Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 pm

aaaae wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Enjoy it while you can. Mr Bonser will be eying up the situation with £ signs in his greedy leechy eyes!

Expect the promising team to be broken up within months

Whhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait and see......

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:23 pm

We played well, they played cack.

They have god awful fans, not a peep. Useless. I cack you not, i also saw an actual farmer. Nearly pissed myself with laughter. Mong in his flat cap and tweed. :lol:

Westcarr, Brandy, Grigg, superb. The Chambers brothers dominated today too. Pitch forced us to play a bit long, worked though as they couldnt defend.

No chance we will keep Brandy and Grigg.

Absolutely yga policing too, cheers for the huge bill lads. I bet that big metal "police cordon" cost us a few quid. Berks.
Last edited by latviancheese on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Enjoy it while you can. Mr Bonser will be eying up the situation with £ signs in his greedy leechy eyes!

You're such a happy soul, aren't you? :roll:

Yes! I am!

I'm not taking anything away from the team, and I'm glad the people that still go are having a whale of a time, and enjoying WFC again.

I'm just putting some perspective on things again

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm

I heard an old Shrewsbury fan after the game say, and I quote...

"Their goalkeeper is getting reported anyway..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Yow tryin to pinch my crown Swifty!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No mate. Nobody is as ancient and moany as yow!

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Really good result. Lovely football at times. Thought westcarr wa outstanding today.

Th thing I really like is that we have a proper team with spirit. They're all playing for each other and the manager and you can see the togetherness. Great work by all concerned.

Really hope we can persuade Grigg and Brandy to stay. If they do, it'll be down to the manager and his management of the players, not the money.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Also, we have come far, as i was bored after 60 minutes. This cruising stuff is borin sober :)

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 pm

Chomper wrote:Really good result. Lovely football at times. Thought westcarr wa outstanding today.

Th thing I really like is that we have a proper team with spirit. They're all playing for each other and the manager and you can see the togetherness. Great work by all concerned.

Really hope we can persuade Grigg and Brandy to stay. If they do, it'll be down to the manager and his management of the players, not the money.

Only one thing will give us the smallest chance of keeping them....promotion.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

aaaae wrote:
Chomper wrote:Really good result. Lovely football at times. Thought westcarr wa outstanding today.

Only one thing will give us the smallest chance of keeping them....promotion.

Aye, and all that bollocks about Grigg not liking our fans is nonsense judging by his reaction today.

The biggest noticeable difference in his game is for sure his work rate. He was shagged out by the end today.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

latviancheese wrote:We played well, they played guano.

They have god awful fans, not a peep. Useless. I guano you not, i also saw an actual farmer. Nearly pead myself with laughter. Mong in his flat cap and tweed. :lol:

Westcarr, Brandy, Grigg, superb. The Chambers brothers dominated today too. Pitch forced us to play a bit long, worked though as they couldnt defend.

No chance we will keep Brandy and Grigg.

Absolutely yga policing too, cheers for the huge bill lads. I bet that big metal "police cordon" cost us a few quid. Berks.

Their fans are what stuck out for me today, other than the football- I went to Shrews away and seen them at home.

Poor poor poor support - belong in the basement division or even non-league. You might as well go home :lol:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Easy. Comprehensive. We were a division better than the beastialitists.

Shame about that 16 game run, 2 wins out of them and we'd be nailed on for the McDonalds stadium over the May Bank Holiday.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We are jizzing all over them.

Try not to get arrested for that! :D

A fourth will make me puff dust out of the end.

Never seen that done. Sadly neither did anyone else, as the 4th goal eluded us.

Strange place to keep the talcum powder too, thinking about it. :D

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 pm

wivenj is sweet!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 pm

wfc & chips wrote:wivenj is sweet!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:55 pm

what was all that police nonsense about

i was baffled why they put a big metal fence up on the side of the ground that you are least likely to bump into the away fans!!!

anyway a bit of needed overtime for around 300 coppers i bet there were some burglaries today lol

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Yes, the metal wall was complete overkill. Did they have anything around the front of the ground? Image

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:what was all that police nonsense about

i was baffled why they put a big metal fence up on the side of the ground that you are least likely to bump into the away fans!!!

anyway a bit of needed overtime for around 300 coppers i bet there were some burglaries today lol

I heard they was going to put up a metal fence by the home end to keep Swiftyboy and his stayaway pals out.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:16 pm

The police filled their boots with overtime today!

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes. If you came out of the family stand, you couldn't turn left due to the metal barrier, so all Walsall fans then routed round into the Shrews fans. They then stopped you walking back around the ground, so you had to come off the car park onto the road to get back round towards Pleck and Aluminium Bronze (still think of it as that!). Just made no sense at all. Felt kettled!

Anyway, to the festivities on the pitch. We were good all over the pitch. Defence dealt well with their big chaps and the full backs got forward well. Midfield good apart from going AWOL for a bit of the second half, but the game was won by then. Going forward, we played some sparkling stuff with Westcarr linking things well and Brandy terrifying them. Ibragriggovich played well and looked super confident in the way he took his second. Who knows how this might end, but the journey is great fun.

Ref was a plank. Some achievement to be booed off by both sets of fans at half time.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm

That`s what the extra £1-50 on your ticket was for.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Fantastic game we have not looked so dominant on this run yet (that I've seen anyway) the Shrews only scored as I had a tenner on us to win 3-1 which gave me a gorgeous 170 back :D

Mccarey- 7 still has the odd unsure moment and he messes about picking it up which worries me but steady
Butler- 8 He had to mark two big bastards on his own and held his own minus the moment where he got thrown over and got back up only to get booted in the ankle and limped hope he's alright
Downing- 7 he was solid as ever the odd miskick but held his own
J chambers - 7 ALOT better this week still lacks the pace of Purkiss meaning he can get caught but today he was stronger and more attacking setting up the goal
Taylor - 8 Unlucky not to get a goal from a power freekick and he attacked with pace a lot and generally let little get past him

Mantom - 6.5 he had a little bit of an off game but I think this was just because the others had such a strong game his mistakes were more noticeable seemed a little slower and missplaced a few paces
Chambers-8 he ran his socks off and put some vital challenges in without getting booked despite a dodgy ref linked the play very well.
Brandy - 8 did exactly what the game was screaming for to get the peno as we were passing about to much Brandy just took it by the scruff and beat all his men and got brought down for the peno and from then on did some good attacks and moved around the pitch alot to help others
Paterson - 7.5 Consistent as ever sometimes frustrating doing a little to much or being to clever but think he got it just right today though would of liked him to get a few more shots away
Westcarr- 7.5 His first 30 minutes he ran a lot more and moved onto the left wing as well as the centre and right wing so brought a different dimension. Glad to see him get on the score sheet even if it was a scrambled toe poke in a goal is a goal and may inspire him to get more!. Again made some fantastic passes to Grigg Pato and Brandy if he played like today every week he would be worth keeping.

Grigg - 10 He did everything right today so unfair to give him less then a perfect score he scored a great penalty making it look easy in front of a full away stand, his second goal was a perfectly placed low drive after beating his man and he didn't seem to stop running and battling even against some real big tough players.

Think the police presence was really OTT but suppose it has to happen in these derbys
5500 is reasonable for attendance woulda like to of broken the 6K barrier but we can hold out hope coventry will do that.

Roll on Swindon next week we fear nobody when we play at our best with pass and move football nobody can stop us!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:33 pm

We're genuine playoff and promotion contenders because of performances like that. Frankly, we were streets ahead of Shrewsbury in every single department and they had very little to cause us too many problems.

Unlike previous weeks, I thought we struggled to get Paterson and Brandy too involved - partocularly inhe first half. That was probably as much down to the pitch as it was down to them playing Parry and Richards as their wide midfielders - two players with not a lot of pace, but with the nouse to be able to drop in and defend whenever we looked to break forward. When Paterson started floating more in the second half, he saw more of the ball and generally used it well.

When our wingers aren't firing though, the we don't half have an effective spine to our team. Grigg is absoltely on fire at the moment and helps us to defend from the front by working so hard, but in behind him, Chambers and Mantom are exceptional at winning the ball when we don't have it and keeping it when we do. Westcarr provides the link between the midfield and Grigg and was excellent in that role again today.

We didn't look too comfortable when they did get Richards in enough space for him to cross the ball into our box - an understandable reaction really, as they had two giants up front and clearly that was always going to be their route into today's game. In terms of football, it was ours that was the easier on the eye and the more effective though.

The pleasing thing about today's game was the way we played with a fire in our belly - just like we did at their place back in October. My only slight gripe is that having battered them for an hour, we started to take one too many touches, get a bit too cocky on the ball and give them some hope for the last ten minutes. That's the only time I've seen us do that this season though, so happy to give the players the benefit of the doubt.

Another game where it was really good fun to be a Walsall fan. I'd have given a limb to be where we are now a year ago.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Andy W Taylor wrote:
aaaae wrote:
Andy W Taylor wrote:It's 3:25am in a motel room in the sleepy Australian resort of Ulladulla after a fantastic night out at Rick Stein's restaurant up the road in Mollymook. Sat in the dark so as to not disturb my wife but waking her every time we score! :D

Can't wait to get back and watch the mighty Saddlers in the flesh again.

Ulladulla & Mollymook? Are you sure your drink hasn't been spiked? Or maybe you've been reading to much Lewis Carroll & Edward Lear?

If you want to be literary, Milton is only just up the road! :)

Just woke the wife again with an expletive slipping out when Sloppies scored.

...as long as that was the only thing that slipped out........ :wink:

Thanks for the seat Bruv. Best game of the season lol!!!
Bring on Swindon & Tramere!!

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 pm

saddlerphil wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
saddlerphil wrote:I'm going for my predictable:-
1-2 John Keister
6099 (1152 Salops)
i still havent got anywhere near a correct score this season!!!!!

Or indeed, a correct scorer, by the look of it!

I know John hasn't scored all season???

Something is very very wrong??? John wasn't even on the bench today!!!!?????

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Great result - although old habits die hard and I was still nervous when they got one back!
We are playing as a TEAM and thats the difference - they look confident and up for it .
Brandy and Grigg were outstanding, but they all played a vital part.
The Sloppies were very quiet ,expected more fan banter.Would have been nice to get over 6000, but guess we have to wait for the Wolves game next season.
Enjoying every game as it comes - nice to finish the season at the top end of the table - I am dreaming of Wembley.
Wonderful day in the sunshine and had both my kids at the game,. home with me from Uni so a very happy Saddler

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:wivenj is sweet!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I have a lisp eh???... You'll wegwet it.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Brilliant performance from the lads today and too a man they deserve praise. The only way that the Sloppies were going to get anything out the game was by kicking us (and my god did they) and lamping it long, but even that wasn't enough despite the pitch not being perfect for our style of play. Their abysmal fans got exactly what they deserved.

It's more than likely that one or two of these players wont be here next season but if that happens then so be it. Smith will replace them, the team will continue to believe in playing the right way and our own youngsters will blossom. The usual bores will be out - damning Smith/Bonser when we lose and then moaning players will leave when we're winnning - but let them. Today is about enjoyment, and so is the rest of the season. Can't wait to hand over my money to Uncle Jeff for next season and if this type of football continues then his pension fund is welcome to every penny. :D

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 pm

My humble take on today's performance.

McCarey - Made two or three decent stops. He is far too casual with the ball though. On more than one occasion he elected to clear the ball without picking it up. A bit of dodgy strategy on a bumpy service. He miscued a few because of a bobble that could have easily gone over his foot. Also, rather than stretch to catch the ball I would prefer him to get his body behind it.

J Chambers - A solid performance. Fellow UTSer said he lacks the pace of Purkiss. I think he is quicker but lacks the ball control and creativity.

Butler - Fantastic and brave defensive display. Although provoked by the two Sloppie lumps up front he needs to keep his mouth in check. Had a go at the guano ref and I feared a booking or worse.

Downing - Gets better every match. A great pairing with Butler.

Taylor - Unlucky not to score from the freekick. Always looking to set up Paterson or build up an attack through Westcarr.

A Chambers - Certainly the main reason we won the midfield and stopped Richards getting much of a sniff. Worked tirelessly.

Mantom - Quieter than Chambers but played his part in The Saddlers dominating the midfield for most of the match. Seemed to have switched off for 15 minutes or so when Sloppies threatened to get back in the game.

Westcarr - Proof you don't need to be a Billy Whizz type to be a forward. Intelligent set up play and held the ball up well when needed. Don't think he will ever play a full 90 minutes though.

Paterson - Scared the brown stuff out the defenders when he ran at them. He rounded a couple as if they were training ground bollards. Funny, seemed to over complicate things at times when he would have usually had a (sometimes wasteful) pop at goal.

Grigg - MOTM. A great second goal that I don't know how he did it. Will need to see the highlights, brilliant! As there weren't many empty spaces he had to celebrate to the crowd! Smith seemed hopeful of extending his contract on Radio Dingle. If he carries on playing like this, Uncle Geoff will have to dig deep to keep him next season.

Brandy - Turned the Sloppies defence inside out when he ran at them. Getting a penalty was inevitable. I think he may have tweaked a muscle when chasing a lost cause in the second half. Stopped making his scintillating runs after that and I will be surprised if he plays a full game on Tuesday.

Featherstone - Slotted into the pace of the game well. A great asset to have on the bench.

Baxendale - Should have come on sooner for Westcarr to maintain attacking pressure.

It seems to me that the easiest job in football is being the Assistant Manager at Walsall.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Brandy - I will be surprised if he plays a full game on Tuesday.

Me too. We'e not playing. :wink:

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I wouldn't expect any of our players to play this coming tuesday as we got no game :lol:

Looking over the fixtures list and we could have a massive say on the playoffs for ourselves as we have
Swindon on Saturday
Tranmere on Tuesday after that
Yeovil on the 29th

Then in April we have Coventry and Sheffield all of which are currently in the top six all are must wins if we want to chase the dream.
I don't think we have any reason to fear any of them with the way we are playing

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season