Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 21/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 21/4/12.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I've just actually managed to find it on BBC i-Player, and it has to be amongst the most blatant disallowed goal errors that I have ever seen in the whole of my 55 years of watching football. I am truly gobsmacked that a referee and his two assistants could all miss that ball hitting the back of the net.

The E&S still said today that the ball hit both posts, but no way, it went straight in, hit the back of the net low down, and came back out onto the left-hand post. That is a truly terrible, disgraceful, appalling error by the officials that just can't be put right at this stage of the season except by a replay of the game - and we know that won't happen.

I would not previously have believed that such a clear cut goal could ever be missed, and to listen to the Exeter manager, after the match, having the gall to say they deserved the win, just adds insult to injury.

This puts a totally different slant on my thoughts about last Saturday's result, and if this costs us a place in League One, it will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace. :twisted: :twisted:

They did deserve to win.

Maybe as the game developed, but if that goal had been correctly awarded and we'd been 2 up, would Exeter players' heads have dropped and Walsall gone on to make the score more emphatic? We'll never know of course, but Exeter should have been 2 goals down, and the whole game would have continued differently from the actual outcome.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I've just actually managed to find it on BBC i-Player, and it has to be amongst the most blatant disallowed goal errors that I have ever seen in the whole of my 55 years of watching football. I am truly gobsmacked that a referee and his two assistants could all miss that ball hitting the back of the net.

The E&S still said today that the ball hit both posts, but no way, it went straight in, hit the back of the net low down, and came back out onto the left-hand post. That is a truly terrible, disgraceful, appalling error by the officials that just can't be put right at this stage of the season except by a replay of the game - and we know that won't happen.

I would not previously have believed that such a clear cut goal could ever be missed, and to listen to the Exeter manager, after the match, having the gall to say they deserved the win, just adds insult to injury.

This puts a totally different slant on my thoughts about last Saturday's result, and if this costs us a place in League One, it will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace. :twisted: :twisted:

They did deserve to win.

Maybe as the game developed, but if that goal had been correctly awarded and we'd been 2 up, would Exeter players' heads have dropped and Walsall gone on to make the score more emphatic? We'll never know of course, but Exeter should have been 2 goals down, and the whole game would have continued differently from the actual outcome.

Did Rochdales head drop? Yes, but we still fudged it up. It's obviously a ridiculous decision, as was the sending off, but there are other things that need worrying about to be honest. Despite both of those incidents, we should have won the game, the same as Rochdale, and countless other times this season. What the Exeter manager said is quite correct, Exeter deserved to win the game, or mabye if you want to put another twist on it, we deserved to lose.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

The ball hit both posts not back of the net but clearly crossed the line.

http://ecfc.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f94702b4b59a.flv

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:33 pm

I don't agree.

If you watch the BBC iplayer footage, the ball hits the white waterbottle in the back of the net in the centre, and bounces back out.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks for the link Graydon48.

I spent some time this morning trying to see any evidence for the ball hitting the right post, and convinced myself that it could not have done so, but the video from behind the goal shows that that it does indeed hit it. Apologies to all concerned. Looking at that video, and in particular hearing the thud as it hits the post means that I was wrong.

Warsaw Pact wrote:If you watch the BBC iplayer footage, the ball hits the white waterbottle in the back of the net in the centre, and bounces back out.

I think you could well be right about that but after my earlier mistake I am not going to leave it to others to decide.

In any case it was undeniably a goal which should have been given.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 am

Well, well, well! This brings our total points thrown away to 29!

Sorry just incase you do not have your readers on thats 29

Incredibly frustrating! It seemed that as we brought Westlake on, so having two right backs on the field we got torn apart on that side!

As soon as Manny was booked he should have been brought off at half time, however it was never a second yellow, we should have lined up like this;

------------------------Grof---------------

Taundry---Lancashire---Butler---Sadler
Hurst-----Cuvelier---Mantom---Paterson
-------------------Nicholls------------

Should have said to Nicholls chase everything and we may have looked more solid!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:44 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:Well, well, well! This brings our total points thrown away to 29!

Incredibly frustrating! It seemed that as we brought Westlake on, so having two right backs on the field we got torn apart on that side!

As soon as Manny was booked he should have been brought off at half time, however it was never a second yellow, we should have lined up like this;

Should have said to Nicholls chase everything and we may have looked more solid!

You can't just take a defender off cos he got booked, that's a bit over the top in my opinion. It was never a second yellow, but these things happen. The way we were letting balls in behind the defence, it was always likely they were going to get behind us.

The damage was already done when Westlake came on. Yes he was shocking, in performance, and in effort levels, disgraceful for the latter to be honest. Who brings on a right back for a striker when you are losing ?

Anyway, despite the goal that wasn't given, and the fact Smith was harshly sent off, we still should have won the game, it has happened far to many times this season, as you have pointed out. I'm pretty sure Butler should have got a straight red for the " tackle" when they scored their 4th. Even though he scored, surely it's still a dangerous 2 footed lunge. That would have left us in a pretty bad situation for Saturday wouldn't it?

I have no sympathy for this team, or it's manager, because it is constantly making the same errors. The defence looked worse Saturday, than I have seen it all season, we were being cut open every time they went forward second half, not even with good football most the time, just long through balls that weren't being dealt with. I obviously want us to stay up, but in all honesty, if we go down, it will be what we deserve.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I have no sympathy for this team, or it's manager, because it is constantly making the same errors.

I agree, and that's exactly how I've felt since around October.

You can apply that belief to repeated errors, from the persistence with Westlake (I don't care if we have a small squad - he gets absolutely destroyed by whoever we're playing every time we play) through to Dean's post match comments and his complete refusal to take any responsibility for poor performances or tactical misjudgements.

Westlake wasn't the reason we lost on Saturday, nor was Kevan Hurst, or Alex Nicholls. But when you have to rely on the likes of these three to get you through a season, it's fairly likely that your campaign won't be a successful one. Sorry to put it that bluntly, but it's true. And the worst thing is, their manager lets them get away with inconsistencies and poor performances on a regular basis.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:Well, well, well! This brings our total points thrown away to 29!

Someone should tell Smith you are allowed to make a double substitution a right back and a striker replacing a right back and a striker instead of doing it one at a time and ending up with 2 confused right backs on the pitch. He did the same at Rochdale the man is clueless.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Graydon48 wrote:The ball hit both posts not back of the net but clearly crossed the line.

http://ecfc.vidmeup.com/view?q=4f94702b4b59a.flv

without any doubt

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:45 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I have no sympathy for this team, or it's manager, because it is constantly making the same errors.

I agree, and that's exactly how I've felt since around October.

You can apply that belief to repeated errors, from the persistence with Westlake (I don't care if we have a small squad - he gets absolutely destroyed by whoever we're playing every time we play) through to Dean's post match comments and his complete refusal to take any responsibility for poor performances or tactical misjudgements.

Westlake wasn't the reason we lost on Saturday, nor was Kevan Hurst, or Alex Nicholls. But when you have to rely on the likes of these three to get you through a season, it's fairly likely that your campaign won't be a successful one. Sorry to put it that bluntly, but it's true. And the worst thing is, their manager lets them get away with inconsistencies and poor performances on a regular basis.

I agree, but I also think, that even with our limited bunch of players, we still could and should have had at least an extra 10 points on the board. Dean Smith frustrates the life out of me. I want him to do well, I really really do want him to be a decent manager. I think it would do the club wonders to have a young manager they could persist with for 4 or 5 years. He just isn't getting it though is he? You watch the same old mistakes over and over again.

We spoke to him breifly after the Rochdale away game, and no doubt he was still a bit sore, but his attitude to be quite frank, was disgusting. Apparently it was a good result, and we didn't throw it away. Like that's not the end of the world, but it shows a lot about how he thinks. Anyway, it's an odd situation, I don't want us to sack him, I'd just like him to pull his finger out, and learn from his mistakes, rather than being so defensive about himself. He was happy enough to take the credit last season (rightly so) so now it's time for him to face the music a bit, and take responsablity for some of what is going on week in week out.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 pm

You're right, massively frustrating. But to add some balance, we've taken the lead in so many games that a lot of things must be right. The preparation, the initial selection, the initial tactics and the initial motivation. Basically everything a manager and his team work on during the week. In fact all of that initial stuff is play-off material. He deserves credit for the amount of times we've taken the game to the opposition and secured an advantage that reflects his selection, tactics and motivation.

Trouble is, as a game unfolds there are a lot (though not an infinite amount) of variables and Dean doesn't seem capable of managing those variables in play and unfortunately he doesn't seem capable of learning from instances when a game repeats one of these variables from a previous game. In other words he isn't learning from his mistakes and that will probably cost him his managerial career at some stage reasonably soon.

I think he deserved a full season and I wouldn't be completely averse to him being in charge at the beginning of next season (regardless of division), but would offer nowhere near as much patience as this season because his mid-match management hasn't earned it.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 pm

PT wrote:I think he deserved a full season and I wouldn't be completely averse to him being in charge at the beginning of next season (regardless of division), but would offer nowhere near as much patience as this season because his mid-match management hasn't earned it.

Appointing a decent assistant would be the best transfer we could sign all summer. Nothing against Neil Woods, he just needs to get back to the day job. Oh for a Dave Merrington.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

PT wrote:

You're right, massively frustrating. But to add some balance, we've taken the lead in so many games that a lot of things must be right. The preparation, the initial selection, the initial tactics and the initial motivation. Basically everything a manager and his team work on during the week. In fact all of that initial stuff is play-off material. He deserves credit for the amount of times we've taken the game to the opposition and secured an advantage that reflects his selection, tactics and motivation.

Trouble is, as a game unfolds there are a lot (though not an infinite amount) of variables and Dean doesn't seem capable of managing those variables in play and unfortunately he doesn't seem capable of learning from instances when a game repeats one of these variables from a previous game. In other words he isn't learning from his mistakes and that will probably cost him his managerial career at some stage reasonably soon.

I think he deserved a full season and I wouldn't be completely averse to him being in charge at the beginning of next season (regardless of division), but would offer nowhere near as much patience as this season because his mid-match management hasn't earned it.

I'd go along with both these posts.

As for the disallowed goal. It occured at 0-0, and the cynic in me said had we already been 0-1 up we wouldn't have scored then when we did and the half time scoreline would have been as it was. I don't believe it cost us the game. Infact I think it made no difference at all.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I also thought it was at 0-0 too, but seeing as everyone seemed to say it was at 1-0, I thought I must have been mistaken. I had a clearer head on Saturday than I usually do too!

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I also thought it was at 0-0 too, but seeing as everyone seemed to say it was at 1-0, I thought I must have been mistaken. I had a clearer head on Saturday than I usually do too!

It was definitely 0-0 at the time.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, definitely, right at the start wasn't it?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
PT wrote:

As for the disallowed goal. It occured at 0-0, and the cynic in me said had we already been 0-1 up we wouldn't have scored then when we did and the half time scoreline would have been as it was. I don't believe it cost us the game. Infact I think it made no difference at all.

I tend to agree. You cannot know what might have happened if the goal had been given . Both sides would have reacted differently.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:54 am

Bernie wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:This was shown in passing at the start of the FL Show. At this point the ball is spinning slightly forwards towards the left-hand post. It hit the right hand post and bounced down behind the keeper, so you can't see the ball at that point, which is when it would have been furthest over the line. Then it bounces a second time - shown in this pic - before hitting the post.

Thanks for the tip, I did not look at the start of the FL Show. I think that if you watch it again or look at the screenshots you will agree that it is clear that the ball went nowhere the right post, but hit the back of the net.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The link to the iPlayer of the show is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_04_2012/ and the clip in question is at about 1.29

Totally unrelated to this thread actually, but a question for you.

How do you get good quality still pictures like that off a video?

I have found an old video on You Tube of Walsall winning at Preston, and after we equalise, it pans to the Walsall fans quite close in, and there is a breif clip of my Dad celebrating. Have tried capturing it, but I only have paint to do anything with it, and it's not great quality at all. Obviously the youtube video isn't going to be as great quality as the Iplayer, but it isn't to bad.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, would be great to get a decent picture off. I have very few pics of my Dad as I like to remember him, and that was him at his best, following the lads. It's really funny actually, cos you can actually see him say, "have that" :lol:

Cheers Blazing

edit

Video in question.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkxlNySI5Xw[/youtube]

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:18 pm

longdogs wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Yeovil won't be a push-over at home, they never are

They've lost 10 home league matches this season. Only Orient and Hartlepool have lost more. Even we have only lost 7.
and have been on decent form these last few weeks.

Yeovil's last 7 league games : P7 W1 D2 L4.

Tsk... you can prove anything with facts....

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:
PT wrote:

I tend to agree. You cannot know what might have happened if the goal had been given . Both sides would have reacted differently.

What a crock of guano. Why is goal-line technology being trialled in the next month? Cos goals are important. Some might say the most important part of the game?

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season