Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (A), League One 27/4/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Crewe Alexandra (A), League One 27/4/13

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm

latviancheese wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Just got back home.

Two ridiculously poor decisions were the difference between two teams playing an end of season friendly. I thought the performance was a bit of a let down for the fantastic support shown by the fans.

Good day though - especially meeting a number of UTS regulars for the first time - great to put faces to names.

Were you the old bloke in the weird metal band cardigan? ;-)

That's it - the one with "Ye Olde Corpse Road" written on :wink:

Bloody greebs.

:D Good though.
Not a black metal fan then Latvian?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Only when im off my tits and i wanna laugh.

I once accidently saw Dimmu Borgir though. I must have been out of it cause i stood there for a good 6 minutes before i realised i was at the wrong stage. :lol:

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Poor performance from both teams really but it was disappointing for us especially with the number of fans and the support they gave they deserved better.

Not gonna analyze it to much half the players looked on holiday or out the club already so will just do memorable good and bad

memorable good:
Paterson he seemed to be the only player other then Baxendale willing to run at them and shoot
Baxendale young lad gets everywhere and attacks will be very useful next season may need a little more bulking up though
Johnstone did well to get a hand to the penalty that frankly never should of been and generally made a few decent stops
J Chambers did well overall not his best game but certainly shone above some of the performances in that game.

memorable bad:
Adam Chambers he got booked very early on by the dodgy ref and it ruined the rest of his game for me he looked very concious of the fouls he gave away and looked a little low on confidence when passes from different team mates went askew.
Grigg looked like he couldn't be arsed at one point he knocked it out of play to us turned to one of our players and just shouts fudge hell at them his eye looked on either being out the club or on holiday.

Based on the overall play the result was fair even if the first goal came from a dodgy descion.

Our fans never cease to entertain me either whether it's our dancing singers, conga line of fancy dress doing gambols in the stand and on the pitch, some of the banter and the ever classic the wolves am gewin down chant made for it to be a fun day anyway.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 am

I think the performance reflected a long and hard season in addition to the realisation that the play-offs were out of reach. Coupled with that it was probably quite strange to play in front of a crowd who barely concentrated on the game and were just in a general party mood (not a criticism in the slightest, just an observation).

I thought Johnstone was comfortable with his handling although should have saved the penalty (which never was) and also his kicking was very suspect....not for the first time. Still would love him to return on a season long loan as looks like he has a good future ahead of him.

James chambers was solid. Downing looked slightly more comfortable next to Holden which was pleasing although often a little indecisive in his passing. Was pleased to see this as worried that he might struggle without the support of Butler. It was probably eased by Holden having a better game. Bennington coped well and looked better going forward although got caught out of position a couple of times in 2nd half.

Not sure why he changed the midfield but I suppose there was nothing riding on the game. Chambers got booked early on which really didn't help. I like Featherstone but he seems a bit erratic and likes a few too many turns. Brandy and Patty did ok but despite a willingness to run from both they often had better options which they bypassed being a little too selfish. No real cutting edge or end product from either and I really wish they would both learn to cross the ball as we really struggle when they keep coming inside looking for the glory instead of keeping the width.

I though Baxendale did ok but when he is on then pitch I think Grigg has to do too much in terms of aerial and holding up which often confuses the shape of the team despite its fluidity. He is a class and silky player with an eye for goal but didn't shine on what was a tough pitch despite looking nice and green. Difficult choice between him and westcarr who I thought did ok and nothing more really when he came on.

I think the criticism levelled at grigg's performance is unfair. He looked isolated for large parts of the game and Johnsons kicking often meant he had to drastically alter position to judge the landing of the ball (usually miles away from where he wanted it) and coupled with the wind due to the ground being so open it made life difficult. I think he looked frustrated, not disinterested, and this was down to him having to cope with more long ball than usual. When he did chase the ball down it was often out wide and despite putting in some good crosses there was nobody good enough at heading the ball tongrtnon the end. Despite having a young defensive partnership they were quite tall and dealt with any aerial threat well. Thatnisnwhy brandy and patty need to keep the width. That said Grigg created all of our best chances with some good footwork and perseverance and missed out on his 20th league goal due to the selfishness of westcarr who decided to shoot from the byline instead of squaring to Grigg for a tap in. He also could have had a pen in first half if he had gone down. One thing I thought he didn't do so well at was in the air as mentioned above but ref wasn't giving anything for pushing from defenders so he needs to be stronger on that regard.

All in all a much improved season and one which bodes well for the future if they can maintain/add to the current playing squad and keep the attractive style of play. Crewe - for all of their hype - were poor in my opinion and even the much lauded Murphy looked nothing more than average. It is clear that they get inflated fees for their players due to the hype surrounding the academy but maybe one or two of our squad will start to turn people's heads going forward as we have a lot of good and young talent!

One last thing. Just because players haven't signed yet doesn't mean they want out. These things often take time to sort and with the involvement of agents it is not quite as cut and dry it could be. Having said that we all know that if the club got a reasonable offer for any of the players that they would snap it up immediately so it is difficult to say that it is only the player that is disloyal. Until they are gone nobody knows what is going to happen so let's just wait and see.

Overall a tired performance but a great day out and a season to take many positives from, which is welcome relief after the last few struggles!! :D

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 am

fatboyslim wrote:I think the performance reflected a long and hard season in addition to the realisation that the play-offs were out of reach. Coupled with that it was probably quite strange to play in front of a crowd who barely concentrated on the game and were just in a general party mood (not a criticism in the slightest, just an observation).

I thought Johnstone was comfortable with his handling although should have saved the penalty (which never was) and also his kicking was very suspect....not for the first time. Still would love him to return on a season long loan as looks like he has a good future ahead of him.

James chambers was solid. Downing looked slightly more comfortable next to Holden which was pleasing although often a little indecisive in his passing. Was pleased to see this as worried that he might struggle without the support of Butler. It was probably eased by Holden having a better game. Bennington (who)?coped well and looked better going forward although got caught out of position a couple of times in 2nd half.

Not sure why he changed the midfield but I suppose there was nothing riding on the game. Chambers got booked early on which really didn't help. I like Featherstone but he seems a bit erratic and likes a few too many turns. Brandy and Patty did ok but despite a willingness to run from both they often had better options which they bypassed being a little too selfish. No real cutting edge or end product from either and I really wish they would both learn to cross the ball as we really struggle when they keep coming inside looking for the glory instead of keeping the width.

I though Baxendale Why does Deano keep substituting Baxendale everytime he starts? Only once has he played 1 full game when he's started and he's started a decent amount of games.did ok but when he is on then pitch I think Grigg has to do too much in terms of aerial and holding up which often confuses the shape of the team despite its fluidity. He is a class and silky player with an eye for goal but didn't shine on what was a tough pitch despite looking nice and green. Difficult choice between him and westcarr who I thought did ok and nothing more really when he came on.

I think the criticism levelled at grigg's performance is unfair. He looked isolated for large parts of the game and Johnsons kicking often meant he had to drastically alter position to judge the landing of the ball (usually miles away from where he wanted it) and coupled with the wind due to the ground being so open it made life difficult. I think he looked frustrated, not disinterested, and this was down to him having to cope with more long ball than usual. When he did chase the ball down it was often out wide and despite putting in some good crosses there was nobody good enough at heading the ball tongrtnon the end. Despite having a young defensive partnership they were quite tall and dealt with any aerial threat well. Thatnisnwhy brandy and patty need to keep the width. That said Grigg created all of our best chances with some good footwork and perseverance and missed out on his 20th league goal due to the selfishness of westcarr who decided to shoot from the byline instead of squaring to Grigg for a tap in. He also could have had a pen in first half if he had gone down. One thing I thought he didn't do so well at was in the air as mentioned above but ref wasn't giving anything for pushing from defenders so he needs to be stronger on that regard.

All in all a much improved season and one which bodes well for the future if they can maintain/add to the current playing squad and keep the attractive style of play. Crewe - for all of their hype - were poor in my opinion and even the much lauded Murphy looked nothing more than average. It is clear that they get inflated fees for their players due to the hype surrounding the academy but maybe one or two of our squad will start to turn people's heads going forward as we have a lot of good and young talent!

One last thing. Just because players haven't signed yet doesn't mean they want out. These things often take time to sort and with the involvement of agents it is not quite as cut and dry it could be. Having said that we all know that if the club got a reasonable offer for any of the players that they would snap it up immediately so it is difficult to say that it is only the player that is disloyal. Until they are gone nobody knows what is going to happen so let's just wait and see.

Overall a tired performance but a great day out and a season to take many positives from, which is welcome relief after the last few struggles!! :D

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

Willenhall - I meant Benning....bloody predictive text on my mobile. Not sure about why he brings off Bax so much. I think it is probably due to him lacking the physical side of the game when it becomes a bit scrappy towards the end with tired legs. Having said that you would think keeping him on with his agility and fitness would create more problems at this time....who knows! I like Baxendale though - will come very good I think if given more game time.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm

fatboyslim wrote:Willenhall - I meant Benning....bloody predictive text on my mobile. Not sure about why he brings off Bax so much.

To be fair, if Baxendale starts, he usually looks shagged after 70 mins. The lad puts in the running thats for sure.

I agree too, i think Baxendale has the potential to be a cracking player.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm

latviancheese wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:Willenhall - I meant Benning....bloody predictive text on my mobile. Not sure about why he brings off Bax so much.

To be fair, if Baxendale starts, he usually looks shagged after 70 mins. The lad puts in the running thats for sure.

I agree too, i think Baxendale has the potential to be a cracking player.

ive said already, i would be shocked if that lad leaves us without some good money being exchanged.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 pm

if only we could find a way to get more than 13 points from our last 10 games -which is what has happened over the last 3 seasons but Smith has done a great job considering only 23 teams had a lower average attendance in the top 4 divisions. well supported teams due to come into the league will provide a big test next year especially if Grigg and Patterson dont start the season as Saddlers.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

Cowshed wrote:if only we could find a way to get more than 13 points from our last 10 games -which is what has happened over the last 3 seasons but Smith has done a great job considering only 23 teams had a lower average attendance in the top 4 divisions. well supported teams due to come into the league will provide a big test next year especially if Grigg and Patterson dont start the season as Saddlers.

Good point on the attendances, Cowshed. For the record, our average home gate for 2012-13 was 4,234, a decrease of 40 on the previous season, with a 'home' average of 3,651.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:if only we could find a way to get more than 13 points from our last 10 games -which is what has happened over the last 3 seasons but Smith has done a great job considering only 23 teams had a lower average attendance in the top 4 divisions. well supported teams due to come into the league will provide a big test next year especially if Grigg and Patterson dont start the season as Saddlers.

Good point on the attendances, Cowshed. For the record, our average home gate for 2012-13 was 4,234, a decrease of 40 on the previous season, with a 'home' average of 3,651.

Should be bumped up a lot with higher season tickets and a lot of local games, especially if we're doing well. Closer to 5,000 and 4,000 I'd hope.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:49 pm

L - PERIOD

:arrow:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season