Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arranged .

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Tuesday 27/3/12 Re Arrang

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm

In short, Ledesma was the key to the lock we've struggled to open all season. We were dynamite in their half at times, and one of their centre halves was taken off to avoid further embarassment - Ledesma really was that good.

It would be unfair to forget how well everyone else played, but we did take a good 20-25 minutes to get going - we were a desperate Manny Smith tackle away from going two goals down in fact. That said, Ledesma, to be frank, took the pee out of them in the second half. One bit of skill by the corner flag which saw him make a fool of his marker was absolutely impossible to describe and still has my mind tied in knots just thinking about how he did it - he's an absolute wizard with a ball at his feet.

What impressed me the most is how the likes of Cuvelier, Mantom and Bowerman joined up with Ledesma after a slow start and made a mockery of a decent Colchester side. For about five minutes, it was almost as if Cuvelier and Ledesma were trying to out-do eachother with sheer endeavour, quick feet and all-round skill. An absolute joy to watch.

I've been a fan of his since he made his debut, but having Bowerman up front seemed to give their back four a really tough time too. He gets into offside positions too often, but that's just because of the type of player he is - always on the move and looking to poach a chance in the box.

And a word for Matt Sadler - a collector's item goal, and he probably should have had another to go with it.

We could pick plenty of fault with the first 20 minutes, but we're Walsall aren't we? Never make it easy for ourselves.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I should have added earlier that Bowerman was a massive reason we played so well with his introduction.

Unlike Macken, he kept running across the line and his movement was superb. He really opened the game up.

Has to Ledesma and Bowerman up front on Saturday for me.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I just can't see how a team can go from so bad in the first 20 mins to so good in the rest we flattened them we could and should of had 6 tonight.

Quite simple - we actually started passing and moving.

I think they fed off the confidence Ledesma brought to the team.

Hope he gets protection from refs - teams will undoubtedly target him. I dread to think what the Rochdale scout's report says after tonight!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:First half an hour we were absolutely rubbish, and Manny Smith was almost keeping us in the game single handedly given that the central midfield were appalling and were giving our back four very little protection. Still took a worldy goal to give them the lead though, which begs the question: Why is every goal we concede lately either an absolute pearler, or a deflection? Our hoofball tactics weren't working (surprise surprise) and Sadler was having a mare with his every touch finding the middle of the family stand. Hurst was coming inside to try and influence the game and was probably the pick of the midfielders on the night. Then Sadler played a one two with Macken to go through one on one which their keeper saved, and that seemed to spark us into life. Manny then hit the underside of the bar with a header from a corner and we started to threaten.

Ledesma's free kick was Richards-esque and got us on par. We weren't exactly playing well and looked like a poor game between two poor teams, a draw looking likely. Then Macken was replaced with Bowerman and it completely changed the game. Three minutes later Sadler made up for his earlier miss and calamitous first half hour by netting a very well taken goal, and somehow we went into half time infront when it looked thoroughly unlikely for the first 43 minutes.

Second half we were brilliant! With Macken gone Ledesma came into his own and everything we did good came through him. Mantom and Cuvelier became more influential, Hurst and Nicholls attacked from wide and we looked really dangerous. However, the biggest danger was that we'd get complacent and we nearly did. Ledesma picked the ball up in the corner with acres of room, waited to be tackled so he could beat a man, didn't beat him and within fifteen seconds Sadler was clearing off the line down the other end.

We needed a third goal and it came from a brilliant header from Bowerman. The cross from Ledesma was slightly high and behind him, nobody should underestimate just how difficult a chance that was but he took it superbly, and at that point it was game over. The party tricks came out and we played with flair and confidence and the players (and fans) seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Ledesma came off with four minutes to go and received the standing ovation he deserved as well as the MOTM vote. It was the popular choice, but based on the fact he did precisely bother all for the first 38 minutes, and Manny was class throughout, I think I'd have given it to him.

If we play like that all season there is no chance in hell we'll go down. Lets hope we carry this on into Rochdale on Saturday. Cracking result, thoroughly enjoyable second half. UTS!!

Those who weren't there won't read a more accurate match report. I agree with your points about Manny Smith, but purely because of the fact that it's likely to be another decade before we see such an effective performance from a forward, Ledesma deserved his man of the match gong.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

bangsection wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I just can't see how a team can go from so bad in the first 20 mins to so good in the rest we flattened them we could and should of had 6 tonight.

Hope he gets protection from refs - teams will undoubtedly target him. I dread to think what the Rochdale scout's report says after tonight!

Very true, but that's where the likes of Cuvelier and Mantom should flourish. They can try all they want to stop Ledesma, but he's not the only one in our side with quality.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Absolutely chuffed with that result and performance.
Ledesma was absolutely awesome. He tore their defence apart in the 2nd half. Also thought Cuvelier,Hurst,Smith and Bowerman were awesome aswell.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm

A couple points I am at odds with priestly

We were not that bad in the first half hour. Maybe caught cold at the start. I didn't see much hoofball at all tbh. Before we equalised, we hit the bar and missed a one on one. There was some really good football played and all the time I thought that we were in the game despite Colchester looking dangerous going forward.

I thought that their goal was a great finish (is that what you mean by worldy?) but our defending on the left contributed to the bloke getting the chance to shoot.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:08 pm

kevin wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:Ground evacuated and 2 fire engines there.

You're on about Shrewsbury :D ..............

Shrewsbury Town's League Two home game with Port Vale was abandoned after 64 minutes due to a fire in the East Stand generator room at the Greenhous Meadow.

It was problee the chips wot dunnit.

Moving on to our match, the game changed when the referee remembered that shoving people over is a foul. This negated 60% of Colu's effectiveness. Thus protected, our team put in a sparkling display of passing that destroyed the opposition.. Even our 'League 1' players were moving off the ball - confident in the knowledge that the player on the ball could retain the ball under pressure and find them with a pass in tight situations. None of the 'ever-decreasing-triangles' that have been so much a feature over the past few years.

More of this, please.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 pm

chestersaddler wrote:A couple points I am at odds with priestly

We were not that bad in the first half hour. Maybe caught cold at the start. I didn't see much hoofball at all tbh. Before we equalised, we hit the bar and missed a one on one. There was some really good football played and all the time I thought that we were in the game despite Colchester looking dangerous going forward.

I thought that their goal was a great finish (is that what you mean by worldy?) but our defending on the left contributed to the bloke getting the chance to shoot.

By the same token though, as Priestley says, they cut through our midfield far too easily. A last ditch tackle from Smith and some very effective marking from Beevers were the only factors stopping us from being two or even three goals down.

We did of course have a few good chances before we scored, but I think we just about rode our luck more than them in the first 15-20 minutes.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm

We were rubbish until the one on one, which I think was after about half an hour. The midfield were doing nothing with the ball except passing it sideways which resulted in the fullbacks hitting it long. After that the one on one it was though we thought "Hang on, we can break these down". So we did, at will, all second half.

That was what I meant by worldy :wink:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:First half an hour we were absolutely rubbish, and Manny Smith was almost keeping us in the game single handedly given that the central midfield were appalling and were giving our back four very little protection. Still took a worldy goal to give them the lead though, which begs the question: Why is every goal we concede lately either an absolute pearler, or a deflection? Our hoofball tactics weren't working (surprise surprise) and Sadler was having a mare with his every touch finding the middle of the family stand. Hurst was coming inside to try and influence the game and was probably the pick of the midfielders at that point. Then Sadler played a one two with Macken to go through one on one which their keeper saved, and that seemed to spark us into life. Manny then hit the underside of the bar with a header from a corner and we started to threaten.

Ledesma's free kick was Richards-esque and got us on par. We weren't exactly playing well and looked like a poor game between two poor teams, a draw looking likely. Then Macken was replaced with Bowerman and it completely changed the game. Three minutes later Sadler made up for his earlier miss and calamitous first half hour by netting a very well taken goal, and somehow we went into half time infront when it looked thoroughly unlikely for the first 43 minutes.

Second half we were brilliant! With Macken gone Ledesma came into his own and everything we did good came through him. Mantom and Cuvelier became more influential, Hurst and Nicholls attacked from wide and we looked really dangerous. However, the biggest danger was that we'd get complacent and we nearly did. Ledesma picked the ball up in the corner with acres of room, waited to be tackled so he could beat a man, didn't beat him and within fifteen seconds Sadler was clearing off the line down the other end.

We needed a third goal and it came from a brilliant header from Bowerman. The cross from Ledesma was slightly high and behind him, nobody should underestimate just how difficult a chance that was but he took it superbly, and at that point it was game over. The party tricks came out and we played with flair and confidence and the players (and fans) seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Ledesma came off with four minutes to go and received the standing ovation he deserved as well as the MOTM vote. It was the popular choice, but based on the fact he did precisely bother all for the first 38 minutes, and Manny was class throughout, I think I'd have given it to him.

If we play like that all season there is no chance in hell we'll go down. Lets hope we carry this on into Rochdale on Saturday. Cracking result, thoroughly enjoyable second half. UTS!!

As I said earlier in the Thread Mannie would have been my M.O.M if it wasnt for Ladesma.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:

We were rubbish until the one on one, which I think was after about half an hour. The midfield were doing nothing with the ball except passing it sideways which resulted in the fullbacks hitting it long. After that the one on one it was though we thought "Hang on, we can break these down". So we did, at will, all second half.

What also happened, either by luck or judgement, was that Hurst moved inside and that seemed to free up space for Sadler to fly forward at will.

It was no surprise that they took their right winger off at half time. He watched Sadler drive past him with the ball a good four or five times.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:

Not arguing with the factual description, but against a team chasing the play offs, I feel that "rubbish" is an unfair description. I was pleased that the crowd didn't get on players backs when we went a goal down.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 pm

KA-BOOOOOSH!

:D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:

Not arguing with the factual description, but against a team chasing the play offs, I feel that "rubbish" is an unfair description. I was pleased that the crowd didn't get on players backs when we went a goal down.

It was strange actually - going a goal down seemed to give us (players and fans) a bigger sense of purpose. I said at the time that I still fancied us to win the game as long as we could get on level terms before half time.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 pm

You've gotta love Andy Butlers fistpumps at the end too, what a majestic alpha male.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Ledesma is light years ahead of anything we have and should be tied down with a contract asap.But that would mean paying him through the close season so it won't happen and like last year he will be off to a club with ambition,his play with cuvelier was like they had played together for years.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm

After a terrible start we settled into giving a very good performance and in the second half played our most exciting football in some time, Cuvelier and Ledesma in the same team being wonderful. Ledesma's just a class apart when he's like that and you wonder why the hell he's playing in League One. I don't know who the five scouts sitting in front of me (including one each from Leicester and Watford) had come to watch, but there was only one man they ended up watching and it was fascinating to see - regardless of where the ball was on the pitch, they were all just following Ledesma's every move, and no doubt have gone back with rapturous reports.

I thought Colchester looked like a good side, well-organised, hardworking and with some skill - so it was an excellent win.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:57 pm

bangsection wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:

They'll get some northern pie eating mauler to try and break his legs Saturday

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Also, a word on the Colchester support. I know Walsall isn't the most appealing or even reachable of away trips for them on a Tuesday night, but come on - that was woeful.

The worst away following I've seen since we were visited by the dying embers of Wimbledon, pre-MK. Might have even been worse actually.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Indeed. Very, very bad.

For how low our away numbers are on an average, I'm glad we never dip that bad!

What made me laugh is why we had 3 stewards on the steps next to the 5 or so 'singers'? :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Indeed. Very, very bad.

For how low our away numbers are on an average, I'm glad we never dip that bad!

What made me laugh is why we had 3 stewards on the steps next to the 5 or so 'singers'? :lol:

How many of them do you think there were? Could have probably counted them, but I reckon about 55 in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Heard 85? somewhere.

Cannot for the life of me see that being the correct figure anyway, they had about 8 at max standing up and then 40 to 50 odd scatted across the two blocks.

Fair play to the ones that turned up, though.
Last edited by Darth Vader on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:22 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Ledesma is light years ahead of anything we have and should be tied down with a contract asap.But that would mean paying him through the close season so it won't happen and like last year he will be off to a club with ambition,his play with cuvelier was like they had played together for years.

No it wouldn't. He would get a salary, which would be the same if he signed now, or at the end of the season.

We all know the crack with Bonser, but you along with a few others a far to cynical for your own good. I bet you don't even know where Ledesma went at the end of last season??? or if it was even a remote possiblity that we could sign him, so best just come on here and have a gripe, cos it makes you feel better about your life or something.

Sorry if that sounds offensive or whatever, We all know what Bonser is, but it really annoys the hell out of me, after a fine performance and victory, that everything from global warming, to not signing Marco Van Basten, has to end up about the same old , same old.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 am

Dear Dean: More of the same on Saturday, please! :D

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:00 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:No it wouldn't. He would get a salary, which would be the same if he signed now, or at the end of the season.

We all know the crack with Bonser, but you along with a few others a far to cynical for your own good. I bet you don't even know where Ledesma went at the end of last season??? or if it was even a remote possiblity that we could sign him, so best just come on here and have a gripe, cos it makes you feel better about your life or something.

Sorry if that sounds offensive or whatever, We all know what Bonser is, but it really annoys the hell out of me, after a fine performance and victory, that everything from global warming, to not signing Marco Van Basten, has to end up about the same old , same old.

I was talking about this with the old man on the walk back to the car last night. Although technically we have somebody who has the creativity that we lack, he did leave us for dead at the the end of last season!

As for the match. Attacking wise, bringing Bowerman on was the difference for me. Instead of having somebody come deep to hold up the ball, in Macken, we had Bowerman to attack the box. With this brought the space for Ledesma to shine, he is an absolute pleasure to watch when he is on form.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:31 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:No it wouldn't. He would get a salary, which would be the same if he signed now, or at the end of the season.

I was talking about this with the old man on the walk back to the car last night. Although technically we have somebody who has the creativity that we lack, he did leave us for dead at the the end of last season!

As for the match. Attacking wise, bringing Bowerman on was the difference for me. Instead of having somebody come deep to hold up the ball, in Macken, we had Bowerman to attack the box. With this brought the space for Ledesma to shine, he is an absolute pleasure to watch when he is on form.

I am a big fan of Macken, I think our best performances (until last night) had come when he had played at his best. Last night he took a kick, and wasn't really interested from then on. He is getting on as a footballer, he can't play two games in a week, to be honest he is struggling with one. Ledesma doesn't really require a Macken to hold the ball up, what he requires is someone who is going to make runs behind the defence, which Bowerman did when he came on as you said.

I hope Bowerman can progress, if we can make a 15 goal a season striker out of him, that's a pretty big deal for a club like Walsall.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:

Apologies in advance for not being critical here, but I actually think we must have a decent chance of keeping Ledesma for Smith to have signed him again in the first place. He did turn his back on us last summer, so I think Smith must have offered him a deal til the end of the season only on the premise that there's a fair chance we can extend it.

Unfortunately for us though, seven more performances like that and he'll be playing for someone else next season anyway. That performance was too good for League One.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I am a big fan of Macken, I think our best performances (until last night) had come when he had played at his best. Last night he took a kick, and wasn't really interested from then on. He is getting on as a footballer, he can't play two games in a week, to be honest he is struggling with one. Ledesma doesn't really require a Macken to hold the ball up, what he requires is someone who is going to make runs behind the defence, which Bowerman did when he came on as you said.

I hope Bowerman can progress, if we can make a 15 goal a season striker out of him, that's a pretty big deal for a club like Walsall.

I would agree that Macken is a superb player, when on form. But as a partnership with Ledesma I am not sure it would work, as well as with Bowerman/or even Nicholls.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I am a big fan of Macken, I think our best performances (until last night) had come when he had played at his best. Last night he took a kick, and wasn't really interested from then on. He is getting on as a footballer, he can't play two games in a week, to be honest he is struggling with one. Ledesma doesn't really require a Macken to hold the ball up, what he requires is someone who is going to make runs behind the defence, which Bowerman did when he came on as you said.

I would agree that Macken is a superb player, when on form. But as a partnership with Ledesma I am not sure it would work, as well as with Bowerman/or even Nicholls.

Bowerman's movement made things easy for Ledesma last night. How many times was there a gaping hole between their two centre halves which Ledesma ran into? That was thanks to Bowerman. As much as I rate Macken, I do agree that he perhaps doesn't quite free up Ledesma to play to his strengths.

I also thought Nicholls' ball retention was very good last night and it showed why he arguably got the nod ahead of Paterson.

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season