Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 20/3/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 20/3/12

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 am

Agree with most of what has been said, and it was an excellent away point that in hindsight we were never going to be allowed to win (if they hadn't have equalised yet we'd have still been playing now). I think 'Fergie Time' should be rechristened 'Sheffield Time' after this 'Play until you score' farce, and the ridiculous decision to give Sheff Utd 6 minutes to try and rob us the other week.

Still don't feel I can right anything objective about last night as still livid they were allowed the time to equalise. It wouldn't have happened anywhere else.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am

priestley_saddler wrote:Agree with most of what has been said, and it was an excellent away point that in hindsight we were never going to be allowed to win (if they hadn't have equalised yet we'd have still been playing now). I think 'Fergie Time' should be rechristened 'Sheffield Time' after this 'Play until you score' farce, and the ridiculous decision to give Sheff Utd 6 minutes to try and rob us the other week.

Still don't feel I can right anything objective about last night as still livid they were allowed the time to equalise. It wouldn't have happened anywhere else.

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to be honest. We only had to defend for another 30 seconds maximum, no point blaming the ref. It's not like conceeding late goals is a new concept to us, we seem to be pretty good at it.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

hullsaddler wrote:Thought we were going to be buried in the first 20 minutes or so, but we hung on and then produced a tremendous performance in the second half. Must agree about the substitutions in injury time though...what was the point & the ref was going to add time on. I presume Smith thought that it would disrupt Sheff Wed push for an equaliser. Considering neither physio came on the pitch, I dont know where all that time came from.
Two excellent goals. Paterson's was sublime. I know Grof made some good saves in 2nd half but that was the first time I've seen him & been a bit worried. He seemed to have real problems catching the ball & dealing with crosses & didn't dominate his area at all. Gutted at the end, but obviously would have settled for 2-2 at the start. Disappointing to see us drop back into bottom four, but if we continue to battle as we did in 2nd half then surely we wont go down.

I'd agree with all of that Hull. Wednesday reminded me of a third division Stoke City, lumping the ball in at least half the match to the mutant centre forward occasionally joined by an even cruder centre half.

They had a couple of players who threw the ball an incredible distance, once reaching the far post to the surprise of even their own players. I'm not saying they lacked quality, there were a number of players who gave us the run around showing up our reluctance to tackle them until they were inside our penalty area. They hit the post and the bar and a number of shots just sailed narrowly wide or over including a wicked deflection off Hurst? which Grof just managed to get his foot too. Beavers was lucky to even see the ball let alone win it on most of the occasions he faced someone and when he did win it he merely presented it back to them with his trade mark misplaced pass/clearance.

Fair play to all the Walsall players, they really worked so hard throughout and the stoppage time equaliser must have hurt them as much as we felt it on the 'terraces', we deserved more but got a little which as others have already stated we'd have been more than happy with before the game.

By the way, terrible dated gloomy ground, no need to get romantic or sentimental about something that resembles a factory.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Cully wrote: Beavers was lucky to even see the ball let alone win it on most of the occasions he faced someone and when he did win it he merely presented it back to them with his trade mark misplaced pass/clearance.

By the way, terrible dated gloomy ground, no need to get romantic or sentimental about something that resembles a factory.

I agree there were far too many occasions especially late in the second half when Beevers had the chance to play the ball down the wing but merely reached as far as the first Wednesday player & put us under needless pressure.

I would hate to be in a sell out game there & find myself stuck behind one of those enormous blue pillars!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:Agree with most of what has been said, and it was an excellent away point that in hindsight we were never going to be allowed to win (if they hadn't have equalised yet we'd have still been playing now). I think 'Fergie Time' should be rechristened 'Sheffield Time' after this 'Play until you score' farce, and the ridiculous decision to give Sheff Utd 6 minutes to try and rob us the other week.

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to be honest. We only had to defend for another 30 seconds maximum, no point blaming the ref. It's not like conceeding late goals is a new concept to us, we seem to be pretty good at it.

I take the point that we SHOULD have seen it out, I agree with you. But the argument is largely irrelevant as we shouldn't have still been playing at that point.

Neither physio took to the field at all during any point of the game, so there was no 'injury' time as such. Sheffield Wednesday made two substitutions and that was it, so 1 minute injury time is all. I've heard some say that he added time on for the goals, but that's not the case (Leeds vs Forest last night had a second half consisting of seven goals and six subs and only had 4mins 43secs of stoppage time). Even if he had, 30 seconds a goal would have taken us up to 2mins 30secs. 30 seconds for each of our substitutions in injury time takes us up to 3mins 30secs. Whichever way you look at it, we should not have still been playing when the clock got to 94:53, it can't be justified in anyway shape or form by anyone, including the referee I suspect.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 pm

How many of our bookings were for kicking the ball away ? Refs will see that as time-wasting and will add time on for it.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 pm

One, Hurst.

Macken was booked for a tackle (which was a booking) and Manny was booked in the first half for not keeping his mouth shut (did Twittergate teach him nothing). They had one player booked during the stoppage that saw Macken brought off.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I take the point that we SHOULD have seen it out, I agree with you. But the argument is largely irrelevant as we shouldn't have still been playing at that point.

Neither physio took to the field at all during any point of the game, so there was no 'injury' time as such. Sheffield Wednesday made two substitutions and that was it, so 1 minute injury time is all. I've heard some say that he added time on for the goals, but that's not the case (Leeds vs Forest last night had a second half consisting of seven goals and six subs and only had 4mins 43secs of stoppage time). Even if he had, 30 seconds a goal would have taken us up to 2mins 30secs. 30 seconds for each of our substitutions in injury time takes us up to 3mins 30secs. Whichever way you look at it, we should not have still been playing when the clock got to 94:53, it can't be justified in anyway shape or form by anyone, including the referee I suspect.

Yes, I take your point, and obviously I'm not happy about it either. I couldn't for the life of me see where 6 mins came from v Sheff United either, even allowing for subs and goals. This seems to be a convenient excuse to me at times, I'm not totally convinced it is always applied.

I didn't go last night, but I am willing to take your word for the events, as your match reports are always accurate, factual, and a good read. You would think that refs at some point have to justify the amount of stoppage time to someone, even in a match report, or something.

I still stick with my point that seems more valid in my opinion though, we should have been able to see the game out, you play to the whistle (final) not when you think the game should finish. We didn't, and we payed for it (Again)

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:I take the point that we SHOULD have seen it out, I agree with you. But the argument is largely irrelevant as we shouldn't have still been playing at that point.

Referees are recommended to add 30 seconds stoppage time for each goal scored in a half. It is true that in a one-sided match, such as that at Leeds last night, they often use their discretion and give less stoppage time than the recommendation; in close matches, such as the match at Wednesday last night, they would be marked down by the assessor if they did not follow those guidelines.

Three goals = 1 min 30 secs
Two subs from Sheffied = 1 min
Total = 2 min 30 secs

So that means the referee felt that he needed to add an extra 90 secs for the usual amounts of wasted time in a match. That is not particularly excessive. I cannot remember a match having less than 3 minutes stoppage time at the end of 90 minutes, even a nil-nil with no trainer going on to the pitch.

The four minutes shown on the board meant that the match would have ended with a Walsall win if Smith had not made an almighty clanger in bringing on two unnecessary substitutes during stoppage time. The referee in a close match would have no choice but to add another minute. The defeat would not have happened if Smith had not brought the subs on and he should apologise to the Walsall fans.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Bernie wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:I take the point that we SHOULD have seen it out, I agree with you. But the argument is largely irrelevant as we shouldn't have still been playing at that point.

Referees are recommended to add 30 seconds stoppage time for each goal scored in a half. It is true that in a one-sided match, such as that at Leeds last night, they often use their discretion and give less stoppage time than the recommendation; in close matches, such as the match at Wednesday last night, they would be marked down by the assessor if they did not follow those guidelines.

Three goals = 1 min 30 secs
Two subs from Sheffied = 1 min
Total = 2 min 30 secs

So that means the referee felt that he needed to add an extra 90 secs for the usual amounts of wasted time in a match. That is not particularly excessive. I cannot remember a match having less than 3 minutes stoppage time at the end of 90 minutes, even a nil-nil with no trainer going on to the pitch.

The four minutes shown on the board meant that the match would have ended with a Walsall win if Smith had not made an almighty clanger in bringing on two unnecessary substitutes during stoppage time. The referee in a close match would have no choice but to add another minute. The defeat would not have happened if Smith had not brought the subs on and he should apologise to the Walsall fans.

Negative post alert! We didn't lose !

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 pm

a big well done to all that turned up and supported the lads last night, support was good, went off abit start of second half but obviously the goal helped spark us back to life for the rest of the game, means alot that the owls fans have put on their own forum that our support was very good and that we was non stop just like it should be :)

WHO PUT THE BALL IN THE WEDNESDAY NET MANNY !!! MANNY !!! :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

What I want to know is who's Mob won then?

SYC or the OCS?

Discuss.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Darth Vader wrote:What I want to know is who's Mob won then?

SYC or the OCS?

Discuss.

there was no trouble, just a few mouthy fickle wendy fans coming out with comments such as ' thats gotta hurt boys' to which i replied, have you forgoten boxing day to which he had no reply and walked on

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 pm

You should have gave them all a few windmills until each one collapsed on the deck thus whipped out yer' stanley and carving SYC into their fodders.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Darth Vader wrote:You should have gave them all a few windmills until each one collapsed on the deck thus whipped out yer' stanley and carving SYC into their fodders.

there was no aggro, the guy shut it after i reminded him of the heartbreak we gave them a few months ago, also the police were 10 yards away with hand held cameras.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I've got a mate who support Sarfampton and they were laughably getting recorded away to Burnley, so, he decided to get his phone out and record them, recording him. :lol:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:29 pm

the police were typical over forceful, push first ask questions never, we was standing around our mini bus and the police were trying to usher us in, which we was doing, but still they feel the need to forcefully push people in the back even if they carnt move anywhere because of people being infront of them, i asked one copper 'why are you always excessivley forceful' his reply 'because we can'- barclays !

times like last night make me happy coppers have had some good kick ins in the past like when rangers had them on their toes in manchester.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 pm

brummie saddler wrote:the police were typical over forceful, push first ask questions never, we was standing around our mini bus and the police were trying to usher us in, which we was doing, but still they feel the need to forcefully push people in the back even if they carnt move anywhere because of people being infront of them, i asked one copper 'why are you always excessivley forceful' his reply 'because we can'- winner !

times like last night make me happy coppers have had some good kick ins in the past like when rangers had them on their toes in manchester.

Sounds about right.

Then they expect symapthy when they are forced to sort out riots. What is the point in a riot "because we can" Obviously I don't agree with riots, or anything like that, which makes me better than idiots that come out with stuff like that in my opinion.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Confirmation of the Lesser Spotted @Taundz in attendance last night. In this picture he is texting tactical instructions to Dean Smith at half time.

I introduced myself and spent a good ten minutes showing him all the rude things Saarland has said about him on UTS over the last two years. Then I gave him Daz's home address and phone number.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

What a fan.

Class that is.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Most of last night has been said above, I am proud proud proud of that wonderfull performance..remember Wednesday are virtually THE in-form team of the moment, and that bloke Antonio is just a class act, how we survived those two shots that rocked our bar in the first half I will never know. And how BIG are thier defenders? that No.3 must be about 6ft 8"!!!!
Gutted of course, I almost wept as that out of time equaliser went in......we wus robbed of three points no mistake...even thier supporters coming away from the match handed out regrets at the lost points!
The overwhelming memory of such a wonderful night was at the end of the match when all our players just collapsed in a heap, or lay down in utter disbelief that they had let three points disappear so tragically.
Proud to be a Saddler, if we do go down it will be a travesty and an injustice...those players last night gave thier all, with pride, passion and dedication....they never gave up, indeed they showed Wednesday a few things on the night....where has this all come from?
UTS :D :D :D :D
Onwards and upwards.....

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Pleanty of praise from the Wednesday fans for us lot last night:

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... alsall-fc/

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 am

That's fantastic! Meks yer proud

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am

bangsection wrote:Image

Confirmation of the Lesser Spotted @Taundz in attendance last night. In this picture he is texting tactical instructions to Dean Smith at half time.

I introduced myself and spent a good ten minutes showing him all the rude things Saarland has said about him on UTS over the last two years. Then I gave him Daz's home address and phone number.

he sat in front of us for 20 mins of the first half gassing to ricketts

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

windowman wrote:

Ricketts? Michael Ricketts? He's got some spare time now though hasn't he?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
windowman wrote:

Ricketts? Michael Ricketts? He's got some spare time now though hasn't he?

Get him on!!!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:54 pm

David Jones is illegitimate he aint got no birth certificate, he shags ********** and gets away with it dirty dingle fool

song of the night :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

:lol: Love it.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Ricketts? Michael Ricketts? He's got some spare time now though hasn't he?

Must have if he's made the effort to come and watch us!

He retired some time ago, apparently. Some would argue he retired during his second spell with us. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Taundz. What a geez. Dont see that much these days. :P

Glad we had a good go as fans to. Its a bit strange as most of the posters on that Wednesday board are quite literate, and seem normal. A rarity in Sheffield :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season