed out the club due to the contract that was offered to him.

I heard he slapped Bonser's missus, kicked Whalley's dog, widdled in Gamble's petrol tank and set fire to Dan Mole's hair too. :roll:

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:33 am

saddlersam wrote:

But yes, I have heard this and it isn't brilliantly encouraging although makes me more appreciative of some people than others.

I could be wrong though, it wasn't a 100% reliable source and let's just enjoy the fact we have him back in the first place.

???? Care to shed any light even if it is a rumour?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

Exile wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:

I was told last night he was offered a contract after the Dingle game and he stormed out the club due to the contract that was offered to him.

I heard he slapped Bonser's missus, kicked Whalley's dog, widdled in Gamble's petrol tank and set fire to Dan Mole's hair too. :roll:

Only going off what i was told :roll: :roll:

liam t.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 pm

James Chambers was at the game last night and was sat by the bench. He came out at half time and gave some instructions to Adam Chambers but what they were i dont know!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

No, I didnt.

Yep. No good. Need and experienced big man, cause I guarantee we won't be playing it on the deck, no-one does at this level.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:39 pm

- "I agree"

I just love being misquoted. I did NOT say Hemmings was Premier League standard, I just refuted your statement that he must be 2nd division standard because he had been on LOAN there. By that reckoning, Beckham was only the SAME standard when he made his debut, because he had been on loan at Preston and only played in the fourth tier, just like Hemmings. Totally flawed logic.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

I believe that Phil is alluding to the fact that Stoke asked us if we would have him, rather than us making an approach.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:54 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

I believe that Phil is alluding to the fact that Stoke asked us if we would have him, rather than us making an approach.

So? Don't get the point - they must have been happy with how he got on here.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Nope both wrong, and my information is from a 100% reliable source, not at liberty to divulge.

I knew there was something funny about it at the time.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Kidderminster Harriers (A) Friendly 31st July

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm

And naturally, you aren't going to say what it is.

Sick of this "I have a source" crap. cack or get off the pot, and that's not just aimed at you, Phil.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Nope both wrong, and my information is from a 100% reliable source, not at liberty to divulge.

If you can't divulge it, then I for one, won't take any notice! Can't say what it is, or who said it!!!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I just love being misquoted. I did NOT say Hemmings was Premier League standard, I just refuted your statement that he must be 2nd division standard because he had been on LOAN there. By that reckoning, Beckham was only the SAME standard when he made his debut, because he had been on loan at Preston and only played in the fourth tier, just like Hemmings. Totally flawed logic.

I didnt quote you, I merely made the point you were trying to make, which was that Ashley Hemmings is not a league 2 standard player because last time you checked, Wolves werent in League 2, intimating that because Wolvers were a Premier League side, by default, all their players are of Premier League standard. Hemmings has played all his football (bar a couple of appearances in
the league cup for Wolves) in League 2... over a matter of 3 years.

To compare that record with the David Beckhams- a future England captain, superstar and highest earning sports star in the world - cos he went on loan to Preston North End, is ridiculous. By that logic, every player that went on loan from the Premiership to League 2 would be a future England captain.

Beckham had, by the time he went on loan to Preston, scored in the Champions League, by the way, so I fail to see how Neil's logic is anything other than a symptom of senility.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Nope both wrong, and my information is from a 100% reliable source, not at liberty to divulge.

If you can't divulge it, then I for one, won't take any notice! Can't say what it is, or who said it!!!!

Not bothered, you'd probably disbelieve it anyway, or find some positive spin for it.

I can't divulge because it's quite embarassing for the club, and I promised the person who told me I wouldnt.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I just love being misquoted. I did NOT say Hemmings was Premier League standard, I just refuted your statement that he must be 2nd division standard because he had been on LOAN there. By that reckoning, Beckham was only the SAME standard when he made his debut, because he had been on loan at Preston and only played in the fourth tier, just like Hemmings. Totally flawed logic.

I didnt quote you, I merely made the point you were trying to make, which was that Ashley Hemmings is not a league 2 standard player because last time you checked, Wolves werent in League 2, intimating that because Wolvers were a Premier League side, by default, all their players are of Premier League standard. Hemmings has played all his football (bar a couple of appearances in

To compare that record with the David Beckhams- a future England captain, superstar and highest earning sports star in the world - cos he went on loan to Preston North End, is ridiculous. By that logic, every player that went on loan from the Premiership to League 2 would be a future England captain.

Beckham had, by the time he went on loan to Preston, scored in the Champions League, by the way, so I fail to see how Neil's logic is anything other than a symptom of senility.

You really don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter what Beckham did afterwards, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HEMMINGS WILL DO AFTERWARDS! You are making huge assumptions about a player you havent even seen yet, on the assumption he must be crap because we have signed him. That's NOT logic, it's pure, simple predujice.

Why don't you wait to see the bloody bloke play before condemn ng him? I wouldn't accuse anyone of being Premiership or 2nd division, or any other standard until I'd seen them!

liam t.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Ok - here goes. As Stourport Saddler said above, Kiddy's first goal was wordly - their centre back probably 25yards out connects with a volley that flies and dips over Jimmy into the roof of the net. Their second I am afraid came from another misplaced header from Andy Butler trying to find one of our midfield players but instead found their number 11 who drove through the defence, one on one with Jimmy and fired it sort of underneath him as Jimmy advanced on him.

2 - 0 at half time and not looking good. We had looked tidy and kept possession reasonably well without really looking especially threatening. It was I suppose 4 3 3 when we had the ball and 4 5 1 when we didn't. This will not be popular but I thought Will Grigg played ok, worked hard and won a fair amount of ball in the air against Exodeus their centre half who must be 6' 6''. Will did miss one from 2/3 yards when it looked easier to score. Flo hit the post and their keeper produced a decent save from another of his shots on goal and it did look as if our "plan" was to give the ball to Flo and expect him to produce.

I was a bit disappointed in Featherstone who looked lightweight and was brushed off the ball too easily - in a friendly where the tackles were not actually flying in. I dont know if it was a tactical switch but it looked again to me in the second half Flo was moved further up front and closer to Will Grigg. Featherstone sat in front of the back four with Chambers and Hemmings also came more into the game.

Maybe the players decided to play with a bit more urgency and we had an end product from Jamie. He scored two good goals, one with a left foot finish and the second coming in from the right, bamboozling their full back and scoring with his right across the keeper. Kiddy made about 7 substitutions and whilst they were sorting themselves out Jamie created the third goal for Will Grigg who finished calmly from inside the penalty box.

A feature for me especially in the second half was the movement and interchanging around Will Grigg. Jamie and Hemmings continually changed wings, moved into the middle leaving space for Benning (especially) and Purkiss to advance from full back. It was quite narrow at times and you need the full backs to advance forward. Quite impressed with Benning - but feel we still need another left back. Purkiss was steady and if signed might well be this season's Lee Beevers.

Holden was solid, not the quickest obviously and the partnership with Andy Butler needs some work. I am afraid the distribution from both was suspect and Chambers and Featherstone dropped very deep to pick up the ball from them. There was not a great deal of hoof ball and we played out the last 10 minutes or so without any real alarm. Having said that I am not sure Kiddy knew who was playing where at this point.

Overall I am sure Dean will be happy with the workout and we finally scored in a pre season friendly. As I say for me we need more in midfield than Featherstone provides (based on this 90 minutes) - he did not look any better than Anton Peterlin.

Right i would have to agree with my Dad for most of this, i was impressed by both Benning and Purkiss at full back they looked good getting forward. Adam Chambers also looked good in midfield with Featherstone and this is where i disagree with Dad i thought he was far better than peterlin, Featherstone looked far more comfortable on the ball compared to him, he played it simple without doing anything extraordinary but we've had an argument about him already at the Halesowen branch of UTS but you can make up your own mind when you see him!!! :)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Not bothered, you'd probably disbelieve it anyway, or find some positive spin for it.

I can't divulge because it's quite embarassing for the club, and I promised the person who told me I wouldnt.

Ok you wont say but how can an embarassing situation for the club end up with us signing onloan the best player weve had in many a year :?

Has F.C impregnated D.S's wife or worse still J.B's wife and they've threatened to tell the press unless he signs? :shock:

If so I dont believe you considering what hes got at home waiting for him in fishnet stockings :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You really don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter what Beckham did afterwards, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HEMMINGS WILL DO AFTERWARDS! You are making huge assumptions about a player you havent even seen yet, on the assumption he must be crud because we have signed him. That's NOT logic, it's pure, simple predujice.

Why don't you wait to see the bloody bloke play before condemn ng him? I wouldn't accuse anyone of being Premiership or 2nd division, or any other standard until I'd seen them!

I'm making an assumption based on 3 years of his career, hardly a stab in the dark. I'm reserving judgement on him, he might be great, but like I've said his record doesn't bode well... I said he's a league 2 standard player, that where hes played all his football. But if you want to keep wittering on about David Beckham bla bla bla, feel free, just expect to be called out on your daftness.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 pm

To be honest, most of our players' records aren't good, but if they gel together, like Bournemouth's team full of basically no marks did in their play-off season in L1, we could have a successful campaign.

Few experienced players in next and I won't really be that bothered, content enough then.

JeffPeron

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Made me laugh Phil saying Neil Ravenscroft will 'put a positive spin' on it.....no chance of you ever doing that is there?

We sign Cuvelier a truly gifted player, but you choose to find a negative, but of course you cant tell us. So why bother saying anything at all?

:|

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

JeffPeron wrote:Made me laugh Phil saying Neil Ravenscroft will 'put a positive spin' on it.....no chance of you ever doing that is there?

We sign Cuvelier a truly gifted player, but you choose to find a negative, but of course you cant tell us. So why bother saying anything at all?

:|

Alistair Campbell taught him well :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You really don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter what Beckham did afterwards, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HEMMINGS WILL DO AFTERWARDS! You are making huge assumptions about a player you havent even seen yet, on the assumption he must be crud because we have signed him. That's NOT logic, it's pure, simple predujice.

I'm making an assumption based on 3 years of his career, hardly a stab in the dark. I'm reserving judgement on him, he might be great, but like I've said his record doesn't bode well... I said he's a league 2 standard player, that where hes played all his football. But if you want to keep wittering on about David Beckham bla bla bla, feel free, just expect to be called out on your daftness.

Foe God's sake, will someone try and explain, as I give up! As if I am comparing him to Beckham - just the situation. How about try Gerrard and Fox, when they came. A loan with non league Accrington? Must be a Conference player, then, as that's where he'd played all his football. Or maybe a Scottish 2nd division player at Stranraer, as that's where Fox had played all of his. Now do you get it?

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season