Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Telford United (A) Friendly Tuesday 24 July

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Graydon48
Glitterati

Re: Telford v Walsall

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 pm

newportsaddler wrote:Just got back, good turnout by the walsall fans and a game of two halves really- telford outshone us in the first half and we dominated the second, we seemed to have much more flair in the second period with the introduction of a whole new line up.

Grof- Solid as ever, made a few good stops and was strong in the air
Walker- Didn't have anything to do in the second half

Butler-Solid as ever, the usual, what you expect from him really
Taundry- Looked solid enough but has his moments, don't really trust him in the defence, or the midfield...or at all really. good backup player?
Number 6 (Anyone Know who he is)- Looked OK, nothing outstanding in all fairness
Jones- Looked OK at left back but looked much more comfortable on the wing, looked quite promising there
Holden- When he came on looked very good, a good addition i hope!
James Chambers - When he came on he did look good in all fairness, steady and experienced

Cuvelier- Classy as ever, pulls the strings in the middle of the park
Nicky Featherstone(Number 15)- Looked alright at times, better option than sammons (number 6) IMO
Paterson- Could this be his breakthrough season? played in the middle of the park today and was a class act, seems like his started to mature over the past few months
Sammons- Didn't look all that great, didnt do anything bad but certainly didnt stand out
Adam Chambers- Was impressed by him today, did well in the holding role
Brandy- Looked a promising prospect, quick and skilful but my god hes tiny!
Hemmings-Also very impressed by him, seemed to know what he was doing (not a bad start for a professional footballer! ;) )

Grigg- Woeful, so weak on the ball, pushed off the ball at all times
Bowerman- Linked up with the midfield well but there is room for improvementS
Number 10- looked decent, didnt stand out buQt didnt do anything wrong either

Also a special mention to number 16, no clue who he is (looked like luke chadwick to me) but my god he looked good, sign him up now smithy!
Sorry if i missed any of the other trialists out!

Overall, decent start but certainly room for improvement

Football is all about opinions but are you sure you haven't got your halves mixed up? Thought we was ok 1st half dire 2nd

newportsaddler

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 am

please tell me you're joking? we were abysmal in the first half, much improved second and that was the general feel of the fans around me too..but hey all about opinions.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 am

If ever there was a match to remind me not to go to friendlies that was it.

Abysmal entertainment value and not worth the bother.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: AFC Telford United (A) Friendly Tuesday 24 July

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:26 am

Stu wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:i just feel a little bit cheated, kind of wish the club would warn fans in advance that shooting and attacking play will be non existent and we will just be working on shape (lol) and keep ball.

Seriously? What did you expect for a first pre-season friendly against non-league opposition 3 weeks before the season started? :o

i understand its ony the first game and all that, but i just seems plain wrong to go into a game with nothing to loose and just not have any intent on trying to break them down.

the worse thing was they managed to work better wide chances then we did and they wernt exactly going full steam ahead.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 am

NigelFareastx wrote:What did I expect ........ Yawn yawn
Exactly that from a team with 6 professionals on the books
Like I said. I'm sorry. But defending it ur in the
0.00000000000000000000000000000001 percent of fans Representing Walsall FC
The other 99.9999999999999999999999 percent could be bothered to go any more !!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40790&p=969978#p969978

How many ways do you want to have it on here? new posters are the lifeblood of UTS, and yours are thought-provoking and relevant, which is great, and I can't help but think you've a bit of a chip on the shoulder somehow given your position on this game versus your position on other forum users / fans.

PS - less text speak, please. Says it in the forum rules every time your post. This forum is old skool, on account of all the oldies using it :wink:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 am

Asps wrote:If ever there was a match to remind me not to go to friendlies that was it.

Abysmal entertainment value and not worth the bother.

post of the season so far :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 am

Ken Barlow wrote:Will Grigg-crap.

You got him made as this year's boo boy already? how about getting behind ALL the lads, not just the ones who reply to you on twerp? :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 am

Apodidae wrote:Oh - and if the mods want to add this to the match thread that would be great

Done. Don't do it again. :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:26 am

Attendance at the New Bucks Head was 623.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 am

A few pics from last nights game (couple of trialists)

http://www.afctelfordunited.co.uk/photos/afc-telford-utd-0-walsall-0--293669.html

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 am

The other 99.9999999999999999999999 percent could be bothered to go any more !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see that maths is not your strong point :)

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 am

chestersaddler wrote:

Or English :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 am

fatboyslim wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Or English :)

:mrgreen:

Greg

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

Led to believe Gabor Gypes (former wolves centre half) was number 5 last night

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 am

Looking at those photo's would say not, looked a youngish lad, Gypes is 31.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am

Greg wrote:Led to believe Gabor Gypes (former wolves centre half) was number 5 last night

Was 5 who partnered Butler in 1st half at centre back? If so then he looked to have dark hair to me whereas Gypes looks to be blonde. Not saying it deffo wasn't him but looked more like the guy who was in the training shots earlier in pre-season. They guy at the back on the left wearing number 14 or 16 in photo 2?

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10428~2833802,00.html

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:45 am

saddlerJP wrote:Looking at those photo's would say not, looked a youngish lad, Gypes is 31.

Thats all we need, another player nobody can spell! I think it's Gyepes, by the way.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Jake Jones also won an 8.9 for a dive last night.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Stu wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:i just feel a little bit cheated, kind of wish the club would warn fans in advance that shooting and attacking play will be non existent and we will just be working on shape (lol) and keep ball.

Seriously? What did you expect for a first pre-season friendly against non-league opposition 3 weeks before the season started? :o

i understand its ony the first game and all that, but i just seems plain wrong to go into a game with nothing to loose and just not have any intent on trying to break them down.

the worse thing was they managed to work better wide chances then we did and they wernt exactly going full steam ahead.

They arent a bad team though... Its not as if we were playing crap like Sporting Khalsa.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Stu wrote:

Exactly. I can't believe people get excited about pre-season friendlies, let alone pay hard cash to see them. 12 quid on Saturday to see a half paced warm up game with a dozen substitutions on each side? Some people would just open and empty their wallets every time the club asked them to.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:13 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Stu wrote:

The last thing Smith would have said to the contracted players with three weeks to go would have been, for Gods sake, don't pick up any injuries. If you expect any more from a pre season friendly, I wouldn't go if I were you.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 pm

On a different note, what was with the crazy tunstile situation? It was like the bleeding Krypton Factor trying to get an adult and a 5 year old in together. Queued up twice at two different entrances and got turned away, as they were "adults only" and "concessions only". They made us split up and enter at opposite ends of the ground in the end.

For a friendly! Really?

Crazy bar stewards!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Chris wrote:On a different note, what was with the crazy tunstile situation? It was like the bleeding Krypton Factor trying to get an adult and a 5 year old in together. Queued up twice at two different entrances and got turned away, as they were "adults only" and "concessions only". They made us split up and enter at opposite ends of the ground in the end.

For a friendly! Really?

Crazy bar stewards!

Them weird down that way though aint they. I failed to see why it mattered, are they not capable of processing more than one price bracket at the turnstile. :lol:

Chris
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:59 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Chris wrote:On a different note, what was with the crazy tunstile situation? It was like the bleeding Krypton Factor trying to get an adult and a 5 year old in together. Queued up twice at two different entrances and got turned away, as they were "adults only" and "concessions only". They made us split up and enter at opposite ends of the ground in the end.

For a friendly! Really?

Crazy bar stewards!

Them weird down that way though aint they. I failed to see why it mattered, are they not capable of processing more than one price bracket at the turnstile. :lol:

Yeah, you're probably right. The one doing the £8 turnstile had more fingers than the one doing the concessions, so I suppose it made sense that he totted up the higher takings.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm

tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:

Exactly. I can't believe people get excited about pre-season friendlies, let alone pay hard cash to see them. 12 quid on Saturday to see a half paced warm up game with a dozen substitutions on each side? Some people would just open and empty their wallets every time the club asked them to.

I agree, but I just fancied trying one out and I knew a fair few that were going so went for it, probably go to the Albion too.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm

tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:

Stayaways wont

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm

I wasnt exactly excited, Telfords just a stones throw away, its a nice ground, a warm evening and i got to scratch a footballing itch.

I wont be bothering with any of the others though.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
Greg wrote:Led to believe Gabor Gypes (former wolves centre half) was number 5 last night

Was 5 who partnered Butler in 1st half at centre back? If so then he looked to have dark hair to me whereas Gypes looks to be blonde. Not saying it deffo wasn't him but looked more like the guy who was in the training shots earlier in pre-season. They guy at the back on the left wearing number 14 or 16 in photo 2?

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10428~2833802,00.html

The centre back partnering Butler in 1st half was Purkiss from Hereford. So the 1st half team was as follows:

Grof
Taundry Purkiss Butler Unknown
Baxendale Sammons Chambers Brandy
Grigg Unknown (from Marbella)

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah, good shout thats the number 5

Purkiss wasn't terrible but didn't stand out, looking at his previous clubs though hardly excites

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Who was number 22 who played the second half? He look out to impress with some good runs.

I think Baxendale played in the first half.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season