Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kidderminster Harriers (A) Friendly 31st July

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Kidderminster Harriers (A) Friendly 31st July

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:The players were signing are just shocking

Cuvelier, Holden, Hemmings. Perhaps you could explain which one of those you're referring to?

Or maybe you've been today and seen some of the trialists play? Bear in mind that so far we have signed NONE of the trialists from this pre-season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:My first game was in 1977. I can never ever remember us being linked
With
so many inferior players

Rumours count for nothing though, do they? The players we've actually signed so far look half decent on paper and we know Smith still has plenty of work to do in the transfer market yet.

Just take a look at the transfer activity elsewhere in our league and tell me who's really blown you away. Swindon aside, there's no-one who really stands out as a force to be reckoned with.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Cuvelier, Holden, Hemmings. Perhaps you could explain which one of those you're referring to?

Or maybe you've been today and seen some of the trialists play? Bear in mind that so far we have signed NONE of the trialists from this pre-season.

Isnt anyone whos invited to train and impress a trialist? This means we would have signed 3 trialists in Hemmings, Holden, Brandy and soon to be Chambers :?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:

Isnt anyone whos invited to train and impress a trialist? This means we would have signed 3 trialists in Hemmings, Holden, Brandy and soon to be Chambers :?

Forgot about Brandy, oops. But I don't think Hemmings and Holden were on trial, were they? Nor would I refer to Chambers as 'just shocking'.

NigelFareastx

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Holden is a shocking signing
Beevers please return
U could understand u if y thought
We are going to get some quality
We won't !!!!!!!!

TEXT-SPEAK IS NOT ALLOWED ON UTS - POSTS WILL BE DELETED IN FUTURE IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY - MOD

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:

You've done exactly what everyone does every season, without fail. You've assumed these players will fail purely because they're trialists.

What about Jorge Leitao? Or Junior? Both trialists who didn't turn out too badly. In fact, I remember watching Junior's first game on trial and thinking he was a complete waste of space.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:Holden is a shocking signing

What's he done wrong in a Walsall shirt? I've not seen him yet, so interested in your inevitably well-reasoned assessment.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

You've done exactly what everyone does every season, without fail. You've assumed these players will fail purely because they're trialists.

What about Jorge Leitao? Or Junior? Both trialists who didn't turn out too badly. In fact, I remember watching Junior's first game on trial and thinking he was a complete waste of space.

Is that aimed at me?

P.s Forgot about young Connor aswel another trialist thats potentially 5

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 pm

That's pretty much what people said about Beevers this time last year.

NigelFareastx

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Holden set the tone for me

No agent. Released by Sheridan oct
2011. Fans said he was s T

Rochdale Relegated. Fans said he was s. t

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:40 pm

Mike T. wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Admire the dedication you guys have to watch and pay for these dire friendlies

It is quicker to get to Aggborough than Bescot for me - otherwise not sure I would bother. Mind you I hope the queue for food is shorter than it was on Sunday. Unbelievable - but everybody good natured and patient. As I said earlier will post short report when back home.

What was your take on the game mate? At least you got to see some goals.....a few good ones by the sounds of it. :)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

What's he done wrong in a Walsall shirt? I've not seen him yet, so interested in your inevitably well-reasoned assessment.

If you do get a reply you'll
Probably have to waste
Quite some time in
Following his inevitably
Well-reasoned assessment
Because his typewriter
Only has a carriage width
Of around three inches
Which makes it difficult to
Put together long strings
Of words in a fashion that's
Understandable.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:Holden set the tone for me

What do you think of Cuvelier then? You know, just out of interest?

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

He's no Dean Peer is he? :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

tinned wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

He's no Dean Peer is he? :D

You leave Dean alone :evil:

Can someone clear this up for me please, Did DP once score a hat-trick for us?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 pm

Peer scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win over Lincoln City on Nov. 20th 1993.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Peer scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win over Lincoln City on Nov. 20th 1993.

Thanx Ped I thought he did and if my memory serves me correct the very next game he scored a brace :D

Not the greatest player in the world but if we had 11 players with his work ethic we wouldnt be far off from being a decent team

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

So the people on here can say

Delete this nob, he's an idiot

The players we are signing are just shocking

My first game was in 1977. I can never ever remember us being linked
With so many inferior players

If ur a supporter then I guess just respect my opinion

"The players we're signing are just shocking. So the people on here can say "delete this nob, he's an idiot", the players we are signing are just shocking. My first game was in 1977, I can never ever remember us being linked with so many inferior players.

If you are a supporter then I guess just respect my opinion."

.................It really does make it easier to follow :wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh! I see, so that's what he said. Thanks for the translation.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Peer scored a hat-trick in a 5-2 win over Lincoln City on Nov. 20th 1993.

Remember it well. He was top scorer that season! That was the dire year to forget between play-off defeat to Crewe and promotion under Nicholl. For that sorry season we have deserter Wayne Clarke to blame.

gray
Glitterati

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

The first half we were appauling, Grigg can't play up front on his own. There were too many crosses and balls into the box when there was nobody there to meet them. Kidderminster had a big back 4 and looked so comfortable in the air against us.

Second half we were good. We kept possession well and decided to play simple passes instead of booting it up. We played through the middle with passes on the floor and this was so much more effective, it was like watching a different team.

Patterson was my man of the match for his second half performance, his 2 finishes were from tight angles, similar to the angle for the goal he scored the goal at Hillsbororough. He also played the lovely ball for Grigg to score the winner. Cuveliar again looked a class above the rest without really doing too much spectacular. Chambers also looked good. I was also impressed with Benning, its the first time I've seen him play and he looked confident with and without the ball. When he had the ball he showed he wasn't afraid to run forward and try to beat a man, I wouldn't be too worried if he started the first game.

I'm pleased with how we came back to beat a good conference team but I hope the result doesn't paper over the cracks we still have. In my opinion we are short of a striker who can hold the ball better than Grigg and can also find the right places in the box to put those chances away. I know finding this kind of player is easier said than done but in my opinion it will take us from being a fairly poor League 1 team to being an ok one.

Hednesfordred

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:I'm a Walsall lad. I travelled with saddlers leicster
Coventry, man u, Leeds, wolves. With 50 mates
Saddlers now in their 40s. Real lads. Proud to be a saddler
Don't call me a nob mate on the back of some university
Minibus to Crawley town

Oh dear me.
just so you know for the record, i have been season ticket holder for 30 years and have watched more sh!!t down at Fellows park / Bescot / Banks's that u have had hot dinners. I just get so fed up of turds who have nothing better to do than slag off a team which has always had to be built with NOWT. If you can't understand or appreciate that then you shouldn't get annoyed that I tell u what I think :roll: :roll:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:42 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
Mike T. wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Admire the dedication you guys have to watch and pay for these dire friendlies

It is quicker to get to Aggborough than Bescot for me - otherwise not sure I would bother. Mind you I hope the queue for food is shorter than it was on Sunday. Unbelievable - but everybody good natured and patient. As I said earlier will post short report when back home.

What was your take on the game mate? At least you got to see some goals.....a few good ones by the sounds of it. :)

Ok - here goes. As Stourport Saddler said above, Kiddy's first goal was wordly - their centre back probably 25yards out connects with a volley that flies and dips over Jimmy into the roof of the net. Their second I am afraid came from another misplaced header from Andy Butler trying to find one of our midfield players but instead found their number 11 who drove through the defence, one on one with Jimmy and fired it sort of underneath him as Jimmy advanced on him.

2 - 0 at half time and not looking good. We had looked tidy and kept possession reasonably well without really looking especially threatening. It was I suppose 4 3 3 when we had the ball and 4 5 1 when we didn't. This will not be popular but I thought Will Grigg played ok, worked hard and won a fair amount of ball in the air against Exodeus their centre half who must be 6' 6''. Will did miss one from 2/3 yards when it looked easier to score. Flo hit the post and their keeper produced a decent save from another of his shots on goal and it did look as if our "plan" was to give the ball to Flo and expect him to produce.

I was a bit disappointed in Featherstone who looked lightweight and was brushed off the ball too easily - in a friendly where the tackles were not actually flying in. I dont know if it was a tactical switch but it looked again to me in the second half Flo was moved further up front and closer to Will Grigg. Featherstone sat in front of the back four with Chambers and Hemmings also came more into the game.

Maybe the players decided to play with a bit more urgency and we had an end product from Jamie. He scored two good goals, one with a left foot finish and the second coming in from the right, bamboozling their full back and scoring with his right across the keeper. Kiddy made about 7 substitutions and whilst they were sorting themselves out Jamie created the third goal for Will Grigg who finished calmly from inside the penalty box.

A feature for me especially in the second half was the movement and interchanging around Will Grigg. Jamie and Hemmings continually changed wings, moved into the middle leaving space for Benning (especially) and Purkiss to advance from full back. It was quite narrow at times and you need the full backs to advance forward. Quite impressed with Benning - but feel we still need another left back. Purkiss was steady and if signed might well be this season's Lee Beevers.

Holden was solid, not the quickest obviously and the partnership with Andy Butler needs some work. I am afraid the distribution from both was suspect and Chambers and Featherstone dropped very deep to pick up the ball from them. There was not a great deal of hoof ball and we played out the last 10 minutes or so without any real alarm. Having said that I am not sure Kiddy knew who was playing where at this point.

Overall I am sure Dean will be happy with the workout and we finally scored in a pre season friendly. As I say for me we need more in midfield than Featherstone provides (based on this 90 minutes) - he did not look any better than Anton Peterlin.

NigelFareastx

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 pm

I have a theory with the trialists why they looked sub standard

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm guessing this is part of the reason but they were released
By a team Called Hereford United

Hereford united did not want them because they are not good. Hereford are in non
League. We are in league

Asking them to be good is asking a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Any news on James Chambers ?

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:43 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:Hereford united did not want them

We currently have two triallists from Hereford. Featherstone was offered a new contract but turned it down. Purkiss didn't want to stay. Hereford wanted both of them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:47 pm

NigelFareastx wrote:I have a theory with the trialists why they looked sub standard

Where you
at the game to see them look
sub standard?

Seem to me like you
were posting on here
all night.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 am

If you are intent
On writing bad poetry
That never varies
In its unending and often
Inaccurate lambasting of
Our club

The least you could do
From time to time
Is make it rhyme

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 am

A haiku for Walsall

friendly game tonight
reveals depth of team spirit
and lack of fan love

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 am

KoloSaddler wrote:Any news on James Chambers ?

I was told last night he was offered a contract after the Dingle game and he stormed out the club due to the contract that was offered to him.

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 am

NigelFareastx wrote:I have a theory with the trialists why they looked sub standard

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm guessing this is part of the reason but they were released
By a team Called Hereford United

Hereford united did not want them because they are not good. Hereford are in non
League. We are in league

Asking them to be good is asking a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are an idiot, wait untill we sign some players before you start moaning, Pround to be a saddler in deano we trust!! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season