Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (H) Leage 1 Saturday 18/2/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (H) Leage 1 Saturday 18/2/12.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Boy we needed that , very pleased . other result didn't go our way all the same good result .

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Duke wrote:Boy we needed that , very pleased . other result didn't go our way all the same good result .

Makes the result even more important in my opinion! Had we lost, there'd be an even bigger gap and things would look much worse!

Finch

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:00 pm

I have no idea what happened on twitter but Smith was dropped because he was poor in the first half at Oldham (when we conceded two) and Lancashire came on and did a good job and we kept a second half clean sheet. Whatever he has or hasn't done, he wouldn't have been in the first 11 today.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
Edit: The two sides below us both won too so Wycombe go bottom, five points from safety having played three games more. I think they're gone.

Wycombe certainly looked "gone". Body language of the players terrible, arguing among themselves, utterly bereft of quality.

Our problem is that most of our other relegation rivals look to have brought in a quantity of quality at exactly the right time. Loanees Walker and Parkin both scored for Scunthorpe today, for example, as did D'Ath and Parrett for Yeovil.

If Macken's fit enough he and Bowerman must start at Scunthorpe on Tuesday. They showed more understanding as a front two in ten minutes than Grigg and Nicholls did in sixty.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:Apparently Manny Smith was dropped for homophobic abuse towards a Walsall fan on Twitter.
I have read it and it's disgusting, notice Jamie Paterson stuck his ore in too on it. Wonder if this could go any further...

Patersons account has been closed. Read his rant aimed at any of us who dare to critisize the team. Can't call ourselfs real fans apperently. Knob.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Duke wrote:Boy we needed that , very pleased . other result didn't go our way all the same good result .

Makes the result even more important in my opinion! Had we lost, there'd be an even bigger gap and things would look much worse!

Agreed vital now we get something Tuesday night

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:Apparently Manny Smith was dropped for homophobic abuse towards a Walsall fan on Twitter.
I have read it and it's disgusting, notice Jamie Paterson stuck his ore in too on it. Wonder if this could go any further...

Patersons account has been closed. Read his rant aimed at any of us who dare to critisize the team. Can't call ourselfs real fans apperently. Knob.

Yeah I noticed his account had been closed too.. Very big headed for such a young player who still has to prove himself. Thinks he's a big timer, laughable.
@Finch - He wasn't on the bench either, could just be a typical rumour but who knows.

SWS1

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Stone me. There just has to be something to spoil the rare enjoyment of a Walsall win. :evil:

SWS1

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Is it true we have missed 10 out of 14 penalties this season - or is someone pulling my pluto? :shock:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 pm

SWS1 wrote:Is it true we have missed 10 out of 14 penalties this season - or is someone pulling my pluto? :shock:

If Nicholls took them we would have missed 15! what was Deano thinking letting him take ANOTHER penalty, Nicholls should be dropped, and banned from EVER taking one more penalty whilst wearing a Walsall shirt. dumb butt.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm

In a nut shell...

Walsall played well and really deserved the win so all credit to them.

Wycombe were as bad as i've seen in this league - division 2 team all day long.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Is it true we have missed 10 out of 14 penalties this season - or is someone pulling my pluto? :shock:

If Nicholls took them we would have missed 15! what was Deano thinking letting him take ANOTHER penalty, Nicholls should be dropped, and banned from EVER taking one more penalty whilst wearing a Walsall shirt. dumb butt.

He looked terrifed as he took it. It isn't as though he was an Alan Shearer who may miss one but usually is a goal machine so you let him keep taking them. It is Alex Nicholls for gods sake... why oh why was he allowed to take another in the position we're in? The penalty was about as bad as could be... just off centre, nice height and not too powerful.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Yay! Best team in the world!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

There's far too much macho sentimentality in football these days - players want to prove that they're big enough to take a penalty having missed one previously and managers and team mates are all too happy to indulge them.

It was an awful penalty. About two yards to the keeper's right, scuffed goalwards at approximately 2mph. Today's game was far too important to make it about Nicholls' redemption following Tuesday's game. If I was Dean Smith I'd have genuinely thought about bringing Macken on specifically to take it.

Lone Striker

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Not just missing the penalty but allround performance dictates he should not start on Tuesday. A front two of Macken and Bowerman should be first choice even though Grigg improved in the final 30 minutes today and could keep his place on Tuesday. Bowerman just looks like he has the potential to score goals at this level, his movement and first touch is far better than Nicholls and he has the knack of being in the right place in the box when chances come along. For me Bowerman is the best prospect since Matty Fryatt with similar strengths including the vital one of being able to finish chances when they come along, the time must be right for him to have a run of games.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Lone Striker wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Not just missing the penalty but allround performance dictates he should not start on Tuesday. A front two of Macken and Bowerman should be first choice even though Grigg improved in the final 30 minutes today and could keep his place on Tuesday. Bowerman just looks like he has the potential to score goals at this level, his movement and first touch is far better than Nicholls and he has the knack of being in the right place in the box when chances come along. For me Bowerman is the best prospect since Matty Fryatt with similar strengths including the vital one of being able to finish chances when they come along, the time must be right for him to have a run of games.

I'm sure Jeff will be having words! Need to bring along the next prospect so we can sell him for £400k and keep the 'another year of profit' stories going!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Finch wrote:I have no idea what happened on twitter but Smith was dropped because he was poor in the first half at Oldham.

No... he was dropped for internal disciplinary matters relating to the aforementioned Twitter incident.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Finch wrote:I have no idea what happened on twitter but Smith was dropped because he was poor in the first half at Oldham.

No... he was dropped for internal disciplinary matters relating to the aforementioned Twitter incident.

That's what I heard too

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

That's what I heard too

Take the piss out of fans once and you get dropped. Do it for twenty years and you own the club.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Can't add much to comments already made - only just got home....for the whole of the first half I honestly couldn't see where a goal was going to come from. The game had 0-0 written all over it, and the only redeeming feature about the first 45 minutes was that Paterson did shoot whenever the opportunity presented itself - the trouble was that he was the only one, as nobody else would take the risk.

Three minutes into the second half, and we get the penalty. To be fair to Nicholls, no-one else wanted to take it - no, it was more than that, everyone else visibly detached themselves from even being considered. The penalty didn't seem to have entered anyone else's thinking. However, what Nicholls proceeded to do was really unforgiveable. He stroked it reasonably gently (the newspapers would call it a "placed" penalty) to allow the goalkeeper to palm the ball away. Dean Smith should really (a) get the whole squad practising penalty kicks this week, and (b) decide who would be the best option, because sure as eggs is eggs it isn't Nicholls. I would rather Butler had a blast, or even Grof, who seems to have quite a strong right peg.

Having missed our chance with the penalty, the natural thought was "here we go again", but from that point we started to play proper football. If the first half had been hoofball (and much of it was) then most of the second half we saw a team transformed. Determined attacking runs led to Hurst trying his luck from well outside the area, and the wind (which had been very blustery at times) caught the ball and swerved it beautifully into the net. That was with about 25 minutes to go, and despite my natural thoughts of "plenty of time to throw this away" we really started to lay the passing game on for all to see. Triangle movements down either flank, with pass after pass going to a red shirt. Bowerman had been brought on by this time, and he began to put himself about and combine with Cuvelier (for his age, a genuine class player) and Taundry, who I thought had a very reasonable game. Ten minutes from the end Macken was introduced, and immediately settled into his role of holding the ball up and distributing - it was from one of his lay-offs that Bowerman accepted the ball, pushed it forwards and stroked it into the net beyond the advancing keeper.

Wycombe did throw the kitchen sink at us for the last five minutes, but it was very huff and puff. One very late corner caused the missing of a heartbeat as Grof punched clear, but all in all we ended the game in complete control. It just goes to show that there is an ability to play the passing game, and play it well - confidence (or lack of it) must play a big part in demonstrating that ability. Man of the match was Paterson, and for his consistent effort and willingness to shoot whenever possible over the 90 minutes I would have to agree with that selection.

For Scunthorpe (and thereafter) can I plead with Deano to bring in a strike-force of (at least) Paterson and Bowerman to start the game. Bring Macken on for the 15 or 20 minutes that his legs are able to function, but I really wasn't impressed with Nicholls or Grigg today. Give other youth a chance!!!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Cheesebag wrote:

Ravel Morrison was charged with an identical offence by the FA today. Presumably Manny Smith will be getting a similar tap on the shoulder in the coming days.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Wycombe were probably the worst team I have seen in many years. They still needed beating though which we did comfortably.

Nicholls taking the penalty was laughable.Who sanctioned that?

There is slim hope and today's random team selection was about the best we can muster.

Still away from home Deano can probably select bloody Jarvis.Even he knew if he had done this at home he would have been slaughtered.

Is there still hope?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Just as a follow-up to my observations on the game - I've seen the Press Association "Live text" that the BBC uses, and according to them Jamie Paterson had 10 (ten!!!) attempts on goal, which in itself is a lot more than the whole team has made in most games this season....... :shock:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 pm

bangsection wrote:Ravel Morrison was charged with an identical offence by the FA today. Presumably Manny Smith will be getting a similar tap on the shoulder in the coming days.

Having seen the comment in question, I suspect you're right.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 pm

It's my understanding that the club are dealing with the matter and it's being taken further.

SWS1

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Thank fudge for that :D

Did Fudge make the goal then? :?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 pm

As far as I remember these are our penalties this season:

Hartlepool A Macken - Scored
Bournemouth A Jarvis - Scored
Shrewsbury H Jarvis - Miss
Rochdale A Taundry - Miss
Rochdale A Hurst - Miss
Rochdale A Nicholls - Score
Rochdale A Jarvis - Miss
Dag & Red H Macken - Score
Dag & Red H Nicholls - Miss
Dag & Red H Gnakpa - Miss
Dag & Red H Bowerman - Score
Dag & Red H Beevers - Miss
Carlisle A Nicholls - Score
Oldham A Nicholls - Miss
Wycombe H Nicholls - Miss

If I have forgotten any please let me know.

So I make it that we have taken 15 penalties so far this season and scored 6 of them. That is a success rate of 40%.

Our most successful penalty taker is Macken who has scored 2 out of 2.
Bowerman has scored 1 out of 1.
Nicholls has scored 2 out of 5.
Jarvis has scored 1 out of 3.
Taundry, Hurst, Gnakpa and Beevers have all scored 0 out of 1.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Bernie wrote: I make it that we have taken 15 penalties so far this season and scored 6 of them.

That is dreadful.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Welcome win. Some people talking about us gaining 3 points because if it. What are these 3 points people talk of?

As welcome as the win was let's not get carried away. We were the best of two poor teams.

Saying that, it just goes to show we look a much better team when we occasionally decide to pass it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 pm

SWS1 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Thank fudge for that :D

Did Fudge make the goal then? :?

Dont mention fudge, someone might get offended.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season