Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arranged .

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arrang

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am

Yep, I also thought it was one of Nicholls better performances. He actually beat his man and put in some decent crosses last night too. We might make a footballer out of him yet, but I'm not holding my breath. It is contract renewal time.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Yep, I also thought it was one of Nicholls better performances. He actually beat his man and put in some decent crosses last night too. We might make a footballer out of him yet, but I'm not holding my breath. It is contract renewal time.

Nicholls' biggest problem is that he claims himself to be a striker, yet doesn't score goals. In the system we played last night, there's arguably a place for him in that wide position, but if he wants to play as a striker, I'd suggest he'll have to drop down a level or two to do that. We can't afford to persist with a striker who won't score any more than six or seven goals a season - especially as he's not a promising youngster any more.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I am a big fan of Macken, I think our best performances (until last night) had come when he had played at his best. Last night he took a kick, and wasn't really interested from then on. He is getting on as a footballer, he can't play two games in a week, to be honest he is struggling with one. Ledesma doesn't really require a Macken to hold the ball up, what he requires is someone who is going to make runs behind the defence, which Bowerman did when he came on as you said.

I hope Bowerman can progress, if we can make a 15 goal a season striker out of him, that's a pretty big deal for a club like Walsall.

I would agree that Macken is a superb player, when on form. But as a partnership with Ledesma I am not sure it would work, as well as with Bowerman/or even Nicholls.

Bowerman's movement made things easy for Ledesma last night. How many times was there a gaping hole between their two centre halves which Ledesma ran into? That was thanks to Bowerman. As much as I rate Macken, I do agree that he perhaps doesn't quite free up Ledesma to play to his strengths.

I also thought Nicholls' ball retention was very good last night and it showed why he arguably got the nod ahead of Paterson.

Not sure your right about this, im pretty sure Nicholls would have started anyway. The substitution on Saturday is a big clue to the fact that Paterson was dropped for Ledesma.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:31 am

ihatethecorps wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I am a big fan of Macken, I think our best performances (until last night) had come when he had played at his best. Last night he took a kick, and wasn't really interested from then on. He is getting on as a footballer, he can't play two games in a week, to be honest he is struggling with one. Ledesma doesn't really require a Macken to hold the ball up, what he requires is someone who is going to make runs behind the defence, which Bowerman did when he came on as you said.

I hope Bowerman can progress, if we can make a 15 goal a season striker out of him, that's a pretty big deal for a club like Walsall.

I would agree that Macken is a superb player, when on form. But as a partnership with Ledesma I am not sure it would work, as well as with Bowerman/or even Nicholls.

Bowerman's movement made things easy for Ledesma last night. How many times was there a gaping hole between their two centre halves which Ledesma ran into? That was thanks to Bowerman. As much as I rate Macken, I do agree that he perhaps doesn't quite free up Ledesma to play to his strengths.

I also thought Nicholls' ball retention was very good last night and it showed why he arguably got the nod ahead of Paterson.

Not sure your right about this, im pretty sure Nicholls would have started anyway. The substitution on Saturday is a big clue to the fact that Paterson was dropped for Ledesma.

Yes, but if Paterson genuinely was better than Nicholls, we'd play him on the right, wouldn't we?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am

BathSaddler wrote:Attendance: 3,331. Not as bad as it could have been, and I would imagine very few away fans there tonight.

85 Colchester fans

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Also, a word on the Colchester support. I know Walsall isn't the most appealing or even reachable of away trips for them on a Tuesday night, but come on - that was woeful.

The worst away following I've seen since we were visited by the dying embers of Wimbledon, pre-MK. Might have even been worse actually.

Yes i think even Dagenham bought more for the FA Cup replay didn't they? But massive respect to the ones who did go though.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Yep, I also thought it was one of Nicholls better performances. He actually beat his man and put in some decent crosses last night too.

Maybe the state of the pitch has something to do with this - now that the wide parts of the pitch have dried out and actually have grass, our wingers should have more confidence to get to the byline and put crosses in than previously.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:

Yes, but if Paterson genuinely was better than Nicholls, we'd play him on the right, wouldn't we?

I think Paterson is/will be better than Nicholls (Footballing brain must mature first tho), I just believe D.S went with experience as much as anything, and with all the faults A.N has got, theres no denying that 9 out of 10 performances he puts a good shift in.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Attendance: 3,331. Not as bad as it could have been, and I would imagine very few away fans there tonight.

85 Colchester fans

7 or 8 of those were John Ward's family from Sutton Coldfield. I know, I was sitting by them in the Saddlers Club before the game. So 10% of their crowd were family.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

tinned wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:

85 Colchester fans

7 or 8 of those were John Ward's family from Sutton Coldfield. I know, I was sitting by them in the Saddlers Club before the game. So 10% of their crowd were family.

I was confused at first why they put them in the corner like they did instead of on the side like normal. Then it became blatantly obvious, seems if they had have put them on the side then the whole of the 'Family' stand would have had to have been lit up, instead they put them where they were so they could isolate the lights and save on Electric. Perhaps the powers that be are not as daft as they seem at times :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

[quote="ihatethecorps]I was confused at first why they put them in the corner like they did instead of on the side like normal. Then it became blatantly obvious, seems if they had have put them on the side then the whole of the 'Family' stand would have had to have been lit up, instead they put them where they were so they could isolate the lights and save on Electric. Perhaps the powers that be are not as daft as they seem at times :D[/quote]

Oh there's mileage in this tightwad, er, eco-friendly approach.
Perhaps, they could only illuminate the flood light nearest the ball with a motion sensor.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Looking back, was anyone else amused by the fact that Wordsworth wheeled away to celebrate his wonder goal with the Colchester fans, only to realise as he turned around that there was only a bus load of them some 150 yards in the distance.

Shouldn't mock them too much though, in fairness - at least they made the effort to support their team.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:56 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Looking back, was anyone else amused by the fact that Wordsworth wheeled away to celebrate his wonder goal with the Colchester fans, only to realise as he turned around that there was only a bus load of them some 150 yards in the distance.

Shouldn't mock them too much though, in fairness - at least they made the effort to support their team.

Yea i spotted that also, that goal deserved to be seen by alot more than 87 fans :(

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Looking back, was anyone else amused by the fact that Wordsworth wheeled away to celebrate his wonder goal with the Colchester fans, only to realise as he turned around that there was only a bus load of them some 150 yards in the distance.

To be fair, how many more do you think we would take there on a tuesday night nowadays ?

I went in the 90s when Hibbit was manager, just before he got the sack, and we only took about 120-150.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

To be fair, how many more do you think we would take there on a tuesday night nowadays ?

I went in the 90s when Hibbit was manager, just before he got the sack, and we only took about 120-150.

The last two seasons we have taken 142 and 173 to Colchester. And both were weekend matches. TBH, we would have been lucky to take 100 last night if the fixture had been the other way round.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:54 pm

What is this wonder goal people are talking about? :wink: Was it the curled shot from the edge of the box by an unmarked player, who practices this type of play most days of the week? The like which is seen up and down the country every weekend.

Maybe 30 years ago, but with today's ball, these strikes have become normal.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Still think we'd reach triple figures, just about, 101/102/103, ect.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm

chestersaddler wrote:What is this wonder goal people are talking about? :wink: Was it the curled shot from the edge of the box by an unmarked player, who practices this type of play most days of the week? The like which is seen up and down the country every weekend.

Ledesma's free kick was just run of the mill aswel, something we see week in week out at the Bonks's :roll:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:53 pm

chestersaddler wrote:What is this wonder goal people are talking about? :wink: Was it the curled shot from the edge of the box by an unmarked player, who practices this type of play most days of the week? The like which is seen up and down the country every weekend.

Really?

Maybe someone should teach Hurst.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arranged .

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Unmarked player outside the box picks his spot and gives the keeper no chance. We've seen that too many times this season.
Last edited by longdogs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 pm

I think it's a case of credit where it's due here, Chester. Wonder goal might have been a bit extreme, but it takes some technique to work the ball right into the top corner like he did.

Peter Crouch reckons he practices the control and volleyed shot every day in training, yet it took him until Saturday to score one. When an England international on some £60k a week takes so long to get one right, I think would be hard on Wordsworth to say his goal was run of the mill.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Exile wrote:Not bad for Tuesday night against unfashionable oppopsition.

Is that a 'tongue in cheek' comment?

That's the worst following I have seen in this league and even though we have lost a couple of hundred off our away support I think a few of you are doing us a disservice - in their position we would have taken a lot more.

Funnily enough the smallest away support I have seen at Bescot was Colchester, we lost 1-2 with Kyle Lightbourne getting the goal - I think Kenny Hibbitt was manager. I was only a babby and I sat there and counted 42 haha.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

That's the worst following I have seen in this league and even though we have lost a couple of hundred off our away support I think a few of you are doing us a disservice - in their position we would have taken a lot more.

Funnily enough the smallest away support I have seen at Bescot was Colchester, we lost 1-2 with Kyle Lightbourne getting the goal - I think Kenny Hibbitt was manager. I was only a babby and I sat there and counted 42 haha.

I think you wrong, I don't think we would take many more at all. 100 max I would say, bear in mind they have nothing to play for.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I think it's a case of credit where it's due here, Chester. Wonder goal might have been a bit extreme, but it takes some technique to work the ball right into the top corner like he did.

Peter Crouch reckons he practices the control and volleyed shot every day in training, yet it took him until Saturday to score one. When an England international on some £60k a week takes so long to get one right, I think would be hard on Wordsworth to say his goal was run of the mill.

I posted at HT (page 3) describing it as a cracking finish, so I did give credit to be fair. Describing it as a wonder goal or worldy ( a new one to me) is too Sky Sports / MOTD pundity for me. I expect much more from our esteemed posters :wink:

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I posted at HT (page 3) describing it as a cracking finish, so I did give credit to be fair. Describing it as a wonder goal or worldy ( a new one to me) is too Sky Sports / MOTD pundity for me. I expect much more from our esteemed posters :wink:

Worldy is a Sky Sports term (embarassing to admit, but its actually a Paul Merson term). I agree, it should never be used on this board and I apologise :oops:

However, it was a very good finish :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Three and a half minutes of expansive champagne football for all to enjoy.

http://bcove.me/0uttfdd9

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 pm

bangsection wrote:Three and a half minutes of expansive champagne football for all to enjoy.

I wish people would learn to spell our stadium name correctly.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 pm

tinned wrote:
bangsection wrote:Three and a half minutes of expansive champagne football for all to enjoy.

I wish people would learn to spell our stadium name correctly.

The commentary is tosh too!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I was taling about our crowd, not their pisspoor following! :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm

The freekick was sex on fool legs.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season