Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League 1 Tuesday 31/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Scunthorpe also have nice cantilevered stands. Something else they did better than us

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Notts County (H) League 1 Tuesday 31/1/12.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am

swiftyboy wrote:Scunthorpe also have nice cantilevered stands. Something else they did better than us

Glanford Park also had stanchions - just like Bescot Stadium - just fewer of them. The reason that we had more was that we needed them to support the floodlights whereas Scunthorpe mounted their floodlights on four towers, outside the ground, one at each corner.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 am

boringteacher wrote:Last night was one of the more miserable nights I can recall in 35+ years of mainly hurt. We were outclassed by a rubbish team, managed by a worthless excuse for a football manager with the inevitable winner coming from one of the few people in footie who can claim to be a worse "human" being than the current England captain.

The only hope I had during the match was that their centre forward would share a future cell with a John Holmes-esque dingle homosexual rapist who had considerably more penetrative power than our excuse for an attack. As to the assorted excuses for footballers on our "side", I'm beyond words for them. Clueless.

Truly one of the best lines I've ever read on our beloved UTS message board, bt - I love it!

Wonderfully humorous, yet at the same time it must surely express what 99.9% of our membership would wish on the evil little ginger scumbag. The only thing that, IMHO, might be better than described above is TWO of the aforesaid John-Holmes-esque individuals, dealing with him from either end!

Most people might learn from their experiences and their misdemeanours, but the ginger scumbag continues his journey through life in a manner that is typical of a low-life ne'r-do-well with too big a head and far too much money, while at the same time being as thick as two short planks!

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 am

Pedagogue wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Scunthorpe also have nice cantilevered stands. Something else they did better than us

Glanford Park also had stanchions - just like Bescot Stadium - just fewer of them. The reason that we had more was that we needed them to support the floodlights whereas Scunthorpe mounted their floodlights on four towers, outside the ground, one at each corner.

...and we only have stanchions because our wonderful cantilever design was scaled back after all the money had been vacuumed up by the developers, who were most assuredly not Walsall FC Limited, but went under different names.

Disgusting, and the origin of all our current problems. Not the stanchions, but the money situation. At the say-so of a few people with no interest in the future of the club, and who filed no accounts, we ended up with a stadium we don't own on land we don't own (after actually owning both). Whatever happened after, however well intentioned, has this in the background, and while certain people involved in that original fiasco, which has never, ever, been explained, still have senior positions at the club, the club is tainted.

Question - At least two current members of the board share a history in this aspect of our club's transformation? Who are they?

It's one thing to say you saved the club, Bonser, but another entirely to have never explained the above properly to the supporters of the club, and this is still a problem today. Scant E&S articles from the period do this subject no justice, and neither do company records (on account of them never being filed). Silent shareholder then maybe, but you're still here. Oh hang, except on match days. Can't stand the heat? get out of the kitchen. Over 20 years it may be, but it still stinks, and no repeat of the "move along, nothing to see here" meme will do anything to dispel this.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:26 am

Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

...and we only have stanchions because our wonderful cantilever design was scaled back after all the money had been vacuumed up by the developers, who were most assuredly not Walsall FC Limited, but went under different names.

Disgusting, and the origin of all our current problems. Not the stanchions, but the money situation. At the say-so of a few people with no interest in the future of the club, and who filed no accounts, we ended up with a stadium we don't own on land we don't own (after actually owning both). Whatever happened after, however well intentioned, has this in the background, and while certain people involved in that original fiasco, which has never, ever, been explained, still have senior positions at the club, the club is tainted.

Question - At least two current members of the board share a history in this aspect of our club's transformation? Who are they?

It's one thing to say you saved the club, Bonser, but another entirely to have never explained the above properly to the supporters of the club, and this is still a problem today. Scant E&S articles from the period do this subject no justice, and neither do company records (on account of them never being filed). Silent shareholder then maybe, but you're still here. Oh hang, except on match days. Can't stand the heat? get out of the kitchen. Over 20 years it may be, but it still stinks, and no repeat of the "move along, nothing to see here" meme will do anything to dispel this.

Cheers Exile. You've just explained exactly what I was getting at by my stanchion post, without having to actually type it out :-)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

Which looks far better! Everyone has something to say about our barclays looking floodlights.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Haven't been able to get online since the match until now, but to echo some of the comments above, that performance was the sort of performance that gets a manager the sack. As it happens, Smith appears to have been given a stay of excecution - he's a very lucky man.

Had Cuvelier been signed to add strength and depth to an already successful side, a place on the bench would have been fair enough. But to come in, train with his struggling team mates for a good few days prior to the game and still not play from the start is absolutely laughable in my book.

King Crimson is spot on in his list of reasons why Smith deserves the sack. The strange thing is, I genuinely believe this squad has a togetherness and a commitment level which is generally, very good. The tactical side of things however, is completely non-existent. We worry so much about our opposition, it's unbelievable - Taundry playing from the start is the perfect piece of evidence to support that statement. We shoehorn him into the side, not because he has an outstanding attribute which might help us to win a game, but because he's an awkward bugger who'll hassle his opponents when they have the ball. Our opponents are too good for him though, which is why there's absolutely no point in him playing.

Bar Sadler, Grof (who made one good save after he came on), Cuvelier and possibly Bowerman (criticism for him being offside is inevitable, but at least he plays on the shoulder of the last defender and makes threatening runs), every other player looked off the pace and devoid of any urgency. A worrying combination after ten days without a competitive match.

I can't question the decision to give Smith the job in the first place, but I relegation currently looks the most likely outcome from this season, unless things change within the next couple of weeks.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Haven't been able to get online since the match until now, but to echo some of the comments above, that performance was the sort of performance that gets a manager the sack. As it happens, Smith appears to have been given a stay of excecution - he's a very lucky man.

Had Cuvelier been signed to add strength and depth to an already successful side, a place on the bench would have been fair enough. But to come in, train with his struggling team mates for a good few days prior to the game and still not play from the start is absolutely laughable in my book.

King Crimson is spot on in his list of reasons why Smith deserves the sack. The strange thing is, I genuinely believe this squad has a togetherness and a commitment level which is generally, very good. The tactical side of things however, is completely non-existent. We worry so much about our opposition, it's unbelievable - Taundry playing from the start is the perfect piece of evidence to support that statement. We shoehorn him into the side, not because he has an outstanding attribute which might help us to win a game, but because he's an awkward bother who'll hassle his opponents when they have the ball. Our opponents are too good for him though, which is why there's absolutely no point in him playing.

Bar Sadler, Grof (who made one good save after he came on), Cuvelier and possibly Bowerman (criticism for him being offside is inevitable, but at least he plays on the shoulder of the last defender and makes threatening runs), every other player looked off the pace and devoid of any urgency. A worrying combination after ten days without a competitive match.

I can't question the decision to give Smith the job in the first place, but I relegation currently looks the most likely outcome from this season, unless things change within the next couple of weeks.

Cant imagine things changing for the better at all, on Wednesday morning we will have lost ANOTHER two matches, surely
even a puppet 'board' like ours, with all the stature of gutless spineless wimps, cannot continue to support a 'manager' with all the nouse of a gumboil, or can they? this IS Walsall F.C. After all! Nearly every team around us in the relegation zone have made concrete strides to assist in avoiding the drop, even if unsuccessful. What do we do? release our only striker
able to head a ball and/or worry opposing defences, continue to rely on a mish mash of other 'supposed' strikers, who remain unable to score goals 'to save thier lives', sign a midfielder for ONE month and proceed to sit him on the bench.....
If it wasn't so tragic it would make for an hilarious comedy! :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Nearly every team around us in the relegation zone have made concrete strides to assist in avoiding the drop, even if unsuccessful. What do we do? release our only striker able to head a ball and/or worry opposing defences

Not sure I can agree with you there - we don't know whether Gnakpa was a striker capable of consistently worrying defences or not. He didn't really ever get much of a chance.

Just a word on the disallowed goal - whilst I thought the ref made the right decision after seeing the incident live, the replays show that the goal should have stood. Smith didn't knock the ball out of Nelson's hands, nor did he impede him in any way. Nelson's reaction as he desperately tried to save his own blushes tells us all we need to know. That said, the goal would have been hard on County, who played us off the park for the majority of the game.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 am

Exile wrote:Question - At least two current members of the board share a history in this aspect of our club's transformation? Who are they?

Step forward Messrs Bonser, Whalley and Gilman!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Not sure I can agree with you there - we don't know whether Gnakpa was a striker capable of consistently worrying defences or not. He didn't really ever get much of a chance.

I certainly agree with that. How much time was he given to show what he could do as a striker?

WFC_Rob wrote:Just a word on the disallowed goal - whilst I thought the ref made the right decision after seeing the incident live, the replays show that the goal should have stood. Smith didn't knock the ball out of Nelson's hands, nor did he impede him in any way. Nelson's reaction as he desperately tried to save his own blushes tells us all we need to know. That said, the goal would have been hard on County, who played us off the park for the majority of the game.

The disallowed goal was a travesty, and I think that a draw would have been a fair result. County were as poor as we were, and neither side deserved to win.

Incidentally the commentary on Saddlers' Player is an embarrassment. How could a commentator not know that Grof was in goal for the second half, or be unable to tell the difference between Nicholls and Paterson?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Bernie wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Not sure I can agree with you there - we don't know whether Gnakpa was a striker capable of consistently worrying defences or not. He didn't really ever get much of a chance.

I certainly agree with that. How much time was he given to show what he could do as a striker?

WFC_Rob wrote:Just a word on the disallowed goal - whilst I thought the ref made the right decision after seeing the incident live, the replays show that the goal should have stood. Smith didn't knock the ball out of Nelson's hands, nor did he impede him in any way. Nelson's reaction as he desperately tried to save his own blushes tells us all we need to know. That said, the goal would have been hard on County, who played us off the park for the majority of the game.

The disallowed goal was a travesty, and I think that a draw would have been a fair result. County were as poor as we were, and neither side deserved to win.

Incidentally the commentary on Saddlers' Player is an embarrassment. How could a commentator not know that Grof was in goal for the second half, or be unable to tell the difference between Nicholls and Paterson?

Agree with this in part, their inept keeper clearly drops the ball onto Manny's head. However, I felt that we were so shite that Behelzebub himself could struggle to argue that his side were actually worthy of a point.

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season