Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 21/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
yoda
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 21/4/12.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm still very sore about this game, so I'm finding it quite hard to deal with our boys on Twitter this afternoon ranting and raving about Man United and how the red devils are "real football" and how man u are so great.

I dont know why this is bugging me; I dont expect players to sit in a darkened room all week when they've lost but I cant help thinking this is a bit inappropriate (especially from Mannie Smith) given most there followers are Walsall fans.

Is this a fair comment or am I still just peeved off about yesterday still?

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Jorge14 wrote:We have dropped points (including 6 against Exeter and 4 against Rochdale) against all our rivals currently in the relegation zone. If we go down, THAT is the reason.

I thought that our record against the bottom 6 was awful too, and that we'd given our rivals lots of points, but our record isn't actually as bad as I thought: Our results against our relegation rivals

Orient won 1-0 (h) drew 1-1 (a) - Walsall pts 4 Orient 1
Wycombe won 2-0 (h) drew 1-1 (a) - Walsall 4 pts Wycombe 1
Chesterfield won 3-2 (h) drew 1-1 (a) - Walsall 4 pts Chesterfield 1
Exeter lost 1-2 (h) lost 2-4 (a) - Walsall 0 pts Exeter 6
Rochdale drew 0-0 (h) drew 3-3 (a) - Walsall 2 pts Rochdale 2

P10 W3 D5 L2 F15 A14 - Walsall 14 pts Opposition 11.

Whilst we have dropped plenty of points against our relegation rivals, with the exception of Exeter none of them have picked up many points from us.

Too many draws against all opposition though. If we go down, that is the reason.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 pm

What a day yesterday was. Started out at 6am to play in the supporters match at Topsham (which we won 4-1), then went to the match, before the car broke down on the way home resulting in not getting home until 11:15pm. So I haven't really had time to dwell on this until this morning.

I haven't seen the 'ghost goal' or the red card again so can't comment on them. However, what I will say is this:

Deano has said that everyone could see 11 vs 11 that we had the game won. Well I for one couldn't, at no point was I confident we'd see the game out. I wasn't reasonably sure we weren't going to lose, but equally convinced by our ability not to win. Our capitulation after the red card was shockingly bad, which when you consider how much practice we've had playing with 10 men this season makes it even worse.

Now for the substitutions: Bringing Lancashire on after the red card made perfect sense, however I think he should have taken Ledesma off. However, very little made sense after that. I can understand bringing off a striker and a right back and bringing on a striker and a right back, but the way he did it was random. Striker off, right back on, followed by another substitution five minutes later to effectively rectify what you've just done!? I've been, and remain, a supporter of Dean Smith, but he totally lost the plot today. Westlake was also truly shocking when he came on.

We've picked a lousy time of the season to lose form; this is the first time we've lost three on the bounce since October (oddly, two of those three defeats were against Tranmere and Exeter too) and there is now the possibility we could lose our last five games and still stay up. Its actually what I think will happen. But if we go down from the position we were in on Easter Sunday then we'll deserve too, and I'll be furious.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Just to even things up though watch their 4th goal shocking two footed challenge by Butler if their guy had not scored Butler would have been sent off. Idiot.

You are right. I hope that referee does not refer it the video panel for punishment, because if he did Butler's season would be over.

Amazingly BBC did not show the goal that was not given.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:23 pm

It was a wonderful sight in person, that Big Bank.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:28 pm

This was shown in passing at the start of the FL Show. At this point the ball is spinning slightly forwards towards the left-hand post. It hit the right hand post and bounced down behind the keeper, so you can't see the ball at that point, which is when it would have been furthest over the line. Then it bounces a second time - shown in this pic - before hitting the post.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Bernie, can you do me a screengrab of the cravat that Paul Tisdale was wearing in his post match interview?

Big fan of the cravat and this was a lovely example.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 pm

He looked like a right poncey southern twerp.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

bangsection wrote:Bernie, can you do me a screengrab of the cravat that Paul Tisdale was wearing in his post match interview?

He looked glorious.

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Alex Nicholls tweeting he is 'Team Wolves' is doing nothing to improve my anger at these boys for yesterday.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:14 pm

yoda wrote:Alex Nicholls tweeting he is 'Team Wolves' is doing nothing to improve my anger at these boys for yesterday.

I hope someone on twitter has a pop at the rodent.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm

bangsection wrote:Bernie, can you do me a screengrab of the cravat that Paul Tisdale was wearing in his post match interview?

His get up yesterday was tremendous! I fell asleep pre Football league Show but the I-player will have to be used now to see a cravat!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

He looked glorious.

A lot of men fear the cravat in the same way that they fear eating lightly sauteed kidneys or having sex with more than one woman at the same time.

Embracing esoteric neckwear is merely another step on the road to enlightenment for the modern man. Look at Joachim Love.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Bernie wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:Just to even things up though watch their 4th goal shocking two footed challenge by Butler if their guy had not scored Butler would have been sent off. Idiot.

You are right. I hope that referee does not refer it the video panel for punishment, because if he did Butler's season would be over.

He won't, unless he reads this site, in which case it will be your fault :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

yoda wrote:Alex Nicholls tweeting he is 'Team Wolves' is doing nothing to improve my anger at these boys for yesterday.

Stop following these retards then, you'll sleep the better for it.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 pm

priestley_saddler wrote: I've been, and remain, a supporter of Dean Smith, but he totally lost the plot today.

Blimey Priestly, that's either a brave or foolish thing to say!

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

He won't, unless he reads this site, in which case it will be your fault :roll:

:lol:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

He looked glorious.

It was a much bigger cravat than one ever thought :wink:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:This was shown in passing at the start of the FL Show. At this point the ball is spinning slightly forwards towards the left-hand post. It hit the right hand post and bounced down behind the keeper, so you can't see the ball at that point, which is when it would have been furthest over the line. Then it bounces a second time - shown in this pic - before hitting the post.

Thanks for the tip, I did not look at the start of the FL Show. I think that if you watch it again or look at the screenshots you will agree that it is clear that the ball went nowhere the right post, but hit the back of the net.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The link to the iPlayer of the show is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_04_2012/ and the clip in question is at about 1.29

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 pm

You only had to ask.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Bernie wrote:

You only had to ask.

He wears it outside his shirt? The philistine!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Bernie wrote:

You only had to ask.

*MAN CRUSH!*

(Thanks Bernie)

PT
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 am

Bernie wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:This was shown in passing at the start of the FL Show. At this point the ball is spinning slightly forwards towards the left-hand post. It hit the right hand post and bounced down behind the keeper, so you can't see the ball at that point, which is when it would have been furthest over the line. Then it bounces a second time - shown in this pic - before hitting the post.

Thanks for the tip, I did not look at the start of the FL Show. I think that if you watch it again or look at the screenshots you will agree that it is clear that the ball went nowhere the right post, but hit the back of the net.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The link to the iPlayer of the show is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_04_2012/ and the clip in question is at about 1.29

Unbelievable. It isn't one of those where a hundred mile an hour ball crashes off the bar and lands possibly half an inch over the line. In this instance the ball does a tour around the back of the next including a bounce or two. As I've said elsewhere, sums up the officiating of our games this season. I don't think we're important enough to be conspired against, it's just incompetence that has on balance, worked against us.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:16 am

What we need is a bit of media-driven hysteria. Twenty minute segment on Football Focus analysing the goal from every angle, Dean Smith muttering darkly about "refereeing conspiracies", a four page pull out supplement in every newspaper sports section and celebrity fans discussing it at length in the 'Twittersphere'. Two things working against us:

1. It's not even close so there's not much to discuss.

2. It's us so it doesn't matter.

The whole thing needs a bit more 'traction'. Given his post-match attire does anybody fancy homophobically abusing Paul Tisdale on Twitter? I'd do it myself but I've already nailed my colours to the mast re modish neckwear and, besides, I'm still banned from Twitter after my lengthy campaign of hate directed at DJ Spoony.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 am

bangsection wrote:What we need is a bit of media-driven hysteria. Twenty minute segment on Football Focus analysing the goal from every angle, Dean Smith muttering darkly about "refereeing conspiracies", a four page pull out supplement in every newspaper sports section and celebrity fans discussing it at length in the 'Twittersphere'. Two things working against us:

1. It's not even close so there's not much to discuss.

2. It's us so it doesn't matter.

The whole thing needs a bit more 'traction'. Given his post-match attire does anybody fancy homophobically abusing Paul Tisdale on Twitter? I'd do it myself but I've already nailed my colours to the mast re modish neckwear and, besides, I'm still banned from Twitter after my lengthy campaign of hate directed at DJ Spoony.

What you are missing though is that this is part of a wider conspiracy in football that needs to be exposed. I've learned from my source "Deep Coat" that League One referees are being bribed with the offer of lucrative Premier League refereeing contracts.

I understand that the conversation in the referees dressing room at Exeter before our match went something like this -

Shadowy figure from the FA - "Right, if you want to referee in the Premier League next season you need to prove yourself to me. Imagine that the home team today, who are they again? It doesn't matter, imagine that they are important, you know like Manchester United or Chelsea and make sure that you make one, or preferably two, blatantly wrong decisions in their favour during the match. You know a sending off or a goal. Who knows, if you show you've got the right stuff sunshine, you could be in the big time this time next year..."

Referee - "Gulp! Really? You think I could? I wont let you down sir"

popperpancake

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Bernie wrote:

You only had to ask.

If you look at the footage at the start of the game he's also sporting some magnificent red trousers.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Bernie wrote:

They did but it was just after the opening credits & what was coming up on the show.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I've just actually managed to find it on BBC i-Player, and it has to be amongst the most blatant disallowed goal errors that I have ever seen in the whole of my 55 years of watching football. I am truly gobsmacked that a referee and his two assistants could all miss that ball hitting the back of the net.

The E&S still said today that the ball hit both posts, but no way, it went straight in, hit the back of the net low down, and came back out onto the left-hand post. That is a truly terrible, disgraceful, appalling error by the officials that just can't be put right at this stage of the season except by a replay of the game - and we know that won't happen.

I would not previously have believed that such a clear cut goal could ever be missed, and to listen to the Exeter manager, after the match, having the gall to say they deserved the win, just adds insult to injury.

This puts a totally different slant on my thoughts about last Saturday's result, and if this costs us a place in League One, it will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace. :twisted: :twisted:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I've just actually managed to find it on BBC i-Player, and it has to be amongst the most blatant disallowed goal errors that I have ever seen in the whole of my 55 years of watching football. I am truly gobsmacked that a referee and his two assistants could all miss that ball hitting the back of the net.

The E&S still said today that the ball hit both posts, but no way, it went straight in, hit the back of the net low down, and came back out onto the left-hand post. That is a truly terrible, disgraceful, appalling error by the officials that just can't be put right at this stage of the season except by a replay of the game - and we know that won't happen.

I would not previously have believed that such a clear cut goal could ever be missed, and to listen to the Exeter manager, after the match, having the gall to say they deserved the win, just adds insult to injury.

This puts a totally different slant on my thoughts about last Saturday's result, and if this costs us a place in League One, it will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace. :twisted: :twisted:

Exactly my feelings. Of course in defence of the Express & Star Dean Smith himself said that the ball hit both posts (no surprise that he got it wrong), as did the commentators on Sad World and the BBC Football League Show, and as far I can tell so did every other journalist. I think that when something happens a bit fast the guys in the press box just get their heads together and come up with a story that they all agree to stick to - nobody wants to embarrass their friends by pointing out that the others have missed a story.

But how did they not see that the ball went nowhere near the right post? You can see from my screen-shots that it was nearly three yards inside it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I've just actually managed to find it on BBC i-Player, and it has to be amongst the most blatant disallowed goal errors that I have ever seen in the whole of my 55 years of watching football. I am truly gobsmacked that a referee and his two assistants could all miss that ball hitting the back of the net.

They did deserve to win.

Edit

And if we go down, we deserve to go down, not only because of Saturday, but the other 45 games too.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season