Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (H) Leage 1 Saturday 18/2/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Bernie
UTS Legend

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (H) Leage 1 Saturday 18/2/12.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:33 pm

The main thing we discovered today was that we are not the worst team in League One. Now we only need three more teams worse than us and we are back in League One for another exciting episode of Can We Beat The Drop?

Yippee!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 pm

latviancheese wrote:
SWS1 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Thank fudge for that :D

Did Fudge make the goal then? :?

Dont mention fudge, someone might get offended.

Pack it in. :shock:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:55 pm

kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

oooh very big and clever, maybe if you had been on the end of the abuse you would think differently!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

oooh very big and clever, maybe if you had been on the end of the abuse you would think differently!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Feel quite sorry for the lad actually.
Other people are sticking their noses in now, and some random ignoramus has decided to send him homophobic tweets too. All started because Manny Smith can't take criticism..
Had to laugh though when he said he should go and support someone else! I think that's a bit of Jeff Bonser coming out! :D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 pm

he is a very good friend of mine and one of the nicest people I know, also a regular poster on here, so please have a bit of respect when making snide comments!

definately a bonser moment! :roll:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Kiansmom wrote:he is a very good friend of mine and one of the nicest people I know, also a regular poster on here, so please have a bit of respect when making snide comments!

definately a bonser moment! :roll:

Would be totally different if he had said something racist to Manny Smith, it'd be a massive issue. :roll:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Bernie wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Is it true we have missed 10 out of 14 penalties this season - or is someone pulling my pluto? :shock:

As far as I remember these are our penalties this season:

Hartlepool A Macken - Scored
Bournemouth A Jarvis - Scored
Shrewsbury H Jarvis - Miss
Rochdale A Taundry - Miss
Rochdale A Hurst - Miss
Rochdale A Nicholls - Score
Rochdale A Jarvis - Miss
Dag & Red H Macken - Score
Dag & Red H Nicholls - Miss
Dag & Red H Gnakpa - Miss
Dag & Red H Bowerman - Score
Dag & Red H Beevers - Miss
Carlisle A Nicholls - Score
Oldham A Nicholls - Miss
Wycombe H Nicholls - Miss

If I have forgotten any please let me know.

So I make it that we have taken 15 penalties so far this season and scored 6 of them. That is a success rate of 40%.

Our most successful penalty taker is Macken who has scored 2 out of 2.
Bowerman has scored 1 out of 1.
Nicholls has scored 2 out of 5.
Jarvis has scored 1 out of 3.
Taundry, Hurst, Gnakpa and Beevers have all scored 0 out of 1.

I think there is a clue in there who should take the penaltys if he is on the pitch. The most obvious choice of all, even without any stats.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Calm down. Me and Latvian were just making a joke about the situation, not condoning any abuse. Just a chance for a play on words.

God the world's touchy these days. :roll:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm

not when the person it was all aimed at posts on this board then I don't find it funny at all that he will read it

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Bernie wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Is it true we have missed 10 out of 14 penalties this season - or is someone pulling my pluto? :shock:

As far as I remember these are our penalties this season:

Hartlepool A Macken - Scored
Bournemouth A Jarvis - Scored
Shrewsbury H Jarvis - Miss
Rochdale A Taundry - Miss
Rochdale A Hurst - Miss
Rochdale A Nicholls - Score
Rochdale A Jarvis - Miss
Dag & Red H Macken - Score
Dag & Red H Nicholls - Miss
Dag & Red H Gnakpa - Miss
Dag & Red H Bowerman - Score
Dag & Red H Beevers - Miss
Carlisle A Nicholls - Score
Oldham A Nicholls - Miss
Wycombe H Nicholls - Miss

If I have forgotten any please let me know.

So I make it that we have taken 15 penalties so far this season and scored 6 of them. That is a success rate of 40%.

Our most successful penalty taker is Macken who has scored 2 out of 2.
Bowerman has scored 1 out of 1.
Nicholls has scored 2 out of 5.
Jarvis has scored 1 out of 3.
Taundry, Hurst, Gnakpa and Beevers have all scored 0 out of 1.

What laughable stats.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Kiansmom wrote:not when the person it was all aimed at posts on this board then I don't find it funny at all that he will read it

Not everyone knows that though.

Just an obvious fudge joke when the chance popped up. Noone was thinking "lets have a go" at someone.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:48 pm

kshammer wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:not when the person it was all aimed at posts on this board then I don't find it funny at all that he will read it

Just an obvious fudge joke when the chance popped up. Noone was thinking "lets have a go" at someone.

and if it had been a racist remark would anyone have jumped in with a joke? I think not. sorry am just really annoyed about all this and seeing my friend upset has made it worse. people think gay jokes are fine, but at the butt of this one is a very nice young man who had the guts to openly admit he is gay

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 am

Let's stay on topic, this is the match thread. Cheers.

mossa

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:54 am

A lot happier after yesterdays much improved performance. Took my girlfriend to her first match for her birthday (think i risked getting dumped the way we have been playing). Truth is we could have won by about 4-5, we were slighly better team in a boring first half but dominated the second half. Smith deserves some creidt yestetday, his subs worked a treat and I was happy with the team he picked (probably apart from Nicholls). We need to a least get something from the Scunthorpe match and try and get back into a winning habit.
Grof- Not much to do but impressive in what he did. Nice distribution kicking as well 7
Taundry- probably best right back performance I've seen from a Walsall right back this season. Carm, collected and solid. 8
Butler - Didn't give there strikers much of a kick 7
Lancashire - Same as Butler 7
Sadler- Typical Sadler, nice and consistant. 7
Chambers- One of his better games, broke up their attacks well and got stuck in 7
Cuvellier- Very impressive. Slow start but got into the game more and more. He is that bit of quality we desperately need in centre midfield. Don't care if we don't sign anyone else on loan but vital we try and get him in for the rest of the season. 8
Hurst- Nice touches and a great goal 8
Paterson- scared them whenever he got the ball. Most of the time their defenders couldn't deal with his runs. Bit greedy at times but in my opinion deserved MOTM 8
Nicholls- Not gonna slate him as he was at least trying, clearly his confidence has gone at the mo and needs to be dropped a for a while and definately not take another penalty 6
Grigg- Thought Griggy did okay yesterday, tried hard and even held the ball up well on occasions 7
subs
Bowerman- struggled to stay on his feet at times to start with but one thing his kid can do is finish which is what we desperately need. Took his goal well 7
Macken- Sensible bringing him on when we did. Nice assist for goal 7
Peterlin- only on for about 2 mins 6

If Wycombe are generally anywhere near as bad as yesterday they will be going down without doubt. We need to start being more clinical and I think Bowerman is the most clinical Forward we have so should have a a few starts now. All in all though I actually enjoyed a match for the first time in a while.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 am

Graydon48 wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:Apparently Manny Smith was dropped for homophobic abuse towards a Walsall fan on Twitter.
I have read it and it's disgusting, notice Jamie Paterson stuck his ore in too on it. Wonder if this could go any further...

Patersons account has been closed. Read his rant aimed at any of us who dare to critisize the team. Can't call ourselfs real fans apperently. Knob.

It's not closed down after match yesterday he was posting on there and retweeted me

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 am

SaddlerCraig wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:Apparently Manny Smith was dropped for homophobic abuse towards a Walsall fan on Twitter.
I have read it and it's disgusting, notice Jamie Paterson stuck his ore in too on it. Wonder if this could go any further...

Patersons account has been closed. Read his rant aimed at any of us who dare to critisize the team. Can't call ourselfs real fans apperently. Knob.

It's not closed down after match yesterday he was posting on there and retweeted me

It was closed at one point yesterday evening, but re-opened later having been filleted.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 am

Strange day yesterday. The quietest I can ever remember at the library, but you got the feeling that if we'd have gone one down then discontent was waiting to explode.

The second half performance wasn't too bad, but we were dire in the first. Wycombe were truely pitiful and my worry is that I cant see how we are going to beat 6 other teams to stay up.

Felt truely sorry for Nicholls yesterday - it can't be easy to see your career disappear with two kicks. However, he's had enough chances for two or three players and he simply aint going to make it - get rid in the summer.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 am

Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:

and if it had been a racist remark would anyone have jumped in with a joke? I think not. sorry am just really annoyed about all this and seeing my friend upset has made it worse. people think gay jokes are fine, but at the butt of this one is a very nice young man who had the guts to openly admit he is gay

:shock: my original "thank fudge for that" comment was just a swear filter avoider, I didn't mean it to start a row / offend anyone.

So apologies, if it did, even though I have no idea what or whom the subsequent posts are on about.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 am

Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:

i see what you done there linda

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:07 pm

windowman wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:

i see what you done there linda

I knew someone would do that. I stayed well clear this time.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Must... Not... Respond...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Stick to the proper thread to discuss the Emmanuele Smith affair. Thanks all.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm

4143 wrote:Stick to the proper thread to discuss the Emmanuele Smith affair. Thanks all.

He is having an affair too! the dirty scoundrel, public flogging for Manny.

Back on topic, Good win for Walsall :)

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Once again, the Saddlers Player commentator on the match highlights thinks that Jimmy Walker was our keeper. No excuses this time.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Must... Not... Respond...

:mrgreen: I love how PC people get meks me loff!

Anyhoo!

I thought it was a poor game with two poor teams except we had some young guns with something to prove!

Am I the only one who gets nervous at Groff's positioning?

Hurst took physics and thrusted it into submission!

Cuvellier was my MOM, not only he put himself about he created chances!

I wish Paterson would deliver more than he shoots, but hey ho he's improving with every game!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I wish Paterson would deliver more than he shoots, but hey ho he's improving with every game!

I agree - and this is one of the reasons why our chance conversion rate is so poor. We must have had around 15 shots on goal on Saturday, yet I'd be surprised if more than a third of them were on target.
Once Paterson learns when to pick a pass and when to shoot, he'll be some player.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Once Paterson learns when to pick a pass and when to shoot, he'll be sold.

fixed that for you :wink:

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:I wish Paterson would deliver more than he shoots, but hey ho he's improving with every game!

I agree - and this is one of the reasons why our chance conversion rate is so poor. We must have had around 15 shots on goal on Saturday, yet I'd be surprised if more than a third of them were on target.
Once Paterson learns when to pick a pass and when to shoot, he'll be some player.

He needs to realise that he is doing himself more harm than good by being so selfish. As a winger being able to create for others should be a big part of his game and in fact I thought his performance on Saturday was often a hindrence to us as a team. A few occasions others including Nicholls, Grigg, Hurst and Cuvelier were better placed and yet he decided to shoot. Head down and forget everyone else! I am surprised DS hasn't pulled him up about this as he needs to be playing for the team not just about personal glory. Hope he isn't getting too big for his boots following his recent Twitter outburst. Could be a quality player but needs to see the bigger picture - for that reason I was hughely suprised to see him given MOM as thought Flo deserved it. Then again I suppose the match sponsors who pick the winner don't watch most of the game and just see someone taking shots from everywhere on the pitch with virtually no benefit. I reckon out of about 10-12 shots on Sat by Paterson on his own only one of them forced the keeper into a decent save. :!:

If we get everyone playing as a TEAM then we could be in with a chance.

Also thought it strange that Grigg wanted the ball for the penalty but Paterson wouldn't give it him and gave it to Nicholls instead who promptly missed. I think Grigg even spoke to Nicholls about wanting it but obviously Nicholls wanted to prove a point......he didn't.

Also, I am not sure what instructions Grof was under but why on earth did he ignore both fullbacks every time he got the ball and just decide to lump it up to Nicholls and Grigg?? I felt sorry for them both in the first half as they really were feeding off scraps - what is the point in having a midfield if they get bypassed everytime? I really am getting frustrated at having to bring this up after every game. KEEP IT ON THE BLOODY FLOOR!!! :mrgreen:

Good result though and hoping for a better performance and a similar result against Scunthorpe tomorrow night.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 pm

TBF, Patterson didn't start shooting on sight until after the first goal - presumably he noticed that the keeper didn't move a muscle and thought it worthwhile to go into 'shoot-to-kill' mode.

Given our dismal lack of shots on goal in other matches over the last few years, I'm quite happy for him to keep going - at least until his teamates show some ability to control the ball and get a shot off in tight situations.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:50 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Is there ever a right time to pass to Nicholls and Grigg? Perhaps the reason we have so many shots from distance is that while the conversion rates for such shots may be very low it is still the best option available.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season