Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 20/3/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 20/3/12

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Saying that, the way we are playing, we should cruise past 50 points. That would be far to easy for Walsall F.C though.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:39 pm

fudge me backwards

euro gaz

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

We are gay, we are gay, we are gay

Glitterati

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Gutted.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Gutted but still, lets face it, a cracking point. Glad Paterson got on the scoresheet.

Big big next two games for us.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 pm

If we go down last kick of the game goals against Bournemouth, Chesterfield and tonight are going to look very costly. Last kick of the game. Absolutely gutted, sounds like we played really well. Lets hope we can take that into saturday. Sometimes you dont get what you deserve in football.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Why o why do we waste time with substitutions that only add to the injury time and disrupte the way we play.
How many times does this have to happen before Smith learns the lesson?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Lets not get down hearted , a great result although obviously disappointed we didn't hang on , big game on Saturday .

UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I fudge hate Yorkshire.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Duke wrote:Lets not get down hearted , a great result although obviously disappointed we didn't hang on , big game on Saturday .

UTS

Exactly, if we had scored the last minute equaliser, we would feel like we had won. It's a great result. Make it count Saturday now. Next 3 games are huge. 7 Points should be possible.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Reason to be cheerful #1

We have lost only once to any of the top 4 so far this season.

Reason to be cheerful #2

That was still a fantastic result tonight.

UTS.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Why the **** cant we stop shooting ourselves in the foot and make things easy for ourselves :evil:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Lets not get down hearted , a great result although obviously disappointed we didn't hang on , big game on Saturday .

UTS

Exactly, if we had scored the last minute equaliser, we would feel like we had won. It's a great result. Make it count Saturday now. Next 3 games are huge. 7 Points should be possible.

Agreed , that game in hand is looking vital now

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:05 pm

These next four games will go a long way to deciding what league we will be playing in next season.

I think we need 8/9 points minimum.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

fudge it, we'll stay up.

Yorkshire can fall down a mine shaft for all I care.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Another game where we'd all have taken a point before kick off, yet find ourselves feeling like we've been kicked in the nads after doing just that. It's a funny old game.

Anyway, let's hope Smith hits home the message that the players are playing some top stuff at the moment. If we can stay confident and keep this run going, we'll stay up - no doubt. If the players allow that draw to feel like a defeat, we might see another wobble.

The best thing about tonight's performance (and that of recent weeks) is that I'd actually fancy us to go to Rochdale and Exeter and pick up points. Two months ago, I'd earmarked those as the games that would seal our relegation.

UTS

bangsection
Site Addict

Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 20/3/12

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 pm

A performance to gladden the heart.

A result to sicken the stomach.

Some great performances tonight. Just heard an utterly graceless interview from Dave Jones on the car radio though so feeling a bit ill. More later.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

fudge off Wednesday.

Gutted.

saddler79
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

A sickening sickening result but there are only positives to be taken out of tonight. Each and every fan on here would have grabbed your hand off for a point and its nice to see we scored a couple of goals. I dont think a return of 7 from 12 points from the Sheffield sides is too shabby. Onwards and upwards, with performances like that we are not dead yet. Bring on Stevenage!! UTS!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm

I wonder if Sheffield Saddler actually went to a Walsall game tonight... in Sheffield.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:I wonder if Sheffield Saddler actually went to a Walsall game tonight... in Sheffield.

He's on Facebook mentioning our compartively good goal difference is a bonus to us. Must be down to our manager he loves so much :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:These next four games will go a long way to deciding what league we will be playing in next season.

I'm thinking four wins from the next six games is what I'd like to see. That'll leave us Exeter (a) and two games against sides that may be already sure of a play-off place to pick up any points we need over 50. Impossible to predict really as so many of the bottom sides are playing each other - perhaps Orient are the side to watch with some tricky games coming up.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:These next four games will go a long way to deciding what league we will be playing in next season.

I'm thinking four wins from the next six games is what I'd like to see. That'll leave us Exeter (a) and two games against sides that may be already sure of a play-off place to pick up any points we need over 50. Impossible to predict really as so many of the bottom sides are playing each other - perhaps Orient are the side to watch with some tricky games coming up.

Sounds easy doesn't it. I think it's worth remembering we/and the other sides, are at the bottom for a reason. Even though us, and a few other sides have been on a decent run of late, there is still alot of room for slip ups from everyone. The final points total needed to stay up, is almost always less than you would imagine looking at it right now.

Anyway, I think we'll do it, but it's gonna be bloody close.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 am

A point that I'd have taken before kick off. Got pretty battered first half but played batter in a more open second half. Both goals were crackers. Buzzing one minute gutted the next. That's football cxx

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 am

Really enjoyed tonight until the last of the 96 minutes. Alright, so we looked like we might have been in for a hiding when Antonio hit the bar twice in the first half (that bloke in the Co-op was spot on - he was by far their biggest threat) but rather than coming out in the second half and just accepting the inevitable we took the game to Wednesday and looked really dangerous. Stunning run and cross from Cuvelier and a great finish from Macken for the first, but so frustrating to concede almost immediately. Nevertheless, we didn't let our heads drop and Paterson (who tormented poor old Julian Bennett for most of the second half) scored an absolute screamer to put us back in the lead.

Grof kept us in it with some fantastic saves and it looked for all the world like we'd hold on for the three points. Why Smith persists in making substitutions in injury time I don't know - now that refs automatically add 30 seconds it just prolongs the game and disrupts the team - even Paterson looked mystified by the decision when Westlake came on for him.

Cuvelier was my man of the match - a tremendous mix of industry and creativity tonight. Mantom and Hurst were quiet and Beevers was the weak link in the back four but it was an excellent team performance all in all. Nicholls up front instead of Ledesma was the right decision in my opinion, he ran himself into the ground and we were too far away to see whether any of the chances he had in the first half were genuine opportunities. Nice to stand next to @Taundz for most of the game - it would appear that he really is one of our own. The heat from his spray on tan kept a few of us warm too. He even joined in with a couple of songs in the second half and, in all seriousness, he looked genuinely distraught when they equalised at the death.

Footnote re. Hillsborough. It's been a while since I've been but I thought the facilities were a disgrace. Terrible view of the pitch from the bottom of the stand and refreshments comprised one kiosk with only one person allowed to sell alcohol. The people in the large queue were rewarded with a giant extractor fan belching out stale chip fat over a wide radius. It was disgusting.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

Gutted in the end but still a good point. Played really well, especially second half. Looked lively, quick and dangerous going forward. Lord knows what Grof was doing trying to punch every cross in the first hal but he made some fantastic saves second half. Nicholls was immense, more so when he didn't have the ball than when he did! Ran himself into the ground as did the rest to be fair, you could see how gutted they all were at the end, all out on their feet or lying flat on their backs. Literally last kick of the game but the performance should give plenty of confidence. 2 awesome goals, first from a great move and the second just class from Patterson. As soon as he got the ball there was only one thing on his mind as he cut in and banged it in.

Special mention for Taunds, in the away end and even started a going down the Wednesbury Road song :D

Another special mention to their very own version of Dancing Kev, what a complete and utter tool! Seems to be a common theme among Wendy fans! :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 am

bangsection wrote:Really enjoyed tonight until the last of the 96 minutes. Alright, so we looked like we might have been in for a hiding when Antonio hit the bar twice in the first half (that bloke in the Co-op was spot on - he was by far their biggest threat) .

How good was he :shock: :shock: Every time he got the ball he went past our players as if they weren't there and some of those shots in the first half were amazing!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 am

A point I'd have taken before and will be happy with now. Well done the lads on showing yet another 'big' team we're not that little. All we have to do is carry that level of performance on against the other relegation candidates and league also-rans and we'll be safe.

I believe! :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 am

Thought we were going to be buried in the first 20 minutes or so, but we hung on and then produced a tremendous performance in the second half. Must agree about the substitutions in injury time though...what was the point & the ref was going to add time on. I presume Smith thought that it would disrupt Sheff Wed push for an equaliser. Considering neither physio came on the pitch, I dont know where all that time came from.
Two excellent goals. Paterson's was sublime. I know Grof made some good saves in 2nd half but that was the first time I've seen him & been a bit worried. He seemed to have real problems catching the ball & dealing with crosses & didn't dominate his area at all. Gutted at the end, but obviously would have settled for 2-2 at the start. Disappointing to see us drop back into bottom four, but if we continue to battle as we did in 2nd half then surely we wont go down.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am

hullsaddler wrote:I know Grof made some good saves in 2nd half but that was the first time I've seen him & been a bit worried. He seemed to have real problems catching the ball & dealing with crosses & didn't dominate his area at all.

I agree that it was a rather eccentric performance from the big Hungarian. He started off punching everything - to the point where you figured that he'd either been told to do it or had simply decided to do it himself. Given that Matt Sadler clearly shouted "just catch it" to him half way through the first half (and that he stopped punching the ball completely in the second half) I think we can assume it was the latter.

Still, some great stops in the second half when Wednesday seemed certain to score. If we can sort out his decision making and handling from crosses he'll be a huge asset. His emergence is one of the big positives of the season for me.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season