Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Atheltic (A) League 1 Monday 9/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Charlton Atheltic (A) League 1 Monday 9/4/12.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 pm

MILO5 wrote:Charlton fans v.impressed with us on their sites.

Can't be bothered to register for intothevalley, and the other two I found are deader than last week's drug overdosers.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 pm

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Exile wrote:
MILO5 wrote:Charlton fans v.impressed with us on their sites.

Can't be bothered to register for intothevalley, and the other two I found are deader than last week's drug overdosers.

Was mainly on one called "Charlton life" or some such rubbish. To be fair , pretty balanced views and echoing what our fans are saying. Almost every poster praises us. Smith and Nicholls get regular mentions, can't help thinking that Nichols boots may have helped his cause getting noticed.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:22 am

Another great day out following Walsall, cheers Belg, your a superstar.

Few things of note, Charlton's support was quite frankly pathetic,considering they are on the verge of promotion. Empty seats everywhere, and every bit as quiet as Bescot on a regular Saturday. Our turn out on the other hand was impressive, far more than I expected, given it was Bank Holiday, at one of the most horrible grounds in the league to get to, and the fact it was 25 sheets to get in.

Charlton scored with a sloppy goal, which looked like it was down to Grof, but I'd still stick with him, he can become a really good keeper. Walsall huffed and puffed, but in all honesty never really looked like blowing the house down. Don't let that take anything away from the performance, no way did we go there and roll over and die, far from it. It was a typical top v bottom affair really, not much in it, we looked slightly better on the ball, but one key moment went in favour of the top side, and that was that.

It was a mistake starting with Macken, and it was a mistake Hurst was ever born.

Super Saddlers.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Chesterfield 2-0 up now. :D

Great news for us of course...but note the attendance....virtually relegated, but still 5K+ ...folk of Walsall hang your heads in shame.... :(

maybe aload of season ticket holders, there following to us was very very poor

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

It appears we were very unlucky not to take at least a point from the game , not to much damage done elsewhere , could have done without the Bury result .

Still very much in our our hands .

UTS

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 am

277 Walsall btw.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

leedssaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Sounds like we were the better side for the majority of the game.

A win next week has the potential to put us 7 clear with 3 games left. Given our goal difference, that would need Wycombe to win all three of their remaining games.

Agreed and don't forget Wycombe's 2 away games are at Charlton and the Wendys.

With our goal difference, reckon 50 points and 4 pts from 4 games will do it. Party in exeter?!

Don't write Exeter off just yet.They play Rochdale next week, then us! Now our recent record at their place isn't very good.IF they can manage 6 points from beating Rochdale & us they will be very much back in the mix to stay up! I've been to Exeter 3 times & never seen us win so hopefully there'll be a first time for that.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 am

Darth Vader wrote:277 Walsall btw.

That's more than i thought we would take to be honest.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 pm

The demise of Kevan Hurst is an interesting one. When he first showed up, he looked great - very composed, good delivery from wide, and whilst he's never had the pace to beat a man, he at least knew when to pass and move to get the beating of a fullback.

After a great start, he now looks like the weak link in our midfield - if not our entire starting eleven. But that is fairly typical of how things have changed this season - we started with Chambers and Taundry as our first choice pairing in midfield, yet neither can get into a much-improved side now. The same applies to Peterlin, who for a short period was our best midfielder - the best of a very bad bunch, admittedly.

Dean Smith has to be more careful with his playing budget this summer, regardless of which league we find ourselves in. Despite the apparent togetherness within the squad, a plethora of players on one year contracts and loans means we'll be building from a 5-a-side team upwards again in the summer.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The demise of Kevan Hurst is an interesting one. When he first showed up, he looked great - very composed, good delivery from wide, and whilst he's never had the pace to beat a man, he at least knew when to pass and move to get the beating of a fullback.

After a great start, he now looks like the weak link in our midfield - if not our entire starting eleven. But that is fairly typical of how things have changed this season - we started with Chambers and Taundry as our first choice pairing in midfield, yet neither can get into a much-improved side now. The same applies to Peterlin, who for a short period was our best midfielder - the best of a very bad bunch, admittedly.

I agree with all that, except that the period when Hurst looked useful was fairly short. He made a great pass to set up a goal for Mantom against Colchester, but overall he loses possession far too easily, his passing is erratic and he is a definite weak link. The fact that Chambers and Taundry were for months our first choice central midfield pairing is one of the main reasons for our terrible season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Bernie wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:The demise of Kevan Hurst is an interesting one. When he first showed up, he looked great - very composed, good delivery from wide, and whilst he's never had the pace to beat a man, he at least knew when to pass and move to get the beating of a fullback.

I agree with all that, except that the period when Hurst looked useful was fairly short. He made a great pass to set up a goal for Mantom against Colchester, but overall he loses possession far too easily, his passing is erratic and he is a definite weak link. The fact that Chambers and Taundry were for months our first choice central midfield pairing is one of the main reasons for our terrible season.

Absolutely. I guess my main concern is that our reliance upon loanees who come in and effectively save our season is completely unsustainable - it just increases the likelihood that we'll be in the same position this time next year.

leedssaddler

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
leedssaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Sounds like we were the better side for the majority of the game.

A win next week has the potential to put us 7 clear with 3 games left. Given our goal difference, that would need Wycombe to win all three of their remaining games.

Agreed and don't forget Wycombe's 2 away games are at Charlton and the Wendys.

With our goal difference, reckon 50 points and 4 pts from 4 games will do it. Party in exeter?!

Don't write Exeter off just yet.They play Rochdale next week, then us! Now our recent record at their place isn't very good.IF they can manage 6 points from beating Rochdale & us they will be very much back in the mix to stay up! I've been to Exeter 3 times & never seen us win so hopefully there'll be a first time for that.

Well, i'd prefer to get the 4 pts in the next two games and finish with a boring last fortnight. (Oh to be a Villa fan, when they have nothing to play for after the 3rd round of the Cup!!)

But even if we lose to Exeter then 50 pts would still be enough to finish above them - even if they won all their remaining games they can only get to 50 pts and their GD is worse (and their last game is against Sheff Utd).

I do remember listening to the FA Cup game this year and them scoring in the last 5 secs, so agree that they're a bit of a bogey side.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm

The extra 100 or so came to prove you wrong mate. :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

The extra 100 or so came to prove you wrong mate. :D

The last time I got to The Valley was on a Central coachways coach, and I was 14 at the time, that was pre demise and re vamp, so I'm presuming it's changed a lot! (being 50 years ago, I think I'm probably not wrong there! :lol: :lol: )

Once again, a great performance, we now appear to have a real footy team, but, as suggested above, it seems a pity that this is down to loan signings, who will all disappear at the end of the season.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 am

A good performance all round.

Got to say our defence would make any other side play-off contenders with the ability to knock'em in at the other end. Clearly this has been our un-doing all season......with Flo, Mantom and the boy Ledesma mixed in amongst Nicholls endeavour and Patersons pace we look well capable of winning most matches!

Got to agree once these fellas go back to their respective clubs, Smithy needs to hold on to the core nucleus of the squad that are good enough - in my view these are;

Grof
Walker (Under-study)

Smith
Saddler
Butler
Lancashire
Taundry (Right-back)
Hurst (just....!)
Paterson
Bowerman
Nicholls
Ledesma

By this little analogy the gaping hole is the miiddle of the park (plu a couple of decent strikers) as we all know and with the exit of Flo and Mantom we got some big shoes to fill in the summer!! ........ if we can keep them together and add some quality in midfiled then i fancy us to push for the play-offs next season!!

As im writing this I here the cries of being slightly presumptuous given that there is still plenty to play for this season to stay up - but got to say i back us to bag atleast 4 points from the remaining games!

UTS :D

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

Peterlin is injured.I was walking back from the ticket office last Saturday & he walked in front of me with a protective cast on his right foot.The club have kept that quiet.Every report says just recently that Deano has a fully fit squad to choose from.I don't think so.

Dean Smith has to be more careful with his playing budget this summer, regardless of which league we find ourselves in. Despite the apparent togetherness within the squad, a plethora of players on one year contracts and loans means we'll be building from a 5-a-side team upwards again in the summer.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Thought we played really well and were worthy of atleast a point. After a poor start we soon grew into the game and played some nice stuff. I though, particulary in the second half our midfield ran the show. Cuvelier showing his class and intelligence on the ball by pulling the strings.

I was dissapointed with Charlton for a team top of the league. Going forward they didn't offer a lot. Bradley Wright-Phillips had a 'mare, but fair play to him for applauding us when he was subbed. I like players who can take the banter! Charlton's midfield were poor and easily outplayed by ours. However, fortunately for them their defense was like a rock bar the left back who was a bit dodgey. He got skilled by Alex Nicholls on numerous occasions which is quite frankly embarressing or him! I thought that Cort was their pick of the buch, he was tremendous throughout!

The goal was unlucky from our part. N'Guessen with a header from a free kick which Grof should've dealt with. Couldn't quite tell from the away end, but it looked as is Grof hesitated before deciding to come which meant he was too late.

As for our team:
Grof - Played well, at fault for the goal but overall had a good game.

Sadler - Mr Consistant as always
Butler - Fantastic, typical performance from him
Smith - My MOTM. Won everything in the air and on the floor. Even went on a run down the right wing in the second half and showed off his skills!
Beevers - A bit dodgey at times but fairly solid

Nicholls - Did very well against their left back first half, a lot quieter in the second
Mantom - One of his poorer games, but still wasn't bad. Average
Cuvelier - Ran the show in the second half. Absolute class!
Hurst - Worst of the bunch, awful control, poor passing and rather slow

Ledesma - Looked threatening throughout but lacked an end product. Probably down to Charlton's fine defence.
Macken - I thought he played well. Yes, he's slow, but held the ball up well and brought others into play allowing the midfield to link up with the attack.

As for the subs, none really made much of an impact. Paterson probably the better of them.

Overall, an enjoyable day out. Unlucky not to get anything from the game but atleast the Wycombe and Orient results went our way.

Percie
Glitterati

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:Beevers - The 'Lee Beevers awful Club' really annoys me. Not only is it ridiculous to cream over him every time he does something right, but all it does is emphasise how rarely that actually happens. Heard his name chanted twice today.

Sorry.

We'll sing louder for you next week

:D

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

Percie wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:Beevers - The 'Lee Beevers awful Club' really annoys me. Not only is it ridiculous to cream over him every time he does something right, but all it does is emphasise how rarely that actually happens. Heard his name chanted twice today.

Sorry.

It sounds like the start of the Men Behaving Badly theme tune to me :?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Charlton Atheltic (A) League 1 Monday 9/4/12.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am

Percie wrote:

Sorry.

It sounds like the start of the Men Behaving Badly theme tune to me :?

So?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 am

So? How is that relevant to Beevers? I heard it was a tune off Soccer AM.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Sexual!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

The lad in shit-stained chino's to the left. Image

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:So? How is that relevant to Beevers? I heard it was a tune off Soccer AM.

Is it supposed to be to the 'Tramp chant' off soccer am?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsBMJE6AR0

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Decent following for our standards nowadays.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:23 am

The Lee Beevers song as initiated by our group of people is along to the tune of BARBARA STREISLAND.

An official single will be released soon.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:The Lee Beevers song as initiated by our group of people is along to the tune of BARBARA STREISLAND.

Just admit you sing Lee Beevers songs in somekind of sarcastic joke. Otherwise you'll be seen as cluless.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 pm

It's the only song chanted in the ground nowadays.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:26 am

tinned wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:The Lee Beevers song as initiated by our group of people is along to the tune of BARBARA STREISLAND.

Just admit you sing Lee Beevers songs in somekind of sarcastic joke. Otherwise you'll be seen as cluless.

Of course it bloody is! It's mostly aimed at winding up some fellow supporters! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season