Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Saturday 17/3/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Saturday 17/3/12.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:53 pm

The worry is that Wycombe have a striker who has scored 19 is it (Beavon) and signed Paul Hayes who has scored 4 in 3 or something like that.

We don't have that at all.

WE NEED to invest in a proper striker.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:53 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Unfortunately we will get relegated if we don't pick up anything from those 4 games.

Blame the board - might be too little too late.

Really bad day with all the other results in our league today :(

Put your worry beads away - We will be OK :)

How can you be so sure? I'm just a little worried that sides around us have suddenly found out how to pick up 3 points. Wycombe have found their goalscoring boots and Chesterfield keep going through good & bad spells.
I'm worried unless we find a goalscorer.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:55 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Unfortunately we will get relegated if we don't pick up anything from those 4 games.

How can you be so sure? I'm just a little worried that sides around us have suddenly found out how to pick up 3 points. Wycombe have found their goalscoring boots and Chesterfield keep going through good & bad spells.

Optimistic, rather than sure. No disgrace in this result, particularly the way we have competed, by the sounds of it. It's all bunching up just above us/

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:58 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Optimistic, rather than sure. No disgrace in this result, particularly the way we have competed, by the sounds of it. It's all bunching up just above us/

It's below us I'm worried about! :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:59 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

It's our first loss in 6 games (we're also top 6 in the form table), calm yourself down a little.

Yeovil are flying, more so than ourselves.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I think this bottom half is weird as anything.

Yeovil do brilliantly, Scunthorpe take points off of Charlton and Wycombe, who were one of the worst teams I have ever seen, have scored for fun.

Not worried yet, signings have been decent and we've shown in the last month that we can play.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:02 pm

1st defeat in 7?, narrowly against the form team of the division. Some perspective is needed.

If we can get 13 points from the last 10 games, we'll stay up. Even without the striker (who should have been brought in instead of Ledesma), I think we've just enough to get there. Bring a half way decent target man in, we'd stay up with comfort. I'm concerned, not scared, at present.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:The worry is that Wycombe have a striker who has scored 19 is it (Beavon) and signed Paul Hayes who has scored 4 in 3 or something like that.

Walsall sign a real striker? Dont talk so effing stupid!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

It's our first loss in 6 games (we're also top 6 in the form table), calm yourself down a little.

Calm down a little? Our first loss in 6 games and we find ourselves sitting one point above relegation. Somehow I can't see us going on another unbeaten 6 game run. Wycombe have goalscorers, we don't. That's the main difference and could tell in the end.
I was worried before, during, and now after the 'unbeaten run'.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:The worry is that Wycombe have a striker who has scored 19 is it (Beavon) and signed Paul Hayes who has scored 4 in 3 or something like that.

We still might. Reports were that DS was looking at a couple of options

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 pm

That game in hand over the four clubs below is looking vital now .
We are still in with a fighting chance .

UTS

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Calm down a little? Our first loss in 6 games and we find ourselves sitting one point above relegation. Somehow I can't see us going on another unbeaten 6 game run. Wycombe have goalscorers, we don't. That's the main difference and could tell in the end.
I was worried before, during, and now after the 'unbeaten run'.

I'd have bitten anyone's hand off for a draw today, because, quite frankly, they're absolutely booming and we're travelling to their gaff. Sadly, it wasn't to be and we lost, we now move on the Sheffield Wednesday away which isn't as important, it's the next few home games which are must-wins/panic times...
Last edited by Darth Vader on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm VERY worried, the teams above us are pulling away, (God bless Bury's poor run of form) but ALL the teams below us with the exception of Exeter are findng that winning form, not good, with another almost certain defeat at Hillsborough on Tuesday and we are right in the mix for relegation....again...we need a striker...is it only US that can see that, is there no one at the club capable of seeing our problem?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:I'm VERY worried, the teams above us are pulling away, (God bless Bury's poor run of form) but ALL the teams below us with the exception of Exeter are findng that winning form, not good, with another almost certain defeat at Hillsborough on Tuesday and we are right in the mix for relegation....again...we need a striker...is it only US that can see that, is there no one at the club capable of seeing our problem?

Like Chestersaddler said, we still might be signing one up.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:I'm VERY worried, the teams above us are pulling away, (God bless Bury's poor run of form) but ALL the teams below us with the exception of Exeter are findng that winning form, not good, with another almost certain defeat at Hillsborough on Tuesday and we are right in the mix for relegation....again...we need a striker...is it only US that can see that, is there no one at the club capable of seeing our problem?

Like Chestersaddler said, we still might be signing one up.

Lets hope for all our sakes that he's found a good 'un, not some 7 stone spotty youth from Hednesford Town's reserves!!
If we are to survive it has to be a 'brick closet' like Parkin, not pleasing on the eye, but capable of getting that round leathery thingy between the sticks more often than our midfield currently achieve (I'm discounting all our supposed strikers, cus theym crud!).

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I think this bottom half is weird as anything.

Yeovil do brilliantly, Scunthorpe take points off of Charlton and Wycombe, who were one of the worst teams I have ever seen, have scored for fun.

Not worried yet, signings have been decent and we've shown in the last month that we can play.

Correct McBentos, only the stayaways should be worried - they know nothing about the team or the colour of your hirsute face.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

Walsall sign a real striker? Dont talk so effing stupid!

We have had a few over the years. Even Bonser has stumped up the cash for some of them :wink:

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Just Got back.

Frustrating result. We should have got a point against Woeful.

Player Ratings:

Grof - 8 Felt very sorry for him. Both Yeovil's goals involved strange deflections. Made a great save just before Yeovil's 2nd. Alas all in vain
Beevers - 6 - Did ok. Doesn't seem to add much when going forward though and Yeovil always seemed more threatening attacking down their left.
Butler 6 - Typical Butler performance commanding the defence. I think he played a long cross field ball to no-one which led to Yeovil's first which is why I marked him down.
Lancashire 7 - Did nothing wrong. Looked quite assured on the ball
Sadler 8 - Looked solid and got forward well.
Mantom 7 - Some good long range shots including the goal too.
Cuvelier 8 - My MoM. Always looks capable of creating something 90% of the time. Sadly the other 10% occurred when we needed some magic from him at the end.
Hurst 5 - Largely anonymous. Also, no idea what he got booked for.
Nicholls 6 - Don't want to be harsh on him, he did ok, but he makes the wrong choice too often. A good example was a cracking shot he had, which was very impressive but there was a Walsall player in acres of space and a simple pass was the right choice.
Macken 6- Disappointing game from Postman Pat. Never looked like scoring.
Ledesma 7 - Encouraging start. Showed some touches of class and really pleased to have him back. Gets pushed off the ball too easily though which is a concern when we need to fight in the last few games.

Subs

Paterson - Didn't do much wrong.
Peterlin - Brought on for Ledesma and played on the right wing. Seems a strange place to play him. Didn't really add anything when he came on though.
Bowerman - Not on long enough to do anything.

Ref was pretty rubbish as seems to be par for the course these days. To be fair he was equally rubbish for both sides.

On the plus side it was decent performance again. We certainly look good enough to stay up and looked at least as good as Yeovil who are the 'form side' of the division.

I still think we'll stay up.

UTS

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I love this board. A game that could of gone either way and feel diss appointed not to of least got a point. My only disappointment is that lessens was subbed for peterlin when we had the momentum on the counter. Still crusty cobs were nice. See all you armchair managers at Sheffield

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Deserved a point today. Their 2 goals down to a massive deflection for the first and what looked like an own goal off Peterlin for the winner. Feel sorry for Grof a wonder save and then threw himself at the rebound to block the follow up shot. Unfortunatley he was picking the ball out of the net from the resulting corner after what looked like an own goal.
Would like to ask what does it take to get a penalty. Defender had Macken in an armlock round the throat in clear veiw of the referee's assistant and nothing given. It was a more blatent penalty than last week when the keeper flattened him.
One last thing thanks to the racist behind me for taking me back to the 70's with his pathtic rasict comments all game.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Ooops meant ledesma

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Cheesebag wrote:I love this board. A game that could of gone either way and feel diss appointed not to of least got a point. My only disappointment is that lessens was subbed for peterlin when we had the momentum on the counter. Still crusty cobs were nice. See all you armchair managers at Sheffield

Yes, you are quite right. We should all be out celebrating losing instead.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Deserved a point today. Their 2 goals down to a massive deflection for the first and what looked like an own goal off Peterlin for the winner. Feel sorry for Grof a wonder save and then threw himself at the rebound to block the follow up shot. Unfortunatley he was picking the ball out of the net from the resulting corner after what looked like an own goal.
Would like to ask what does it take to get a penalty. Defender had Macken in an armlock round the throat in clear veiw of the referee's assistant and nothing given. It was a more blatent penalty than last week when the keeper flattened him.
One last thing thanks to the racist behind me for taking me back to the 70's with his pathtic rasict comments all game.

I agree entirely with this, but I would say yeovil had a decent claim for a penalty too, so I wouldn't get hung up about the dodgy ref.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Worsul wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:I love this board. A game that could of gone either way and feel diss appointed not to of least got a point. My only disappointment is that lessens was subbed for peterlin when we had the momentum on the counter. Still crusty cobs were nice. See all you armchair managers at Sheffield

Smith out then eh? I quite enjoyed the game to be fair. A few months ago we would have been down three at half time but we ate seriously now a fighting chance do lets get behing em eh? It's amazing on here wins get three or so pages lose and we get six or seven. Some people it seems can't wait for the team to fail

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Worsul wrote:

Smith out then eh? I quite enjoyed the game to be fair. A few months ago we would have been down three at half time but we ate seriously now a fighting chance do lets get behing em eh? It's amazing on here wins get three or so pages lose and we get six or seven. Some people it seems can't wait for the team to fail

No, not all. I agree that people have been far too quick to jump on Deano's back. We've been on a great run and he deserves a lot of credit. (I wouldn't mind hearing why he brought Peterlin on and played him on the right wing though).

Doesn't mean I can't feel disappointed at losing a game that we deserved to get something out of and only lost due to two weird deflections though.

I think you make a valid point about Walsall fans being too negative in general.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Oh fudge off. We lost our first game in 6 or whatever. Boo hoo. Match of the Day is on in a bit.

UTS.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Graydon48 wrote:One last thing thanks to the racist behind me for taking me back to the 70's with his pathtic rasict comments all game.

Level with the goalline, about five rows from the back? Or was there more than one? He was with a bunch of mates/acquaintances who seem to find his comments acceptable so i don't know if anyone on here knows him/them. I can take the childish behaviour of some of our younger fans with a pinch of salt, but to have that racist thug among our 'fans' makes me cross.
As for the game, i agree with the comments above (those who actualky went, that is). Lots of chances for both sides, they had a bit of luck with their goals, we were wasteful both in front of goal and round the box. All were at fault for that, not just Nicholls. Could not understand the substitutions - Peterlin on the wing? Paterson behind the front two? Cuvelier on the left? I hope they weren't evidence of Smith reverting to old ways after the departure of O'Kelly.
That kind of performance will be enough to beat a lot of teams, I just hope we don't lose heart if we lose to Sheff Wed.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I can understand heat of the moment racist but persistent racist is fudge shameful.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 pm

People saying the "Black country Messi" make me cringe.

Almost as bad as "pride of midlands".

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 pm

latviancheese wrote:People saying the "Black country Messi" make me cringe.

Almost as bad as "pride of midlands".

Oh, definitely.

Needs dropping, now.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season