Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Sheffield United 27/2/12

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Sheffield United 27/2/12

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Saddlers 0-1 Blades

Walsall (4-2-1-3)
Liam Maher

Ben George
Manny Smith
Jamie Tank
Malvind Benning (Kieron Morris, 76 mins.)

Reece Flanagan (Mitchell Botfield, 70 mins.)
Lee Beevers

Ryan Jarvis

Jake Jones
George Bowerman
Connor Deards (Joey Butlin, 45 mins.)

Unused substitutes:-
Aaron Williams
Liam Roberts (gk)

Manager:- Richard O'Kelly

Goal was scored in the 23rd minute - a cracking shot by Shane Murray but which should not have been allowed as the referee ignored a blatant foul by the Blades in the build-up to it.

Match blog:-
http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 21,00.html

Club's summary:-
http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 34,00.html

The opposition point-of-view:-
http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/ReservesRepo ... 91,00.html

A disappointing game, lacking in any enthusiasm and passion. Of the first team squad regulars, Manny Smith played quite well but Beevers was anonymous and Jarvis was ... well, Jarvis! Bowerman never really got a sniff at goal while Tank (love that name!) was the pick of the youngsters.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v. Sheffield United 27/2/12

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks Ped, the official summary sounds more positive than yours!

Did anyone sing "we sent the Blades down?" :D
Agree on Tank, surely he deserves a place in first team for that name alone, the possibilities for songs are endless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSgkAWDtyd8

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I went to the game too - certainly not one for the purists!

That was the first reserve game I've been to for a few years so I'm not too familiar with some of our younger players, but notable mentions for the following:

Liam Maher in goal - let's just say it's a good job Grof and Walker keep us comfortable between the sticks in the main. Maher looked desperately unsure of himself, although there was nothing he could do about the goal.
The two centre halves looked ok - weren't really ever stretched.
I thought Benning looked comfortable at left back, reads the game very well and makes himself available to receive the ball well. Looks for the glory 60-yard crossfield ball far too often though.
Lee Beevers - absolutely awful in the middle of midfield. Was given the run around by his opposite number, Matty Harriott, who looked a quality player. Only 20, but looked a class above anyone else on the pitch.
Jarvis and Bowerman didn't do a great deal, but as has been typical of the first team for periods of this season, they were feeding off scraps.

Sheffield United didn't by any means batter us, but they did look like they had much more about them and tried to play the ball through midfield. We looked for the long ball far too often and gave the ball away far too easily.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I went to the game too - certainly not one for the purists!

That was the first reserve game I've been to for a few years so I'm not too familiar with some of our younger players, but notable mentions for the following:

Liam Maher in goal - let's just say it's a good job Grof and Walker keep us comfortable between the sticks in the main. Maher looked desperately unsure of himself, although there was nothing he could do about the goal.
The two centre halves looked ok - weren't really ever stretched.
I thought Benning looked comfortable at left back, reads the game very well and makes himself available to receive the ball well. Looks for the glory 60-yard crossfield ball far too often though.
Lee Beevers - absolutely awful in the middle of midfield. Was given the run around by his opposite number, Matty Harriott, who looked a quality player. Only 20, but looked a class above anyone else on the pitch.
Jaris and Bowerman didn't do a great deal, but as has been typical of the first team for periods of this season, they were feeding off scraps.

Sheffield United didn't by any means batter us, but they did look like they had much more about them and tried to play the ball through midfield. We looked for the long ball far too often and gave the ball away far too easily.

One of the conundrums of the season. Deano always talks about good football (and occasionally we actually play it) and O'Kelly has always been associated with good footballing teams. With a squad of limited quality confidence is more important than ever.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Well the real team out footballed the other team. Thats all that matters.

Return to 2011-12 Season