Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 28/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 28/4/12.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

My relief at us staying up is tempered by the thought that we will be going through the same thing again next season.

In the course of his speech prior to presenting the excellent Cuvalier with his MOTM Award, Roy Whalley mentioned that he'd helped us to achieve our goal of remaining in the division. Dismal but, sadly, true and I see little prospect of things being much different next season.

I'm relieved that Hudds weren't out of sight by the end of the first half after what was as disjointed a 45 minutes as I've seen from us this season. Granted Hudds are a good team but we had no method, structure or commitment. Second half, as others have said, was a different story. Cuvelier's control of the ball and turn when he took his goal was the standout moment of the game. a proper player whose skill, industry and commitment is worthy of a higher stage than we can offer him.

I'd be surprised if Macken was with us next season. I think it's time for him call it a day, especially if the alternative is to plough a lonely furrow up front for another season. A player who I hated when he's played against us in the past and someone I wish we could have had in his prime.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:10 pm

mel58 wrote:My relief at us staying up is tempered by the thought that we will be going through the same thing again next season.

In the course of his speech prior to presenting the excellent Cuvalier with his MOTM Award, Roy Whalley mentioned that he'd helped us to achieve our goal of remaining in the division. Dismal but, sadly, true and I see little prospect of things being much different next season.

I'm relieved that Hudds weren't out of sight by the end of the first half after what was as disjointed a 45 minutes as I've seen from us this season. Granted Hudds are a good team but we had no method, structure or commitment. Second half, as others have said, was a different story. Cuvelier's control of the ball and turn when he took his goal was the standout moment of the game. a proper player whose skill, industry and commitment is worthy of a higher stage than we can offer him.

I'd be surprised if Macken was with us next season. I think it's time for him call it a day, especially if the alternative is to plough a lonely furrow up front for another season. A player who I hated when he's played against us in the past and someone I wish we could have had in his prime.

It's time for Macken to call it a day because he's slower than me (and i'm slow) and is 12 months past his best. No other reason.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:13 pm

mel58 wrote:In the course of his speech prior to presenting the excellent Cuvalier with his MOTM Award, Roy Whalley mentioned that he'd helped us to achieve our goal of remaining in the division. Dismal but, sadly, true and I see little prospect of things being much different next season.

In all fairness, when Cuvelier signed, that was our main objective. Had we got our act together in pre-season and not gone through the motions for so long just before Christmas, our 'goal' might have been different.

This summer will be much the same as any pre-season from the last decade. The majority of our disposable squad will go their separate ways and the ginger Mourinho will be left to build a whole new team, hoping he can stumble upon the winning formula.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Although mightily relieved about staying up I cant help thinking again it was by defaullt. Any team that cannot find 50 points in 46 games should be relegated.

i've supported this club for a very long time and our natural league position should be mid table league 1. we seem to be a long way off this at present.

Is there a new Ray Graydon out there?

As this is a match thread i should note that in a must win game against a team who seemed to not care too much (leading scorer in the div on the bench)we were rubbish for the first 45 and should have been 3 down.

Thank you again to other teams! Enough said!

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Slade wrote:Congratulations gentlemen ... see you next year despite our best efforts to go to Fleetwood !

Yeah, good on ya Russ. Fight you for 20th place next year again...

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:27 pm

kshammer wrote:
mel58 wrote:My relief at us staying up is tempered by the thought that we will be going through the same thing again next season.

It's time for Macken to call it a day because he's slower than me (and i'm slow) and is 12 months past his best. No other reason.

When he was substituted today I said to my daughter that it wouldn't surprise me if this was the last time we saw him play at Bescot.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 pm

m&m wrote:Although mightily relieved about staying up I cant help thinking again it was by defaullt. Any team that cannot find 50 points in 46 games should be relegated.

I'd be inclined to agree, but looking around the leagues, 50 points haven't been needed for survival in any of the FL's three divisions. I think that says something about how evenly matched many of the teams in each league are.

On the subject of ifs and buts, had we won half of the games we've drawn and lost the other half, we'd be sitting pretty in 11th place in the league. That tells you all you need to know about our areas of weakness this season.

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Erm... isn't that what supporting Walsall is generally about?
Nobody seriously thought we would stay up this season. Or last season. By rights, we should be down.
I'm stoked that we've stayed up - well chuffed. And I've enjoyed the last few weeks, and even the ups and downs today.
Imagine supporting someone like Everton, with no excitement in your life, ever.
Stuff that.
UTS.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:37 pm

traymondo wrote:

Nobody seriously thought we would stay up this season. Or last season. By rights, we should be down.
I'm stoked that we've stayed up - well chuffed. And I've enjoyed the last few weeks, and even the ups and downs today.
Stuff that.
UTS.

I agree with both sides here. I think the worst thing now is, there is no real hope of a good season. We have suffered the bad times all our lives, but there was always hope we would have a good season, this has faded and died now.

However, being a Walsall fan is brilliant. I wouldn't change it for the world. It would take me to long to write everything that is good about being a Walsall fan. I love it, and I love Walsall F.C with all my heart and soul. Super Saddlers.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 pm

traymondo wrote:Imagine supporting someone like Everton, with no excitement in your life, ever.
Stuff that.
UTS.

What, a trip to Wembley this season, European football for three seasons out of the last eight and an FA Cup final three years ago.

Bad example there, mate - should have gone for someone like Macclesfield. :wink:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Decent video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Ze0Js4kyA[/youtube]

The reds are staying up! :D

*features a pathetic pitch invasion.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
traymondo wrote:Imagine supporting someone like Everton, with no excitement in your life, ever.
Stuff that.
UTS.

What, a trip to Wembley this season, European football for three seasons out of the last eight and an FA Cup final three years ago.

Bad example there, mate - should have gone for someone like Macclesfield. :wink:

Yeah... must be rubbish to watch Cahill, Fellaini, Pienaar, Jelavic, Baines etc every week.

SWS1

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:15 pm

yoda wrote:Well, I guess we're making progress- Last year we survived on the last day, this year we did it with a game to spare! :lol:

I guess we might just make the same amount of progress next season. :|

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Dreadful first half, much improved second half and a lovely Flo goal to sign off the season and avert relegation for a second year running [only one week earlier].

The hard work for next season starts here. UTS :)

4,149 Saddlers 'officially' in an overall crowd of 4,646.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 pm

SWS1 wrote:
yoda wrote:Well, I guess we're making progress- Last year we survived on the last day, this year we did it with a game to spare! :lol:

I guess we might just make the same amount of progress next season. :|

Let's keep moving in the right direction - at this rate, we'll make the playoffs around 2028.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

I'd take survival again next year right now. I just dont have confidence in Dean Smith.

But , stuff it. Ive been out for celebrataroty beverages and am still estatic. The reds are staying up!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 am

Phew.

BarryWindham

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 am

if macken leaves id like to thank him for how well he has done for us the time he has been at the club

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 am

Exile wrote:Phew.

There were a few 'phews' in HK too.

Slade

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:45 am

traymondo wrote:
Slade wrote:Congratulations gentlemen ... see you next year despite our best efforts to go to Fleetwood !

Yeah, good on ya Russ. Fight you for 20th place next year again...

Hey we've still got the crucial "Champions League style" battle for 19th place this season yet !

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 am

traymondo wrote:

Stuff that.
UTS.

I'm old enough to remember many years when we seemed to be, to quote a phrase popular at the time, "Fighting against promotion" from this league rather than doing our best to stay in the division. I suppose it depends upon your perspective and expectations.

Like you, I'll be be watching which ever league we are in but the prospect of, once again, having to to wait until well past Christmas before we have a squad which will afford us the prospect of having a chance of remaining in the division doesn't have me enthralled.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 am

traymondo wrote:

Stuff that.
UTS.

I thought we should have vastly improved from last season, we didn't, you could easily argue it was worse. Smith's new manager syndrome stats at the back end of last season were better than this season and it was HIS team that HE picked including a pre-season.

Im thoroughly depressed at the very thought that we just managed to stay up, there are no tactics, people say Smith doesn't have a plan B, for all I can see there isn't a plan A. The closest I can come to in assessing Dean Smith's tactics are that he can organise the defence......... erm, that's it.

The budget was blown on some of the worst players Ive ever seen at Walsall and every signing that came in failed to address the particular position in the team that needed improving. There is absolutely no sign of good wide play or exciting attacking football and worst of all is that we might be signing Nicholls AGAIN :cry:

As I walked away from the ground a minute before the final whistle I could hear cheering and celebration (there was even a pitch invasion? :shock: ). Walsall FC should not be anywhere near the relegation zone, what a rubbish season.

bangsection
Site Addict

Huddersfield Town (H) League 1 Saturday 28/4/12.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:34 am

saddlerken wrote:Walsall FC should not be anywhere near the relegation zone

Why?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

BathSaddler wrote:Dreadful first half, much improved second half and a lovely Flo goal to sign off the season and avert relegation for a second year running [only one week earlier].

The hard work for next season starts here. UTS :)

4,149 Saddlers 'officially' in an overall crowd of 4,646.

At this rate of progress, we will be ready to mount a play off push in 13 years :lol:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 am

bangsection wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Walsall FC should not be anywhere near the relegation zone

Why?

Because the budget has been jizzed up the wall on utter rubbish. If the budget was used on better players in positions where we needed those players then we would be nowhere near the relegation zone. This isn't some kind of self righteous 'Walsall are too big a club or too good a club' to be in this position. It is based on what has happened in pre-season and throughout the season.

Im not getting into the whole budget restriction debate when it comes to 'the board' (if indeed it is that bad), it's a bit pointless since there isn't a league table of budgets (is there one?) but going on the shear wastefulness this season on what Smith had to play with then we shouldn't be in this pitiful position.

Quite clearly our average attendances (19th) do reflect our league position (even though 4 of the 5 clubs below us in the attendance rankings are above us in the table) but that doesn't take into account our off the field income streams.

Some tactics would also help things along.

It's a great shame that the level of expectation of the average Walsall fan is now a relegation battle and satisfaction of a 20th place finish

#demoralising

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:59 am

mel58 wrote:I'm old enough to remember many years when we seemed to be, to quote a phrase popular at the time, "Fighting against promotion" from this league rather than doing our best to stay in the division. I suppose it depends upon your perspective and expectations.

Like you, I'll be be watching which ever league we are in but the prospect of, once again, having to to wait until well past Christmas before we have a squad which will afford us the prospect of having a chance of remaining in the division doesn't have me enthralled.

Mel58, like a lot of Walsall fans your memory seems to be wanting to validate your view that it has "never been as cack as now".

I too remember the period when people used to talk about Walsall's annual fight against promotion. This was in the 80's when Buckley's teams and then Coakley's first season saw us knock on the door but never quite get in.

But re-wind to Buckley's first two seasons in the third tier and they were remarkably similar to Dean Smith's first two seasons. In 1981 we finished 20th and only stayed up on the last day of the season at Sheff Utd (scary day) and the season afterwards we also finished 20th staying up on goal difference to send Wimbledon down. Crowds were about 1000 short of where they have been this season.

What did the board do? They stuck with their young manager and trusted that he would get better - and he did - to the point where we had a team that played some of the most attractive football in the entire league and fought out some great cup runs and battles at the right end of the league.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 am

Very romantic PT but have you heard Smith's interviews? The bloke is thick.

I wasn't watching Walsall in 1981 so I can't draw upon your comparison.

Based on what I see now, no actual tactics to our play, a complete lack of wide play, a narrow midfield, no imagination in the final 3rd, an addiction to draws and some of the worst signings Ive ever seen I can't even hope for the future you dream of. Im dreading next seasons Jarvis, Pertalin, Halliday, Chambers, Hurst, Beevers, Martin and the re-signing of Nicholls and Taundry.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:28 am

saddlerken wrote:Very romantic PT but have you heard Smith's interviews? The bloke is thick.

I wasn't watching Walsall in 1981 so I can't draw upon your comparison.

Based on what I see now, no actual tactics to our play, a complete lack of wide play, a narrow midfield, no imagination in the final 3rd, an addiction to draws and some of the worst signings Ive ever seen I can't even hope for the future you dream of. Im dreading next seasons Jarvis, Pertalin, Halliday, Chambers, Hurst, Beevers, Martin and the re-signing of Nicholls and Taundry.

I disagree to a point. We've played with two wingers all season and if you look at the goals at home to sheff utd you'll see some great wing play. We've taken the lead in so many games and done so well against the top sides that a lot must be right. The initial selection, tactics and motivation all look sound to me. What could cost Dean are his "in play" tactics and management which have been shocking, truly shocking.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:30 am

PT wrote:
Mel58, like a lot of Walsall fans your memory seems to be wanting to validate your view that it has "never been as guano as now".

I don't feel that at all but I do feel that given the circumstances the club is in I think it likely that next season will be much the same as this has been and that there's a realistic prospect of us being relegated. From there we might rebuild, under Smith or maybe under the management of someone else, in the same way we did under Buckley, and then have a team that is, generally more on the up than on the down in terms of league performance and might do something in some cup competitions, but I don't think it likely.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 am

I should be clearer, most managers set up with a 4 man midfield, it's all they know really, but wide men should go forward as well as back up the full backs. I prefer our full backs to back up our wingers who in turn should be able to cross.

Taundry was our right winger yesterday and Nicholls on the left, it doesn't get worse than that in terms of quality. If either one of them is keeping Hurst out then Hurst should consider retirement from professional football.

PS, Sadler would be better on the wing than those pair.

What happened to wingers getting to the byline and whipping cross's in? If the manager can't/won't bring in someone who can then at least get them on the training ground attempting 1-2's/1 touch football/getting it wide quickly/stretching the opposition/overlapping full backs etc etc. Im sick of seeing players out of position. There can be no excuses.

Any good attacking play this season is because of Ledesma or Flo and a month long period a few weeks back is the only reason we are still a division 3 side

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season