Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League 1 Saturday 7/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (H) League 1 Saturday 7/4/12.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Just felt the need to say Manny Smith was immense again today....What a block in the first half :D

SWS1

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm

RESULT! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
6 goals in 2 games!!! :D
But two points dropped!!! :(
But out of bottom 4!!! :D

HAPPY EASTER ! :D

So far! 8)

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Just felt the need to say Manny Smith was immense again today....What a block in the first half :D

He was my man of the match. Ledesma was great but if weren't for Manny and Butler, we'd have conceded far more in first half.

And he also told that pillock of a ref that the ten yard rule isn't optional! Tool! :evil:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:00 pm

deanonev69 wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Just felt the need to say Manny Smith was immense again today....What a block in the first half :D

He was my man of the match. Ledesma was great but if weren't for Manny and Butler, we'd have conceded far more in first half.

And he also told that pillock of a ref that the ten yard rule isn't optional! Tool! :evil:

Never seen a ref refuse to send the wall back before, so comical.....Perhaps he thought we had already played the ball :?

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
deanonev69 wrote:

Never seen a ref refuse to send the wall back before, so comical.....Perhaps he thought we had already played the ball :?

That wall incident was bizarre to say the least. The most important thing today was the result. Manny Smith was superb at the back and may have just shaded it for MOM for me. Chesterfield are bottom for a reason but I have seen worse teams at the Banks's this season.

The ref seemed to lose the plot totally towards the end.

The thing that is equally as important as the points cushion now is the fact we have two teams between us and the dop zone

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Two reasons for optimism:
1. Charlton have failed to win home games against Scunthorpe, Tranmere, Oldham, Bury, Rochdale and Colchester this season - so it's not an impossible task.
2. If we win two more games (say Tranmere and Exeter) and Wycombe lose two more (say, Sheff Wed and Charlton away) then we're safe, no questions asked.

You would think that 52 points with the best goal difference of all the teams down there is going to be enough. So two more wins should see us over the line. I wouldn't be foolish enough to predict which games we get those points from, as it rarely works out that way, but I am pretty confident we will get there now. Then again, we are Walsall so.....

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 pm

The only thing I can imagine happened at the "wall-gate" was that one of the players asked the ref if he could take a quick free-kick, and he said yes, hence he blew the whistle.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:43 pm

A supreme performance!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The only thing I can imagine happened at the "wall-gate" was that one of the players asked the ref if he could take a quick free-kick, and he said yes, hence he blew the whistle.

Even so, they would still have to be 10 yards back. If he had smacked the ball at the wall someone would surely have had to be booked, just like it happens in the middle of the park when a player trys to take a quick free kick.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Massive Massive win great stuff

UTS :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Massive win against a side absolutely desperate to win. You could tell at the final whistle that they realised it's now curtains for them and we had to really grind things out as they threw everything at us - not the sort of match we usually find ourselves playing in.

Ledesma will steal all the plaudits again, but my man of the match was actually Mantom - I thought he looked really classy in the middle of the park, winning tackles, spreading the ball around, and capped things off with the winning goal. It's no wonder Ledesma is able to hurt teams with the likes of Mantom and Cuvelier around him.

We weren't the best at the back today, but with them playing two strikers up against Butler and Smith, our problems came as we didn't follow runners from wide positions. All too often, they got two on one against either Sadler or Beevers and got a cross in as a result. Nicholls and Hurst need to be a bit more switched on defensively, although I would credit Chesterfield with playing well in those areas - most of the chances they created were well-worked.

After the Colchester game I thought Smith had finally proven himself as a tactically astute manager, but today he showed he's still far from getting there. Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful. But hey, what do I know - we won the game after all.

In terms of players who caught the eye, I thought Nicholls looked threatening until he moved up front, Mantom looked a class act, Cuvelier's worked tirelessly and provided one, possibly two assists and Smith's last-ditch defending saved at least one certain goal.

We probably won't play anyone quite as desperate for the points as they were today, which is probably a good thing. If everyone stays fit, I'm confident that we'll scrape ourselves to safety.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Once Macken went off we were finished as an attacking force. A poor decision by Deano, it meant that instead of sewing up the win (which was there for the taking) we had to suffer the best part of half an hour hanging on. We got away with the win today, but how many times have we thrown away wins by trying to hang on rather than make sure. 3 absolutely vital points, but we made it so much harder for ourselves than it needed to be.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Surely it would be the worst part of half an hour? :D

Well done the lads.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Exile wrote:Surely it would be the worst part of half an hour? :D

You're probably right - it was certainly nerve-wracking!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm

longdogs wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Once Macken went off we were finished as an attacking force. A poor decision by Deano, it meant that instead of sewing up the win (which was there for the taking) we had to suffer the best part of half an hour hanging on. We got away with the win today, but how many times have we thrown away wins by trying to hang on rather than make sure. 3 absolutely vital points, but we made it so much harder for ourselves than it needed to be.

Yes, exactly. All the best teams defend from the front - whether that be by chasing lost causes, putting pressure on the ball, or just passing the opposition to death in the final third. I accept that passing teams to death isn't what we're likely to do, but not having anyone up front just turns the game into an attack v defence training match. Better opposition would have scored at least one during that spell.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:After the Colchester game I thought Smith had finally proven himself as a tactically astute manager, but today he showed he's still far from getting there. Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful. But hey, what do I know - we won the game after all.

From Dean Smith's point of view the decision made sense.

Most Walsall fans have known for about five years that Nicholls is not a striker, but Dean Smith has not yet realised this, and usually this season Smith has played Nicholls as a striker, so there was nothing surprising in him moving from the wing when Macken had run out of steam.

Incidentally talk about not learning from mistakes, with Walsall under pressure in injury time Smith was all set to bring on Bowerman as a totally unnecessary sub. If he had the referee would have had to add 30 seconds and would not have been able to blow the final whistle with Chesterfield still in possession of the ball in our penalty area.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:28 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Massive win against a side absolutely desperate to win. You could tell at the final whistle that they realised it's now curtains for them and we had to really grind things out as they threw everything at us - not the sort of match we usually find ourselves playing in.

Ledesma will steal all the plaudits again, but my man of the match was actually Mantom - I thought he looked really classy in the middle of the park, winning tackles, spreading the ball around, and capped things off with the winning goal. It's no wonder Ledesma is able to hurt teams with the likes of Mantom and Cuvelier around him.

We weren't the best at the back today, but with them playing two strikers up against Butler and Smith, our problems came as we didn't follow runners from wide positions. All too often, they got two on one against either Sadler or Beevers and got a cross in as a result. Nicholls and Hurst need to be a bit more switched on defensively, although I would credit Chesterfield with playing well in those areas - most of the chances they created were well-worked.

After the Colchester game I thought Smith had finally proven himself as a tactically astute manager, but today he showed he's still far from getting there. Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful. But hey, what do I know - we won the game after all.

In terms of players who caught the eye, I thought Nicholls looked threatening until he moved up front, Mantom looked a class act, Cuvelier's worked tirelessly and provided one, possibly two assists and Smith's last-ditch defending saved at least one certain goal.

We probably won't play anyone quite as desperate for the points as they were today, which is probably a good thing. If everyone stays fit, I'm confident that we'll scrape ourselves to safety.

Absolutely spot on! Mantom would have been my MOTM and I was equally puzzled by the "tactics" that surrounded the Macken substitution.

Overall a feeling of relief. It's a free pop on Monday then we probably need five points from the last five games to be absolutely sure.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:52 am

I agree with much of the above.

It is like watching a different side of late. I'm not sure though that this attack minded, passing game suits everyone. I thought Maken struggled a bit with much of the action passing him by.

The main worry has to be the combination of Butler, Smith and Beevers, particularly at home. Yesterday was like a replay of the fist Half hour v Colchester. Play the ball behind them for someone to run onto and we struggle like hell. I agree with the comments about the last ditch tackling, and would also mention Grof's contribution in the first half, but would contend that if we had a bit more pace at the back we might not find ourselves in th situation as often. It is less of a problem away due to our tactics of getting plenty behind the ball and attacking on the counter. The spirit and resilience of the defence is fantastic, it's just that they turn like oil tankers.

I also thought that at 3-2 we show boated a bit too much and I would have been really pissed had they scored.

Agree with the comments about the substitution, Bowerman should have replaced Maken.

With my positive head back on, it was a really entertaining game, some lovely football and 3 important points. A team transformed :D More of the same next Saturday.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 am

Bernie wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:After the Colchester game I thought Smith had finally proven himself as a tactically astute manager, but today he showed he's still far from getting there. Why on Earth would you take your one striker off and replace him with a winger? We essentially surrendered at 3-2 up and had to endure 20 minutes of constant pressure as a result of playing what looked like a 4-6-0 formation. Anyone with a bit of common sense would have replaced Macken with Bowerman and looked to keep the pressure on their number 5, who was pretty awful. But hey, what do I know - we won the game after all.

Most Walsall fans have known for about five years that Nicholls is not a striker, but Dean Smith has not yet realised this, and usually this season Smith has played Nicholls as a striker, so there was nothing surprising in him moving from the wing when Macken had run out of steam.

Incidentally talk about not learning from mistakes, with Walsall under pressure in injury time Smith was all set to bring on Bowerman as a totally unnecessary sub. If he had the referee would have had to add 30 seconds and would not have been able to blow the final whistle with Chesterfield still in possession of the ball in our penalty area.

How come there were 3 goals in the first Half, yet only 1 minute added?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Get out of that one rommel !

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 am

If/When Flo or Sam are recalled at the end of the season we should look at that Randall for Chesterfield... I believe he is on loan from Arsenal but a VERY VERY good player.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Presumably because we weren't playing a team from Sheffield??

I also noticed Bowerman was about to come on and was thinking NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thankfully the whistle went before we could make the change.

In a warped sort of a way the Macken change made sense, as Nicholls has the pace to run the channels better than anyone else. Personally I'd have brought Bowerman on instead, although more because I think Paterson has probably run his race for this season, but I can see why Smith did it. It would have paid dividends too if Nicholls could have finished having rounded the keeper, but he was under a lot of pressure from their big defender.

Our winning goal symbolised everything good about this team. Hurst threading a through ball through to Mantom to run on to from the midfield to finish first time. We could not have scored that goal three months ago.

The concern was the defence, and the problem was this. Hurst looks quite a decent player when he comes in from the left flank and has the ball in the middle of the park and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. However, that saw Sadler too far up on the left wing, which pulled Butler over almost to the left back area, which left Smith and Beevers exposed. When they broke, you could have probably fit a small planet in the gap between our two centre halves and we were lucky to only be one down. Even though we were winning at half time, I still felt we were lucky not to be behind. Thankfully, we have Ledesma (for now) to get us out of these problems.

All in all a priceless three points.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

chestersaddler wrote:How come there were 3 goals in the first Half, yet only 1 minute added?

You would have to ask the referee about that, looks like he made a mistake, or perhaps he blew the whistle after 46 minutes 30 seconds, in which case the one minute minimum board would have been correct.

Referees are a lot more careful about time added on at the end of matches, in particular when one side is looking to waste time. They should always add on 30 seconds for a substitution in stoppage time made by a team with a one goal lead.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Bernie wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:How come there were 3 goals in the first Half, yet only 1 minute added?

You would have to ask the referee about that, looks like he made a mistake, or perhaps he blew the whistle after 46 minutes 30 seconds, in which case the one minute minimum board would have been correct.

Referees are a lot more careful about time added on at the end of matches, in particular when one side is looking to waste time. They should always add on 30 seconds for a substitution in stoppage time made by a team with a one goal lead.

Did you make that rule up, or is it real ? Sounds a bit dodgey to me. What's the difference between a sub in injury time, to say with 5 minutes left ? Or whatever.

Surely this guess work is wrong anyway, surely they can just have a stop watch, and start it everytime it is needed.

Anyway, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet with Smith about this, but if they are adding 30 seconds for a substitution, then just take more than 30 seconds to bring a player on, it isn't that difficult. Or maybe we should not score goals in injury time either, incase he adds 30 seconds on? (that is sarcasm by the way)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Cheesebag wrote:If/When Flo or Sam are recalled at the end of the season we should look at that Randall for Chesterfield... I believe he is on loan from Arsenal but a VERY VERY good player.

I'm fairly sure Arsenal released him before he joined Chesterfield. Was always highly rated, but had his share of injuries. Agree though - he's certainly got something and took his goal yesterday very well indeed.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:If/When Flo or Sam are recalled at the end of the season we should look at that Randall for Chesterfield... I believe he is on loan from Arsenal but a VERY VERY good player.

I'm fairly sure Arsenal released him before he joined Chesterfield. Was always highly rated, but had his share of injuries. Agree though - he's certainly got something and took his goal yesterday very well indeed.

Is this the same Mark Randall MMF was laughing at more for suggesting in pre-season? :lol: :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Is this the same Mark Randall MMF was laughing at more for suggesting in pre-season? :lol: :mrgreen:

Presumably you would like to swap places with Chesterfield then, as the worst team in the division ?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm

An immense 3 points indeed! But it was a bit like the Spotland match all over again, at 3-2 up it had 3-3 written all over it as we sat back and allowed 'em to come at us for last nerve janging 20 minutes or so. Still, well worth the journey!
I have to say that the attendance for a Bank Holiday Saturday was trully appalling. Far too many 'Dingle' stickers in the backs of cars for my liking, as I toured my old Walsall haunts showing the wife the errors of a mispent youth! However..
Once again, with acres of empty seats everywhere, was I once again asked to move on by a guy cus I was sitting in HIS designated seat........I left him to sit alone in HIS seat in the middle of an empty row! Is he perhaps a steward in his spare time?
A final mention on Messi, how come WE suddenly have a 'match winner' playing for us at last? Scunny got the 'brick wall'
and look at how improved they have become.....Very prudent aqusition by someone at the club, and whoever it was needs commending for taking the chance. I've said all along that EVERY club should have a Cureton or a Parkin, someone capable of turning a match round with a flash of brilliance. Even if we get mullered on Monday, I now think we WILL escape the drop.
UTS :D :D :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Presumably you would like to swap places with Chesterfield then, as the worst team in the division ?

:idea:

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Surely this guess work is wrong anyway, surely they can just have a stop watch, and start it everytime it is needed.

Couldn't agree more Blazing.

Time elapsed is measured purely at the whim of the ref. There's no science to it.

I've even asked "seasoned refs" how elapsed time is measured. And they can't give a consistent and satisfactory answer.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season