Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 5/5/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: MK Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 5/5/12.

Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm

On a Tuesday though?

I'd have gone for around 1.5K, but I've never seen us in the PO's.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Can't remember how many went to Bristol City in 88, but I am pretty sure it was more than 1.5k.

We took 1500 to Crewe in 1992 (i think it was) but that was all the tickets we were given.

We obviously took loads to Stoke.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 3:29 pm

we took around 3000 to Brizzle City as far as I can remember.

800 is shocking, but they won't even approach that if they lose the first leg. Apparently they didn't even sell out against Peterborough last year in play offs and that is localish or them

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:we took around 3000 to Brizzle City as far as I can remember.

800 is shocking, but they won't even approach that if they lose the first leg. Apparently they didn't even sell out against Peterborough last year in play offs and that is localish or them

Yeah think it was 3000, and they were all needed too after the game :shock:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm

3,000? Large.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Darth Vader wrote:3,000? Large.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLf8U9vRfqo[/youtube]

there you go.

It's on there twice, second video is better quality.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Absolute monster following that.

When the chips are down our away support is second to none, just a shame we can't even muster up 300 for Bury away nowadays, or a smooth 1k to Notts.

Had a glance at the 06/07 away figures in an old programme and they're really top, averaged over 1,000 in the League, 900 odd in all competitions and the lowest following was 430 odd away to Grimsby. P*ssing the league or not that's some corking stuff, beating the likes of Swindon who averaged thousands more than us. Then we averaged 560 odd in the League One season afterwards, respectable enough again. Now we just break the 300 mark, and that's usually just because of the final day thousand. Shame.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Absolute monster following that.

When the chips are down our away support is second to none, just a shame we can't even muster up 300 for Bury away nowadays, or a smooth 1k to Notts.

Had a glance at the 06/07 away figures in an old programme and they're really top, averaged over 1,000 in the League, 900 odd in all competitions and the lowest following was 430 odd away to Grimsby. P*ssing the league or not that's some corking stuff, beating the likes of Swindon who averaged thousands more than us. Then we averaged 560 odd in the League One season afterwards, respectable enough again. Now we just break the 300 mark, and that's usually just because of the final day thousand. Shame.

Proof, if ever there was one, that regardless of the quality of football, most just want to be following a successful team.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Probably true, but the away following has dwindled regardless of league position anyways...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Probably true, but the away following has dwindled regardless of league position anyways...

Not really, if we had a good season (as if) they would soon creep back up. They did used to be bigger without a doubt, but we still have the abilty to attract a good following. Just need something to shout about really, even a cup run (what?) or whatever.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Didn't mean it like that, meant if we we're in the same position as we are now, 10 or so years back, we'd probably average more?

But yes, something to shout about and they'll be back in numbers.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Didn't mean it like that, meant if we we're in the same position as we are now, 10 or so years back, we'd probably average more?

But yes, something to shout about and they'll be back in numbers.

Almost certainly, under Big Fat Jan, we almost went down, but followings were still good. Although we did have some cup runs, and played some attacking football at times.

PT
Site Addict

Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 am

I think our away followings have become older over the years. It seems to be the same 200 faces give or take that were going 20 years ago.

I think the modern awayday experience is the reason. Firstly, even taking into account inflation, it is a far more expensive day out so teenagers/early 20's need to find at least £50 thesedays. Also, I'd imagine it to be less of a buzz. At my age, I'm quite grateful for that, as I can wonder around the local pubs without any worry or concern for my safety, but as an 18 year old I'd have thought I could have had a very similar day out just going to my local as the real or perceived "danger" factor has disappeared. Then if you have a couple too many there's always an over zealous steward in the away end who really wants to spoil your day whereas a few years ago, the away terrace was an "anything goes" environment provided you stayed in the end you were given and didn't chuck anything.

like i say, at 40 that isn't too much of a problem but at 18 I'd have thought I could have far more fun with £50 by staying at home.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu May 10, 2012 8:18 am

PT wrote:I think our away followings have become older over the years. It seems to be the same 200 faces give or take that were going 20 years ago.

I think the modern awayday experience is the reason. Firstly, even taking into account inflation, it is a far more expensive day out so teenagers/early 20's need to find at least £50 thesedays. Also, I'd imagine it to be less of a buzz. At my age, I'm quite grateful for that, as I can wonder around the local pubs without any worry or concern for my safety, but as an 18 year old I'd have thought I could have had a very similar day out just going to my local as the real or perceived "danger" factor has disappeared. Then if you have a couple too many there's always an over zealous steward in the away end who really wants to spoil your day whereas a few years ago, the away terrace was an "anything goes" environment provided you stayed in the end you were given and didn't chuck anything.

like i say, at 40 that isn't too much of a problem but at 18 I'd have thought I could have far more fun with £50 by staying at home.

True about the money, I remember going to Scarborough when I was about 17 (Early 90s) and some of the guys on the Van refused to go in cos it was £8 :lol:

Some of the faces from the 80s have dissapeared and show up randomly sometimes, like at Nott's County, and MK, but yeah there are a lot of the same faces that have always gone, and probably always will.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am

Locked up probably. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 pm

It ay just the ticket price, trains are stupid prices, petrol is sky high, and then you add beer and maybe food, plus a programme. :(

Us scutters without proper jobs just cor afford it.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri May 11, 2012 4:09 pm

latviancheese wrote:trains are stupid prices.

£14 for me and my lad return to Bletchley.

I've got a return to London on Virgin in July for £15.

Train fares don't have to be stupid prices.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri May 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Train's ain't bad at times, especially in advance.

I know Orient fans got an ace deal to us first game of the season, why they brought so many.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Fri May 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
PT wrote:I think our away followings have become older over the years. It seems to be the same 200 faces give or take that were going 20 years ago.

True about the money, I remember going to Scarborough when I was about 17 (Early 90s) and some of the guys on the Van refused to go in cos it was £8 :lol:

Some of the faces from the 80s have dissapeared and show up randomly sometimes, like at Nott's County, and MK, but yeah there are a lot of the same faces that have always gone, and probably always will.

There were plenty of faces/ lads at MK!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 am

tinned wrote:

But when they are it's Thatcher's fault. FACT.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu May 17, 2012 12:37 am

tinned wrote:

Fair enough but i never really know if i can afford it that far in advance :(

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 am

tinned wrote:

HS2 will be. It seems it's not meant for "ordinary people".

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat May 19, 2012 2:01 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
tinned wrote:

Not a fan? Thought it was a great idea for Londoners. Shame they never think of the rest of the country. :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
tinned wrote:Train fares don't have to be stupid prices.

Not a fan? Thought it was a great idea for Londoners. Shame they never think of the rest of the country. :wink:

HS2 is/will be an abomination. Hopefully, it will never see the light of day - but, of course, only after the Government (of any political colour) has wasted millions of pounds of taxpayers' money on it.

P.S. I have heard a rumour that HS2 was scheduled to pass through the grounds of Cully Castle, just outside Rugeley. Apparently a special, private station was to be built to avoid the local lord of the manor having to mix with the great unwashed.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat May 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
tinned wrote:Train fares don't have to be stupid prices.

HS2 is/will be an abomination. Hopefully, it will never see the light of day - but, of course, only after the Government (of any political colour) has wasted millions of pounds of taxpayers' money on it.

P.S. I have heard a rumour that HS2 was scheduled to pass through the grounds of Cully Castle, just outside Rugeley. Apparently a special, private station was to be built to avoid the local lord of the manor having to mix with the great unwashed.

I'm sure Saigon could be deployed, to collect the passenger tolls.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:P.S. I have heard a rumour that HS2 was scheduled to pass through the grounds of Cully Castle, just outside Rugeley. Apparently a special, private station was to be built to avoid the local lord of the manor having to mix with the great unwashed.

I'm sure Saigon could be deployed, to collect the passenger tolls.

I'll see if I have have time after mucking out the stables and cleaning the moat. :D

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season