Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) League 1 Tuesday 21/2/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Cuzo24
Glitterati

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) League 1 Tuesday 21/2/12.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Apodidae wrote:
Cuzo24 wrote:a win in all the remaining fixtures would put us on 71 points, enough to make the play-offs 4 times out of the last 5 seasons :wink:

Care to enter the Count:Down competition on the All About Walsall thread ?

Have done mate

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Well that was a welcome, and on balance a deserved 3 points.

Although there were times when it was back to the wall defending, there was also plenty to be happy about - our possession and control (apart from a few occasions when we reverted to headless chicken mode).

An indication of our performance was the fact that their keeper won the sponsors MOM.

Our keeper also had a cracking game and I reckon that barring injury or suspension, we have seen the last of Jimmy in goal. The five minute spell midway through the second half which included a cracking save to his left, merited my vote for our MOM.

Other mentions go to:

Taundry - much better at full back than in midfield
Paterson - looked a step above this level at times, especially in the first half
Butler - Immense against a beast of a centre forward who brought back memories of Bernie Wright.
Cuvalier - class
Lancashire - supported Butler and kept calm under pressure
Macken - made the difference when he came on as we should really have wrapped the game up in the last 15 minutes
Me - I almost managed to knock their scoreboard off it's hinges throwing the ball back to Grof :D

Overall, chuffed to bollocks with that. If by some miracle the Bonemeister reads this, FFS give Smith a few quid to bring in another two decent loanees to give us a fighting chance.

Note to Bangsection: I made it to the Berkeley, I assume you must have been in another room. I ended up having a beer with a few of Scunthorpe finest :D Next time, eh.
Last edited by chestersaddler on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gray
Glitterati

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote: Me - I almost managed to knock their scoreboard off it's hinges throwing the ball back to Grof :D .

That was a great shot, loved the chant that followed it as well.

I'm really pleased with the performances, I think a lot of the players put in excellent performances. Grof was excellent and so were the back 4 in front of him, in particular Taundry was brilliant. Cuveliar looks a brilliant prospect. Macken worked his socks off and was great when he came on.

I wouldn't change anything for Saturday apart from swapping Nicholls for either Macken or Bowerman.

Well done to the Saddlers who made the journey!

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 am

Enjoyed that. Proper backs-to-the-walls 0-1 away win. Smith has (rightly) taken some stick for wasting money on signings (both loan and permanent) this season so it's only fair we give him and the team praise for unearthing Cuvelier. The kid looks like a real talent and it's so refreshing to have someone bursting through the middle to create chances. He should have had two tonight - played in near the end with only the keeper to beat the ball got caught under his feet allowing a Scunny defender to get back and pressure him into a weak shot. But what a fantastic run and finish for the first. He's what you dream of - an attacking midfielder who isn't afraid to do the hard yards as well as the flashy stuff. Thought Chambers complemented him well tonight - probably one of his best games for the club. Taundry deserves a mention too - probably the pick of our back four, he had an excellent game.

Grof was superb. Tremendous shot stopping, (mostly) good kicking and strong when put under pressure at corners. Don't think there's any doubt now that we've found Jimmy's heir.

Frustrating second half in that a lot of the action took place down the other end but I'm not sure my ticker could have taken the penalty area pinball up close! It was hearts-in-mouths stuff as Scunny pumped balls in to 'The Beast' who lived up to his name tonight, largely due to a ferocious battle with Andy Butler. You could see what it meant to our skipper when he came over to the faithful at the end - snarling and fist pumping like it meant the world to him. No wonder the Iron fans were singing his name at one point - for all his limitations (he's actually not far off Ian Roper in his inability to pass a ball) he's a classic lower league battler and he'll play a big part in our survival chances.

Finally, what makes tonight's win all the more notable was the fact that we played the majority of the game with no forwards. Grigg and Nicholls were poor again. Jon Macken's introduction was like a lovely cuddle - suddenly the ball stuck up front and his intelligence made us look twice the attacking threat. In a way, Smith's decision to leave him on the bench was vindicated tonight - we won and he only played half an hour. But if his legs will last he has to start as many games as possible - barring any more loan moves Macken and Cuvelier will be key to survival this season, I'm convinced of that.

Chester - apologies. After an incident involving otherbournemouthsaddler's golden coconuts and British Transport Police at York station we were unavoidably delayed and only arrived in time for a quick pint at the ground. Mind you, his missus wore his lucky pants on her head (at home, I hasten to add) for the whole of the match so his part in our win must not be underestimated.

See you at Sheffield Wednesday? :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:40 am

Apodidae wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:NOOOOOOOO! :x

Bloose have won :wink:

Back to tattoos - "Season Defining" would be a great penile tattoo. How much to we need to collect for charity so you do it? :D

"Season Defining" whilst aroused perhaps. "Seaso-ning" when flacid.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:03 am

Pleased for Taundry. As a kid, he looked a reasonable prospect at right back. Then some bright spark told him he was a proper footballer and it all went wrong from there.

His decision-making is poor, but his tackling and energy levels are good. At right back, he has fewer options to pass to and fewer spaces to move to. That means he's less likely to make the wrong choices and lose possession and/or leave us exposed.

Note to Smith: It is allowable to drop Taundry, but if you must play him, do so at right back - like some of us have been saying all along (not Phil).

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:40 am

hullsaddler wrote:Excellent result.
In the first half we looked really solid at the back & apart from one excellent save from David Grof we weren't really troubled. Up until the goal we did not seem to have much idea going forward , but Cuvelier took his chance really well ( a more difficult one than the one he missed right at the end).
A combination of stout defending, an excellent performance by David Grof & a helping hand from Lady Luck ( It was not easy to see but they did seem to miss several gilt edged chances). Thought Macken improved the forward line when he came on & would have liked to have seen Barrowman on for Grigg.
All in all a battling performance which if we can keep repeating in future games then we are capable of saving ourselves.

Oh & if Scunthorpe beat Orient 3-1 we ought to go to Brisbane Road with some confidence.

Thanks for the report - very encouraging, but who is this Barrowman of whom you speak? :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Excellent result.
In the first half we looked really solid at the back & apart from one excellent save from David Grof we weren't really troubled. Up until the goal we did not seem to have much idea going forward , but Cuvelier took his chance really well ( a more difficult one than the one he missed right at the end).
A combination of stout defending, an excellent performance by David Grof & a helping hand from Lady Luck ( It was not easy to see but they did seem to miss several gilt edged chances). Thought Macken improved the forward line when he came on & would have liked to have seen Barrowman on for Grigg.
All in all a battling performance which if we can keep repeating in future games then we are capable of saving ourselves.

Oh & if Scunthorpe beat Orient 3-1 we ought to go to Brisbane Road with some confidence.

Thanks for the report - very encouraging, but who is this Barrowman of whom you speak? :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Yes. I had been talking about him to a friend during the game so in the excitement of getting 3 points, my brain was obviously still addled when I got back here !

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 am

Apodidae wrote:0-1 to the Saddlers

Traffic chaos getting out of the carpark as someone has stolen all four wheels from a white X3 with personal number plates

Still bitter about being overtaken on the M6 sliproad? :D

Anyway.... good solid display, cut open a couple of times but back in numbers to cover. Grof was superb, two low stops and a full stretch save but to mention a few.

Patterson great fiest half and actually passed a coouple of times. Flo again first half was class. ran out of steam second half. Evident with a one on one with the keeper late on that he really should have put away.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 am

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,,10428~2619313,00.html

the Official Site wrote:Saddlers boss Dean Smith was a happy man after seeing his side win for the second match in a row courtesy of a 2-0 victory at Scunthorpe United

Where was this mystery second goal of which they speak? Is someone getting carried away?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 am

Away goals count double.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 am

They've changed it now

Lone Striker

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 pm

bangsection wrote:Enjoyed that. Proper backs-to-the-walls 0-1 away win. Smith has (rightly) taken some stick for wasting money on signings (both loan and permanent) this season so it's only fair we give him and the team praise for unearthing Cuvelier. The kid looks like a real talent and it's so refreshing to have someone bursting through the middle to create chances. He should have had two tonight - played in near the end with only the keeper to beat the ball got caught under his feet allowing a Scunny defender to get back and pressure him into a weak shot. But what a fantastic run and finish for the first. He's what you dream of - an attacking midfielder who isn't afraid to do the hard yards as well as the flashy stuff. Thought Chambers complemented him well tonight - probably one of his best games for the club. Taundry deserves a mention too - probably the pick of our back four, he had an excellent game.

Grof was superb. Tremendous shot stopping, (mostly) good kicking and strong when put under pressure at corners. Don't think there's any doubt now that we've found Jimmy's heir.

Frustrating second half in that a lot of the action took place down the other end but I'm not sure my ticker could have taken the penalty area pinball up close! It was hearts-in-mouths stuff as Scunny pumped balls in to 'The Beast' who lived up to his name tonight, largely due to a ferocious battle with Andy Butler. You could see what it meant to our skipper when he came over to the faithful at the end - snarling and fist pumping like it meant the world to him. No wonder the Iron fans were singing his name at one point - for all his limitations (he's actually not far off Ian Roper in his inability to pass a ball) he's a classic lower league battler and he'll play a big part in our survival chances.

Finally, what makes tonight's win all the more notable was the fact that we played the majority of the game with no forwards. Grigg and Nicholls were poor again. Jon Macken's introduction was like a lovely cuddle - suddenly the ball stuck up front and his intelligence made us look twice the attacking threat. In a way, Smith's decision to leave him on the bench was vindicated tonight - we won and he only played half an hour. But if his legs will last he has to start as many games as possible - barring any more loan moves Macken and Cuvelier will be key to survival this season, I'm convinced of that.

Chester - apologies. After an incident involving otherbournemouthsaddler's golden coconuts and British Transport Police at York station we were unavoidably delayed and only arrived in time for a quick pint at the ground. Mind you, his missus wore his lucky pants on her head (at home, I hasten to add) for the whole of the match so his part in our win must not be underestimated.

See you at Sheffield Wednesday? :D

Agree with the above, almost the complete away performance based on good goalkeeping, a solid defence, a goal on the break and some lady luck which all teams in our position never seem to get. The battle between Parkin and Butler was as physical as it gets, there game plan of getting the ball into him and playing off was there main tactic but Butler and Lancashire stood up to the challenge and he just got more physical and frustrated as the game went on, I would have to say Parkin did tread a fine line in the second half after his first half booking and on another day would have seen red.

Mention for two players who have had their share of criticism, Taundry and Chambers. Thought Taundry gave an assured performance at full back, defending well and making correct decisions when required, and in possession looking to keep it simple. Never doubted his commitment and effort but not a midfield player for me, playing him at full back also allows Chambers to do what he is good at and in the last two games he has started to show something of what I expected from him at the start of the season giving us a stronger and holding presence in the middle of the pitch, this then allows Cuvelier the freedom to get forward and past the strikers something that has been lacking all season.

Encouraging signs but the key now is to keep it going.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 pm

The fact that Chambers apparently played most of last night's game with a badly gashed ankle that may keep him out of Saturday's match is pretty impressive. He didn't shy away from a challenge all night. On that form he'll be sorely missed if he's out for any length of time.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:35 pm

What ever the rights and wrongs of Twittergate it seems to have had a fortunate effect :mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm

bangsection wrote:The fact that Chambers apparently played most of last night's game with a badly gashed ankle that may keep him out of Saturday's match is pretty impressive. He didn't shy away from a challenge all night. On that form he'll be sorely missed if he's out for any length of time.

He only played because his brother was there :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Too tired and excited to report last night when I got home. agree with everyone above, a fantastic night of fight ,grit and determination....just what we have been asking for for so long recently.
Butler's clenched fist salute to all of us faithfull last night at the final whistle just shows that the comitment is there.
Flo is UTTER class, way above 3rd Division level, and now that he has agreed to stay on to the end of the season (great!)
we now have a REAL chance at avoiding the dreaded drop.
In Grof we have a new super star, he was tremendous all night...methinks we will find it hard to hold on to him if any scouts have been watching (kerching!£££..Bonser mode).
Taundry has deffo found his vocation, he was so much 'in form' last night, that his spot in defence has been secured.
Chambers was also immense last night, and Butlers 'running battle' with the brick **** house that is Parkin, was VERY entertaining, how they were not both sent off was a minor miracle..a bit like us actually winning 2 matches on the trot without conceeding!!!
Though it got a little bit squeaky bum time second half (you could see they had been given a roasting at half time) we all got the feeling that it WAS going to be 'our night' and that the equaliser would never happen (like it usually does.)
All credit to the lads, well done, great support from us faithfull 200 too...a night to get the old adrenalin going..
I was in such a fog of euphoria, that I looked at my speedo on the M62 and I was doing 98Mph naughty naughty.

Onward and upward UTS come on me babbies!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SWS1

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Speechless with delight.
Kiss!

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 am

Highlights here. Cuvelier's goal looks even better up close. Trying to remember the last player we had who was so quick he could play long balls to himself!

http://bcove.me/05ruw8og

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am

Balanced - not!

Notice the stats at the end which shows number of attempts by each side. Wonder how their keeper got MOM based on those highlights?

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 am

The Beeb's highlights might be fairer. I'd certainly like to see Cuvelier's late one-on-one. It was a great save from Paterson's excellent freekick but that was the only notable contribution their keeper made as far as I can remember. I'd also have marked him down for styling himself on Ian Walker circa 1995. Appalling floppy hair that he insisted on self-consciously flicking when he thought we weren't looking. Utterly disgraceful.

Perhaps the sponsors were Toni and Guy?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am

bangsection wrote:The Beeb's highlights might be fairer. I'd certainly like to see Cuvelier's late one-on-one. It was a great save from Paterson's excellent freekick but that was the only notable contribution their keeper made as far as I can remember. I'd also have marked him down for styling himself on Ian Walker circa 1995. Appalling floppy hair that he insisted on self-consciously flicking when he thought we weren't looking. Utterly disgraceful.

Perhaps the sponsors were Toni and Guy?

A bit of a lady garden as Messrs. Vader and Cheese might say :D

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:44 pm

bangsection wrote:Highlights here. Cuvelier's goal looks even better up close.

Thanks for that Bangers.

Jolly nice scoreboard too.............Image

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Yeah a scoreboard that people can actually see & read as well!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:58 pm

You can tell how much of an important game it was by the fact that the UTS board was unavailable for the last five tension-filled minutes!!! :shock:

But there was a happy ending, so that was all right....... :D

UTS Legend

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:02 am

bangsection wrote:Highlights here. Cuvelier's goal looks even better up close. Trying to remember the last player we had who was so quick he could play long balls to himself!

http://bcove.me/05ruw8og

Doesn't work for me. I'm obviously in the wrong country.

UTS Legend

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am

bangsection wrote:The Beeb's highlights might be fairer. I'd certainly like to see Cuvelier's late one-on-one. It was a great save from Paterson's excellent freekick but that was the only notable contribution their keeper made as far as I can remember.

I've seen the BBC highlights now (via my proxy server). It's all Scunthorpe, apart from the goal and Paterson's free kick.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:23 pm

kevin wrote:
bangsection wrote:Highlights here. Cuvelier's goal looks even better up close.

Thanks for that Bangers.

Jolly nice scoreboard too.............Image

Ace! Spells out "IRON! IRON! IRON!" whenever they have a corner too, I think.

Sexist Northern bastards.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:51 pm

It's the age-old question, isn't it?........"Who put the c**t in Scunthorpe" :shock: :shock:

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season