Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United ( H) League 1 Tuesday 6/3/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United ( H) League 1 Tuesday 6/3/11.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:my only slight gripes (being a Walsall Fan i cant be totally happy) are the fact that Lancashire still cant win a contested header in defence which is how most of their attacks started (and start in most games he plays), and Paterson flatters to decieve as hes too weak and not quick enough to make up for it.

Completely agree with the assessment of Paterson but can't agree on Lancashire, I'm afraid. I thought he was immense tonight and genuinely think he impressed more than Buter, who admittedly had a tough job on his hands marking Ched Evans.

Despite being ecstatic with that performance and result, I'd still like to think there's room for improvement - but Smith does at least seem to be getting somewhere with his team selection and tactics.

Its not just today, he hardly ever wins a contested header whoever we are playing against. I dont think he is helped by the opposition always putting their 'big' player (Cresswell today) on him as they seem to have noticed this weakness. Looking at the 2nd goal on SKy Sports it also looks like it was Lancashire who switched off although i only saw it once... He reads the game better than Butler but at this level, with the style most teams play, he needs to be stronger in the air. I'm always torn between whether he should play Lancashire or Manny as Lancashire ads a bit of calm by reading the game and having some composure, where as Manny is our best 'defender' when he isnt having a complete lack of concentration.

I also think Lancashire and Grof have played a subtle, but important part in our improved style of play over recent weeks. It hasn't gone un-noticed that Groi is actually quite good with the ball at his feet, and Lancashire often drops deep to receive the ball from him. It's absolutely no coincidence that we've not looked back since Smith was replaced at half time at Oldham.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:It's absolutely no coincidence that we've not looked back since Smith was replaced at half time at Oldham.

Definately.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:14 pm

bangsection wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Have midfield, will pass.

Shurely shome mishtake? The Sheffield Telegraph informs me that we have "a surface better suited to growing potatoes than piecing together slick passing moves" so how could we have played a passing game last night? Also, in their match ratings only one of our players gets more than a 6. So I'm taking these reports that we played well with a pinch of salt.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/spo ... -1-4317631

I love beating "mossiv" teams! :mrgreen:

He gave Flo a 5 :shock: Inbred lady-garden xxx

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Grof is actually quite good with the ball at his feet, and Lancashire often drops deep to receive the ball from him.

Totally agree, and that was one of the reasons I didn't want to be too critical on Saturday. I love a team that tries to play the ball from the back rather than the keeper hoofing it long, it draws out the opposition midfield and creates more space.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice and full.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 am

He should concentrate on coming up with a song or two before he starts taking pictures.

Why do these so called bigclubs care so much when they lose about how many home fans turned up? Who the fudge are Sheff Utd anyway?

Sour grapes or what. Dire club.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 am

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:34 am

:lol: I like how you wait another few minutes to calm down and then whack up the glorious highlights.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 am

Darth Vader wrote::lol: I like how you wait another few minutes to calm down and then whack up the glorious highlights.

Yorkshire/Lancashire weird freaks do my nut in. They also make shite beer.

I mean is there a place on earth with a larger set of moronic inbred football clubs?

The Sheffield teams are both a bunch of sad acts who appear to have no life, at least Wednesday made some noise, and provided great entertainment much like going to the zoo.

Leeds are Leeds. Who the hell are Huddersfield? Have you ever heard someone talk from Barnsley? Its pretty embarrasing. Hull cant play football, they play in stupid stadium used for Rugby.

Rotherham - bomb it. Ive seen fancier sewers.

Just bulldoze that whole part of the country, no one cares about it, save the lovely hills for holidays. Or even better, sell the organs of people from that part of the world and give them to people who need them.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 am

latviancheese wrote:
Darth Vader wrote::lol: I like how you wait another few minutes to calm down and then whack up the glorious highlights.

Yorkshire/Lancashire weird freaks do my nut in. They also make guano beer.

I mean is there a place on earth with a larger set of moronic inbred football clubs?

The Sheffield teams are both a bunch of sad acts who appear to have no life, at least Wednesday made some noise, and provided great entertainment much like going to the zoo.

Leeds are Leeds. Who the hell are Huddersfield? Have you ever heard someone talk from Barnsley? Its pretty embarrasing. Hull cant play football, they play in stupid stadium used for Rugby.

Just bulldoze that whole part of the country, no one cares about it, save the lovely hills for holidays. Or even better, sell the organs of people from that part of the world and give them to people who need them.

Post of the year. :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sheffield United ( H) League 1 Tuesday 6/3/11.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 am

I support the carpet bombing of all backward northern people. I'll save Bangsection, Jorge14 and if he plays his cards right, PT.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:48 am

latviancheese wrote:I mean is there a place on earth with a larger set of moronic inbred football clubs?

Maybe not in terms of number of clubs, but in terms of places with mornic inbred football clubs, Glasgow would run it very close.

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I support the carpet bombing of all backward northern people. I'll save Bangsection, Jorge14 and if he plays his cards right, PT.

Nice one. Can you PM details of my nearest shelter? Is the wife allowed in? Don't forget that she's an unrepentant Scouseist!

In all seriousness, the North is brilliant. Apart from the Lake District which I have always considered rather overrated.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

bangsection wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I support the carpet bombing of all backward northern people. I'll save Bangsection, Jorge14 and if he plays his cards right, PT.

Nice one. Can you PM details of my nearest shelter? Is the wife allowed in? Don't forget that she's an unrepentant Scouseist!

In all seriousness, the North is brilliant. Apart from the Lake District which I have always considered rather overrated.

Travelling north to away games, is always more pleasant than south in my experience (which is pretty big as it goes) Cheaper, and better beer, better pubs, more down to earth people, that don't have 6 fingers on each hand etc etc. + It often involves a trip to sandbach on the way back, which is always pleasant.

Scousers are okay, not sure about the purple wheelie bins, with the house painted the same colour to match, or the fact you sometimes get a bit of spit directed at you, when they talk to you, but the Scousers I have met have all been real genuiune people, that live for their family (and football team) I must have just avoided the scallies well I guess.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 am

If it's spit you're after when people talk to you, come and live in South Wales........"Llanelli" alone requires a hand towel. :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:45 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:If it's spit you're after when people talk to you, come and live in South Wales........"Llanelli" alone requires a hand towel. :D

No thanks, I try and forget Wales exists to be honest. Lovely place (away from the cities) horrible people. Apart from Saddlers exports obviously :wink:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Yeah, fudge Ancient Moaner. :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:49 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:... but in terms of places with moronic inbred football clubs, Glasgow would run it very close.

How dare you speak about Partick Thistle and Queens Park like that! :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Travelling north to away games, is always more pleasant than south in my experience

Dont get me started on people down sarf. :D

'ANDBAWL!

Worsul
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Nice and full.

What is your point? We can all look at the attendance figure to see the crowd. Did you think we all thought it was a sell-out?

Also the picture is clearly taken before kick-off before everyone will have sat down. I know I was still in the pie queue at this point (some things are more important than footy)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Looking at the BBC highlights (brief though they always are), one or two things struck me:

1. If Sam Mantom only signed on the Tuesday afternoon, and the corner kick routine was only practiced at the training ground that same day, it says a lot for the lad's skill and application that managed to do what he did. Hats off to him.

2. With all the talk about Jon Macken's legs beginning to give up on him, I was a bit concerned when he was in the starting eleven. But you look at the way he ran and harried in order to score his goal (second half) - he looked a bit pleased!!!

3. Lovely header from Alex for the winner, but on the way back to the half-way line for the re-start he seemed to be brushing aside any congratulatory hugs, and really didn't look as jubilant as I would have expected. Does he have other problems I wonder? (apart from running out of fuel on the M6 :oops: )

Looking forward to the Hartlepool game - I shall be there early, before the Balti pies run out........

SWS1

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:It's absolutely no coincidence that we've not looked back since Smith was replaced at half time at Oldham.

Definately.

Definitely! :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 am

SWS1 wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Definately.

Definitely! :D

Defeenarteley. ;)

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 am

Northerners are so much more nicer than those ignorant southerners. Anyone or thinks different, is an idiot ;-)

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 am

swiftyboy wrote:

Northerners are so much more nicer than those ignorant southerners. Anyone or thinks different, is an idiot ;-)

Why the argument on this? Both are far inferior to Midlanders.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:44 am

Exile wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Why the argument on this? Both are far inferior to Midlanders.

True. Although I thought the argument was restricted purely to tbe North and South divide. People from both know that Midlanders are far superior, hence why there is never an argument questioning Central dwellers

SWS1

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:06 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Looking at the BBC highlights (brief though they always are), one or two things struck me:

1. If Sam Mantom only signed on the Tuesday afternoon, and the corner kick routine was only practiced at the training ground that same day, it says a lot for the lad's skill and application that managed to do what he did. Hats off to him.

2. With all the talk about Jon Macken's legs beginning to give up on him, I was a bit concerned when he was in the starting eleven. But you look at the way he ran and harried in order to score his goal (second half) - he looked a bit pleased!!!

3. Lovely header from Alex for the winner, but on the way back to the half-way line for the re-start he seemed to be brushing aside any congratulatory hugs, and really didn't look as jubilant as I would have expected. Does he have other problems I wonder? (apart from running out of fuel on the M6 :oops: )

Looking forward to the Hartlepool game - I shall be there early, before the Balti pies run out........

Take care, Welshie. My bro had a terrible case of the galloping pony-and-traps after a recent Bescot balti. [Suspiciously, his Aztec Two-Step, Bescot Balti-Bane or Montezuma's Revenge (take your pick) followed the relatively recent two-week layoff]. :shock:
You have been warned!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54 pm

latviancheese wrote:

Yorkshire/Lancashire weird freaks do my nut in. They also make guano beer.

Latvian, there's a job gewin up here for someone to oversee the "Visit Lancashire & Yorkshire" campaign! yew would WALK into the post mate!! :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

Yeah, **** Ancient Moaner. :D

Thanks Darth, have I offendeth thee? (Presuming that the asterisks didn't mean something quite pleasant that is!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Worsul wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Nice and full.

What is your point? We can all look at the attendance figure to see the crowd. Did you think we all thought it was a sell-out?

Also the picture is clearly taken before kick-off before everyone will have sat down. I know I was still in the pie queue at this point (some things are more important than footy)

:lol: Calm down lad, I was only having a cheeky pop at our own beloved club, that amount of empty seats depresses me and makes us look like a right laughing stock in all honesty, we should be getting more for the size of our town, ect, ect, but that's another matter.

Sorry for deeply offending you anyways xx.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season