Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League 1 Saturday 7/4/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (H) League 1 Saturday 7/4/12.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:25 pm

kevin wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Surely this guess work is wrong anyway, surely they can just have a stop watch, and start it everytime it is needed.

Couldn't agree more Blazing.

Time elapsed is measured purely at the whim of the ref. There's no science to it.

I've even asked "seasoned refs" how elapsed time is measured. And they can't give a consistent and satisfactory answer.

I can't believe it doesn't get questioned more often. There are serious discrepancies with the injury time laws in my opinion. For one example, there is almost always more injury time at the end of the second half, than the first. There are obviously instances where this isn't the case, but It happens alot. You usually get 2-3 mins max first half, unless someone has had a serious injury, yet at the end of a game there is 4-6 mins in most cases. Surely the halfs are the same length, so it should average out somewhere the same, but I am sure it doesn't. I am guessing that substitutions is one reason that would be given, but i'm not sure that is enough to justify this alone.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:An immense 3 points indeed! But it was a bit like the Spotland match all over again, at 3-2 up it had 3-3 written all over it as we sat back and allowed 'em to come at us for last nerve janging 20 minutes or so. Still, well worth the journey!
I have to say that the attendance for a Bank Holiday Saturday was trully appalling. Far too many 'Dingle' stickers in the backs of cars for my liking, as I toured my old Walsall haunts showing the wife the errors of a mispent youth! However..
Once again, with acres of empty seats everywhere, was I once again asked to move on by a guy cus I was sitting in HIS designated seat........I left him to sit alone in HIS seat in the middle of an empty row! Is he perhaps a steward in his spare time?
A final mention on Messi, how come WE suddenly have a 'match winner' playing for us at last? Scunny got the 'brick wall'
and look at how improved they have become.....Very prudent aqusition by someone at the club, and whoever it was needs commending for taking the chance. I've said all along that EVERY club should have a Cureton or a Parkin, someone capable of turning a match round with a flash of brilliance. Even if we get mullered on Monday, I now think we WILL escape the drop.
UTS :D :D :D

With respect to seats. Why don't you ask for seats where you want to sit and then just sit on the one with your number on it? :idea:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:30 pm

What a complete waste of time that is, the grounds empty all over, if someone sat in my seat I'd move elsewhere, it really shouldn't be a problem.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Darth Vader wrote:What a complete waste of time that is, the grounds empty all over, if someone sat in my seat I'd move elsewhere, it really shouldn't be a problem.

You would allow someone to sit in your seat without question? I wouldn't.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Darth Vader wrote:What a complete waste of time that is, the grounds empty all over, if someone sat in my seat I'd move elsewhere, it really shouldn't be a problem.

The ground is empty in certain places but in blocks 3 and 4 it is not. If I buy tickets, specifically asking for those sections and then find I can't sit there because someone else is there then I'm not happy.

If it was all unreserved, like at most away games, then no problem.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm in block 4 and I can safely safe parts up the back people stand wherever they like, I know I have been.

It's still not very full in either blocks though, tons of empty seats all around so you could easily grab a seat close to the one you purchased, or a better one if found.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Darth Vader wrote:I'm in block 4 and I can safely safe parts up the back people stand wherever they like, I know I have been.

It's still not very full in either blocks though, tons of empty seats all around so you could easily grab a seat close to the one you purchased, or a better one if found.

I have a season ticket in block 4 which I personally chose. Everyone around me has the same seats every game and I doubt anyone of them would accept someone else having their seat. They would be asked to move.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Darth Vader wrote:I'm in block 4 and I can safely safe parts up the back people stand wherever they like, I know I have been.

I purchased 3 tickets yesterday for block 4. I would have struggled to find 3 together without risking sitting in someone else's seats and then having to move so we sat in the seats we were allocated. I reckon that you are probably in a minority of people that don't object.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:51 pm

ws3 wrote:

I have a season ticket in block 4 which I personally chose. Everyone around me has the same seats every game and I doubt anyone of them would accept someone else having their seat. They would be asked to move.

If you're right at the back then I can see where you're coming from, I'm a few rows from the back and I always get people infront of my standing all over the shop.

Everyone is roughly in the same are though yes.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I purchased 3 tickets yesterday for block 4. I would have struggled to find 3 together without risking sitting in someone else's seats and then having to move so we sat in the seats we were allocated. I reckon that you are probably in a minority of people that don't object.

I can understand if you purchased 3 seats (I hear you go with your son and wife/girlfriend too?), then that's fair enough.

I'm only in the minority because my old seat was dire and I hated the location, obviously changed my ST seat for next season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I can understand if you purchased 3 seats (I hear you go with your son and wife/girlfriend too?), then that's fair enough, but if you came alone for a regular 4,000 gate home game and then moaned about someone in your seat where there's a few near by that's what would make me think, "what a petty fool".

I'm only in the minority because my old seat was dire and I hated the location, obviously changed my ST seat for next season.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I pick my seats in block 4 because it's a great view and my mates are there.

During the winter, a few youthful oiks tried to sit in mine and my brothers' seats. A few friendly words and they left. Nice.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Did you make that rule up, or is it real ? Sounds a bit dodgey to me.

There are various places you can find it on the internet, here is one example from an article by Graham Poll after a row about the referee playing five and a half minutes of added time after the board had only said 4 minutes.

Referees tend to follow guidelines, which are that for every goal or substitution you should allow 30 seconds and then add a minute or two for injuries and/or time-wasting, if they have occurred.

When there is a lengthy delay for a serious injury, it is often timed and added to the calculated time.

There were three goals and three substitutions in the second half at Old Trafford, which means that a minimum of three minutes had to be added, plus a minute due to other causes, hence the four minutes which were indicated. Then, in stoppage time, there was another goal and a substitution, meaning that at least one more minute had to be added, with a fan running on to the pitch taking up further seconds.

So, well done Martin Atkinson for attention to detail and to Manchester United for playing right to the final whistle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... fford.html

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Bernie wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Did you make that rule up, or is it real ? Sounds a bit dodgey to me.

There are various places you can find it on the internet, here is one example from an article by Graham Poll after a row about the referee playing five and a half minutes of added time after the board had only said 4 minutes.

Referees tend to follow guidelines, which are that for every goal or substitution you should allow 30 seconds and then add a minute or two for injuries and/or time-wasting, if they have occurred.

When there is a lengthy delay for a serious injury, it is often timed and added to the calculated time.

There were three goals and three substitutions in the second half at Old Trafford, which means that a minimum of three minutes had to be added, plus a minute due to other causes, hence the four minutes which were indicated. Then, in stoppage time, there was another goal and a substitution, meaning that at least one more minute had to be added, with a fan running on to the pitch taking up further seconds.

So, well done Martin Atkinson for attention to detail and to Manchester United for playing right to the final whistle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... fford.html

Well I find that quite disgusting to be honest. They are basically guessing. " Oh there were a few injuries, I'll add say two minutes" "Oh, 4 if it's Man United"

The bit about Manchester United is a joke, but sorry it isn't attention to detail, it's random guess work.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Graham Poll wrote:

What sort of answer is that..........."often timed".

Don't want to put you out Graham..........but shouldn't that be "always" timed.

Simon of Sedgley

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:47 am

My apologies if this has been covered

What happened with the free kick (as in the wall being about 4 yards away)?

Why did the ref walk away?

I know we won the game and I should move on but I was uncharacterically incensed by it and want some closure!!!!! Can someone clear it up??

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 am

Simon of Sedgley wrote:My apologies if this has been covered

I know we won the game and I should move on but I was uncharacterically incensed by it and want some closure!!!!! Can someone clear it up??

I honestly have no idea.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Simon of Sedgley wrote:My apologies if this has been covered

I honestly have no idea.

Occam's razor says the simplest solution is invariably the best, so just put it down to a rubbish referee and forget about it.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 am

Darth Vader wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I can understand if you purchased 3 seats (I hear you go with your son and wife/girlfriend too?), then that's fair enough.

The problem with his seat was that it faced the pitch.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

Horozontal Harry wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

The problem with his seat was that it faced the pitch.

Welcome to the cheap seats...

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 am

If the ground is nearly empty then why should anyone want to sit in my seat?

Why not either:
a) Sit in the seat you have been sold
b) Move to an unoccupied seat when everyone has taken their places.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:02 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you POTD you don't get an allocated seat do you? Actually scrap that you do, I was apparently going to be sitting in block 6 for a cup game, which is dire and sparse as spare can be.

I'm just saying, if one person attends alone and someone's in their seat, it should be that much of a fuss if others are near by, 3+ then yes I can understand but one lone bloke, no.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am

Darth Vader wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if you POTD you don't get an allocated seat do you? Actually scrap that you do, I was apparently going to be sitting in block 6 for a cup game, which is dire and sparse as spare can be.

I'm just saying, if one person attends alone and someone's in their seat, it should be that much of a fuss if others are near by, 3+ then yes I can understand but one lone bloke, no.

Correct Darth, my moan was that this row (obviouly unpopular) was totally unoccupied 15 minutes before the game started, I just sat there to read the programme when this one bloke arrived and said I was sitting in his seat....fair enough I moved on but this row was utterly empty, apart from this one seat, seems a bit petty to me, but hey it is ALWAYS sooo full!!!
If we were playing Manure in the quarter finals of the FA cup...(dream on sad old boy that I am) allocated seats would be VERY important!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Exactly mate.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 pm

If you sit in a season ticket holder's seat, you're in the wrong regardless of how many other spare seats there are in the vicinity. They have every right to tell you to hop it. Simples.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm

I would tell someone to move out of my season ticket seat ..... if I knew which seat was mine. I think I may have sat in it once this season. You can have your pwn row in our block :wink:

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season