Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 10/3/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
IHTC.
Site Addict

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 10/3/12.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:24 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Didnt last very long did it?

Lazy as in terms of, cannot or will not jump for a ball, and headless chicken as in he seems to run in any direction for no apparent reason while trying hard not to fall over.

It really is baffling how some (the minority) people believe that he's a good player, he cant jump, he's slow as a cart horse and has a poor footballing brain.

If you think im clueless or not really does not bother me as I know most fans think he should have been shipped out on loan long before now to 'free' up wages as he offers us absolutely nothing to the club at the minute.

Yes, that would be why everyone who has commented on your initial comment so far has disagreed with your opinion. Please explain how someone who is 5'11' and wants the ball to feet is supposed to compete in the air with 6'3'' and 14 stone defenders?? Nobody in our team that is for certain which is why our strikers performances have suffered this season as they have only had long ball hoofing as supply!

He can jump and isn't bad in the air unless it is a mortar shell against a huge defender. He isn't as slow as some people say. He most definitely does not have a poor footballing brain, in fact that is one of his strengths. If he did have a poor footballing brain then he wouln't have spotted the pull back to Mantom at the weekend would he. He is a good footballer just playing in a team where route one tactics are required due to a sense of constant panic. I am sure this will be proven one day should he end up in a decent passing side.

Most fans think he should have been sent out on loan? This is a bold statement. A large number of fans were calling for Bowerman to start yet all he has succeeded in doing is missing some of our best chances in the last 2 games.

He did well last season and helped us stay up. He has now had a mixed season to date, yet that means he is useless and needs to be shipped out? Please explain to me who has had a good season so far in our squad? Not many that is for sure. I certainly doubt getting rid of Grigg would free up much in terms of wage budget.

Walker/Grof, Sadler, Smith, Lancashire, Butler, Hurst (getting better after injury), Macken (does what he does best and holds the ball up bringing other people into play). Theres 8 for you from a relatively poor season, not bad going is it?

League 1 will always be where Grigg plays (unless hes relegated) and be the pinnacle of his career.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Did you just say Hurst ? I nearly peed myself. Awful footballer. Ship him back to Carlisle ASAP. I would also add, if we had stuck with Grof this season, instead of allowing Walker to complete his record, we would be several points better off now.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Did you just say Hurst ? I nearly peed myself. Awful footballer. Ship him back to Carlisle ASAP. I would also add, if we had stuck with Grof this season, instead of allowing Walker to complete his record, we would be several points better off now.

I agree he's not brilliant but he appears to be playing better now than before his injury and it has coincided with our best run of form all season.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Did you just say Hurst ? I nearly peed myself. Awful footballer. Ship him back to Carlisle ASAP. I would also add, if we had stuck with Grof this season, instead of allowing Walker to complete his record, we would be several points better off now.

I agree he's not brilliant but he appears to be playing better now than before his injury and it has coincided with our best run of form all season.

I thought he was shocking on Saturday. Sadly, he is as good as we have for that position. Need better for next season.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:56 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Walker/Grof, Sadler, Smith, Lancashire, Butler, Hurst (getting better after injury), Macken (does what he does best and holds the ball up bringing other people into play). Theres 8 for you from a relatively poor season, not bad going is it?

League 1 will always be where Grigg plays (unless hes relegated) and be the pinnacle of his career.

Well done, obviously you can add fortune teller to your list of attributes! :lol: Are you therefore admitting he is a league 1 player? If so then that would most certainly class him as good enough for us. You seem to be forgetting he is only 20.

Walker/Grof - granted.
Sadler - mixed. Although steady he plays too much long ball.
Smith - has been good but also got dropped at half time for a poor recent performance.
Lancashire/Butler - agreed but they both need to learn how to pass the ball.
Hurst - really????
Macken - has been mixed. Needs ball to feet as do Grigg, Bowerman and Nicholls.

Of the above I would say only the keepers and maybe a few of the defenders could be classed as having had a 'good' season. Instead of calling me blind then perhaps you could pop to Specsavers yourself :P

Over and out from me. Look forward to your no doubt highly educated and insightful reply, however I am done and have nothing left to say on the matter.

UTS :mrgreen:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

I thought he was shocking on Saturday. Sadly, he is as good as we have for that position. Need better for next season.

I thought he looked much better on the right, and completely lost on the left. I would rather us do a DD and put two left backs on the flank, at least then we would have somebody comfortable using their left.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Walker/Grof, Sadler, Smith, Lancashire, Butler, Hurst (getting better after injury), Macken (does what he does best and holds the ball up bringing other people into play). Theres 8 for you from a relatively poor season, not bad going is it?

Well done, obviously you can add fortune teller to your list of attributes! :lol: Are you therefore admitting he is a league 1 player? If so then that would most certainly class him as good enough for us. You seem to be forgetting he is only 20.

Walker/Grof - granted.
Sadler - mixed. Although steady he plays too much long ball.
Smith - has been good but also got dropped at half time for a poor recent performance.
Lancashire/Butler - agreed but they both need to learn how to pass the ball.
Hurst - really????
Macken - has been mixed. Needs ball to feet as do Grigg, Bowerman and Nicholls.

Of the above I would say only the keepers and maybe a few of the defenders could be classed as having had a 'good' season. Instead of calling me blind then perhaps you could pop to Specsavers yourself :P

Over and out from me. Look forward to your no doubt highly educated and insightful reply, however I am done and have nothing left to say on the matter.

UTS :mrgreen:

You moronic idiot, we have the 6th best defensive record in the league and we are only one place above the relegation zone :shock:

Sadler mixed? ? Get a grip you clown

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Hartofthepool wrote:So up front we had Ritchie Humphreys aged around 56.

When I first saw Humphreys, he was 14 years-old, playing for Sheffield Schoolboys against Walsall Schoolboys in the English Schools' Trophy, 20 years ago! :shock:

By the way, it was deffo a penalty when Flinders ran into the back of your striker. God knows what the ref was looking at. :roll:

Well, it was Stuart Attewell, after all - a referee promoted way beyond his level, far too fast and far too soon. He should get back to grass-roots football and learn the job properly - David Ellary's pet! :evil:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Pedagogue wrote:When I first saw Humphreys, he was 14 years-old, playing for Sheffield Schoolboys against Walsall Schoolboys in the English Schools' Trophy, 20 years ago! :shock:

If it's the game I'm thinking of, it was at Blakenall and I did the programme for it - was Dean Keates in that Walsall team?

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:You moronic idiot, we have the 6th best defensive record in the league and we are only one place above the relegation zone :shock:

Ok, one last comment. If you read what I said - the goalkeepers and most of the defenders have had a good season, i.e. Walker/Grof, Butler, Lancashire, Smith and Sadler. If I had said all the defenders then this would have included Beevers, Taundry, Westlake which would have gone against my opinion. Yes we do have a top defensive record, however this doesn't necessarily mean that ALL of the defenders have played well.

Sadler, in my opinion, is good at defending but lets himself down with some of his long ball play. Hence why I said 'mixed' and not great. Mixed can still be good!

I wouldn't say anyone in the squad has excelled this season on a consistent basis. Perhaps you will tell me otherwise.

Also, congratulations for coming back at me with the same insults as I originally dished out to you. If you were capable of coming up with a reasoned and well thought out argument then perhaps you wouldn't be getting so riled :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Sadler is an ace defender, most consistent lad in our team by a country mile, reminds me a lot of Jamie Vincent, never praised much but if he got dropped/injured we'd all be crying out for the lad. Why he's my POTS, so far.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:You moronic idiot, we have the 6th best defensive record in the league and we are only one place above the relegation zone :shock:

Ok, one last comment. If you read what I said - the goalkeepers and most of the defenders have had a good season, i.e. Walker/Grof, Butler, Lancashire, Smith and Sadler. If I had said all the defenders then this would have included Beevers, Taundry, Westlake which would have gone against my opinion. Yes we do have a top defensive record, however this doesn't necessarily mean that ALL of the defenders have played well.

Sadler, in my opinion, is good at defending but lets himself down with some of his long ball play. Hence why I said 'mixed' and not great. Mixed can still be good!

I wouldn't say anyone in the squad has excelled this season on a consistent basis. Perhaps you will tell me otherwise.

Also, congratulations for coming back at me with the same insults as I originally dished out to you. If you were capable of coming up with a reasoned and well thought out argument then perhaps you wouldn't be getting so riled :lol:

Here we go again. The first job and the priority of any full back is to DEFEND. Anything alse they give you is a bonus. Sadler is, technically, our best defender.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Some people lack common sense Neil, like the ones who think Grigg is a good player. Beevers, Taundry and co have been part of our impressive defence all season but thats still not good enough for some people :roll:

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 pm

How dare you be so insulting and controversial about super Jim :shock:
I was a lone voice on here just a few weeks ago (dont dare say i wasnt, and was duly crucified by the clique and their hangers on) who only wanted the best for WFC at the time, playing JW to enable him to break the record was not in the best interests of the club at the time. No good moaning about him now, where were you on my original post ? Where were any of you ?........Splitters... :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

I was a lone voice on here just a few weeks ago (dont dare say i wasnt, and was duly crucified by the clique and their hangers on) who only wanted the best for WFC at the time, playing JW to enable him to break the record was not in the best interests of the time. No good moaning about him now, where were you on my original post ? Where were any of you ?........Splitters... :lol:

I didn't see them mate, if I had, I would have totally agreed with you. I have been Walker's biggest fan, one of the best players I have seen play for Walsall, such a big part of all our success, but sadly he just isn't the same Walker now (understandably) If we didn't have another decent keeper, then fair enough, but Grof seems to be the best we have had since, well erm, Jimmy Walker :D

I have no doubt in my mind we would have extra points on the board if we had gone with Grof all season.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

I was a lone voice on here just a few weeks ago (dont dare say i wasnt, and was duly crucified by the clique and their hangers on) who only wanted the best for WFC at the time, playing JW to enable him to break the record was not in the best interests of the time. No good moaning about him now, where were you on my original post ? Where were any of you ?........Splitters... :lol:

I didn't see them mate, if I had, I would have totally agreed with you. I have been Walker's biggest fan, one of the best players I have seen play for Walsall, such a big part of all our success, but sadly he just isn't the same Walker now (understandably) If we didn't have another decent keeper, then fair enough, but Grof seems to be the best we have had since, well erm, Jimmy Walker :D

I have no doubt in my mind we would have extra points on the board if we had gone with Grof all season.

On that we agree, on all of your post i agree actually.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Just to add my two-pennies worth as a former keeper.

First point; I dont believe we would have any more points than we have now if Grof had played.......granted, Jim had a moment of madness against the Dons but has generally acquitted himself well..........at 39, he may not be as fit or agile but what he now lacks in physique he makes up in bucket loads in positional sense and decision making and he can still keep'em out...!

The young lad Grof.......is a find for sure - where Jim lacks in youth is clearly where Grof chalks up an obvious advantage. Possesses good reflexes, sharp in getting down and his general shot stopping as good as most at this level........ where he needs work, is getting him to boss his area and command the 6-yard box on high balls.......he can sometimes get caught in two minds in 50/50 situations where it needs him to commit and follow through - decision making comes with experience........the more he plays the better he will get. In fairness there is no better time to stick him between the posts when you have a solid back four that will help him through games....

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:39 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Some people lack common sense Neil, like the ones who think Grigg is a good player. Beevers, Taundry and co have been part of our impressive defence all season but thats still not good enough for some people :roll:

Griggs should have been shipped out on loan to a Conference side well before now, he has a confidence problem, that needs rectifying, with a chance of being in a team on a constant basis..and hopefully scoring a few goals in the process, he obviously wasn't that bad to have been considered suitable for International duty (even if it was for Lichtenstien! :lol: :lol: )...and after all he did scorefor us from a volley...once.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Some people lack common sense Neil, like the ones who think Grigg is a good player. Beevers, Taundry and co have been part of our impressive defence all season but thats still not good enough for some people :roll:

Griggs should have been shipped out on loan to a Conference side well before now, he has a confidence problem, that needs rectifying, with a chance of being in a team on a constant basis..and hopefully scoring a few goals in the process, he obviously wasn't that bad to have been considered suitable for International duty (even if it was for Lichtenstien! :lol: :lol: )...and after all he did scorefor us from a volley...once.

I agree totally and should have gone out on loan ages ago............. unfortunately he didnt and playing him in a struggling side where you need someone with experience and presence he has been left floundering....... to be honest Deano has known this all season but I dont think hes had any choice with the likes of senior pro's like Jarvis failing dismally. In a decent side it would be interesting to see how he does, I suspect he will look a different prospect entirely as he's a sniffer rather than a striker that creates his own chances

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

I was a lone voice on here just a few weeks ago (dont dare say i wasnt, and was duly crucified by the clique and their hangers on) who only wanted the best for WFC at the time, playing JW to enable him to break the record was not in the best interests of the club at the time. No good moaning about him now, where were you on my original post ? Where were any of you ?........Splitters... :lol:

The reason people disagreed with your post was because you blamed JW for the goal we conceded at Dagenham.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

The reason people disagreed with your post was because you blamed JW for the goal we conceded at Dagenham.

The Worldy?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

The Worldy?

The very same.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:54 pm

And Grof had a shitter against Bury.

I wouldnt say Walker has lost us points, more that Grof has probably earned us a few instead.

As for Greggs, he looks lost on a football pitch this season, although, for 90 percent of the the time i doubt he had a decent chance on goal.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 pm

latviancheese wrote:And Grof had a shitter against Bury.

I wouldnt say Walker has lost us points, more that Grof has probably earned us a few instead.

He has certainly improved as the season has progressed. Was a big factor in the win at Scunny.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

longdogs wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:When I first saw Humphreys, he was 14 years-old, playing for Sheffield Schoolboys against Walsall Schoolboys in the English Schools' Trophy, 20 years ago! :shock:

If it's the game I'm thinking of, it was at Blakenall and I did the programme for it - was Dean Keates in that Walsall team?

Yup - it was - Deano was - and you did! :D :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:And Grof had a shitter against Bury.

He has certainly improved as the season has progressed. Was a big factor in the win at Scunny.

Ive no doubt, i like the fella. I like him the more i see him, flaps a bit, but thats the modern goalkeeper. I think he has been patient, and taken his chance. I dont think Jim will be start again this season anyway.

He is a shot stopper, for every Huddersfield you will get a Bury, at least it will never be boring :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:54 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:

Here we go again. The first job and the priority of any full back is to DEFEND. Anything alse they give you is a bonus. Sadler is, technically, our best defender.

Really? Well maybe you are right, I think it depends alot on the set up of the team. When you are playing with two "cloggers" in midfield, like we have done most of the season, I would say full backs getting forward is even more important than their defensive duties. Now we have a bit more creativity in midfield (Flo) It isn't so bad, because we don't look like one of those table football games, with players standing in straight lines.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 am

Not bad 'long ball play' by Sadler whilst setting up Macken's goal the other night.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season