Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 10/3/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 10/3/12.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:44 pm

As entertaining and competetive as the SPL.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:45 pm

For diving and all round poncey Scunthorpe.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 pm

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 pm

You can sit behind your little memes and cack. If thats what pleases you so be it

At the end of the day, you are sucked in by the pure anal sex of Sky too. Your just as bad as a Liverpool fan.

Its a bit like the Oscars, you know whose gonna get on the telly, but they arent the best films by a longshot.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 pm

:lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 am

latviancheese wrote:You can sit behind your little memes and guano. If thats what pleases you so be it

At the end of the day, you are sucked in by the pure anal sex of Sky too. Your just as bad as a Liverpool fan.

Its a bit like the Oscars, you know whose gonna get on the telly, but they arent the best films by a longshot.

I haven't been sucked in by anything. I went to the national Brazilian soccer academy when I was 10 and saw how the game should be played.

Pass, Move, Pass, Move.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
Have you forgotten which is the best league in the world? ...and also the european and world champions are?

Game, set and...

If your going to tell me the Spanish league is the best in the world im going to roll around on the floor with laughter.

The Spanish league is the best in the world.

Agreed. You only have to look at the way Athletic Bilbao effectively outplayed Man Ure at Old Trafford - and they're only 5th in La Liga at the moment.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:38 am

BathSaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
Have you forgotten which is the best league in the world? ...and also the european and world champions are?

Game, set and...

If your going to tell me the Spanish league is the best in the world im going to roll around on the floor with laughter.

The Spanish league is the best in the world.

Agreed. You only have to look at the way Athletic Bilbao effectively outplayed Man Ure at Old Trafford - and they're only 5th in La Liga at the moment.

Exactly. Manchester United (vying for the title) were made to look like children against Bilbao.

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 am

latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:I think I was a bit harsh in hindsight.

One of my biggest bugbears in football is losing possession by channel hoofing - it absolutely does my head in.

The worst thing in my mind is repeated sideways going nowhere football, then second it would be aimless hoofball.

....and that's why England are behind in football.

You clearly mistake my point.

In my opinion, you keep possesion when you are winning. If its 0-0 what is a ball across the back four going to achieve, other than to bore fans to death. Its boring barclays football, its just as bad as hoofball. Because you are being a pussy and not going anywhere with it, these teams try to play possesion football, but are scared to use it properly.

Id rather watch a dog being bummed slowly by a squirell than your beloved Spanish football. German, English, Italian, its all more entertaining.

What sort of dog?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:27 am

Dr David Kelly wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:I think I was a bit harsh in hindsight.

One of my biggest bugbears in football is losing possession by channel hoofing - it absolutely does my head in.

The worst thing in my mind is repeated sideways going nowhere football, then second it would be aimless hoofball.

....and that's why England are behind in football.

You clearly mistake my point.

In my opinion, you keep possesion when you are winning. If its 0-0 what is a ball across the back four going to achieve, other than to bore fans to death. Its boring barclays football, its just as bad as hoofball. Because you are being a pussy and not going anywhere with it, these teams try to play possesion football, but are scared to use it properly.

Id rather watch a dog being bummed slowly by a squirell than your beloved Spanish football. German, English, Italian, its all more entertaining.

What sort of dog?

...red or grey squirrel?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:28 am

....and a good point against eleven cavemen and a blind ref with pink frilly undies. Thems the breaks sometimes.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 10/3/12.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:I haven't been sucked in by anything. I went to the national Brazilian soccer academy when I was 10 and saw how the game should be played.

Pass, Move, Pass, Move.

Heh. There's a bloke who sits upstairs near me who agrees with you. Loudly. Even when we haven't got the ball...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 am

Not got time to argue about the merits of playing pass and move or w/e. It's 3rd division football, that is all I have to say on the matter.

Back on topic

On another day, with a bit better run of the ball, we would have won the game. We were the only side who tried to win the game, but we seemed to play the ball mainly long and straight to Hartlepool's big and strong defence.

Second half, we were a bit better, made a few chances, a few which we should have converted, but it wasn't to be. 4 points out the last two games is a decent return, although this is two points dropped in some respects, it's another point towards the cause. No need to jump off a cliff or anything.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Not got time to argue about the merits of playing pass and move or w/e. It's 3rd division football, that is all I have to say on the matter.

Back on topic

On another day, with a bit better run of the ball, we would have won the game. We were the only side who tried to win the game, but we seemed to play the ball mainly long and straight to Hartlepool's big and strong defence.

Second half, we were a bit better, made a few chances, a few which we should have converted, but it wasn't to be. 4 points out the last two games is a decent return, although this is two points dropped in some respects, it's another point towards the cause. No need to jump off a cliff or anything.

I agree with the rodent brain disector, that passing and moving is the way to play football and entertain the paying public. The inclusion of Beevers and Smith in the side does not help, however.
When we pass it from the back, we look a far better side.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Exile wrote:...red or grey squirrel?

What about a black squirrel? What you got against the black squirrel?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I dont appear to be able to explain my point.

Oh well.

UTS

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:14 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Moron and clown, please stop praising me :D

Anyone who thinks Grigg is anything more than a pub player has surley got to be put down and put out of their misery. If you had opened your eyes, you would have seen Maken 20yrds out screaming for the ball, not saying he would have scored, but we'd have had an opportunity to create a far batter chance than from the angle grigg was shooting from.

Chatting absolute rubbish mate. Where were you watching from? I was side on and there was nobody near him. He hit a decent effort after being on for about 2 mins and the keeper kept it out. Macken was toddling through after this. Did you see Grigg pull in back on a plate for Mantom who was unfortunate with a bobble or were you looking to your left, I mean right, either way you wouldn't know as you seem to struggle with the idea.

Bowerman is supposed to be a first class finisher isn't he?? Shame he missed our 4-5 best chances today.

What was wrong with what Grigg did when he came on? He put himself about and went close a couple of times with half chances, then he got injured. Not much you can do with a dead leg or hammy inure and even then he played a few nice touches.

glad i didnt have to put this silly outlook right, thanks, the option to shoot i think was a rush of blood to the head, but it was a good effort and maken looked to be on after the ball had gone out of play, plus we would be praising grigg to high heaven for great vision to set up a mantom tap in.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:42 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

Anyone who thinks Grigg is anything more than a pub player has surley got to be put down and put out of their misery. If you had opened your eyes, you would have seen Maken 20yrds out screaming for the ball, not saying he would have scored, but we'd have had an opportunity to create a far batter chance than from the angle grigg was shooting from.

Chatting absolute rubbish mate. Where were you watching from? I was side on and there was nobody near him. He hit a decent effort after being on for about 2 mins and the keeper kept it out. Macken was toddling through after this. Did you see Grigg pull in back on a plate for Mantom who was unfortunate with a bobble or were you looking to your left, I mean right, either way you wouldn't know as you seem to struggle with the idea.

Bowerman is supposed to be a first class finisher isn't he?? Shame he missed our 4-5 best chances today.

What was wrong with what Grigg did when he came on? He put himself about and went close a couple of times with half chances, then he got injured. Not much you can do with a dead leg or hammy inure and even then he played a few nice touches.

glad i didnt have to put this silly outlook right, thanks, the option to shoot i think was a rush of blood to the head, but it was a good effort and maken looked to be on after the ball had gone out of play, plus we would be praising grigg to high heaven for great vision to set up a mantom tap in.

NO, hes just a brainless 'footballer' who runs around like a headless chicken!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

by the looks of it you have a grudge with him, because quite a number of people have said that hes lazy so trying to downgrade him to a headless chicken on your own seems dodgey, personally i dont think he has that apprentice attitude of, im going to put myself all over the place so i can hopefully show what i can do, he seems like he is confident in his ability to make up for his lack of chasing lost causes for the team, we owe him time for scoring that winner against the daggers last season with a beautiful finish against a keeper who was having a good night against us. i do think he needs to show what he is capable of because the way he has been for parts of this season it suggests that he is becoming complacent.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:48 am

brummie saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

by the looks of it you have a grudge with him, because quite a number of people have said that hes lazy so trying to downgrade him to a headless chicken on your own seems dodgey, personally i dont think he has that apprentice attitude of, im going to put myself all over the place so i can hopefully show what i can do, he seems like he is confident in his ability to make up for his lack of chasing lost causes for the team, we owe him time for scoring that winner against the daggers last season with a beautiful finish against a keeper who was having a good night against us. i do think he needs to show what he is capable of because the way he has been for parts of this season it suggests that he is becoming complacent.

No, just rubbish!

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 am

I think alot of people seemed to think that we should have recreated the performance again Sheff Utd, I can sort of see why but I think a few people are missing a few points;

- Sheff Utd came for the win, thus left space at the back which we played into very well.
- Hartlepool came for the draw, thus closing any space we had against Sheff Utd.
- Flo seemed to tire towards the end, his touch seemed to let him down a couple of times.

Don't get me wrong, I am frustrated we didn't win. But we have to accept we are still on an unbeaten run and another clean sheet. I think we will get our points away from home.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 am

ihatethecorps wrote:No, just rubbish!

Wonderful insight yet again from obviously a highly intelligent follower of the Saddlers! :lol:

Keeping rubbing those 2 brain cells together chap.......but don't think too hard as you wouldn't want to start a fire.

Hartofthepool

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

Now then boys and girls. A great result for you lot on saturday hanging on against the Mighty Pools.

Seriously, great to see you pulling away from the bottom. :D

Just a few points about our team, as we seem to have come in for a bit of critisism from some of you.

I wasnt there saturday, but from the highlights it does seem we were a bit fortunate.

In defence though:

We have three strikers injured...James Poole, Luke James and Colin Nish....as well as your recent nemisis Colin larkin, who only scores agaianst you. James Brown and Adam Boyd are only fit enough for the bench as well.

So up front we had Ritchie Humphreys aged around 56. Who has spent most of his time at Pools at left back.

We lost our skipper and centre back Sam Collins before the game, and we were also without one of our main Midfielders Gary Liddle.

We had 3 teenagers playing and another two on the bench. One making his debut and another playing just his second game.

So we were hardly likely to come out and go all out attack, with no strikers in the starting 11 at all.

What I DO love though are the comments that we kicked everything that moved. If we did that with one of the most inexperienced sides we have ever sent out, and one of the youngest, then I am proud of hard young buggers. 8)

By the way, it was deffo a penner when Flinders ran into the back of your striker. God knows what the ref was looking at. :roll:

Anyway, thats all folks.

Good luck for the rest of the season, get away from the drop zone, and for godsake cheer up. :wink: :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:38 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I think alot of people seemed to think that we should have recreated the performance again Sheff Utd, I can sort of see why but I think a few people are missing a few points;

- Sheff Utd came for the win, thus left space at the back which we played into very well.
- Hartlepool came for the draw, thus closing any space we had against Sheff Utd.
- Flo seemed to tire towards the end, his touch seemed to let him down a couple of times.

Don't get me wrong, I am frustrated we didn't win. But we have to accept we are still on an unbeaten run and another clean sheet. I think we will get our points away from home.

Spot on

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I think alot of people seemed to think that we should have recreated the performance again Sheff Utd, I can sort of see why but I think a few people are missing a few points;

Good post, the first two points dictated how we would approach the game. The third, I can't comment as I wasn't at the game.

Hartlepool were never going to come here to play football with their selection problems. From what I've heard we should have won the game in the second half but we got a point instead and are still on our unbeaten run. This is pretty good going if you ask me considering where we were 4 weeks ago.

Some people expect miracles - just be glad we are moving in the right direction up the table.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 am

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:No, just rubbish!

Wonderful insight yet again from obviously a highly intelligent follower of the Saddlers! :lol:

Keeping rubbing those 2 brain cells together chap.......but don't think too hard as you wouldn't want to start a fire.

Ok Ironside :shock:

Will Grigg has gone from being first choice to playing second fiddle to Paterson, Bowerman, Nicholls and even Jarvis (when he was with us) in less than 6 months, and these have barely muster'd 15 goals between them. Such great progress from such a highly gifted and intelligent footballer :roll: .

Anyone who believes Grigg is a good player must be blind or ready to be committed to the asylum. Anyone who went to L. Orient and saw the lack of effort (other 10 wernt that much cop either tbh) from him will understand where im coming from.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 am

Really should have won the game, but Hartlepool came and played 4-5-1 and wanted the draw.

We just haven't got a strike force capable of scoring consistently, thats why we're in the bottom 15 scorers in all four leagues on goals per game.

Bowerman is still very young and inexperienced, but does play the game the right way, on the shoulder of the last defender, Nicholls misses from 12 yards with onlu the keeper to beat, Grigg is too slow and Macken's legs have gone. A striker is a must.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Ok Ironside :shock:

Will Grigg has gone from being first choice to playing second fiddle to Paterson, Bowerman, Nicholls and even Jarvis (when he was with us) in less than 6 months, and these have barely muster'd 15 goals between them. Such great progress from such a highly gifted and intelligent footballer :roll: .

Anyone who believes Grigg is a good player must be blind or ready to be committed to the asylum. Anyone who went to L. Orient and saw the lack of effort (other 10 wernt that much cop either tbh) from him will understand where im coming from.

This is just not true in the slightest. Do you watch the games?

a) Paterson plays on the wing for a start, i.e. not Grigg's position.
b) Nicholls has over 200 appearances for the club so therefore is a more established pro than the 20 year old Grigg and both have battled for starting positions based on form.
c) Bowerman has had 2 starts and missed a hatful of chance, however has deserved his chance.
d) Jarvis ousted Grigg for 2-3 games when Grigg went away on international duty at the start of the season and then scored a couple of goals so kept his place.

Grigg is is his first full season as a starting player or a main part of the squad. For most of the season, i.e. until the last 2 games when we have had 2 decent central midfielders, the supply to the frontmen has been abysmal. You quote Grigg as being a headless chicken but then also say he is lazy? If anything he is the opposite of a headless chicken, something that could be used to describe Nicholls for example.

I am not saying he is setting the world alight, however he definitely did not deserve the criticism you have been giving him after what was a decent performance after coming on for Bowerman. At his age and playing in a fairly poor team then confidence is obviously going to fluctuate.

Based on the comments I am therefore assuming you are clueless and do not understand such things. :roll:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Ok Ironside :shock:

This is just not true in the slightest. Do you watch the games?

a) Paterson plays on the wing for a start, i.e. not Grigg's position.
b) Nicholls has over 200 appearances for the club so therefore is a more established pro than the 20 year old Grigg and both have battled for starting positions based on form.
c) Bowerman has had 2 starts and missed a hatful of chance, however has deserved his chance.
d) Jarvis ousted Grigg for 2-3 games when Grigg went away on international duty at the start of the season and then scored a couple of goals so kept his place.

Grigg is is his first full season as a starting player or a main part of the squad. For most of the season, i.e. until the last 2 games when we have had 2 decent central midfielders, the supply to the frontmen has been abysmal. You quote Grigg as being a headless chicken but then also say he is lazy? If anything he is the opposite of a headless chicken, something that could be used to describe Nicholls for example.

I am not saying he is setting the world alight, however he definitely did not deserve the criticism you have been giving him after what was a decent performance after coming on for Bowerman. At his age and playing in a fairly poor team then confidence is obviously going to fluctuate.

Based on the comments I am therefore assuming you are clueless and do not understand such things. :roll:

Didnt last very long did it?

Lazy as in terms of, cannot or will not jump for a ball, and headless chicken as in he seems to run in any direction for no apparent reason while trying hard not to fall over.

It really is baffling how some (the minority) people believe that he's a good player, he cant jump, he's slow as a cart horse and has a poor footballing brain.

If you think im clueless or not really does not bother me as I know most fans think he should have been shipped out on loan long before now to 'free' up wages as he offers us absolutely nothing to the club at the minute.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Didnt last very long did it?

Lazy as in terms of, cannot or will not jump for a ball, and headless chicken as in he seems to run in any direction for no apparent reason while trying hard not to fall over.

It really is baffling how some (the minority) people believe that he's a good player, he cant jump, he's slow as a cart horse and has a poor footballing brain.

If you think im clueless or not really does not bother me as I know most fans think he should have been shipped out on loan long before now to 'free' up wages as he offers us absolutely nothing to the club at the minute.

Yes, that would be why everyone who has commented on your initial comment so far has disagreed with your opinion. Please explain how someone who is 5'11' and wants the ball to feet is supposed to compete in the air with 6'3'' and 14 stone defenders?? Nobody in our team that is for certain which is why our strikers performances have suffered this season as they have only had long ball hoofing as supply!

He can jump and isn't bad in the air unless it is a mortar shell against a huge defender. He isn't as slow as some people say. He most definitely does not have a poor footballing brain, in fact that is one of his strengths. If he did have a poor footballing brain then he wouln't have spotted the pull back to Mantom at the weekend would he. He is a good footballer just playing in a team where route one tactics are required due to a sense of constant panic. I am sure this will be proven one day should he end up in a decent passing side.

Most fans think he should have been sent out on loan? This is a bold statement. A large number of fans were calling for Bowerman to start yet all he has succeeded in doing is missing some of our best chances in the last 2 games.

He did well last season and helped us stay up. He has now had a mixed season to date, yet that means he is useless and needs to be shipped out? Please explain to me who has had a good season so far in our squad? Not many that is for sure. I certainly doubt getting rid of Grigg would free up much in terms of wage budget.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season