Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 21/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 21/1/12.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:29 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Bowerman - immediate improvement when he came on, he looked sharper than Nicholls, Macken and Paterson and was unlucky that the ball didnt get to him at the back post in the last few minutes.

How many more times does Bowerman need to come on and prompt an immediate improvement before he gets a start?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Bowerman - immediate improvement when he came on, he looked sharper than Nicholls, Macken and Paterson and was unlucky that the ball didnt get to him at the back post in the last few minutes.

How many more times does Bowerman need to come on and prompt an immediate improvement before he gets a start?

Exactly! we looked much more likely to score when he and Nicholls were up front!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Probably first home cumbria, but I got back to my mate's house in Carlisle first probably! :wink: Agree with what you wrote pretty much. I was stood in the carlisle crowd today with my mate (opposite side to away fans, rather than behind goal) and you should have heard what some of their fans were saying during the second half and when we'd scored our goal! :lol: Makes our fans look quite objective and content!

Anyway, first half we were wack. Started awfully and they hit the bar eafly doors and we looked all over the place, and scared of the ball. They then scored from what appeared a mistake at the back, butler I think, and I was fearing the worst. Most of the first half was Carlisle in control, our midfield being over run and not in the game and our back four all hoofing balls up to nicholls and macken to try and win headers against a 6'5 and 6'4 pair of centre halves. No contest. In fact, it was only @taundz out right who was winning a header. We weren't creating, Paterson not really in the game and were lucky to go in at 1-0, with McGovern hitting the bar from a free kick just before the break.

Second half was a lot better and more determined and the subs, when they came, certainly helped. To be honest, I still didn;t think we looked like scoring - we weren't doing anything through midfield and neither wide player was getting past a man of getting decent ball into the box. We sustained a lot of pressure, had some fortunate decisions foulwise from the ref, and then had a lucky escape when Zoko was clean through (I was in line from where I as and he wasn't offside) but he lost balance trying to get round jimmy, who did well not to foul him, then fluffed his shot on goal. At 2-0 it would have been game over but we still had a sniff, I thought only from a dead ball to be honest. Bowerman came on and certainly improved movement up front. Jarvis for Peterlin was another change and we actually got the ball wide more. We had what I thought was a certain pen when Bowerman reacted to a shot in the area and it looked like his shirt was pulled nearly off is body but nothing given. Butler had a hearder cleared off the line and then Jimmy made a great save from Jordan Cook (memories!!). The last 15 mins we gave it a go to be fair, and got a pen, when simek fouled Butler from behind at the edge of the area - seen them given and seen them not given. Nicholls put it away, and then for the last 5 we actually tried to go for a win rather than just waste time in the corner.

All in all, a good point, given the way we improved second half. The same problems still persist though in terms of ball retention, creativity and some cutting edge. I thought Manny had a good game, Nicholls too, given the usual service etc, as well as Taundry who put a real shift in and made some great tackles tracking back to help tirelessly. Shame the creative edge of a wide player isn't really there. Peterlin and Chambers struggled in the main and we really need a centre mid. A striker to play alongside Bowerman would be good for when Macken comes off would be useful, as Nicholls-Bowerman, and Jarvis-Bowerman is quite weak.

UTS!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:15 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Carlise have lost to two clubs in last 18, Sheffield United and Charlton I believe.
We have zero chance and we are going to be absolutely crushed.
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Must keep more of an eye out for your pearls of wisdom in future.

Well done the lads on another away point. Must be time to string some home wins together now.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 pm

chestersaddler wrote:1-1 Macken 5611 including 147 Saddlers

Will be chuffed to betties if we get a point tomorrow

My betties are chuffed :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Wasn't far off with the attendance either. :D

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Whilst I couldnt get up to Carlisle today as much as the front line concerns me, I am also jumping on the centre-mid debate. At Brentford last week, Chambers just seemed to get brushed off the ball too easily......... I think he can play defensively and get his foot in where it counts but after that I struggle to see what else he offers and consequently we do lack the creativity and steel in the middle........

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Agree with most of what Jolly Johnny wrote.

I personally think that was one of our worst performances of the season, I'm struggling to think of a match where as a team we played collectively worse. Started slowly and looked really shaky defensively. We could have been behind even earlier than we actually were when they hit the bar in the 3rd minute. Mistake by Butler, who was caught in possession at the back, cost us the goal. We then had a decent 10 minute spell when we had a couple of good edge-of-the-box efforts from Paterson and then Taundry. After that we were second best for the rest of the first half, and if Carlisle were half decent would have been out of sight. But for all their dominance, they didn't really look like scoring again, not until they hit the bar from a freekick just before half time.

Even after the break they should have sewn the game up. Their striker went round Wacka and then slipped and hit the side netting when even Fernando Torres would have scored. Wacka also made a couple of decent saves, including one excellent one low to his left.

As much as Butler's error cost us the goal, as the match wore in he was our biggest attacking threat. He hit the post, had one cleared off the line, and won a penalty, all from centre half. Tells you a lot about Butler's character but also about the ability of our attacking play. We looked a lot sharper when Bowerman and Jarvis came on, but were still never gonna score unless they gifted us a goal, which they duly did. It wasn't the best penalty by Nicholls, the keeper got at least one hand on it and will be disappointed he didn't keep it out. But it went in and earned us a point. They say its a sign of a good team if they can play badly and still get results. Well we were really poor today but still battled from behind to earn a draw. Credit must be given to the players for that but, to be honest, we barely deserved it.

brackley
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 pm

It must have been cack to have been worse than the 2nd half against Rochdale at home!!!!!!!!1

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 pm

brackley wrote:It must have been cack to have been worse than the 2nd half against Rochdale at home!!!!!!!!1

It was.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

ws3 wrote:
brackley wrote:It must have been cack to have been worse than the 2nd half against Rochdale at home!!!!!!!!1

It was.[/
Apart from maybe half dozen games this season most have been cack. Smith out.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Can't believe I paid over £100 (including train fares) to come up from Wales to watch that dross..
Hopefully my next game vs Colchester is slightly better!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Carlise have lost to two clubs in last 18, Sheffield United and Charlton I believe.
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Hmmm :roll:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:51 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:First home im guessing? :D

What a poor match that was. Awful first half, we just didnt turn up, couldnt string 2 passes together, and could barely get past the halfway line today. They scored after about 5 minutes and then hit the post twice before half time. Second half we were better, and definatley could have nicked it in the last ten minutes or so, but I'd say a point is the most we deserved. Dare I say the substitutions made the difference today, Peterlin and Macken were total dross today, Bowerman looked bright when he came on, did more in the first ten minutes of coming on than Macken did in the first 60 minutes! Jarvis did a few good passes out wide too, but is still slower than a donkey and seems to shrink when the ball goes anywhere near his head! Again, we look decent defensively considering Carlisle are a top 6/7 side, but going foward we have little that will threaten anyone's defence. If Smith is to sign anyone this month, It must be a CM, CHambers and Peterlin were very poor today, and the only other midfielder at the club played pretty poorly on the right wing. A winger that goes past defenders would be nice too! There was very little service for the 2 upfront today!

Didnt think our penalty was a penalty to be honest, thought it was shoulder to shoulder. But, In the last minute or so we had a corner, jsut before the ball got booted into the stand one of their players elbowed Butler;s head, which should have been a penalty, dont know if anyone else saw this?

Very pleased with a point considering that I thought most of our players were poor today! Shame we couldnt nick it at the end. UTS

Walker - didnt have that many saves to make really.
Beevers - did Ok at defending, poor when it came to going foward.
Smith - pretty solid, won most of his headers. Probably my MOTM.
Butler - not as solid as I've seen him. His mistake gave them their goal, but he wasnt too bad overall.
Sadler - same as Beevers.
Taundry - why play a short chubby centre midfielder on the wing? He's not going to cross it into the box if he cant get past a defender first Deano!
Chambers - poor as I said above. Too slow to react to players going past him.
Peterlin - poor too, but better than Chambers.
Paterson - not as lively as the last couple of times ive seen him. Had one or two good cracks at goal though.
Macken - again, Poor. Didnt get foward with the ball, but probaboly due to their been no service to him. Couldnt seem to pass to our players when he held the ball up either, then moaned that they werent stood infront of the centre half he'd just passed it to.
Nicholls - better than Macken. Seemed willing to run to get the ball at times. Pleased for him too that he scored on his 200th game. Was half expecting him to miss the penalty though :)

Bowerman - immediate improvement when he came on, he looked sharper than Nicholls, Macken and Paterson and was unlucky that the ball didnt get to him at the back post in the last few minutes.
Jarvis - As i said above, played a few balls out wide, but didnt win any of the few headers that came close to him.
Hurst - Wasnt on the pitch long.

PS. Is Jon Whitney still our physio? The bloke who ran on today looked much shorter and fatter than Whitney did!?

Whitney hasn't been physio all season.He sits/stands in the dugout with Smith & O'Kelly.Our physio is Jason Chidwick.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 am

Exile wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Carlisle have lost to two clubs in last 18, Sheffield United and Charlton I believe.
Carlisle 4 Walsall 0.

Well done the lads on another away point. Must be time to string some home wins together now.

Coming from an idiot from New Zealand?
What was your prediction then?
Oh, hold on, you didn't have the guts to do one!

Tell you what big mouth, how about a competition?
A prediction competition until end of the season?
Whoever loses never comes back on this message board?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:30 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Up for it loser?

I'd like to see that competition, but between your good self and that Hednesford Saddler chappie.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 am

Another excellent point away from home , guess there's hope for us yet .

UTS

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Toys are well and truly out. Hilarious. Though I suppose it's three years since Wendygate. Bound to happen.

There's already a prediction competition.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Carlisle have lost to two clubs in last 18, Sheffield United and Charlton I believe.
Carlisle 4 Walsall 0.

Take a look at yourself.

Never known someone that gets so riled on a Messageboard.

I actually feel sorry for you.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I thought Carlisle were really dodgy when under the slightest pressure and any half-decent side would have left with three points.
We were truly dire for most of the time yesterday - there's potential in the squad but it's as though they are split into two and train seperately from each other; there's often so little cohesion it's hard to believe they have had half a season together. Time after time we had opportunities to seize the intiative but hesitation or choosing the wrong option was the order of the day. Manny Smith was Mr. Consistent yesterday so I'd give him MOTM.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Our footy is soo bad it aint worth talkin about, despite it being a good point to come away from Cumbria with....
More importantly (sad aye it) what was that shirt we were wearing? Just watched the highlights (Ha!) recorded from last night and was intrigued by the stripy shirt...it seemed great to me, didn't know we had this strip available, bring it on as our new 2012/13 Fourth Division season strip...reminded me of a strip from way back when....we had a footy team. :?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Take a look at yourself you absolute muppet.

Never known someone that gets so riled on a Messageboard.

I actually feel sorry for you.

I would feel sorry for yourself for feeling sorry for me.
Its only a message board, MMF and fat pie man keep telling us all.
Get over it, ya muppet.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Up for it loser?

Toys are well and truly out. Hilarious. Though I suppose it's three years since Wendygate. Bound to happen.

There's already a prediction competition, you berk.

What on Walsall matches only and the loser leaves the board?
Where is that located on the board then tool?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:53 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Carlise 4 Walsall 0.

Up for it loser?

There's already a prediction competition, you berk.

What on Walsall matches only and the loser leaves the board?
Where is that located on the board then tool?

Why don't you just imagine that you lost? That way, you don't have to come back on and you save yourself a lot of hassle.

Then you can take you can abuse people over the Internet because you can't do it face to face somewhere else.

Your anger belies your insecurities.

Here endeth my pop psychology xxx

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Tell you what big mouth, how about a competition?
Up for it loser?

Why would I enter into a competition with someone who welches on all his bets?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Exile wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Tell you what big mouth, how about a competition?
Up for it loser?

Why would I enter into a competition with someone who welches on all his bets?

Not sure what you on about.

Thats because you know you will lose.

You are all mouth and no action.

A sad case.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Whitney hasn't been physio all season.He sits/stands in the dugout with Smith & O'Kelly.Our physio is Jason Chidwick.

Well, Whitney as certainly the physio yesterday, holding the bags and wearing the gloves etc.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Not according to Cumbria Saddler he wasn't.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Jolly Jonny you probably had the better view, i think youo said you were over on the home side of the ground.

It was probably just the beer making the physio look different from a distance :D

Also, anyone know who the bloke my father was talking to, said he lives up near Carlisle... wasnt aware of any other Saddlers up here!
Last edited by cumbria-saddler on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Not according to Cumbria Saddler he wasn't.

Well according to me, who was 30 yards from the home dugout, it was Whitney!!

cumbria-saddler wrote:Jolly Jonny you probably had the better view, i think youo said you were over on the home side of the ground.

It was probably just the beer making the physio look different from a distance :D

Or maybe it was wishful thinking, hoping it was someone different on the bench for us to bring on!!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2011-12 Season