Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2011-2012 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, no text speak no OTT abuse!
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Rich Evans wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As for the strikers, I do think that we lack a natural finisher, which becomes more of a problem when the team creates few chances. The likelihood of us finding someone that fits the bill, however, are pretty remote given the salary we are willing to pay.

Bowerman has shown that he's as good a natural finisher as we've got. Frustratingly though, Smith seems to think that's not enough - hence his omission from the squad over recent weeks.

The fact that we now have a striker on trial who has failed to score for Bradford, Mansfield and Darlington is an insult.

I think i can see what smith is thinking.

In Bowerman we have a naturall finisher who plays high up on the last defenders shoulder and creates chances that way yet having him on the pitch at the expense of who is the question.

Bowerman for Macken and you potentially lose the ability to have someone hold the ball up field and bring others into play and utilise some pace from Nicholls

Bowerman for Nicholls and potentially you will lose pace from deep and the few crosses that we have had have come from Nicholls

Its a fine balancing act i know and thats why i just try to enjoy the football and not get too involved in that side of things.

I appreciate that it's a tough decision, but we're approaching the stage where Smith just needs to do something for the sake of our season. Macken and Nicholls isn't working, so we absolutely have to try something else as a matter of urgency. Dean Smith is the manager and he is paid a decent enough salary to make touch decisions - including who he relies on to get the goals we need to stay up.

As for the 'hype' around Bowerman, he's improved us every time he's come on as sub. He might yet prove to be substandard, but he's certainly done enough to deserve a chance from the start.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 14/1/12.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As for the strikers, I do think that we lack a natural finisher, which becomes more of a problem when the team creates few chances. The likelihood of us finding someone that fits the bill, however, are pretty remote given the salary we are willing to pay.

Bowerman has shown that he's as good a natural finisher as we've got. Frustratingly though, Smith seems to think that's not enough - hence his omission from the squad over recent weeks.

The fact that we now have a striker on trial who has failed to score for Bradford, Mansfield and Darlington is an insult.

I think i can see what smith is thinking.

In Bowerman we have a naturall finisher who plays high up on the last defenders shoulder and creates chances that way yet having him on the pitch at the expense of who is the question.

Bowerman for Macken and you potentially lose the ability to have someone hold the ball up field and bring others into play and utilise some pace from Nicholls

Bowerman for Nicholls and potentially you will lose pace from deep and the few crosses that we have had have come from Nicholls

Its a fine balancing act i know and thats why i just try to enjoy the football and not get too involved in that side of things.

I appreciate that it's a tough decision, but we're approaching the stage where Smith just needs to do something for the sake of our season. Macken and Nicholls isn't working, so we absolutely have to try something else as a matter of urgency. Dean Smith is the manager and he is paid a decent enough salary to make touch decisions - including who he relies on to get the goals we need to stay up.

As for the 'hype' around Bowerman, he's improved us every time he's come on as sub. He might yet prove to be substandard, but he's certainly done enough to deserve a chance from the start.

Agreed

Previous
Return to 2011-12 Season