Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 14/4/12.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:10 pm

I have no comment on the game.

But the performance was as apalling as the home support.

3,600 fans and you could hear a pin drop, very dissapointing.

The previous home game against Stevenage was also the same, as was the second half at Rochdale.

Compare this to last year? Sheffield Wednesday at home, 7,500 and the noise was excellent.

Good performance or bad performance, the players deserve our noise for this last little segment of the season, not jeers for 1 mis-placed pass and boo's at the end.

Morale/confidence are a big thing for all sportsmen and it's a personal fact for me, if i'd have been booed off yesterday (Hurst and Nicholls aside) i'd be questioning the motivation of the fans.

3 games left, 9 points available. Obviously against Exeter there can't be much in the way of vocal support, but there's no excuse for no noise at home to Huddersfield/MK Dons away.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Agree with all that mate, right borefest all game, more people looked disinterested and sat down than usual as well, Tranmere's support was spot on I thought, 350 odd I heard and they were vocal throughout, put our shower to shame.

Really disappointing/annoying.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Bernie wrote:Looking at the highlights Beevers was very unlucky to be given a second yellow card for a supposed body-check. He simply held his ground and the Tranmere player ran into his leg. Was he supposed to get out of the way?

Spot-on Bernie. I didn't think he did much when I saw it live, and when I saw it replayed on TV It reminded me a bit of (I think) Danny Hay getting sent off at Derby some years ago for stopping that odious cheat Izale McLeod. What actually happened was McLeod ran AT Danny Hay, and unless Hay could have spontaneously sunk into the ground or vapourized himself, there was nowhere he could go and nothing he could do to get out of the way, so he did nothing and McLeod just ran into him - not even a foul, but he got sent-off I think. Similarly I thought Beevers did nothing wrong and the Tranmere guy just ran into him while trying to run through him. The Ref was totally conned and totally wrong IMHO, but that was no surprise given the amount of cynical stuff committed by Tranmere that he just let go when, in fact, at least two Tranmere players should have received two yellows and gone off.

This was my first match of the season, and I left the stadium feeling really angry that we'd been done by rough tactics, a weak Referee, and a terribly unlucky deflection (AGAIN) for the goal, from a free-kick that should never have arisen if the Ref had spotted what happened before the foul that Butler committed on their guy. Having said all that, our own shortcomings in front of goal also played a massive part in us failing to take at least one or two of many chances that came our way, so in some ways we had only ourselves to blame for losing a game that we should have won quite easily against a poor side.

Having seen Nicholls for the first time in ages, I have to share the views of some who slate him. Numerous times yesterday he had the chance to get crosses in, but almost every time, he buggered about for so long that he allowed a defender to close him down, such that few if any of his crosses managed to get past the outstretched boot of an opponent. I've seen him once this season and he drove me nuts, and on that evidence he appears not to have improved noticeably in several years, so God only knows how others amongst you can stand to watch him week in week out - get rid of him, Smith, he's a complete liability!

Grof looked a bit uncertain and hesitant at times, which worried me, but he made a fantastic save in the closing moments that would otherwise have seen Tranmere record a 2-0 victory, which would have been even more ridiculous and undeserved than the deeply fortuunate 1-0 win that they took away on the day.

Thank God that Oldham put away that last-minute penalty at Wycombe to maintain (for us) a 3 points plus massive goal-difference advantage over the Chairboys. That Oldham goal may well be, for us, the bit of fortune that keeps us up.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Sadders wrote:I have no comment on the game.

The previous home game against Stevenage was also the same, as was the second half at Rochdale.

Compare this to last year? Sheffield Wednesday at home, 7,500 and the noise was excellent.

Good performance or bad performance, the players deserve our noise for this last little segment of the season, not jeers for 1 mis-placed pass and boo's at the end.

Morale/confidence are a big thing for all sportsmen and it's a personal fact for me, if i'd have been booed off yesterday (Hurst and Nicholls aside) i'd be questioning the motivation of the fans.

3 games left, 9 points available. Obviously against Exeter there can't be much in the way of vocal support, but there's no excuse for no noise at home to Huddersfield/MK Dons away.

Agree entirely.........

I would also add that having travelled to quite a few away games, our vocal support is far better away from the Bezza than at home ......... god knows why - wonder whether there are a set of fans that only do the away trips who happen to be the heart of our match-day choir :?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm

brackley wrote:
Sadders wrote:I have no comment on the game.

Agree entirely.........

I would also add that having travelled to quite a few away games, our vocal support is far better away from the Bezza than at home ......... god knows why - wonder whether there are a set of fans that only do the away trips who happen to be the heart of our match-day choir :?

It's the case with most fan-bases, you rarely see good home support for a regular L1 game, been away about 6 times this season and not one has impressed/been much worse than ourselves.

It's all cack, really.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Modern, sanitised football. People sit there is silence, waiting to be entertained.

As much as Bonser et al reduces the enjoyment for me it will be the lack of atmosphere that would most likely do for me.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Doesn't help when the away lot are a million miles away from us either, can't beat some good banter with any away set.

In a few years time I'll probably scrap buying a ST and focus on saving up for away days if funds are rather low, more sensible from my POV, unless I win the lottery of course. 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Disappointing result. Feared the worst when I saw the dreaded words "Family Fun Day" - I thought, now there's a banana skin waiting to be slipped on...

Hopefully the lads can pick themselves up for what is now a must-win at Exeter.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:34 pm

That can't have been a fun day.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 am

I forgot to add;

HURST - TAKE HIM TO THE BYLINE!!!!! I am fed up of his bloody cut ins followed by lack of cross and 90% loss rate! Put him on the right or don't play him at all!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I forgot to add;

HURST - TAKE HIM TO THE BYLINE!!!!! I am fed up of his bloody cut ins followed by lack of cross and 90% loss rate! Put him on the right or don't play him at all!

A left winger who crosses corners with his right foot. Now where have I seen that before? :wink:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 am

priestley_saddler wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:I forgot to add;

A left winger who crosses corners with his right foot. Now where have I seen that before? :wink:

I am not paid for it :shock:

I just need a little more confidence in my left!

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season