Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United ( H) League 1 Tuesday 6/3/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United ( H) League 1 Tuesday 6/3/11.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Love it, fudge love it.

Great, great second half, noise was quality, celebrations were mental, couldn't ask for more on a Tuesday night.

fudge me I need a lie down. :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Superb (and if I'm honest, unexpected) result. I can see a Manager of the month award coming Deano's way at this rate - I may be able to wangle a pass to see us against Hartlepool on Saturday, fingers crossed.

On the "time added on" question.....Pedagogue knows all about the amount of time referees are instructed to add - bear in mind there were five substitutions during the second half, as well as the five goals. I know that substitutions attract a fixed "add-on" time but I'm not sure about goals and the ensuing celebrations. I wasn't at the game, so haven't any idea about any injuries (Taundry was in the first half).

Nice of Saarland to hold his hands up on the question of "Smith out" - can we expect a similar reaction from Sheff? I doubt it, somehow..... :wink:

O'Kelly OUT - Smith STAY

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:6 mins injury time

I hadn't realised we were playing Manchester United.

My nomination for post of the season :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Comments from contributors who attended the game are consistent in their praise for our performance in the second half, and how we actually played good football even against the side that are 2nd in the table. We apparently played them at their own game and came out on top.

Could this be a sign that a degree of confidence is spreading through the team? I only put this forward because of my observations when we beat Wycombe a few weeks back. Until Hurst scored that opening (and wind-assisted?) goal it really didn't look as though we were going to score between then and Christmas next year, but having gone ahead we appeared to turn a tap, and the flowing football was there for all to see. We passed the ball (to a red shirt) and parts of that second half became almost like a training session, where the ball is passed between players, first touch, with nobody from the other side getting a look in. Triangle formations, movement off the ball, I remember one particular move down our right flank when we put together 15 passes (15!!!!!!!!!) before a tackle was successful and it went out for a throw-in.

Confidence breeds confidence - if I don't make it to Hartlepool I will certainly be at Yeovil (who had one man sent off tonight, despite winning at MK Dongs).

UTS :D

SWS1

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:I also think we will win in a rather amusing style.

3-2 win. Score teh winner in the last five minutes. Another bunch of yorkshire inbred fudge to kick off, ensue utter laughter.

How on earth did you know, Cheesey? :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:We'll send the Blades down.

2-1. Epic night of football.

I got the score wrong, but it was indeed an epic night of football.

I thought Macken was pretty poor the first half, but second half he rolled back the years. When the ball was put through for his goal, my words was "he aint gonna get that" seemed to get a turbo charge from somewhere. Cool finish too. He seemed to drop very deep after this, and just sat there picking out passes, pure class. When he plays well, we don't half look a better side.

Had we played this game a month back with Chambers and Taundry as our center mids, we would have got dicked, without question, now all of a sudden we look a useful side, played some tidy football. Special mention for Nicholls, what a header!

oh and christ, Evans for Sheff United has got one hell of a shot on him!

Super Saddlers.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:50 pm

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!

barclays revenge! :!:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!

barclays revenge! :!:

Thunder barclays would be better!

Apodidae
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Just back home.

Not enjoyed a Walsall match so much for a long long time.

We scored three great goals - not lucky goals or deflections - great goals

We only gave them two chances to score - and they did because they can clearly finish given a chance. We defended and did not give them the chances to score more.

We passed the ball about very well - and did this throughout the match, not just for a few spells during a match.

No bias, no luck, no problem with the officials - we won because on the night we were the better side over 97 minutes.

We played like a team and the players played as if they are proud to wear the shirt!

Tonight was like the olden days and it was blooming brilliant to be there

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Took my old man as an Xmas present against Wendy, was his Birthday pressie tonight!

He's wondering what all the fuss is about at Walsall!

Another decent atmosphere another good performance, quite what happened in the second half is beyond me, we looked like a different side going forward. Again, nice to beat a 'big club' that has an old school manager in charge that loves to hoof the ball in to the channels. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
oh and christ, Evans for Sheff United has got one hell of a shot on him!

He's the only reason they could have got something tonight.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 pm

After a forgetful, pedestrian first half the second half burst into life.

Three lovely goals. Macken's by far the best of the bunch. Latvian said if you can't see what Macken brings to the team it's time to take up knitting. I'd go further and say stick the needles in your eyes because if you can't see that bloke is class then your eyes are cack anyway.

Gotta admit, both times Utd equalised I feared they would take control and dominate the game. Oh ye of little faith tinned. What backbone, what balls. For once I'm so proud of all of them.

I effing feel like I've played not watched :D

Oh arr, and 6 minutes????? Where did you get that from, tosser? Looking for a lift home to Chesterfield or somewhere?

UTS

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm

What a second half performance! Nights like tonight are what being a Saddler is all about. They may be pretty rare but that makes them all the sweeter.

3 points again on saturday --probably a little too much to ask for. All the same tonight was fantastic.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:22 pm

I'll also openly admit that Smith is winning me over (for the second time) after our recent performances, and that was the icing on the cake. What impressed me most was our bravery, which stemmed from the manager in playing two 19 year olds and a 20 year old debutant across the midfield - they all stood up to be counted tonight.

Macken led the line absolutely superbly and he and Bowerman proved why they need to be our first choice pairing up front. Bowerman chased a lost cause to win the corner which created our superb first goal, whilst Macken's persistence got him our second goal. I'm not arguing that either are world beaters, but as a pairing they just seem to click better than any other options we have.

I thought Lancashire was the pick of the defence tonight and looked immense in the most part. Butler certainly met his match in Evans and I don't think he coped all too well, but as a defensive unit, we were able to soak up much of what Sheffield United threw at us towards the end. Sadler is Sadler - a class act. What a cross for that winning goal.

I'm not convinced we've got things quite right in midfield as we create next to nothing from wide positions. For me, Paterson should be sacrificed for Chambers (when fit), which will then free up Cuvelier to work his magic higher up the pitch. If there's one reluctant criticism tonight, it's that Paterson was weak and wasteful with the ball before a knock forced him off. Whilst Cuvelier looks a class act wherever he plays, I think he could seriously damage teams if we give him more of a free role.

We need to follow this result up by putting Hartlepool to the sword on Saturday. A repeat of last season's fixture will do for me. :D

PS. Who needs Boateng & Nouble anyway.

Apodidae
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 pm

There was also a classic Bescot/Banks's moment tonight:

I think it was just after we had let the first in and were understandably looking a bit down.

The stadium was completely silent.

A lone voice from the home end shouted "Show some f&@king metal!!!"

... And they did :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 pm

tinned wrote:After a forgetful, pedestrian first half the second half burst into life.

Three lovely goals. Macken's by far the best of the bunch. Latvian said if you can't see what Macken brings to the team it's time to take up knitting. I'd go further and say stick the needles in your eyes because if you can't see that bloke is class then your eyes are cack anyway.

Gotta admit, both times Utd equalised I feared they would take control and dominate the game. Oh ye of little faith tinned. What backbone, what balls. For once I'm so proud of all of them.

I effing feel like I've played not watched :D

Oh arr, and 6 minutes????? Where did you get that from, tosser? Looking for a lift home to Chesterfield or somewhere?

UTS

Have to agree with you for a change. Smith in, till the weekend at least.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 pm

i could have sworn i was just at Bescot but not according to the BBC, they say i was in Sheffield... i presume they were at a different game, E&S style reporting:

'Walsall moved out of the relegation zone with a shock victory at promotion-chasing Sheffield United.

Sam Mantom, signed on loan from West Brom earlier in the day, put the Saddlers ahead with a first-time shot.

The Blades levelled when Lee Williamson latched on to a Ched Evans pass but Jon Macken's cross-shot made it 2-1.

Evans sprinted through the home defence and calmly finished for 2-2 but substitute Alex Nicholls won it late on, heading in from Mat Sadler's cross.

as for the actual game it was fantastic, my only slight gripes (being a Walsall Fan i cant be totally happy) are the fact that Lancashire still cant win a contested header in defence which is how most of their attacks started (and start in most games he plays), and Paterson flatters to decieve as hes too weak and not quick enough to make up for it. Hopefully Smith will now see what having two CM who can pass and are comfortable on the ball can do to the team and prepare us more adequately for next season, which on todays performance will be in L1!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:my only slight gripes (being a Walsall Fan i cant be totally happy) are the fact that Lancashire still cant win a contested header in defence which is how most of their attacks started (and start in most games he plays), and Paterson flatters to decieve as hes too weak and not quick enough to make up for it.

Completely agree with the assessment of Paterson but can't agree on Lancashire, I'm afraid. I thought he was immense tonight and genuinely think he impressed more than Buter, who admittedly had a tough job on his hands marking Ched Evans.

Despite being ecstatic with that performance and result, I'd still like to think there's room for improvement - but Smith does at least seem to be getting somewhere with his team selection and tactics.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:my only slight gripes (being a Walsall Fan i cant be totally happy) are the fact that Lancashire still cant win a contested header in defence which is how most of their attacks started (and start in most games he plays), and Paterson flatters to decieve as hes too weak and not quick enough to make up for it.

Completely agree with the assessment of Paterson but can't agree on Lancashire, I'm afraid. I thought he was immense tonight and genuinely think he impressed more than Buter, who admittedly had a tough job on his hands marking Ched Evans.

Despite being ecstatic with that performance and result, I'd still like to think there's room for improvement - but Smith does at least seem to be getting somewhere with his team selection and tactics.

Its not just today, he hardly ever wins a contested header whoever we are playing against. I dont think he is helped by the opposition always putting their 'big' player (Cresswell today) on him as they seem to have noticed this weakness. Looking at the 2nd goal on SKy Sports it also looks like it was Lancashire who switched off although i only saw it once... He reads the game better than Butler but at this level, with the style most teams play, he needs to be stronger in the air. I'm always torn between whether he should play Lancashire or Manny as Lancashire ads a bit of calm by reading the game and having some composure, where as Manny is our best 'defender' when he isnt having a complete lack of concentration.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

Agree on Dean Smith looking like he is learning on the job though, long may it continue!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 am

Have midfield, will pass. Shame it requires two Premier League loanees for that to happen but we're blimmin brilliant now we've got em. Same again Saturday please gents.

Sheff U were dire. So they've got no defenders? who cares, that didn't explain their lack of midfield. Without Ched Evans they'd be nowhere, on the basis of that performance.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 am

Havent enjoyed being at a Match so much since we beat the other Sheffield lot on Boxing Day - City of Steel, no we were tonight.
The second half was amazing and the game was the proverbial rollercoaster but what resillence and backbone the team showed.
Can see the difference in their confidence, lovely passing moves and we deserved the win.
Macken to quote Merscum was a 'different clarss' - what a game he had - showed all his guile and experience,deserved MOTM.
Still buzzing this Morning - and can go to Work v proud to be a Saddler :)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 am

LancsSaddler wrote:'Walsall moved out of the relegation zone with a shock victory at promotion-chasing Sheffield United.

Boycott the BBC!!!!

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 am

I weren't that far out with the attendance Darth Vadar and Ancient Moaner :wink:

Brilliant performance. A few weeks ago to go one up and then concede i think would have normally led the opposition to get a winner but we kept ongoing and despite going ahead again and again being pegged back, the lads didn't give up: a proper committed Walsall performance.

Macken really come good in the second half: holding up the ball, distributing it well and of course his goal. Thought we defended well as a team unit albeit don't know how Evans found that much space for his second.

Pleased to see Bowerman get a start: nearly had a second for us straight after the first with a low snap shot and should have done better when had a chance just before our second but the lad has a bit of raw talent, will try something that others won't.

Oh and an Alex Nicholls header?? :shock:

SWS1

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 am

Cheesebag wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:'Walsall moved out of the relegation zone with a shock victory at promotion-chasing Sheffield United.

Boycott the BBC!!!!

Oh, come now, they just got one word wrong: "at" should have read "over" or "against".
It's easy to do when your (sic) posting copy vry quickly!
:wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 am

SWS1 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

Boycott the BBC!!!!

Oh, come now, they just got one word wrong: "at" should have read "over" or "against".
It's easy to do when your (sic) posting copy vry quickly!
:wink:

Don't suppose you also happen to write for the E&S, do you?! :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 am

Registered Saddler wrote:Have midfield, will pass.

Shurely shome mishtake? The Sheffield Telegraph informs me that we have "a surface better suited to growing potatoes than piecing together slick passing moves" so how could we have played a passing game last night? Also, in their match ratings only one of our players gets more than a 6. So I'm taking these reports that we played well with a pinch of salt.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/spo ... -1-4317631

I love beating "mossiv" teams! :mrgreen:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 am

bangsection wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Have midfield, will pass.

Shurely shome mishtake? The Sheffield Telegraph informs me that we have "a surface better suited to growing potatoes than piecing together slick passing moves" so how could we have played a passing game last night? Also, in their match ratings only one of our players gets more than a 6. So I'm taking these reports that we played well with a pinch of salt.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/spo ... -1-4317631

I love beating "mossiv" teams! :mrgreen:

To be fair the pitch looked the best it has, at this stage of the season, for years!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 am

How would Sheff UTD know if you can pass on it or not :lol: :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Absolutely magnificent effort . reminds me of the Charlton result that kept us up last year .

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season